inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the freakin' hurry!!

Written By: loki 13 on 05/15/07 at 7:11 pm

I was coming home from work when a car decided to bolt out in front of me. There wasn't a soul
behind me but he had to pull out in front, why? to get where he was going 3 seconds sooner?

Since then I've noticed, everyone is in such a freakin' hurry. The guy who constantly changes lanes because
the lane he's in isn't going fast enough. The guy who floors it, only to have to stomp on the breaks at the
next light and the guy behind you that beeps at you the second the light turns green to get you moving.

When you think about it, society is making people hurry. EZ Pass for highways, microwave dinners ready in
minutes, Supermarkets selling dinners ready made and ready to eat. Express checkouts, self serve checkouts
and direct deposit. Everybody wants things faster; fast food, fast cars and for some --- fast women.

So this leads me to ask ------ WHAT'S THE FREAKIN' HURRY?

Subject: Re: What's the freakin' hurry!!

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 7:26 pm

I was coming home from work when a car decided to bolt out in front of me. There wasn't a soul
behind me but he had to pull out in front, why? to get where he was going 3 seconds sooner?

Since then I've noticed, everyone is in such a freakin' hurry. The guy who constantly changes lanes because
the lane he's in isn't going fast enough. The guy who floors it, only to have to stomp on the breaks at the
next light and the guy behind you that beeps at you the second the light turns green to get you moving.

When you think about it, society is making people hurry. EZ Pass for highways, microwave dinners ready in
minutes, Supermarkets selling dinners ready made and ready to eat. Express checkouts, self serve checkouts
and direct deposit. Everybody wants things faster; fast food, fast cars and for some --- fast women.

I can see what you mean.

I have a tendancy to drive fairly fast, especially because I live right on the border between Illinois and Missouri.. well in Illinois you can drive at 70 on most of the highways, whereas in Missouri it's 60 (or hell, even 55 in some places) so I tend to speed a lot seeing as I just keep it around 70 no matter where I am. That being said... I've never understood the people who weave in and out of traffic just to gain 100 yards.. I mean, if it's rush hour they're just gonna get stuck a mile up the road and if it's not.. well then there's no need to switch lanes all the time, just slide on over in the fast lane and cruise at 80 something.

Self Serve Checkouts and Direct Deposits are wonderful. I get annoyed waiting in line at the grocery store.. not because it's taking ages, just because I'm not doing anything, I kinda like checking myself out, It amuses me briefly. Without Direct Debits and Direct Deposits I'd be a financial wreck, I can never remember when I'm supposed to pay things and whenever I get checks, they sit in my wallet for weeks before I remember to take them to the Credit Union.

Microwave dinners should be banned, they're vile and crap.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/15/07 at 8:09 pm

I've been known to drive fast also, especially if I am going to and from work. I am not a lane weaver though.

When I a riding my motorcycle I am just the opposite, I don't care how fast I'm going, I am just out
enjoying the ride. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/07 at 8:25 pm

Several times, cars have bolted out to pass me, and I'm going the speed limit.  One time, a car that did this, ended up turning up ahead, so right after he passed me, he cut me off, and I nearly had to jam on my brakes

Those express check-outs in supermarkets aren't always fast though, atleast from my experiences in them lol.  Usually I always end up behind some unorganized woman, who takes the longest time clawing through her junk filled purse to find the smallest possible change, that she slowly counts out, often losing count, and having to start all over again.  I usually don't mind waiting, but after like 10 minutes, I start seeing red lol

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/15/07 at 8:58 pm

I hate when people do that!!  What really bugs me is when there are signs for a lane closure and some jerk has got to speed up to the cones and try to merge over because they don't want to sit in the lane with traffic.  Usually I'm a courteous driver, letting others get into the lane in front of me but not when that happens, just for spite I don't let them merge.  ;D

What about fools that drive on the shoulders when there is traffic? 

I usually have someone right up my a$$ as I'm driving since I usually do the speed limit and I'm not going fast enough for them. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/07 at 9:51 pm

"Have you ever noticed that everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac?"
- George Carlin.

And thus, my modest proposal for the highways:

Idiots: If you're in the left lane, keep an eye in your rear-view mirror.  If some maniac is behind you, pull over when it's safe to do so and let them pass.  Odds are that the law in your state requires you to do so, even if the other guy's speeding.  Unless you're carrying a badge, you have no business "enforcing" the laws against speeding.  If you must feel rage and offense at being passed, let the maniac pass you and take solace in the fact that he's your "rabbit" -- the guy who runs out ahead and and attracts the attention of any cops ahead of you.

Maniacs: If some idiot is clogging the left lane, periodically (once every 3-5 seconds) flash your high beams at him.  Do not tailgate him -- the law in your state almost certainly prohibits "following too close".  Do not honk your horn -- the law in your state almost certainly prohibits the use of the horn as anything other than a device to warn other drivers against hazards.  If you must feel rage and offense at being impeded, at least have the patience to let the idiot doing 64 get far enough ahead of any traffic he's passing so that he can pull over without cutting off some poor guy doing 63 in the next lane before you start flashing your light.

