inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Am I the only person left in the world without a cell phone?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/08/07 at 10:26 am

Everybody I know seems to have one.  I've always liked having one less bill every month, and knowing that I can effectively be unreachable does have it's benefits.  Plus, I can always bum one off of someone else if I really need to.

Subject: Re: Am I the only person left in the world without a cell phone?

Written By: ADH13 on 05/08/07 at 10:41 am

haha I had the same mentality when I got my first cell phone.  "This is only going to be for emergencies", I told myself.  Now, I keep my landline only for emergencies - I understand you get through much faster when calling 911 from a landline. 

Written By: nally on 05/08/07 at 10:52 am

You're kidding... most everyone who I know has a cell phone. I have maybe one friend who for sure doesn't have one. I'm glad I have one so that I can make a call from anywhere, anytime, and for whatever reason.

Written By: spaceace on 05/08/07 at 10:56 am

I hate cell phones.  I like being unreachable at times, like when I'm shopping or just bumming around. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/08/07 at 11:45 am

You might be one of the few without a cell phone.  Even most 8 year olds have them.  ;D

I have one but I never get calls on it (except from my hubby), mine stays in the car.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/07 at 12:05 pm

You are not the only one, for I did have a mobile phone for a year about two years ago, but it packed up on me. Now I have the attitude of, I have managed without a mobile phone for 45 years, so why do I need one now?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/07 at 12:06 pm

We broke down and got one a few years ago because everyone b1tched that they couldn't get a hold of us (since we have dial-up). It usually sits here right next to the computer but there are a few times when it leaves-like when we are travelling or go out on the boat. It is great way for people to get in touch with us-or with us with them. Usually, we will leave it turned off but will turn it on a few times just to check (this also saves on the battery because there are many times we are out of range and when it is roaming, it drains the battery). We have used it a couple of times at auctions. When we are previewing stuff, we have called my sister to check how some things are selling. She will let us know if things are worth bidding on it or not (we have only done this twice). And we did use it yesterday. Carlos dropped me off at the mall as he went to an appointment. He called me right before he left so I knew it was time to go and meet him and where he was to pick me up. That way, neither one of us were waiting endlessly, not knowing where the other one was. But, like I said, most of the time, it stays home. We are not the kind who constinately have it glued to our ear. What we like about it is that we only give the # to the people we really WANT to talk to. Everyone else who tries to call us, usually gets the busy signal.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/07 at 12:34 pm

we don't currently have one....because we are trying to catch up on other bills, and don't feel like paying an extra $100 a month for 2 cell phones (that's what we were paying with our prior service).

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/07 at 1:09 pm

I don't have a cell phone. I occasionally borrow Nicole's though.

Side note: last night I got maintenance call for a room. I arrived at the door and knocked and announced myself. I could hear the guest talking, but she didn't hear me. I knocked again and announced myself again. Still no answer. Then I heard something to the effect of "some idiot put the toilet paper on the holder backwards". Yes, she was on her cell phone while conducting other business...

...One more reason why I'm probably never getting a cell phone.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/08/07 at 1:38 pm

We have a good neighbor friend who doesn't have a cell phone OR a computer!  :o

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/07 at 3:13 pm

I don't have a cellphone, and I never plan on getting one.  I look around at people with cellphones, and i can't help but wonder "who is that person talking to, and is it an important call?"

the idea of cellphones should be for use incase of an emergency, not to leisurely talk with your buddy while you are behind the wheel of a car ::)

Written By: Tia on 05/08/07 at 3:37 pm

I have one and I hate it, just because it’s so expensive. I’m thinking of going to a pay-as-you-go plan, because I don’t use it that much and I’m paying a prespammersite amount of money every month for it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/08/07 at 3:42 pm

I've had one for about 4 years now. Prior to that, it really was just one less bill to think about. The only reason I hang onto mine now is because where I live I don't use a landline (it belongs to our landlady who uses it, otherwise I'd have to fork out money to set a separate line for myself, which really isn't worth it if the situation is temporary). So, until I get a place where I can use my own line, I will continue using my cell. One of the nice things about cells is that calling someone across the country appears to be far cheaper than if I were to use a separate long-distance company like MCI or Sprint on a landline.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/07 at 4:17 pm

I have a cell phone and sometimes it gets boring to carry one that's clipped to your pocket cause many times in the past my cell phone has dropped in the toilet bowl or was lost and I felt so anxious about it.So In a way,It's good to have one.I like it because of the many different ringtones and my ringtone is just a regular house phone tone.

So to all who have one let's do some phone toasting... ;D

Written By: Marian on 05/08/07 at 4:21 pm

No I don't have on e either for now

Written By: Howard on 05/08/07 at 4:23 pm

No I don't have one either for now

Do you plan on getting one? ???

Written By: Marian on 05/08/07 at 4:24 pm

Do you plan on getting one? ???
Well,the bills are expensive and they tack on a charge for every little thing.I really need to research the true cost before getting one.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/07 at 4:28 pm

Well,the bills are expensive and they tack on a charge for every little thing.I really need to research the true cost before getting one.

try getting one with a cheaper plan.

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/08/07 at 4:43 pm

Cell phones are awesome,over here nobody uses a landline anymore. To me they're the best invention ever, i never had a landline,even growing up we never had a phone,so we would go to our neighbours to receive calls, or to the street booth to make them,it was such an hassle. Plus when you move around so much a cellphone becomes a necessity,mine saved my life so many times,so i kind love him,yes it's an he and i even named him,so what? :P

Written By: Howard on 05/08/07 at 4:54 pm

Cell phones are awesome,over here nobody uses a landline anymore. To me they're the best invention ever, i never had a landline,even growing up we never had a phone,so we would go to our neighbours to receive calls, or to the street booth to make them,it was such an hassle. Plus when you move around so much a cellphone becomes a necessity,mine saved my life so many times,so i kind love him,yes it's an he and i even named him,so what? :P

What'd you name him... Phone-y? ::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/08/07 at 5:13 pm

What'd you name him... Phone-y? ::)

Nope 'cause he doesn't understand english ::)

I'll never tell,i'll never tell

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/08/07 at 5:30 pm

Everybody I know seems to have one.  I've always liked having one less bill every month, and knowing that I can effectively be unreachable does have it's benefits.  Plus, I can always bum one off of someone else if I really need to.
You're not the only one ChuckyG. I agree with your reasons and would add, that I don't have a cell phone & refuse to have one., nor do I have any desire to have a phone number that people will inevitably get & be able to call me wherever I am. My wife & daughter each have one & everyone says I should get one "for emergency purposes/use only". Everywhere I go, people are on their cell phones, at the store as they are checking out in front of me, leaving work people are immediately on their phones & when they are behind me, with their hands full & phone to ear, I purposely do not hold the door for them (there are exceptions  ;) ). When stopped at intersections, I am amazed at the number of people in their cars on the phone. In the dugout at my ball games, phones ring & guys stop what they're doing to take that call. On the shuttle to the airport, my friends wife called him to see what he was doing? at the airport she called him again to see what he was doing? No sir/mamn! I am holding on to the little freedom I have from being tracked and hounded as long as I can, or until I have an emergency, then I'll get one.                maybe

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/08/07 at 6:24 pm

You're not the only one ChuckyG. I agree with your reasons and would add, that I don't have a cell phone & refuse to have one., nor do I have any desire to have a phone number that people will inevitably get & be able to call me wherever I am. My wife & daughter each have one & everyone says I should get one "for emergency purposes/use only". Everywhere I go, people are on their cell phones, at the store as they are checking out in front of me, leaving work people are immediately on their phones & when they are behind me, with their hands full & phone to ear, I purposely do not hold the door for them (there are exceptions  ;) ). When stopped at intersections, I am amazed at the number of people in their cars on the phone. In the dugout at my ball games, phones ring & guys stop what they're doing to take that call. On the shuttle to the airport, my friends wife called him to see what he was doing? at the airport she called him again to see what he was doing? No sir/mamn! I am holding on to the little freedom I have from being tracked and hounded as long as I can, or until I have an emergency, then I'll get one.                maybe

I think "for emergency purposes/use only". is the excuse I hear the most, yet the reason I see them used the least.

I read a story about a guy who saw one of the first brick phones being used by someone in a bar somewhere.  When it rang everyone got a little hushed, because hey, this must be important if they're calling him on a phone that costs $2 a minute.  What did he end up overhearing?  "Yes honey, I'll stop and pick up the dry cleaning on the way home".  The author of the story said it was the most important thing he ever heard discussed on a cell phone, and the value of the conversations have been steadily dropping steadily since then.

Electric leash is one of the names I call them.  I already get more calls at work than I want, having another way to be reached by anyone I know sounds like a really bad idea.  What I really would want, is something that filters any call I receive, and make people answer whether it was an emergency or not.  People who abuse the "emergency" function would cease to get the ability to use it and have to leave a message.  Maybe I'm more sensitive to it because my job requires concentration.  I hate to get interrupted when I've solved a problem and I'm building the solution.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/08/07 at 6:43 pm

I often think back to the days before cell phones went mainstream and how people seemed less "self-absorbed." Now, it's like everyone's in their own world. Usually, if I get a call during dinner, lunch, or anything of that sort that I'm sharing with someone else, I'll seldom receive the call. I often find it rude to pick it up in the middle of a conversation with someone. I also feel that if someone always thinks you're available just because you have a cell phone attached to you 24/7, then it's good to be picky with the calls you pick up on the spot and the ones you let  go to Voice mail.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/08/07 at 6:56 pm

I think "for emergency purposes/use only". is the excuse I hear the most, yet the reason I see them used the least.

Electric leash is one of the names I call them.  I already get more calls at work than I want, having another way to be reached by anyone I know sounds like a really bad idea. 
first time I heard that term "electric leash"  ;D  and it sounds true for my friend.  and now check this out. My work mate just stopped by as I am posting this, and he's got a band, and he's got 5 songs on CD he wants me to listen to. His cell phone rings as he & I are talking, he answers and immediatley I know it's his wife, and he says "hey, I'll call you right back", why?, because I'm at someones desk talking right now, I'll call you back"  :o  perfect timing for that phone call as I'm on this thread. 

I often think back to the days before cell phones went mainstream and how people seemed less "self-absorbed." Now, it's like everyone's in their own world. Usually, if I get a call during dinner, lunch, or anything of that sort that I'm sharing with someone else, I'll seldom receive the call. I often find it rude to pick it up in the middle of a conversation with someone. I also feel that if someone always thinks you're available just because you have a cell phone attached to you 24/7, then it's good to be picky with the calls you pick up on the spot and the ones you let  go to Voice mail.
It is rude to get phone calls when you're at dinner with friends. Diane & I went out to dinner with another couple, we sit, and they both take out their phones and set them on the table & the female made 2 calls and recieved one during our dinner. WTF!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/08/07 at 7:08 pm

^ tell me about!! I'll usually keep mine out just in case so I'll know who's calling, but not to actually pick it up.

Speaking of cell phones, I heard my cell ringing earlier, and for some really strange reason I can't find my phone - it's gone totally missing!!  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/07 at 7:43 pm

It is rude to get phone calls when you're at dinner with friends. Diane & I went out to dinner with another couple, we sit, and they both take out their phones and set them on the table & the female made 2 calls and recieved one during our dinner. WTF!

That is rude. The only time I could see if they were checking on the kids/babysitter or the kids/babysitter were letting them know some important info-like the house was on fire or something like that. But just to call and make conversation while you are at dinner-that is just rude to the people you are having dinner with.

When I am with one of my best friends, she does carry her cell. If it rings, it is usually her husband who tells her that she needs to stop some place to pick up something (part of their business). Or she will call her husband telling him that we are about to leave town and to see if she needs to pick anything up. Most calls last a total of 2 minutes (if that). And if we are on the rode when the phone rings, she will pull over. To me, that is a legitimate reason for using the cell. Actually, IMO most legitimate calls last no more than 2 minutes if you are out and about. If you want to just talk, you should do it when you are at home but not at the mall, the gas station, in the car, or any other place and to carry on a conversation so loud that everyone in the world can hear your business. 

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/08/07 at 7:56 pm

That is rude. The only time I could see if they were checking on the kids/babysitter or the kids/babysitter were letting them know some important info-like the house was on fire or something like that. But just to call and make conversation while you are at dinner-that is just rude to the people you are having dinner with.

