inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Queen's Music and Kids...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/09/07 at 5:33 pm

Has anybody else noticed how kids really seem to take to Queen's music?

Both of my kids love this band's music...as does my nephew (who lives in Japan)...and some of the boys my son plays with...

My daughter can always pick out a Queen song on the radio and will often insist that I turn up the volume!  :D 

Subject: Re: Queen's Music and Kids...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/09/07 at 5:36 pm

My daughter's singing group at school performed We Are The Champions at one of their concerts and it was awesome to see my kid and her friends up there rocking out to Queen.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/09/07 at 5:39 pm

My daughter's singing group at school performed We Are The Champions at one of their concerts and it was awesome to see my kid and her friends up there rocking out to Queen.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

That's cool, Mike!  8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/09/07 at 6:05 pm

I remember taking my record album "The Game" by Queen with me to play at the end of school party in 6th grade and everybody loved it.  I guess that would have been about 1981ish?

Written By: spaceace on 05/09/07 at 7:40 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody made me cry as a kid.  My brothers considered it a milestone when I could listen to it without bawling.  I always loved We Are The Champions.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/09/07 at 9:27 pm

Well, it doesn't surprise me. Bands like The Beatles, vintage Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, KISS, Van Halen, The Doors, Tom Petty and tons of other "classic rock" from the 1964-1981 time (and perhaps the early-mid '80s in a reduced extent too) have sorta passed into being "eternally cool" and timeless. I have a feeling "older" things will become more and more this way. Like nostalgia periods may take a backseat after the third decade, but won't totally ever die out.

Queen's longevity could also have something to do with Wayne's World. ;) Ironically, I was never much a fan, though, outside of "Another One Bites the Dust" but I like most classic rock.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/09/07 at 10:05 pm

Yes..I've noticed this too. I have two cousins (ages 18 and 14) and they LOVE Queen. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/09/07 at 10:15 pm

Just for clarification purposes, this is how I see the various stages of "young" life:

Kids - 3-12
Teens (traditionally) - 13-17
Young adult - 18-early 30s

Are you referring to primarily the "teen" group here?

Written By: karen on 05/10/07 at 3:38 am

My two (aged 8 and 5) like We Will Rock You, Don't Stop Me Now and Fat Bottomed Girls amongst others.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/07 at 6:42 am

My favorite is Under Pressure.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/10/07 at 6:53 am

My sons got Guitar Hero II for Christmas and now have all of the songs on their ipods....when my oldest was first playing it at a friend's, he came and asked me to put Cheap Trick, Queen, The Police, etc on his ipod and I was, like, "How on earth did you hear about these songs?" because some of them aren't the most popular ones ;)

Although, my kids have been raised on 80s music so it shouldn't surprise me ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/10/07 at 8:18 am

I got into plenty of "past its time" things once I was around 9 or 10 in the early '90s, and moreso afterwards. It's not that hard when you've got a mass media to pick from. For me, the music was from "classic rock" stations and videos on VH1, or even just hearing what someone else is listening to. This is also something that has progressively gotten more common, IMO.

The classmates I had who gave me a hard time for '80s stuff never really ripped on the '70s, interestingly (or at least far less so, lol).

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 2:20 pm

Just for clarification purposes, this is how I see the various stages of "young" life:

Kids - 3-12
Teens (traditionally) - 13-17
Young adult - 18-early 30s

Are you referring to primarily the "teen" group here?

Well, my daughter is 11 and my son is 6... :D

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/10/07 at 2:46 pm

I heard a kid scream "I want to ride my bicycle" when they got in trouble.  I dont think they were refering to the song.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/10/07 at 3:21 pm

I heard a kid scream "I want to ride my bicycle" when they got in trouble.  I dont think they were refering to the song.

;D

All of my nieces and nephews love Queen too...who doesn't though?

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/10/07 at 3:23 pm

I didn't know Jordan liked Queen.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/10/07 at 3:25 pm

Oh yeah.  I actually burned the CD for your dad after they all went and saw "Happy Feet."  I haven't seen it, but I guess there is some Queen music in the movie and the kids dug it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 3:27 pm

Oh yeah.  I actually burned the CD for your dad after they all went and saw "Happy Feet."  I haven't seen it, but I guess there is some Queen music in the movie and the kids dug it.

You two know each other? That's cool.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 3:30 pm

You two know each other? That's cool.

Cat

That's what I was just wondering... :D

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/10/07 at 3:33 pm

Ya, we fight all the time.    ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/10/07 at 3:37 pm

Ya, we fight all the time.     ;D

;D  Not THAT much!

Scott is my husband's brother, and I adore him.  I've been trying to get him to join since he was here at Christmas time.  Of course he had to be difficult and wait 5 months...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 3:38 pm

Scott is my husband's brother, and I adore him.  I've been trying to get him to join since he was here at Christmas time.  Of course he had to be difficult and wait 5 months...

Better late than never!  ;)

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/10/07 at 3:50 pm

Better late than never!  ;)

Yep, im always good for a late entrance.

And look, im already a 2 star pingu.  Whatever that means.  I think maybe im not a newbie anymore.  LoL. 

Written By: Apricot on 05/10/07 at 3:55 pm

Has anybody else noticed how kids really seem to take to Queen's music?

Both of my kids love this band's music...as does my nephew (who lives in Japan)...and some of the boys my son plays with...

My daughter can always pick out a Queen song on the radio and will often insist that I turn up the volume!  :D 

Actually, I have noticed this.. for some reason, Queen's music seems to really catch on for kids.. I hated music from around Queen's time as a younger man, but I really enjoyed them for some reason. They're not bad now, but as a kid I really liked them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 3:57 pm

Yep, im always good for a late entrance.

And look, im already a 2 star pingu.  Whatever that means.  I think maybe im not a newbie anymore.  LoL. 

You are half-way to be able to give out karma. Keep going.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 4:09 pm

Actually, I have noticed this.. for some reason, Queen's music seems to really catch on for kids.. I hated music from around Queen's time as a younger man, but I really enjoyed them for some reason. They're not bad now, but as a kid I really liked them.

It's kinda interesting for me, as I enjoy Queen more now than I did as a kid... :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 4:32 pm

It's kinda interesting for me, as I enjoy Queen more now than I did as a kid... :D

I liked Queen then and I like Queen now. I remember one time my step-father was "concerned" about the lyrics of the music I was listening to. I had on "News of the World" album and the song "All Dead, All Dead" came on and he said, "This isn't bad, 'All day, all day."  I can't remember if I corrected him or not. (I think I did), but I thought it was kind of funny.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/11/07 at 3:58 am

Told you you'd soon 'evolve'!

Check for new replies or respond here...