When I am with one of my best friends, she does carry her cell. If it rings, it is usually her husband who tells her that she needs to stop some place to pick up something (part of their business). Or she will call her husband telling him that we are about to leave town and to see if she needs to pick anything up. Most calls last a total of 2 minutes (if that). And if we are on the rode when the phone rings, she will pull over. To me, that is a legitimate reason for using the cell. Actually, IMO most legitimate calls last no more than 2 minutes if you are out and about. If you want to just talk, you should do it when you are at home but not at the mall, the gas station, in the car, or any other place and to carry on a conversation so loud that everyone in the world can hear your business. 

Cat
yes, i thought it was rude, but i guess their lives are quite busy and people need to get a hold of them.    BS!  ;D
I call Diane on her cell all the time when she's out and about, mainly because she is always going to the grocery store & I'll ask her to pick me up some things.  wasn't Maxwell Smart/Agent 86 the first to utilize a portable phone. the famous shoe phone

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/07 at 8:07 pm

yes, i thought it was rude, but i guess their lives are quite busy and people need to get a hold of them.    BS!  ;D
I call Diane on her cell all the time when she's out and about, mainly because she is always going to the grocery store & I'll ask her to pick me up some things.  wasn't Maxwell Smart/Agent 86 the first to utilize a portable phone. the famous shoe phone

I don't have a problem with that. "Oh Honey, while you are out, can you pick up...." I'm sure that call is under 2 minutes (like I said in my earlier post).

I don't know if it was Maxwell Smart (the character, not the board member) who first used the portable phone for Capt. James T. Kirk.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/08/07 at 8:15 pm

People use cell phones everywhere.

I was using the restroom at Walmart and I heard the lady in the next stall talking, at first I though she was asking for toilet paper then I realized that she was on the phone.  :o

I was in Walgreen's in NY a few weeks back and the guy working the register was talking on his cell phone.  I don't think that should be allowed. 

If someone needs to get in touch with you while you're at work or at school they need to call the office. 

And like I said mine is mainly for emergencies (I do get the "Honey could you...? calls), I'm female and I have 2 children and I wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of the road, especially at night.  The only time mine actually leaves the car is if my daughter wants to carry it into the store.  ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/08/07 at 8:18 pm

I don't have a problem with that. "Oh Honey, while you are out, can you pick up...." I'm sure that call is under 2 minutes (like I said in my earlier post).

I don't know if it was Maxwell Smart (the character, not the board member) who first used the portable phone for Capt. James T. Kirk.

Cat
oh yes, James Tiberius Kirk.  Now if phones had phasers,  I'd get one

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/07 at 8:21 pm

oh yes, James Tiberius Kirk.  Now if phones had phasers,  I'd get one

And you can use those phasers (on stun of course) on all those people who blab constinately on their cells-like when you are at dinner.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/08/07 at 8:24 pm

And you can use those phasers (on stun of course) on all those people who blab constinately on their cells-like when you are at dinner.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat
I would use stun so much I'd need to recharge every night

Written By: Step-chan on 05/08/07 at 8:35 pm

I don't have one myself, never really thought of getting one.

Written By: san018 on 05/08/07 at 8:51 pm

I dont have one!!!

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/07 at 9:24 pm

I've heard people on the crapper using cellphones also.  One time, I was in a public restroom using a stall and some guy at the sink pulls out his phone and calls someone, so as I sat there, I made the usual bathroom noises while I screamed real loud, gross things like how much it burns when it comes out ;D

Written By: nally on 05/08/07 at 9:44 pm

You might be one of the few without a cell phone.  Even most 8 year olds have them.   ;D

You gotta be kidding me. It just doesn't seem right for someone that age...at least from my point of view. :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/08/07 at 9:51 pm

which was the reason for me getting one. When I was just starting college, I would commute home via public transportation (namely the bus), and on the beginning of my second week, the bus broke down, and I had no way of letting my family know about it, so they became worried. Eventually the bus was back up and running, and I got home (late), and then my mom got home in tears. I had to explain to her (for the first time) that my bus had broken down, "and I had no way of getting a hold of you." So for the rest of the week, my mom let me use her phone, and at the end of the week, I got my first one. So then I could let my family know when I was on my way home, and if any problems arose.

Still...these days I only use it when I need to.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/08/07 at 9:57 pm

Most calls last a total of 2 minutes (if that). And if we are on the rode when the phone rings, she will pull over. To me, that is a legitimate reason for using the cell.

In Vermont it's probably not as hectic as down here in Mass., but it's still dangerous to pull onto the shoulder of a road and especially the highway to receive a phone call.  My mother pulled into the breakdown lane of a highway to answer a call and a cop pulled up behind her and told her it wasn't safe to be pulled off onto the shoulder except for emergencies.  A side road is probably not too bad, but then again, people drive too fast everywhere now, and are generally distracted (cellphones, eating, makeup, you name it) and even if you're in a wide open space half off the road, you're still at a greater risk for getting hit.  Do a youtube search for accidents where people hit parked cars, even parked cruisers.

my view is, if it's an emergency, don't call me, call an ambulance.  Almost any reason I can think of for having it, usually comes down to someone else's convenience.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/07 at 10:18 pm

I absolutely hate whenever I am at work and the customer I am waiting on/assisting is on their cell phone. I am trying to tell them things and talk to them...and they are engrossed in a convo on the cell with God knows who...that is so rude. >:(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/09/07 at 2:15 am

I absolutely hate whenever I am at work and the customer I am waiting on/assisting is on their cell phone. I am trying to tell them things and talk to them...and they are engrossed in a convo on the cell with God knows who...that is so rude. >:(
just ignore them until they are done talking or turn your back on them

Written By: karen on 05/09/07 at 3:53 am

I have a mobile phone.  We bought our first phone when our daughter was born so that we could keep in touch with each other.  I have been asked to come home from a meeting because one of the children was very ill.  Very few people know my number and I would say most every call I get is about something rather than just random chat i.e. picking up the children, picking up something specific from the supermarket or being late meeting me etc.  I pull onto a side street and park if my phone rings whilst I am in the car.

Edited to add:  Luke's post below reminded me that I meant to say my phone is pre-pay.  It possibly costs a little more per call (I don't know) but I use the phone so little that it would be pointless paying a plan that gave me 60 free minutes a month because they would not be used.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/09/07 at 4:31 am

I have a prepay cellphone which I top up when I need to. No monthly bills etc. I like that you can add numbers to your phone so that if, for example, work called asking if you wanted to come in, you don't have to answer.  ::)

If people want to reach me and I'm cycling, in the shop, studying, driving, watching TV, walking along a tight-rope without a harness, they can bloody wait.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/07 at 4:34 am

You gotta be kidding me. It just doesn't seem right for someone that age...at least from my point of view. :-\\

Disney currently makes a cellphone line currently aimed towards kids of a younger age.  When I was a kid, i never needed a cellphone. 'Course they didn't exist back then, but even still .. what 8 year old needs a cellphone?

Little Billy: "I like my phone because it enables me to make a conference call to Timmy, my bestest friend in the whole wide world.  He lives down the block, and his mommy won't let him come out and play cause he hasn't cleaned his room.  She is a big stupid poop head and a big meanie"

;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/09/07 at 4:38 am

Edited to add:  Luke's post below reminded me that I meant to say my phone is pre-pay.  It possibly costs a little more per call (I don't know) but I use the phone so little that it would be pointless paying a plan that gave me 60 free minutes a month because they would not be used.
Exactly my reason for using prepay too. I'd never use 500 texts a month or even 60 minutes a month, so those plans aren't worth it for me.

Written By: karen on 05/09/07 at 4:39 am

Disney currently makes a cellphone line currently aimed towards kids of a younger age.  When I was a kid, i never needed a cellphone. 'Course they didn't exist back then, but even still .. what 8 year old needs a cellphone?

Ha!  A few years ago I was helping at a camp for Cub Scouts.  It was for the older ones so they were aged between 9 and a half and 10 and a half.  One boy was away from home for the first time and his mum gave him her mobile so he could call home if he needed her.  He was phoning every half hour or so to talk to her the first night.  At least until they left the phone off the hook.  ;D  Overnight one of the other leaders heard him crying.  When she asked what was wrong he said he'd tried to ring his mum and she wasn't answering the phone.  He wanted to know where she was.  This was at 3.30 in the morning!  Bet his mum was regretting giving him the phone

Written By: Howard on 05/09/07 at 6:36 am

Before I head off to sleep at night,I turn my phone on to "silent mode" so that way,My Parents and I could sleep and we wouldn't have to be disturbed by any loud ringing inthe evening.Does anyone do that? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/09/07 at 6:37 am

Anybody in the mood for phone toasting?  ;D

Written By: karen on 05/09/07 at 6:50 am

Anybody in the mood for phone toasting?  ;D

Howard you've mentioned this before but I'm not sure many people here will remember what you are on about.  I only know because someone (Midas I think) mentioned it afges ago and I searched for the thread (which survives in the archive)

Written By: Howard on 05/09/07 at 6:52 am

Howard you've mentioned this before but I'm not sure many people here will remember what you are on about.  I only know because someone (Midas I think) mentioned it afges ago and I searched for the thread (which survives in the archive)

Karen,phone toasting is like toasting glasses for a celebration only this time we're toasting phones for everyone that has one. ;D

Written By: Gis on 05/09/07 at 6:56 am

I resisted for ages but i had a couple of occassions where i got stranded while travelling and couldn't get hold of anyone so I gave in and got one. Now if i use it at all it's for texting people. I find it very useful for my brother and sister who will talk for HOURS when all you want to do is say meet me tomorrow at 7 or something similar so in that respect texting is a god send!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/09/07 at 7:21 am

I have one and it drives hubby batty that I'm not attached to it like he is.  Most of the time, the battery is dead or I don't hear it in my purse so I don't answer it and he says "Why do you have a cell phone if you're not going to answer it" and I say "Sorry, I didn't marry my phone, I chose you" ;D

My hubby is addicted to his phone and his treo (yes, he has both)  I've threatened to throw both of them across the room at times because he'll just be "checking his email" a bazillion times a night instead of paying attention to the kids or me.  We've gotten into massive fights over him answering the phone/responding to email when the kids and I are waiting patiently (sometimes for close to 1/2 hour) >:(

My brother & SIL use their cell phones for everything.  They don't even have a landline anymore.  He's usually on tour so it's either use the cell phone to talk to each other or find a pay phone......whenever they call me, they call me on my cell because the mobile-to-mobile calls are unlimited :P

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/09/07 at 9:13 am

I think 8 is too young also, but I know when Megan gets to that age and all of her friends have them she'll want on too. 

Written By: karen on 05/09/07 at 9:23 am

I think 8 is too young also, but I know when Megan gets to that age and all of her friends have them she'll want on too. 

You just have to stick to your principles and be a 'mean mum'

Written By: statsqueen on 05/09/07 at 11:34 am

Karen,phone toasting is like toasting glasses for a celebration only this time we're toasting phones for everyone that has one. ;D

I'm in

Written By: statsqueen on 05/09/07 at 11:35 am

Before I head off to sleep at night,I turn my phone on to "silent mode" so that way,My Parents and I could sleep and we wouldn't have to be disturbed by any loud ringing inthe evening.Does anyone do that? ???

I did when I stayed with my boyfriend so he wouldn't be disturbed, but then there was an incident with my parents and my dad made me feel so guilty for not being available that now I leave mine on right next to my bed (no longer w/ the boyfriend, so no problem there)

Written By: tv on 05/09/07 at 11:56 am

I have a cell phone and have had one for 6 years now. I don;t even use it that much. I sometimes will turn off the phone but if somebody leaces a message I will gladly call them back. I am not one of those people in my car using my cell phone while driving. I am not married to my cell phone like some people are.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/09/07 at 12:18 pm

You just have to stick to your principles and be a 'mean mum'

I feel like I'm always a mean mum!!  I think "No" is my most used word!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/07 at 12:44 pm

In Vermont it's probably not as hectic as down here in Mass., but it's still dangerous to pull onto the shoulder of a road and especially the highway to receive a phone call.  My mother pulled into the breakdown lane of a highway to answer a call and a cop pulled up behind her and told her it wasn't safe to be pulled off onto the shoulder except for emergencies.  A side road is probably not too bad, but then again, people drive too fast everywhere now, and are generally distracted (cellphones, eating, makeup, you name it) and even if you're in a wide open space half off the road, you're still at a greater risk for getting hit.  Do a youtube search for accidents where people hit parked cars, even parked cruisers.

my view is, if it's an emergency, don't call me, call an ambulance.  Almost any reason I can think of for having it, usually comes down to someone else's convenience.

That is true. Up here, our highways are not too hectic. Also, Vermont just past a law about driving with your cell phone to your ear. They tried to include eating, drinking, smoking, putting on make-up, etc. but I think only the cell phone passed. (I could be wrong).

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/09/07 at 1:52 pm

My hubby wants to get one for our 11-year-old daughter...but I see absolutely no reason for her having to have one!  ::)

Written By: Paul on 05/09/07 at 1:57 pm

No...I've no use for one...

(And, having said that, sometime in the not-too-distant future, the car will most likely break down 50 miles from civilisation... ::))

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/09/07 at 1:59 pm

(And, having said that, sometime in the not-too-distant future, the car will most likely break down 50 miles from civilisation... ::))

Oh, don't say that!  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 05/09/07 at 2:04 pm

Oh, don't say that!  :-\\

Too late...I just have!

There's only one thing I can do...and that's avoid going anywhere approaching 50 miles from civilisation!

Written By: statsqueen on 05/09/07 at 2:11 pm

Too late...I just have!

There's only one thing I can do...and that's avoid going anywhere approaching 50 miles from civilisation!

lmao  ;D  Here's some Karma to try and ward it off!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/09/07 at 2:12 pm

Too late...I just have!

And make sure you keep your car tuned up!

Written By: statsqueen on 05/09/07 at 2:28 pm

I got my first one a few yrs ago when I was at a conference in Denver.  I got Micah a Trac phone when she turned 15 and a cell phone for her 16th birthday (she is on my plan).  It is nice to be able to stay in touch with her when she leaves the house.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/09/07 at 2:53 pm

Just read through this thread, and based on what I've read, I'd probably be accused of being married to my phone, although I refuse to chat in the bathroom and during other private-like situations.

Written By: Marian on 05/09/07 at 3:22 pm

Ha!  A few years ago I was helping at a camp for Cub Scouts.  It was for the older ones so they were aged between 9 and a half and 10 and a half.  One boy was away from home for the first time and his mum gave him her mobile so he could call home if he needed her.  He was phoning every half hour or so to talk to her the first night.  At least until they left the phone off the hook.  ;D  Overnight one of the other leaders heard him crying.  When she asked what was wrong he said he'd tried to ring his mum and she wasn't answering the phone.  He wanted to know where she was.  This was at 3.30 in the morning!  Bet his mum was regretting giving him the phone
Where she was???perhaps-----in bed??? ::)

Written By: Marian on 05/09/07 at 3:24 pm

I've heard people on the crapper using cellphones also.  One time, I was in a public restroom using a stall and some guy at the sink pulls out his phone and calls someone, so as I sat there, I made the usual bathroom noises while I screamed real loud, gross things like how much it burns when it comes out ;D
That is so funny!if people are obn the cell phone while i'm at the library,i always manage to find something funny to read and laugh loudly.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/07 at 7:00 pm

What's everyone's ringtone?

Written By: Howard on 05/09/07 at 7:01 pm

I did when I stayed with my boyfriend so he wouldn't be disturbed, but then there was an incident with my parents and my dad made me feel so guilty for not being available that now I leave mine on right next to my bed (no longer w/ the boyfriend, so no problem there)

So you can keep it as loud as you want?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/09/07 at 9:24 pm

I guess I'm sorta in the middle of the division on this (as I am with alot of things). I had my mom's old cellphone in the late '90s and got my own in 2001. I've had one ever since, although I admit I don't give it alot of use. It's pretty basic, which works fine for me, although it's kinda embarrasingly old-school now, lol.

On one hand, I agree it's annoying and sometimes passively inconsiderate how some people are surgically attached to them, but it's nice to have for conveinence sake.

Written By: karen on 05/10/07 at 5:46 am

My hubby wants to get one for our 11-year-old daughter...but I see absolutely no reason for her having to have one!  ::)

my sister-in-law bought one for her daughter so that she can ring home when she gets to school and when she starts her journey home  ::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/10/07 at 7:03 am

Same here.  Next year, the way our school district is set up, the middle school is out in the middle of the boondocks and anyone who stays after school (for sports, etc) is bussed into town around 5:15-5:30 (I think) so we'll probably get him one so he can call when they're on their way for me to go pick him up.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/10/07 at 9:53 am

Another thing regarding the common criticism - I don't think it's cellphones themselves that are the problem, it's the way people use them. Because of how human nature works, it's the idiots who talk on them behind the wheel, or make a call when they're in the checkout line (working in retail, I've come across this tons of times and always have to bite my tongue, lol) who get the attention and the stereotype, more than the "responsible" ones.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/10/07 at 9:55 am

Another thing regarding the common criticism - I don't think it's cellphones themselves that are the problem, it's the way people use them. Because of how human nature works, it's the idiots who talk on them behind the wheel, or make a call when they're in the checkout line (working in retail, I've come across this tons of times and always have to bite my tongue, lol) who get the attention and the stereotype, more than the "responsible" ones.

yea, I agree. I have almost had numerous people wreck into me while I was driving...and every single time it happened...I looked and they were too busy talking on their phone. I cannot believe this hasn't been a law in every state yet...to ban cell phone useage while driving...it really should be.

Written By: karen on 05/10/07 at 9:57 am

yea, I agree. I have almost had numerous people wreck into me while I was driving...and every single time it happened...I looked and they were too busy talking on their phone. I cannot believe this hasn't been a law in every state yet...to ban cell phone useage while driving...it really should be.

It's illegal in the UK but it doesn't stop people.  The fine is something tiny like £60

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/07 at 10:00 am

It's illegal in the UK but it doesn't stop people.  The fine is something tiny like £60
I think there are points on your driving license too.

Written By: karen on 05/10/07 at 10:05 am

I think there are points on your driving license too.

You are correct.  Three points

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/mobilephones/mobilephones.htm

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 10:13 am

£60?  That's peanuts.  People caught using their cellphone while driving should have their license suspended.  It's the only way they will learn

The correct procedure is to pull off to the side of the road if you have to make or answer a call on your cellphone, but no one is ever going to do that :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/10/07 at 10:22 am

Yeah, not like there's not enough bad drivers out there already. ;D

I can sorta understand, say travelling salespeople or businessmen using them on the road (it is alot easier for anyone to not have to go get out and use a payphone - that feels so Stone Age now, lol), but even then, they ought to have the common courtesy to pull over and talk. If it rings while you're driving, wait until you get to a safe place to stop.

Personally, if mine goes off when I'm in a social situation or even in a store, I always wait until later. Even if it's no big deal, there's just something about sharing a conversation with people around me that's kinda awkward. Like you, I also get ticked off when I get customers in line who yak away.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 12:36 pm

I must admit that there was one time I yaked in public-and that was to a fellow board member (Mama K). That was last year when Carlos was in surgery and I needed her to distract me. At that point, I could have cared less-my mind was on something else. I'm sure everyone who was around me at that time who heard the conversation probably understood because I mentioned (a few times) about the situation.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 2:44 pm

Same here.  Next year, the way our school district is set up, the middle school is out in the middle of the boondocks and anyone who stays after school (for sports, etc) is bussed into town around 5:15-5:30 (I think) so we'll probably get him one so he can call when they're on their way for me to go pick him up.

I could understand a child having one for that purpose.  I think that's a good idea.  :)

Written By: nally on 05/10/07 at 7:18 pm

Disney currently makes a cellphone line currently aimed towards kids of a younger age.  When I was a kid, i never needed a cellphone. 'Course they didn't exist back then, but even still .. what 8 year old needs a cellphone?

Little Billy: "I like my phone because it enables me to make a conference call to Timmy, my bestest friend in the whole wide world.  He lives down the block, and his mommy won't let him come out and play cause he hasn't cleaned his room.  She is a big stupid poop head and a big meanie"

;D

Oh...okay. I didn't know that. Still, when I was 8 I probably wouldn't have wanted one anyway. Not that there were many cell phone users back then, but still..

Written By: Apricot on 05/10/07 at 7:24 pm

I got sick of bumming phones and I wanted to call friends (I'm not allowed to use the house phone) on rare occasion, mostly the ones that live far away that I rarely see (the main person I got the phone to talk to I no longer speak to, ironically)... but the cell gets awful annoying. I leave it off unless I need to make calls or it's important I be reached, or someone I want to talk to might call.. I have a few friends who get overbearing on calling all the time.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/07 at 7:28 pm

I think city buses are becoming personal telephone booths,Do Any of you agree with this statement? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/10/07 at 7:28 pm

I think cell phones are cool.I like the way that there are many different ringtones and everybody keeps checking to see if it's their phone that's ringing,struggling to answer it but they know it's somebody else's.  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 05/10/07 at 7:41 pm

What pisses me off is people trying to text while they're TRYING to drive. >:(

Written By: Howard on 05/10/07 at 7:42 pm

What pisses me off is people trying to text while they're TRYING to drive. >:(

That doubles their chances of getting into an accident! >:(

Written By: spaceace on 05/10/07 at 7:44 pm

That doubles their chances of getting into an accident! >:(

But yet it still happens. :P

Written By: Howard on 05/10/07 at 7:50 pm

But yet it still happens. :P

everyone is in their own world! ::)

Written By: spaceace on 05/10/07 at 7:52 pm

everyone is in their own world! ::)

Till there is a misspelled word and a near fatal accident. :P

Written By: Howard on 05/10/07 at 8:08 pm

Till there is a misspelled word and a near fatal accident. :P

Just like walking and talking. ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/11/07 at 1:47 am

as of today, I still have no phone and even if I have an emergency, I think I still won't get one.

Written By: spaceace on 05/11/07 at 3:09 am

as of today, I still have no phone and even if I have an emergency, I think I still won't get one.

Smoke signals. :)

Written By: statsqueen on 05/11/07 at 7:26 am

My phone hardly ever rings, so no problem there.

We have a strict rule that while you are driving, that is the ONLY activity you are engaged in.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/07 at 2:40 pm

Does anyone walk and talk or use those things that you put in your ear that makes you look like Spock? ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/11/07 at 2:41 pm

So you're still using payphones?

Written By: statsqueen on 05/11/07 at 2:44 pm

I don't think there is a payphone in the entire town of Big Rapids!

Written By: Howard on 05/11/07 at 2:45 pm

I don't think there is a payphone in the entire town of Big Rapids!

New York as of late still has payphones around somewhere.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/07 at 2:51 pm

New York as of late still has payphones around somewhere.
Where else can Superman change?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/07 at 2:59 pm

In a dark parking lot?  ;D

Written By: Marian on 05/11/07 at 3:39 pm

or the Everly Brothers--oh wait,they were just calling someone on the album cover.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/11/07 at 7:26 pm

;D  no, I'm not using them either. I don't need to.  I don't have any reasons to be on the phone when I am away from my home or work. If Diane or Julie or anyone else wants to get a hold of me, they'll have to just wait until I get home. If I have a auto emergency, I'll just carjack the first person to pull over  :)

Written By: La Roche on 05/11/07 at 8:12 pm

If I have a auto emergency, I'll just carjack the first person to pull over  :)

Why wait for an auto-emergency?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/11/07 at 8:14 pm

Why wait for an auto-emergency?
Way to go Davey, you're always thinking out of the box.  ;D 

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/11/07 at 8:19 pm

You know what? Payphones actually seem pretty old-school now. ;D

I'd say that's one definer of the '90s versus today. They were everywhere back then, but I started seeing more and more of them torn down c. 1998, and it was noticeable by the early '00s. In my area, they're still around, but it's like one or two per parking lot or per block. Lots of the existing ones are in deplorable shape too (i.e. the phonebook with pages ripped out). Now it's just for if someone forgot their cellphone, I guess. They'll always be around for emergencies, of course.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/07 at 6:51 am

;D  no, I'm not using them either. I don't need to.  I don't have any reasons to be on the phone when I am away from my home or work. If Diane or Julie or anyone else wants to get a hold of me, they'll have to just wait until I get home. If I have a auto emergency, I'll just carjack the first person to pull over  :)

Do you use Onstar?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/12/07 at 8:05 am

Don't have one, don't have the need.  Save craploads of money  ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 05/12/07 at 12:30 pm

You know what? Payphones actually seem pretty old-school now. ;D

I'd say that's one definer of the '90s versus today. They were everywhere back then, but I started seeing more and more of them torn down c. 1998, and it was noticeable by the early '00s. In my area, they're still around, but it's like one or two per parking lot or per block. Lots of the existing ones are in deplorable shape too (i.e. the phonebook with pages ripped out). Now it's just for if someone forgot their cellphone, I guess. They'll always be around for emergencies, of course.

As long as you don't have the emergency in Big Rapids, you should be ok!  ;D  I have yet to see one around town (and like you said, they used to be everywhere--even in some of the buildings on campus). 

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/07 at 3:52 pm

I currently have 2 cell phones, but neither of them are really practical. One is an emergency deal I bargained with Verizon for.. that runs out in June and I will then get a new contract. My other is my UK cell-phone, which works in the US, but it's hard to add minutes to it (gotta use credit cards and spend like 20 minutes on the phone just to do it) so I use that sparingly. But yeah, in June I'll do a new contract with Verizon and probably get us all hooked up on one of those big family plans. Me, the two Steve's, my Uncle and my Grandparents and just split it 5 ways and do like 2000 minutes or something.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/07 at 4:01 pm

I currently have 2 cell phones, but neither of them are really practical. One is an emergency deal I bargained with Verizon for.. that runs out in June and I will then get a new contract. My other is my UK cell-phone, which works in the US, but it's hard to add minutes to it (gotta use credit cards and spend like 20 minutes on the phone just to do it) so I use that sparingly. But yeah, in June I'll do a new contract with Verizon and probably get us all hooked up on one of those big family plans. Me, the two Steve's, my Uncle and my Grandparents and just split it 5 ways and do like 2000 minutes or something.

Verizon sucks.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/07 at 4:18 pm

Verizon sucks.

Cat

They bloody well don't!!

I've never had a bad experience with them, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that almost every time I've had to speak with them I've had a pleasant experience and have usually come away with some sort of benefit.

I'm gonna assume you had a bad time with them?

I had a real crappy time with Cingular, so I told them to shove their contract up their ass.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/07 at 4:28 pm

They bloody well don't!!

I've never had a bad experience with them, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that almost every time I've had to speak with them I've had a pleasant experience and have usually come away with some sort of benefit.

I had a real crappy time with Cingular, so I told them to shove their contract up their ass.

We use Sprint.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/12/07 at 6:36 pm

What's the worst ringtone you've heard?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/12/07 at 7:08 pm

They bloody well don't!!

What's the worst ringtone you've heard?

The worst ringtone I ever heard was coming from a Cingular phone that had been shoved up somebody's ass.   :o   ;D

Written By: La Roche on 05/12/07 at 8:10 pm

{quote author=Davey Thrashmister link=topic=26615.msg1294623#msg1294623 date=1179004681]
They bloody well don't!!

The worst ringtone I ever heard was coming from a Cingular phone that had been shoved up somebody's ass.  :o  ;D

;D ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/07 at 5:03 am

I worked in the mobile phone wholesale world when they were still very new to Australia - from 1993 to 1996. So I have pretty much owned a mobile non stop since 1993.

I have always stuck with prepaid plans so I dont tend to use mine for conversations other than "I am here - pick me up" type stuff. I do use them a lot for sms texting.

My friends and I have entire conversations during the evenings via sms. Its great - it means we can get on with our night - be it on the computer or watching tv etc, but we can still have a conversation without interupting the other persons activities.

Re driving: over here its illegal to drive while talking on the mobile or using it to text - since July 2001. It includes even while pulled up at traffic lights. If you use a hand held mobile phone while driving you face a $100 fine and the loss of three demerit points.

Re children having them: I think in this day and age if technology allows children and teens a better element of safety then its a good thing. I think back to times when I wished I had the ability to call home in emergencies - like when I missed the last school bus and had no money for a pay phone (if I had found one in working order), or when my friends and I came out of concerts and missed the final train and had to call our parents to pick us up - again searching for an available and working pay phone was generally impossible.
I know here in Aus there are many kid friendly mobile phones that enable just emergency numbers and 3 family numbers to be dialed. http://www.geckoworld.com.au/phone-demo.htm
http://www.telstra.com.au/kidsintouch/index.html

Written By: Howard on 05/13/07 at 3:55 pm

I think city buses have become people's own personal telephone booths.Has anyone ever noticed this? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/13/07 at 3:56 pm

{quote author=Davey Thrashmister link=topic=26615.msg1294623#msg1294623 date=1179004681]
They bloody well don't!!

The worst ringtone I ever heard was coming from a Cingular phone that had been shoved up somebody's ass.   :o   ;D

Wow,That is the worst ringtone I've ever heard. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/07 at 5:26 pm

I think city buses have become people's own personal telephone booths.Has anyone ever noticed this? ???

Yeah, and they seem to think that they gotta talk REAL LOUD into the phone.

Then there are the people who have to repeat what they are saying like 10 times.  "Honey I am on the bus.  I am on the bus.  Honey, I am on the bus.  I'm on the bus, honey".  I swear when I hear that I want to put them UNDER the bus.

Written By: La Roche on 05/13/07 at 6:04 pm

Then there are the people who have to repeat what they are saying like 10 times.  "Honey I am on the bus.  I am on the bus.  Honey, I am on the bus.  I'm on the bus, honey".  I swear when I hear that I want to put them UNDER the bus.

Honey, I'm on the train. Yeah, like every evening. Yeah, I'll be home at the same time I am every night. Yeah.. Yeah.. YEAH.. Yeah, I'll be home... yeah, yeah, same train as normal, yeah, I just feel the need to tell you because I'm a complete f**king retard.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/13/07 at 7:59 pm

Statsqueen:
As long as you don't have the emergency in Big Rapids, you should be ok!  ;D I have yet to see one around town (and like you said, they used to be everywhere--even in some of the buildings on campus).  

Really, they've entirely disappeared where you are? That's bizarre. Maybe the city doesn't want people trashing them, or there's just not enough demand to keep them running. It's funny how spoiled technology makes us, 'cause the couple times I've had to use a payphone recently (if I forgot my phone or the battery died, etc), I always feel like I'm in the Wild West and it's like "Oh man, I don't want to use 50 cents" - even if the phone itself costs way more per month, lol.

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/07 at 11:20 pm

Whenever I see someone driving a car while talking on a cellphone, is it wrong that I wanna just crap that phone, and use it to beat the hell out of that person? lol

One time I actually saw a case of something similar.  Some guy downtown was talking on a cellphone, and not totally paying attention to the traffic.  He had his window down, and he was going slow enough, that some onlooker got irritated by the guy that he walked over to the car, reached in and grabbed the guy's phone, and smashed it on the pavement ;D

Written By: jackas on 05/13/07 at 11:55 pm

We have a good neighbor friend who doesn't have a cell phone OR a computer!  :o

Fricken weirdo!!! ;) ;D

Written By: jackas on 05/13/07 at 11:59 pm

I have a cell phone, but the thing I really hate about it is the fact that people can get hold of me all the time.  I really just want to be left alone all the time. ;D  And my mother in law calls me on it and this drives me nuts.  Like she needs to get a hold of me that badly.  I don't have the nerve to tell her not to call me on it though.  I usually just don't answer when she calls.

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/07 at 12:01 am

I have a cell phone, but the thing I really hate about it is the fact that people can get hold of me all the time.  I really just want to be left alone all the time. ;D  And my mother in law calls me on it and this drives me nuts.  Like she needs to get a hold of me that badly.  I don't have the nerve to tell her not to call me on it though.  I usually just don't answer when she calls.

Just do what I do, assign different ring tones to different people. Most people on my phone(s) have the same ring tone, but there's a few who have their own.. those are the people I generally will just call back if I actually want to speak to them.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/14/07 at 12:18 am

Just do what I do, assign different ring tones to different people. Most people on my phone(s) have the same ring tone, but there's a few who have their own.. those are the people I generally will just call back if I actually want to speak to them.

Same here.  I have certain ringtones that I always answer...and other ones that I always ignore!  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/07 at 12:19 am

Same here.  I have certain ringtones that I always answer...and other ones that I always ignore!  ;D

MMhmm.

Now.. .. can you guess one of the numbers that I always ignore?  ;)

Of course, it's been a while since it came up on any of my phones.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/14/07 at 12:20 am

MMhmm.

Now.. .. can you guess one of the numbers that I always ignore?  ;)

Of course, it's been a while since it came up on any of my phones.

It's Tia, isn't it?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/14/07 at 2:22 am

that's what I'm talking about!  :-\\  so i leave  the house this afternoon for a multitude, no. it was more like a myriad of errands to run & I ask Diane if I can take her phone just in case she thinks of anything else to get while I'm grocery shopping. Hey, it's Mother's Day for crying out loud!  anyways I went to Hollywood Video, Best Buy, Round Table Pizza, and Albertsons supermarket and I'm done and ready to come home & she didn't call me once.  I called her twice however, back to back calls asking if we had spaghetti noodles. then 2nd call asking her to get a pot of hot water going for me on the stove. I can see that I really don't need a phone.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/07 at 5:35 am

Whenever I see someone driving a car while talking on a cellphone, is it wrong that I wanna just crap that phone, and use it to beat the hell out of that person? lol

One time I actually saw a case of something similar.  Some guy downtown was talking on a cellphone, and not totally paying attention to the traffic.  He had his window down, and he was going slow enough, that some onlooker got irritated by the guy that he walked over to the car, reached in and grabbed the guy's phone, and smashed it on the pavement ;D

I had a co-worker who was decapitated due to cell phone use.  He was on the phone and distracted such that he did not see a flatbed truck stopped in the road ahead of him.  Hit it at 70mph.

Thus... I do not use cell phone whilst driving.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/07 at 6:05 am

How about those phones with rap ringtones? ::) >:(

Written By: Howard on 05/14/07 at 6:09 am

I have basically the same ringtone for every person on my phone.I don't need different ringtones for different people,makes it complicated for me.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/14/07 at 7:41 am

Really, they've entirely disappeared where you are? That's bizarre. Maybe the city doesn't want people trashing them, or there's just not enough demand to keep them running. It's funny how spoiled technology makes us, 'cause the couple times I've had to use a payphone recently (if I forgot my phone or the battery died, etc), I always feel like I'm in the Wild West and it's like "Oh man, I don't want to use 50 cents" - even if the phone itself costs way more per month, lol.

Entirely.  Might have something to do with the fact that we have almost as many cell phone companies (not a big town, folks!) as we do banks.  Does a town of about 10k (or less) really need 7 banks (3 of which are within 100 yards of each other) and 6 or so cell phone companies?

lol I know what you mean.  Probably has something to do with you view that as just another bill, not having to spend extra money (a whopping 50 cents) and I for one usually don't have any cash on me.  Hey, at least you know you live in an area that doesn't seem to expect its residents to own a cell phone!!!

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/14/07 at 8:13 am

Well, I guess its alright if you only use him for talking and phone related activities.  ;D

I like Verizon.  May be a bit pricey at times, but I have not really had a bad experience with reception or customer service.  The only times is when Im way out in the boonies. 

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/07 at 10:34 am

It's Tia, isn't it?

No, when he phones it goes "Da da da da da da, da da." what is.. 'The Entertainer'.

Actually, Mike does have a personalised ring tone on one of my phones. For most calls it rings with Enter Sandman, but for several it's The Imperial march, ya know, from Star Wars.

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/14/07 at 10:48 am

Well, I guess its alright if you only use him for talking and phone related activities.  ;D

What are you implying? :o
He never complained about how i use him,and i have him for a very long time :P

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/14/07 at 10:57 am

What are you implying? :o
He never complained about how i use him,and i have him for a very long time :P

Not implying anything.  LoL.

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/14/07 at 10:59 am

Not implying anything.  LoL.

That's what i thought,newbie ;)

Written By: Tia on 05/14/07 at 11:08 am

my phone meows like a cat. people either love it or hate it.

i love to use her.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/07 at 11:46 am

i love to use her.

Ooh, I'm gonna have to get that for my phone.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/14/07 at 11:57 am

i love to use her.
But you killed to have her? ;)

I have different tones for the important people I have stored in my cell.  My best friend has BFS "1985," home is Fall Out Boy "Sugar, We're Going Down," and hubby has Velvet Revolver "Fall to Pieces," everyone else is "Hello Moto" ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/14/07 at 4:08 pm

i love to use her.

So your phone meows?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/14/07 at 4:11 pm

You ever wonder now that there isn't much peace and quiet like there used to be 20 years ago and today every single moron on the bus and on the street has to talk so damn loud even in their foreign languages and you can't even concentrate on your napping that your forced to listen to what they have to say. >:(

Written By: Tia on 05/14/07 at 5:57 pm

So your phone meows?  ;D
yup. my phone meows.

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/07 at 9:16 pm

You ever wonder now that there isn't much peace and quiet like there used to be 20 years ago and today every single moron on the bus and on the street has to talk so damn loud even in their foreign languages and you can't even concentrate on your napping that your forced to listen to what they have to say. >:(

Well now.. admittedly I don't tend to take naps on the street.

Written By: jackas on 05/14/07 at 11:17 pm

Cept for when you're drunk, but then I guess the noise wouldn't bother you....or the dog on your chest!

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 12:05 am

Cept for when you're drunk, but then I guess the noise wouldn't bother you....or the dog on your chest!

Oh f**k off.  ;D

Written By: jackas on 05/15/07 at 12:15 am

Oh f**k off.  ;D

:D 

I loved that avatar.  I shall bring it back soon!

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 12:20 am

:D 

I loved that avatar.  I shall bring it back soon!

::)

I explained the situation that led to that... It was a field.. not the street.. and it was an event... not just some farmer's field.. I find this misrepresentation reprehensible.

Written By: jackas on 05/15/07 at 2:29 am

I explained the situation that led to that... It was a field.. not the street.. and it was an event... not just some farmer's field.. I find this misrepresentation reprehensible.

LOL  I've done that before.  I got loaded at some Bluegrass Festival that we camped at...started drinking at 7:00 a.m. after an all nighter.  I ended up passed out on a bench in the park we were at.  I also have some pictures with a dog from that day, but I was conscience and petting it. ;D

Written By: karen on 05/15/07 at 3:49 am

yup. my phone meows.

I have that as an option on my phone.  my text messages sets the phone croaking like a frog

Written By: jackas on 05/15/07 at 3:55 am

I have that as an option on my phone.  my text messages sets the phone croaking like a frog

My husband uses the rooster for his alarm.

Written By: karen on 05/15/07 at 3:57 am

My husband uses the rooster for his alarm.

I don't have a rooster option.  I could have a cow mooing!

Written By: Howard on 05/15/07 at 6:33 am

I was just saying that you can't even get any peace and quiet on the bus.

Written By: karen on 05/15/07 at 6:34 am

I was just saying that you can't even get any peace and quiet on the bus.

This is what I've found works.

Stand up and yell "Would everyone just shut the fudge up"

Written By: Howard on 05/15/07 at 6:37 am

This is what I've found works.

Stand up and yell "Would everyone just shut the fudge up"

Are you kidding me?!?! :o

I'd get the s-h-i-t kicked out of me,I would just keep quiet and listen to the conversation no matter what language it is in.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/15/07 at 7:57 am

I dont remember every getting any piece and quiet on a bus, even if it was people quiet.  The ride is bumpy, the bus is loud, and the fumes suck.  Id rather pull all the hair out of my eyebrows one by one than ride on a bus. 

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 11:08 am

I dont remember every getting any piece and quiet on a bus, even if it was people quiet.  The ride is bumpy, the bus is loud, and the fumes suck.  Id rather pull all the hair out of my eyebrows one by one than ride on a bus. 

Oh man, you've not travelled on a German bus! Those things are smoothe, silent, clean.. and everybody is very respectable and well ordered (well.. this was Ex-Soviet Eastern Germany). I went from Strausberg in the old East to Kladow which.. was technically in the West but was right next to the wall. Fell asleep within 5 minutes.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/15/07 at 11:25 am

Oh man, you've not travelled on a German bus! Those things are smoothe, silent, clean.. and everybody is very respectable and well ordered (well.. this was Ex-Soviet Eastern Germany). I went from Strausberg in the old East to Kladow which.. was technically in the West but was right next to the wall. Fell asleep within 5 minutes.

Im talking about wonderful American public transportation.  Reliable like a flat spare tire.

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 11:37 am

Im talking about wonderful American public transportation.  Reliable like a flat spare tire.

St. Louis has a new metrolink (an above ground train system) which is absoloutly wonderful, but alas, it's not connected up to that much of the city yet. The subway system in D.C is pretty slick. Although useful the subways in New York and Chicago are old and nasty.

Of course, the best is the U-Bann in Berlin. The London Underground is wonderful, but alas, it's also possibly the oldest mass transit system in the world.. and shows it.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/15/07 at 11:38 am

St. Louis has a new metrolink (an above ground train system) which is absoloutly wonderful, but alas, it's not connected up to that much of the city yet. The subway system in D.C is pretty slick. Although useful the subways in New York and Chicago are old and nasty.

Of course, the best is the U-Bann in Berlin. The London Underground is wonderful, but alas, it's also possibly the oldest mass transit system in the world.. and shows it.

I was impressed with the public transportation system in Atlanta and DC.  I also love SF cable cars.  :)

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 11:39 am

I was impressed with the public transportation system in Atlanta and DC.  I also love SF cable cars.  :)

I've never been on a cable car, I really want to.

Hahaha, I love the real meaning for MARTA in Atlanta.. best not to share it though.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/15/07 at 11:44 am

I was impressed with the public transportation system in Atlanta and DC.  I also love SF cable cars.   :)

The problem I have with the D.C. metro is that all of them go into the city, but there is nothing that circles the city, so to get from virginia to Maryland, you have to go through crowded D.C.  The city just messes up this area.  LoL.  But it is reliable and clean. 

Written By: statsqueen on 05/15/07 at 3:14 pm

The problem I have with the D.C. metro is that all of them go into the city, but there is nothing that circles the city, so to get from virginia to Maryland, you have to go through crowded D.C.  The city just messes up this area.  LoL.  But it is reliable and clean. 

lol Scott, that wasn't a problem for me  ;D  I took the Bolger Center shuttle to the Bethesda stop and WANTED to go to the Mall (and Arlington and Roslyn), so it worked out perfectly.  Micah said that she wasn't impressed with DuPont Circle though (which made me think of the movie "American President").  You're right, though, in that I was impressed with how clean it was (including the stations) and how well-marked everything was.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/15/07 at 3:31 pm

gee, hubby's Treo (which he's been complaining about for months) just "happened" to fall yesterday and stop working so now he's got a new (and improved) Treo ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/07 at 4:03 pm

gee, hubby's Treo (which he's been complaining about for months) just "happened" to fall yesterday and stop working so now he's got a new (and improved) Treo ::)

I could use a Treo.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/07 at 4:20 pm

Why is that people have to talk so damn loud in them,Is society going deaf?  >:( ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/15/07 at 4:21 pm

Where did it fall?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/15/07 at 6:17 pm

This thread inspired me to download a bunch of new ringtones today.  Now all of my family members have their own! 

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/15/07 at 6:48 pm

I'll talk loud in them to purposely piss people off.  Thats my goal in life, to help one person a day and to piss one person off a day.  Isn't that balance?

LoL.

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 7:17 pm

I'll talk loud in them to purposely piss people off.  Thats my goal in life, to help one person a day and to piss one person off a day.  Isn't that balance?

LoL.

You could join my quest to piss off every individual in the western hemisphere?

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/15/07 at 8:28 pm

Dont think it would be hard.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/15/07 at 10:49 pm

Dont think it would be hard.

Andrew and Scott teaming up?  Lord have mercy on planet Earth.

How was Spiderman 3?

Written By: Howard on 05/16/07 at 6:42 am

I used to do the walking and talking thing where I'd pretend to yap into my phone and there'd be nobody on the other end but a few years ago,I stopped doing it because I thought it looked really silly.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/07 at 6:43 am

LoL.

Doesn't mean you should compete to see who's going to yell louder into their phone. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/07 at 11:08 am

You are really pissing me off now!  >:(

j/k  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: tv on 05/16/07 at 11:46 am

I don;t understand those people who call up their wife/hubby for example in a food store and use theier cell phone to ask them what brand of sugar they should get or if they should get a certain brand of cookies. I mean is it really so important to the point where you have to pull out your cell phone to ask your spouse or your boyfreind/girlfriend what brand the cookies are or what brand of sugar you should get?

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 11:51 am

I don;t understand those people who call up their wife/hubby for example in a food store and use theier cell phone to ask them what brand of sugar they should get or if they should get a certain brand of cookies. I mean is it really so important to the point where you have to pull out your cell phone to ask your spouse or your boyfreind/girlfriend what brand the cookies are or what brand of sugar you should get?

Actually, this is something I will do.

Simple explanation - When I lived with my ex-girlfriend, I would often finish work way before her because my hours were pretty much dictated by how much I was willing to do on any one given day right - So it would often be me that went to the grocery store seeing as it might have been 3pm on a Wednesday and thus not crowded at all, I would call.. 3...4..5 times to make sure I had things correct because it wasn't worth hearing all evening "Goddammit you got the wrong kind of sausage!" - It was easier to annoy the other people in the store than spend the evening in mortal combat.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/16/07 at 11:59 am

Yes, because you'll never hear the end of it if you forget something.

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 12:01 pm

Yes, because you'll never hear the end of it if you forget something.

Bingo.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/16/07 at 12:01 pm

Andrew and Scott teaming up?  Lord have mercy on planet Earth.

How was Spiderman 3?

Spiderman 3 was entertaining, thats all I can really say about it.

Yep, if we team up mothers will hide their children.  People will be dying cause they will laugh so hard.  Can we add my brother to the mix Ash?  Please?   LoL.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 12:11 pm

Are you single by any chance?

I don't call hubby, but he will call me.  I know the "preferred" brands of everything because I'm the one who usually feeds/cooks for everyone.  There are also certain brands of certain things that are NASTY....although, you'd think after asking a bazillion times, he'd remember ::)

Written By: tv on 05/16/07 at 12:14 pm

Are you single by any chance?

I don't call hubby, but he will call me.  I know the "preferred" brands of everything because I'm the one who usually feeds/cooks for everyone.  There are also certain brands of certain things that are NASTY....although, you'd think after asking a bazillion times, he'd remember ::)
Yes I am single.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 12:18 pm

Yes I am single.
When you get married, you'll understand the answer to your previous question ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 12:18 pm

Actually, this is something I will do.

Simple explanation - When I lived with my ex-girlfriend, I would often finish work way before her because my hours were pretty much dictated by how much I was willing to do on any one given day right - So it would often be me that went to the grocery store seeing as it might have been 3pm on a Wednesday and thus not crowded at all, I would call.. 3...4..5 times to make sure I had things correct because it wasn't worth hearing all evening "Goddammit you got the wrong kind of sausage!" - It was easier to annoy the other people in the store than spend the evening in mortal combat.
This just gave me an idea for a new thread.....

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 12:19 pm

This just gave me an idea for a new thread.....

Uh oh...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/16/07 at 4:39 pm

Spiderman 3 was entertaining, thats all I can really say about it.

Yep, if we team up mothers will hide their children.  People will be dying cause they will laugh so hard.  Can we add my brother to the mix Ash?  Please?   LoL.

As long as you guys allow me enough time to get out of the tri-city area!

Written By: Howard on 05/16/07 at 7:12 pm

Or how about when you overhear a conversation in a foreign language? ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/07 at 4:47 pm

I just got my first cell phone about two weeks ago.  It got to the point where people kept expecting me to have one (as happened with email address 10 years ago), so I decided to get one.  Still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles.  Most of it is crap I don't need.
At forty bucks a month it's cheaper than a landline, though!
:)

Written By: statsqueen on 06/20/07 at 4:51 pm

I thought about getting one for my dad for his b'day or Father's Day, but decided that he can't hear anyway, so why bother.  (Same reasoning for my mom)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/07 at 4:54 pm

I thought about getting one for my dad for his b'day or Father's Day, but decided that he can't hear anyway, so why bother.  (Same reasoning for my mom)

My parents can hear.  Listening?  Not so much!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/20/07 at 4:58 pm

My parents can hear.  Listening?  Not so much!

My mom has selective hearing. She hears what she wants to hear-whether it is what you said or not.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 06/20/07 at 5:24 pm

My mom has selective hearing. She hears what she wants to hear-whether it is what you said or not.

Cat

lol I never thought I would say this, but I would prefer selective hearing to no hearing! lol You should hang at their house sometime...my dad in his room with his tv volume on 50, Mom in the living room with the big tv volume on 50.  Neither one has a clue what the other is watching (except to assume Dad is watching a war/western movie or sports).  I yell at my mom (to her face) just so she will hear me speak in a normal tone of voice. 

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/07 at 6:00 pm

I just got my first cell phone about two weeks ago.  It got to the point where people kept expecting me to have one (as happened with email address 10 years ago), so I decided to get one.  Still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles.  Most of it is crap I don't need.
At forty bucks a month it's cheaper than a landline, though!
:)

Exactly, no landline in this house. It's either call the cell phone or don't call.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/07 at 8:05 pm

Exactly, no landline in this house. It's either call the cell phone or don't call.

Coverage is getting comprehensive enough to make it practical to only have a cell. Cell networks have a ways to go before they're parallel to landlines, but it gets better with consumer demand.

The fees I had to pay just to have a Verizon landline account was a ripoff.  I'm a single guy who makes almost all local calls, few of them exceeding 10 minutes.  For everybody I know who lives far away, I just use email. 

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/07 at 8:09 pm

Coverage is getting comprehensive enough to make it practical to only have a cell. Cell networks have a ways to go before they're parallel to landlines, but it gets better with consumer demand.

The fees I had to pay just to have a Verizon landline account was a ripoff.  I'm a single guy who makes almost all local calls, few of them exceeding 10 minutes.  For everybody I know who lives far away, I just use email. 

UmmHmm, same here.

There's three of us living in the house, I make.. pretty much all local calls and what long distance calls I make don't really matter because my cellular company dosen't charge extra for long distance. If I need to speak to my mom or dad I just go over to my Uncle's house and use his phone to call trans-atlantic.. apart  from that I never need a landline.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/20/07 at 8:10 pm

I still have none!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 8:33 pm

UmmHmm, same here.

There's three of us living in the house, I make.. pretty much all local calls and what long distance calls I make don't really matter because my cellular company dosen't charge extra for long distance. If I need to speak to my mom or dad I just go over to my Uncle's house and use his phone to call trans-atlantic.. apart  from that I never need a landline.

Yeah, even though I don't use my cellphone that much (unless someone calls me), it still pretty much makes a landline worthless. We still have one, but it's very secondary.

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/07 at 9:31 pm

Yeah, even though I don't use my cellphone that much (unless someone calls me), it still pretty much makes a landline worthless. We still have one, but it's very secondary.

Right.

Nobody even asks for a home number anymore anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/07 at 3:08 am

If anyone asks me, it will be a home phone number.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/07 at 7:08 am

Right.

That's why the majority of people today have cell phones.

Written By: Marian on 06/21/07 at 12:41 pm

I klike that.I hate when some ass-brain  from a store tries to call me,gets someone else,then tells my business to the first person who answers the phone.they sghould get fired for that.

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/07 at 1:20 pm

If anyone asks me, it will be a home phone number.

What about telling them a fax number, that way they can never bother you?

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/07 at 1:21 pm

I klike that.I hate when some ass-brain  from a store tries to call me,gets someone else,then tells my business to the first person who answers the phone.they sghould get fired for that.

Uuurrggghh! Hate that.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/21/07 at 11:48 pm

I got my first cell phone just a couple of years ago. It was a real time saver for me when the car battery died in the middle of the freaking road shortly after I got it. No more wandering around for a pay phone!

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 6:14 am

I got my first cell phone just a couple of years ago. It was a real time saver for me when the car battery died in the middle of the freaking road shortly after I got it. No more wandering around for a pay phone!

What brand is it,Coqueta?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/22/07 at 7:34 am

I just upgraded my phone at home to one from the cable company. It took awhile for the installer (I guess they outsource everything to India, and they were having problems confirming it), but it's still cheaper than a cell phone.  The bill is about half of what I was paying through AT&T.  Plus I get to rid myself of that scummy company once and for all.

Still need to find a super cheap cell phone replacement for Susan's cell.  They keep sending her mail about the end of the old analog cell phone system.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 3:45 pm

Does anyone here hear people's conversation even when you're trying to concentrate on reading a newspaper or book?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 3:46 pm

Does anyone here hear people's conversation even when you're trying to concentrate on reading a newspaper or book?
All the time.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 3:58 pm

All the time.

It's kind of disturbing but everyone is in their own little world these days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 4:02 pm

It's kind of disturbing but everyone is in their own little world these days.
Sometimes the people on the mobiles just do not care?

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 4:05 pm

Sometimes the people on the mobiles just do not care?

They don't.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 4:06 pm

They don't.
You can hear their whole live been portray in front of everyone.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 4:09 pm

You can hear their whole live been portray in front of everyone.

Yes unfortunately,that's the way life is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 4:11 pm

Yes unfortunately,that's the way life is.
What I find funny is that a foreigner is speaking in their own language, and you can get the gist of what their are saying.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 4:15 pm

What I find funny is that a foreigner is speaking in their own language, and you can get the gist of what their are saying.

I can't,they talk too fast. ::)

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/22/07 at 8:42 pm

What brand is it,Coqueta?

The phone or the car battery?  :)

My phone is a Motorola from T-Mobile, and the car battery that conked out was an AC Delco.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/25/07 at 10:31 am

Still need to find a super cheap cell phone replacement for Susan's cell.  They keep sending her mail about the end of the old analog cell phone system.

Wow when did the US get rid of analogue ? Aus got rid of it on Dec 31 1999. I took my ancient old analogue ericsson with me on my millennium party holiday just so I could watch the service disappear at midnight.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/25/07 at 11:14 am

Wow when did the US get rid of analogue ? Aus got rid of it on Dec 31 1999. I took my ancient old analogue ericsson with me on my millennium party holiday just so I could watch the service disappear at midnight.

It ends this year Dec 31.  Not sure how the phone service works in your country, but here in the US the phone companies usually give you the phone "free" in exchange for a two year iron-clad contract.  So I doubt there was much incentive for them to rush out and replace all the phones since they'd end up footing the bill.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/07 at 3:56 pm

How does everyone carry their phone? ???

Written By: Marian on 06/26/07 at 1:39 pm

All the time.
yeah,you would think there would be sacctuary in a public restroom stall! :D

Written By: Howard on 06/26/07 at 1:42 pm

yeah,you would think there would be sacctuary in a public restroom stall! :D

"Hey,I'm taking a dump could I call you back when I'm finished wiping my behind"?  ;D

Written By: Midas on 06/26/07 at 10:13 pm

I have a cell phone and sometimes it gets boring to carry one that's clipped to your pocket cause many times in the past my cell phone has dropped in the toilet bowl or was lost and I felt so anxious about it.So In a way,It's good to have one.I like it because of the many different ringtones and my ringtone is just a regular house phone tone.

So to all who have one let's do some phone toasting... ;D

I found this amusing.  ;D

I'll pass on the cell phone toasting.  It's the only phone I have and I'd prefer to not make it crispy.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/07 at 7:02 am

I found this amusing.  ;D

I'll pass on the cell phone toasting.  It's the only phone I have and I'd prefer to not make it crispy.

I don't know how I started "phone toasting".  ::) ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/27/07 at 8:42 pm

I don't understand the need for people to have 3+ cellphones. One work phone and one personal phone, OK. But 3 or more is a bit silly. Why?

Written By: Howard on 06/28/07 at 2:56 pm

I don't understand the need for people to have 3+ cellphones. One work phone and one personal phone, OK. But 3 or more is a bit silly. Why?

I only carry one phone which is fine by me.

Written By: La Roche on 06/28/07 at 4:26 pm

I have 3, but only use 2.

One is for a different continent.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/07 at 5:47 pm

I'd guess it's just for backup and not so-much "active use" (although with as much as some people use them, it's hard to say). ;D

This is sorta geeky and I'll admit it, but I actually have the same thing with electronics. Like I own a few different VCRs and boomboxes (which I sometimes buy/trade at Goodwill or flea markets). It's just nice to have a couple spare ones, in case the ones I use start dying - especially since old-school tech like that is bound to get harder to find as time goes on.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/07 at 7:33 pm

And what's with everyone and their iPhones,iPods or whatever? Everything is turning into "I". ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/03/07 at 2:30 am

I am  surviving just fine without one
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xXV.olGhn4BfTejzbkF/SIG=12j2lqjbc/EXP=1183534165/**http%3A//www.cell-phone-jammers.com/images/cell-phone-blocker.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xXk.olGf34BHCSjzbkF/SIG=12sdoi55d/EXP=1183534180/**http%3A//augustachronicle.com/images/headlines/110697/CELL_PHONE_ILLUS.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/03/07 at 4:43 pm

I don't think it causes any brain tumors. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 4:44 pm

I don't think it causes any brain tumors. ::)
Still yet to be proven.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/07 at 4:49 pm

Still yet to be proven.

Nobody knows if they do.

Written By: nally on 07/26/07 at 2:52 pm

How does everyone carry their phone? ???

well, mine is inside of a protective case with a clippie on the back; I clip it to my pants pocket.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/07 at 8:02 pm

well, mine is inside of a protective case with a clippie on the back; I clip it to my pants pocket.

So Do I.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/08 at 9:45 pm

I have a cell phone myself and it's a new one,it's a flip phone and I like it. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/24/08 at 1:05 am

This is sorta geeky and I'll admit it, but I actually have the same thing with electronics. Like I own a few different VCRs and boomboxes (which I sometimes buy/trade at Goodwill or flea markets). It's just nice to have a couple spare ones, in case the ones I use start dying - especially since old-school tech like that is bound to get harder to find as time goes on.

Karma for keeping old tech alive.

But for the original poster looking for a serious answer to keeping multiple cell phones?  In the continental US, it doesn't matter if the phone has been activated with a carrier or not.  If it has enough battery power to dial 911, the call will go through.

There are plenty of reasons why someone might not want to pay for "a wireless connection to the phone system", but there are no valid economic reasons for anyone not to carry an (unactivated) cell phone and a cigarette-lighter-power adaptor in your car.  You never know when you might be the first guy to witness an accident.  Being able to call 911 isn't as useful as knowing first aid and having a basic kit in the trunk.  Being able to call 911 might not even be worth $30/month.  But none of that matters, because being able to call 911 doesn't cost have to cost a cent.

You don't use it to call for a tow truck if you break down in the middle of nowhere, unless "middle of nowhere" is somewhere like Death valley.  You keep it around to call 911, and 911 only -- that is, for "immediate danger to live and health", and nothing less.

I'd encourage anyone with an unused phone to keep it (and a 12-volt adaptor, and a couple of small jumper wires in case you can get to a car battery but not to a cigarette lighter, because many modern cars don't have a lighter) in the first aid kit.  If you're uninjured and capable of retrieving the first aid kit, you're also able to be on the horn to 911 while rendering aid.  That's a hell of a force multiplier, and it costs you nothing.  No monthly fee.  No vanishing pay-as-you-go minutes.  Free. 

Written By: Howard on 07/24/08 at 7:01 am

There is hardly peace and quiet these days,everywhere you go,especially on the bus,it's all you hear are cell phones,does anyone have that situation? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/08 at 10:55 am

To update my post on the thread (on page 1), we no longer have dial-up-YAY!!!! We still have the cell and it is on most of the time but we usually forget about it until it rings. We still take it with us when we travel-go out on the boat. It is nice that our cat/house-sitter can reach us and we can reach her. We can also call people when we are on the road saying, "We are here and should be at your place about this time."

Cat

Written By: ninny on 07/24/08 at 1:21 pm

My husband and I don't have a cell phone :(

Written By: Howard on 07/24/08 at 7:42 pm

My husband and I don't have a cell phone :(

http://nexus404.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads2/2007/10/motorola-rizr-z10-cell-phone.jpg

Here's a Motorola if you'd like one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/08 at 7:26 am

But you are not alone
For I have not a phone
For I don't wander far
From my happy home
But you are not alone

Written By: Gis on 07/25/08 at 7:38 am

Karma for keeping old tech alive.

But for the original poster looking for a serious answer to keeping multiple cell phones?  In the continental US, it doesn't matter if the phone has been activated with a carrier or not.  If it has enough battery power to dial 911, the call will go through.

There are plenty of reasons why someone might not want to pay for "a wireless connection to the phone system", but there are no valid economic reasons for anyone not to carry an (unactivated) cell phone and a cigarette-lighter-power adaptor in your car.  You never know when you might be the first guy to witness an accident.  Being able to call 911 isn't as useful as knowing first aid and having a basic kit in the trunk.  Being able to call 911 might not even be worth $30/month.  But none of that matters, because being able to call 911 doesn't cost have to cost a cent.

You don't use it to call for a tow truck if you break down in the middle of nowhere, unless "middle of nowhere" is somewhere like Death valley.  You keep it around to call 911, and 911 only -- that is, for "immediate danger to live and health", and nothing less.

I'd encourage anyone with an unused phone to keep it (and a 12-volt adaptor, and a couple of small jumper wires in case you can get to a car battery but not to a cigarette lighter, because many modern cars don't have a lighter) in the first aid kit.  If you're uninjured and capable of retrieving the first aid kit, you're also able to be on the horn to 911 while rendering aid.  That's a hell of a force multiplier, and it costs you nothing.  No monthly fee.  No vanishing pay-as-you-go minutes.  Free. 
In the U.K once you buy the phone if you don't use it within 3 months or if you then don't use it for 3 months the phone companies cancel it and issue the number to someone else.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/08 at 5:59 pm

Who here has pre-paid or contract?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 12:15 pm

In the U.K once you buy the phone if you don't use it within 3 months or if you then don't use it for 3 months the phone companies cancel it and issue the number to someone else.
The cheek of it!

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 5:24 pm

I wonder who doesn't have one? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 5:35 pm

I wonder who doesn't have one? ???
I do not have a mobile.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 6:06 pm

I do not have a mobile.

Would you like to have one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 6:08 pm

Would you like to have one?
I do not wish for one, and as I spend most of my time at home my land-line phone will suffice.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 6:13 pm

I do not wish for one, and as I spend most of my time at home my land-line phone will suffice.

That's a good idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 6:15 pm

That's a good idea.
...and of course, I have cheaper communication on the computer.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 6:15 pm

...and of course, I have cheaper communication on the computer.

It'll save you some money.

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/11/08 at 11:45 pm

We have cellphones but other than the odd call to each other I personally think its a waste of money.We are on the Rogers network (contract 3 years)....Bad thing about Rogers is they keep trying to up the bill as we have 4 servises with them so for those who don't pay attention to the bill they just collect & collect....We complained to CITY-TV which is owned by Rogers ......& complained of over-billing..We got a call back from Rogers that day .saying."their dropping $10 bucks a month off the home phone for 1 year........My guess is if that billing issue went public their scam would be ruined!......I thought the idea was to make global communications more accessablr , but if your not on the right tower (how would you know?) then the hidden charges amount!When this contracts up so am I with the cellphone!I feel I'm sucked into the latest FAD!
A big gig mp3 player has more use to me than a star-trek play toy!

Written By: Howard on 08/12/08 at 7:55 am

I think payphones might leave this earth soon cause cell phones are really commonplace these days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/08 at 9:41 am

When I sent off a package at the Post Office this morning, the cashier asked me "Would I like to Top-Up my mobile..."

What mobile?

Written By: Howard on 08/12/08 at 10:09 am

When I sent off a package at the Post Office this morning, the cashier asked me "Would I like to Top-Up my mobile..."

What mobile?

Did you have a mobile phone with you?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/08 at 10:13 am

Did you have a mobile phone with you?  ???
No.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/08 at 10:13 am

No.

Then what may have caused it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/08 at 10:18 am

Then what may have caused it?
I do not have one in the first place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/08 at 10:19 am

What mobile?
I even offered that she buys me a moblie phone so that she can top it up for me.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/08 at 12:33 pm

I even offered that she buys me a moblie phone so that she can top it up for me.

What do you mean by top it up?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/08 at 12:36 pm

What do you mean by top it up?
Add money to a Pay-As-You- Go moblie phone so that calls can be made.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/08 at 5:41 pm

Add money to a Pay-As-You- Go moblie phone so that calls can be made.

You don't like contract? ???

Written By: Bobby on 08/12/08 at 6:40 pm

I do have a mobile phone, Chucky, but it's so temperamental I might as well say I haven't got one at the moment, lol.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/08 at 5:47 am

I do have a mobile phone, Chucky, but it's so temperamental I might as well say I haven't got one at the moment, lol.

Is it an old school mobile phone?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/08 at 5:58 am

Is it an old school mobile phone?
What does an old school mobile phone look like?

Written By: Gis on 08/13/08 at 6:44 am

What does an old school mobile phone look like?
A brick.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/08 at 6:51 am

A brick.
One of those big ones from the 80's?

Written By: Howard on 08/13/08 at 4:58 pm

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Telephones/US-West_Old-School_Cell_Phone_Horiz_Tan_web.jpg

Like this one.^

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/08 at 11:15 am

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Telephones/US-West_Old-School_Cell_Phone_Horiz_Tan_web.jpg

Like this one.^
It was only a pocket-size phone if your pocket was big enough.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/08 at 6:10 pm

It would have to be a big enough pocket.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/14/08 at 8:47 pm

It was only a pocket-size phone if your pocket was big enough.

Is that a phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 08/14/08 at 8:51 pm

Is that a phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me ;)

I see you're a fellow iPhone owner, I have one too, do you enjoy yours? I'm really liking a lot of the stuff in the App Store, I loaded up mine with all these free apps.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/14/08 at 9:02 pm

I think payphones might leave this earth soon cause cell phones are really commonplace these days.

Haven't they already?  And I have had a cell phone since 95 and I am on the Internet posting to this board right now via my iPhone.  I do like technology.  But I also have to drive a lot to get anywhere ( we live in the country)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/08 at 2:58 am

Payphones will always be around, it is a good way for telephone companies to make more money.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/08 at 6:35 am

Payphones will always be around, it is a good way for telephone companies to make more money.

Not many people will use them in the next 10-15 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/08 at 6:41 am

Not many people will use them in the next 10-15 years.
They are using them now.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/08 at 6:48 am

They are using them now.

That's because they don't have a cellphone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/08 at 8:53 am

That's because they don't have a cellphone.
Like me

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/15/08 at 10:11 am

Don't depend on having a pay phone if you are ever in the Midwest!  The phone companies are taking them out everwhere, even the low income neighborhoods in Chicago.  They say the maintenance on them is too great (driving checking money bins, repairs, vandalism and etc...) let alone all the other companies honing in on their profits ( phone cards, 1800collect, etc...). They are losing money so they are now getting rid of them.  A big deal if you live in the projects and need a phone for emergency ( you may not trust you neighbor, or ask to borrow someone phone)

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/15/08 at 10:18 am

I see you're a fellow iPhone owner, I have one too, do you enjoy yours? I'm really liking a lot of the stuff in the App Store, I loaded up mine with all these free apps.

I love my iPhone!  Do you have the flashlight app? It just makes your screen show up as whitish glow for those situations when you need a little light.  I am seeming to think my phone got slower since the latest generation came out,  is it a ploy to make me think my phone is slow and I need the 3G :-\\

Written By: Howard on 08/15/08 at 6:57 pm

Like me

Do you plan on getting one?

Written By: Brian06 on 08/15/08 at 8:05 pm

I love my iPhone!  Do you have the flashlight app? It just makes your screen show up as whitish glow for those situations when you need a little light.  I am seeming to think my phone got slower since the latest generation came out,  is it a ploy to make me think my phone is slow and I need the 3G :-\\

Yeah I downloaded the myLite one that does like all these effects and different colors. The new OS is buggy and slow at times, I'm hoping that they get all the kinks out with the next update. A lot of the apps crash on me and go back to the home screen a lot, which can be annoying. I actually just got the 3G and I just listed my EDGE one on ebay unlocked and jailbroken, I'm hoping I can get maybe $300 or so at least.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/08 at 7:04 am

Who doesn't want a cell phone?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/08 at 7:51 am

Who doesn't want a cell phone?
I don't want one.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/08 at 9:52 am

I don't want one.

So How do you communicate?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/08 at 9:53 am

So How do you communicate?
By my landline phone at home or e-mail

Written By: Howard on 08/16/08 at 9:54 am

By my landline phone at home or e-mail

Is it easy for you?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/08 at 10:53 am

Is it easy for you?
Very easy, as I spend most of my time at home.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/08 at 4:05 pm

Very easy, as I spend most of my time at home.

Does your Family own one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/08 at 5:23 am

Does your Family own one?
My wife and son have moblie phones and are used to contact me at home

Written By: Howard on 08/17/08 at 5:41 am

My wife and son have moblie phones and are used to contact me at home

Do you use payphones?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/08 at 9:52 am

Do you use payphones?
Only in an emergency to contact the family when I am out.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/08 at 4:57 pm

Only in an emergency to contact the family when I am out.

Where is the nearest payphone? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/08 at 2:11 am

Where is the nearest payphone? ???
It all depends on where I am when I have to make a phone call.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/08 at 7:22 am

Do they use cell phones in the UK?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/08 at 6:44 am

Yes.
Do they use cell phones in the UK?
Yes.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/08 at 6:45 am

Yes.Yes.

How much do they cost?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/08 at 7:08 am

How much do they cost?
It all depends on the type of moblie phone package required.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/08 at 8:00 pm

It all depends on the type of moblie phone package required.

Which is the most expensive?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/08 at 9:49 am

Which is the most expensive?
The diamond encrusted ones.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/08 at 3:42 pm

How many cell phone shops are in the UK?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/08 at 3:43 pm

How many cell phone shops are in the UK?
There are plenty, several on every high street.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/08 at 3:50 pm

Are they within walking distance?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/08 at 4:09 pm

Are they within walking distance?
Very close to each other.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/08 at 7:06 am

Very close to each other.

Does The UK need so many cell phone shops?

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/08 at 4:40 pm

Yep, Orange, O2, Nokia and Vodaphone seem to the big phone companies.

I am dreading getting a mobile phone, even the average ones are pretty expensive and you can pay at least £250 ($500?) for a decent one.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/08 at 6:51 am

I am dreading getting a mobile phone, even the average ones are pretty expensive and you can pay at least £250 ($500?) for a decent one.

So what do you use to communicate?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/08 at 7:49 am

Does The UK need so many cell phone shops?
Oh yes!!

Written By: Howard on 08/23/08 at 6:50 am

Oh yes!!

You come To New York and there's one on almost every corner.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/08 at 12:44 pm

You come To New York and there's one on almost every corner.  ::)
I think it would be the same the whole world over.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/08 at 6:51 am

I think it would be the same the whole world over.

Every town needs one cause technology is changing so very rapidly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/08 at 3:56 pm

Every town needs one cause technology is changing so very rapidly.
...but some parts of the UK cannot receive a proper signal without a monster of an aerial being built in some beauty spot.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/08 at 9:34 pm

...but some parts of the UK cannot receive a proper signal without a monster of an aerial being built in some beauty spot.

How does that work?

Written By: NbC on 08/26/08 at 10:29 pm

Cell phones here are also very expensive.  The sad part is that they do not offer the latest (and greatest) models but yet keep the high prices.  ???
So we get last years selections but without the price drop. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/08 at 12:38 pm

How does that work?
A lack of aerials supplying a strong signal for the phones to pick up a good reception.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/08 at 4:21 pm

Some cell phones are expensive and some are inexpensive.You also want to know if you need a contact or pre-paid.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/30/08 at 10:14 pm

I still don't have a cellphone. I really don't want one, but my girlfriend and friends get mad about having to call my house all the time.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/08 at 6:58 am

I still don't have a cellphone. I really don't want one, but my girlfriend and friends get mad about having to call my house all the time.

why don't you want one? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/08 at 12:25 pm

Some cell phones are expensive and some are inexpensive.You also want to know if you need a contact or pre-paid.
I am informed have it is not worth buying a cheap phone.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/08 at 6:59 pm

I am informed have it is not worth buying a cheap phone.

It's better to buy an expensive one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/08 at 12:48 pm

It's better to buy an expensive one.
One with an Internet connection?

Written By: Howard on 09/05/08 at 3:30 pm

One with an Internet connection?

I'd buy one without an internet connection,You wouldn't want to have an expensive bill.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/08 at 3:31 pm

I'd buy one without an internet connection,You wouldn't want to have an expensive bill.
A company phone, one supplied your employers would be best.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/08 at 3:51 pm

A company phone, one supplied your employers would be best.

That's a good idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/08 at 3:53 pm

That's a good idea.
My old work had phones for the drivers and main staff, but not for me.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/08 at 3:54 pm

My old work had phones for the drivers and main staff, but not for me.

Why Not Phil?

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/05/08 at 7:45 pm

why don't you want one? ???

Well, I wouldn't want another thing to carry around; and I wouldn't use it very often!

Written By: Howard on 09/06/08 at 6:32 am

Well, I wouldn't want another thing to carry around; and I wouldn't use it very often!

So you use payphones?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/08 at 9:41 am

Just imagine if you had to carry a phone directory around with you, with you mobile phone?

Written By: Howard on 09/06/08 at 6:52 pm

Just imagine if you had to carry a phone directory around with you, with you mobile phone?

It would have to be a small phone directory.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/07/08 at 12:26 pm

So you use payphones?  ???

Gnaw, I just don't use a phone outside of home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/08 at 2:37 pm

It would have to be a small phone directory.
...and a pen to with the entries in?

Written By: Howard on 09/07/08 at 7:21 pm

...and a pen to with the entries in?

I'd probably use a pencil if I wind up making mistakes.

Written By: Trimac20 on 09/17/08 at 2:06 am

I don't use it very much but I couldn't imagine not having one - it just makes life so much easier. I probably only spend $20 every 2-3 months, and my phone itself was cheap but good.
I don't really see much point resisting - it's just such a hassle not having one. I only really use it when I have to. Kids today though, with their damn phones always out...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/17/08 at 2:31 am

I don't use it very much but I couldn't imagine not having one - it just makes life so much easier. I probably only spend $20 every 2-3 months, and my phone itself was cheap but good.
I don't really see much point resisting - it's just such a hassle not having one. I only really use it when I have to. Kids today though, with their damn phones always out...

not just kids, adults at my work are always on their cells.  Like you, I only use mine as needed,  otherwise it stays in my pocket. I don't like being on the phone but it's a necessary way of life nowadays. I have never sent a text.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/08 at 2:46 am

I'd probably use a pencil if I wind up making mistakes.
...with an eraser on the end?

Written By: Howard on 09/17/08 at 6:50 am

...with an eraser on the end?

An eraser with a rubber tip.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/08 at 6:51 am

not just kids, adults at my work are always on their cells.  Like you, I only use mine as needed,  otherwise it stays in my pocket. I don't like being on the phone but it's a necessary way of life nowadays. I have never sent a text.  ::)

Yeah Mike you should these kids on The MTA,texting like crazy and using their T-Mobile Sidekick. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/08 at 2:44 pm

Yeah Mike you should these kids on The MTA,texting like crazy and using their T-Mobile Sidekick. ::)
...with double-jointed thumbs?

Written By: Howard on 09/17/08 at 3:19 pm

...with double-jointed thumbs?

and using both their hands.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/08 at 6:17 am

and using both their hands.
It can be entertaining to watch people trying to text message with one hand.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/08 at 6:47 am

It can be entertaining to watch people trying to text message with one hand.

yes and I've seen it done on the bus with these kids.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 4:55 am

yes and I've seen it done on the bus with these kids.  ::)
The kids cam multi-task, text talk and eat at the same time.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/08 at 5:37 am

The kids cam multi-task, text talk and eat at the same time.

and talk with their buddies too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 7:09 am

and talk with their buddies too.
Not talk, shout with their buddies too.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/21/08 at 10:12 am

I don't have a cell phone,When you have a cell people can always reach you, and if you ignore them its like " Well I called your cell why didn"t you answer?"Most people are put off when you tell them I didn't feel like it. :D
Although my hubby has one, he needs it for work, but I very rarely use it.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/08 at 4:56 pm

I don't have a cell phone,When you have a cell people can always reach you, and if you ignore them its like " Well I called your cell why didn"t you answer?"Most people are put off when you tell them I didn't feel like it. :D
Although my hubby has one, he needs it for work, but I very rarely use it.

What kind does he have?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/08 at 5:48 am

I was once again offered to top my phone at the post office, how many times do I have to tell them I do not have a mobile phone?

Written By: Howard on 10/14/08 at 6:58 am

I was once again offered to top my phone at the post office, how many times do I have to tell them I do not have a mobile phone?

They never listen.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/08 at 4:31 pm

They never listen.  ::)
...and have bad memories.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/08 at 6:55 pm

Why would you go to a post office to have your phone topped? ???

Written By: karen on 10/15/08 at 7:15 pm

Why would you go to a post office to have your phone topped? ???

The post office is one of the places you can buy top up cards for pay as you go phones (in the UK anyway)

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/15/08 at 7:32 pm

What kind does he have?  ???

Sanyo

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/15/08 at 7:36 pm

I'm kinda split on this, like I am with lots of things. On one hand I miss the time when people weren't attached to texting and being glued to their cellphones (i.e. pre-late '90s, and even then it was nothing compared to now). That can get annoying when you're trying to talk to someone. On the other hand though, it makes it WAY more conveinent to not have to find a payphone then find change. If you just need to call somebody really quick, that's like the perfect thing.

Even though I'm really old school with tech and I swore I'd never get attached to cameraphones - well my new one has one and I know why people dig it (even if I'm just getting into 2004 tech now). I love having an instant camcorder and digital camera. ;)

Besides, even with the obnoxious people it's not cellphones per se that are the problem, it's the way in which they use them. Lots of people don't text 24/7 and have one.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/08 at 6:50 am

The post office is one of the places you can buy top up cards for pay as you go phones (in the UK anyway)

How much does it cost?

Written By: karen on 10/16/08 at 7:43 am

How much does it cost?

Well it depends what card you buy, same as here.  The lowest amount is probably £10. 

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/16/08 at 9:38 am

How much does it cost?

He gets a discount from work around  and pays 35.00 for 300 mins, anything over that is like .25  per minute he didn"t want to add internet, but just recently adding text messaging for I think 5.00 extra dollars a month. His carrier is Sprint and he's never had a problem with them. In fact to call  one Sprint cell to another  Sprint cell  is free, so I usually call my daughter that way cause she has a Sprint.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/08 at 7:10 pm

I use a contract,I don't have a top up card,My family uses contracts.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/16/08 at 8:18 pm

I use a contract,I don't have a top up card,My family uses contracts.

Yeah he has a contract too!!

Written By: Howard on 10/17/08 at 7:16 am

Yeah he has a contract too!!

Is it a yearly?

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/17/08 at 2:03 pm

Is it a yearly?

I believe it is every two years

Written By: Howard on 10/17/08 at 3:26 pm

I believe it is every two years

My phone is every year and around March is when we see if we need a new phone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/08 at 7:25 am

A new phone every year, or they not that durable?

Written By: Howard on 10/18/08 at 4:59 pm

A new phone every year, or they not that durable?

No,we keep the same phone or if we want to trade it in for a new phone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/08 at 5:35 pm

No,we keep the same phone or if we want to trade it in for a new phone.
A more modern and up-to-date version with all the new nick-nacks.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/08 at 5:42 am

A more modern and up-to-date version with all the new nick-nacks.

Our Family just want a regular phone,no new gadgets.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/20/08 at 6:16 am

He has misshaps with his phone, like last year he was washing the car and it fell in the bucket, he has lost his phone, had it broken by uncooperative, combative, patients. My son has thrown it, broken it in half. So all together I would say he's had about 4 or 5 phones in the past few years.

I had a phone,a while ago when I was a group home manager.  I was talking on it, it fell out the window of the car on I-95 and got squished.
It was so long ago all I had to pay was 35.00 to replace it. :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/08 at 7:41 am

Our Family just want a regular phone,no new gadgets.
Do you want one os those phones you can get the Internet on?

Written By: Howard on 10/20/08 at 3:22 pm

Do you want one os those phones you can get the Internet on?

No,We can go into a shop and get one ourselves.

Written By: karen on 10/20/08 at 7:58 pm

No,We can go into a shop and get one ourselves.

Not buy it from the Internet!  A phone where you can access the internet through the phone

Written By: Howard on 10/21/08 at 6:53 am

Not buy it from the Internet!  A phone where you can access the internet through the phone

buying a cell phone off the internet can be very tricky.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/08 at 7:49 am

buying a cell phone off the internet can be very tricky.
Too expensive?

Written By: Howard on 10/21/08 at 7:16 pm

Too expensive?

much too expensive from the internet.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/22/08 at 5:40 am

Too expensive?

Getting on the internet is really very costly via cell phone I mean.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/08 at 6:18 am

I will not chase that notion.

Written By: Howard on 10/22/08 at 6:41 am

Yeah GJ,they charge for shipping and handling.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/08 at 7:35 am

Yeah GJ,they charge for shipping and handling.
...then the rental, etc?

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/22/08 at 6:34 pm

...then the rental, etc?

Nah go to the local mall they have stores that sell them everywhere. Some can be as cheap as 25.00, but they are pay as you go phones.

Written By: Howard on 10/22/08 at 6:47 pm

Nah go to the local mall they have stores that sell them everywhere. Some can be as cheap as 25.00, but they are pay as you go phones.

How do you use a pay as you go phone?  ???

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/22/08 at 7:17 pm

How do you use a pay as you go phone?  ???

You buy the phone, and then you can buy cards with codes that you activate for different amounts, like 15.00 for .5 a minute.
at least that was how it worked when I had mine about 3 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/08 at 7:01 am

You buy the phone, and then you can buy cards with codes that you activate for different amounts, like 15.00 for .5 a minute.
at least that was how it worked when I had mine about 3 years ago.

I'd rather buy the phone and use a contract.

Written By: Midas on 11/13/08 at 10:58 am

I'd rather buy the phone and use a contract.

And toast it?  :D

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/13/08 at 12:36 pm

I've been without a cellphone for several months now,surprisingly i don't miss it at all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 12:49 pm

I've been without a cellphone for several months now,surprisingly i don't miss it at all.
Like you I had a mobile phone for about three months about three years ago, and since when that phone packed up, I have not had one since. I get along without one.

Written By: Tia on 11/13/08 at 12:50 pm

i don't have one either! i'm thinking of getting a rotary phone when i move in to my new place.

http://www.thebondhotel.co.uk/images/sparkfun_rotary_phone_1.jpg

they're cool!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/13/08 at 1:03 pm

Like you I had a mobile phone for about three months about three years ago, and since when that phone packed up, I have not had one since. I get along without one.

I really like the idea of using a payphone in a booth (just like the old days with the red phoneboxes) but once in there when you actually take a close look at the receiver they are absolutely manky..can't bear to put it anywhere near me head and that's after you get passed the stink of stale oui oui .. :D

yes tia i'd love one of those too sommit like this would be nice in my house

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/dsc1041.jpg

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/

Written By: Howard on 11/13/08 at 3:21 pm

And toast it?  :D

damn,I feel like toasting my phone. ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/13/08 at 3:21 pm

i don't have one either! i'm thinking of getting a rotary phone when i move in to my new place.

they're cool!

Wow,that's old school. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 3:30 pm

they're cool!
Now that is what I call a telephone

Written By: Howard on 11/13/08 at 4:11 pm

Now that is what I call a telephone

probably older than me?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/08 at 6:43 am

probably older than me?
http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/uimg_new/dialup-pc-case-mod-with-old-school-rotary-phone-for-voip.jpg ?

Written By: Howard on 11/14/08 at 6:57 am

http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/uimg_new/dialup-pc-case-mod-with-old-school-rotary-phone-for-voip.jpg ?

Wow,that's an old phone,where's the answering machine? ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/15/08 at 11:43 am

that phone looks like it's already been 'toasted' judging by the colour!

oh yes...

I have a cellphone

Written By: Howard on 11/15/08 at 7:05 pm

that phone looks like it's already been 'toasted' judging by the colour!

oh yes...

I have a cellphone

Which one is it?

Check for new replies or respond here...