Everyone:  Read, and grok in its fullness, the physics of traffic waves

Everyone:  If your ego depends on your driving ability (and it does!), stop showing off for the cops (every speeder you prevent from speeding is lost revenue for them), stop showing off for the race car drivers (any racer worth impressing knows the difference between the public highways and a track), and start trying to impress the long-haul truckers.  They put up with so much crap from us four-wheelers, and expect so little in return.  (The cheapest driver education I ever got was listening to a $5 CB from a garage sale as a passenger in a car on a long road trip.  Over the years, I've gotten plenty of grins/thumbs-up/honks/waves just for letting a truck change lanes where other drivers were speeding by him, or by holding back at an intersection to permit a truck to safely turn onto a city street.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/07 at 10:42 pm

that pisses me off too! >:(  I get so mad when I am driving...sometimes I wanna kill someone. :-\\  Yesterday, we nearly got our passenger door torn off. We were going down the road, and there was a truck pulled over on the side of the road (I think it was road maintenance or construction, or something)...well, they were still halfway on the road (even though there was plenty of room for them to pull over the entire way)....so we were going by, and all of a sudden, the driver swings open his stupid arse door just as we were going past...and Chris couldn't' really swerve too much to the left because a car was coming in the opposite direction...I was just waiting for the smashing sound...it was THAT close. >:(

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/15/07 at 10:54 pm

I'm sure I've mentioned a million times that road rage is my downfall.  I get so tired of people trying to race me all the time, especially in the morning.  Or those who think that their destination is more important than the saftey of everyone else in the world.  It's just infuriating.  It's a wonder there isn't more violence on the road!

Written By: La Roche on 05/15/07 at 11:04 pm

I'm sure I've mentioned a million times that road rage is my downfall.  I get so tired of people trying to race me all the time, especially in the morning.  Or those who think that their destination is more important than the saftey of everyone else in the world.  It's just infuriating.  It's a wonder there isn't more violence on the road!

I love when somebody wants to race for an exit.. that's the most bizarre in my opinion seeing as 99% of the time you're gonna need to pretty much come to a complete stop within a couple hundred yards of getting off the highway. I've created some of my most intricate streaks of curse words on the Highway 44 exit off of 255.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/15/07 at 11:08 pm

I love when somebody wants to race for an exit.. that's the most bizarre in my opinion seeing as 99% of the time you're gonna need to pretty much come to a complete stop within a couple hundred yards of getting off the highway. I've created some of my most intricate streaks of curse words on the Highway 44 exit off of 255.

The ones who dangerously tailgate you are the best.  Just as they try to get past me, I accelerate to keep pace to majorly piss them off.  Good times.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/15/07 at 11:10 pm

What I've noticed is that those with the shortest amount of time to live (the elderly) generally drive the slowest, and those with the longest amount of time to live (teens) drive the fastest. Shouldn't this be the other way around? I mean, if you're 16, who cares if it takes another 10 minutes to get where you're going? OTOH, 10 minutes to an 85 year old man might represent 1% of his remaining life - he better get moving!

For me I can sum in up it one word: impatience. I detest waiting for lengthy periods of time on anything. Waiting is the result of human inefficiency. If I have 100 items at a grocery checkout, I expect to wait - there's no problem there. But spending 10 minutes in the express lane with one lousy item infuriates me.

Same with fast food - by definition, it should be served fast. The McD's, Wendy's and Hardees here are so slow during peak hours you can eat quicker by making the meal yourself.

I walk fast. It's not that I'm in a hurry, it's just the sooner I get to where I'm going, I waste less time doing trivial thinks like.... walking.

I think the biggest reason, aside from impatience, that I do usually do things in a hurry is that I have more time for myself.

Time is better than money, another reason I hurry.  We recently bought a riding mower - now cutting the grass is a 40 minute job vs the 2.5 hours it was before. It goes to efficiency. I want to hurry up and get the grass cut so I can spend more of my day doing things I like to do (though cutting the yard in 4th gear is strangely fun stuff... like riding a big go kart I guess).

I have a rule about pulling out in front of people: if you make the other driver hit the brakes or let off the gas to avoid an accident, you suck. If you're going to merge into traffic or pull out, you need to be up to speed, pronto. 

Written By: jackas on 05/16/07 at 12:20 am

The one that gets me are the people who need to continue to drive like dicks in the rain.  For instance, when you are on the freeway in the rain and all that mist is flying around and visibility is low so you keep a little more distance from the car in front of you.  Then all of a sudden some dick decides to speed in and take that spot and now I have to hit my brakes to make space between me and him.  I always end up yelling, "That space wasn't for you a$$hole!!!"

I love Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda.  A$$HOOOOLE!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 05/16/07 at 6:40 am

I guess that's why they call it "instant gratification".  ::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 7:15 am

I hate when people do that!!  What really bugs me is when there are signs for a lane closure and some jerk has got to speed up to the cones and try to merge over because they don't want to sit in the lane with traffic.  Usually I'm a courteous driver, letting others get into the lane in front of me but not when that happens, just for spite I don't let them merge.  ;D

What about fools that drive on the shoulders when there is traffic? 

I usually have someone right up my a$$ as I'm driving since I usually do the speed limit and I'm not going fast enough for them. 

That's why I'm glad I have a BIG vehicle.  I never let them in (unless they're bigger than me, which most aren't) and have had some birds flipped, some horns honked, and I'm sure some choice words.  I've scared the crap out of people riding in my car doing this, but I figure if they hit me, they're liable (and we're usually not going fast enough to do much damage) and I can finally get my door dings fixed for free ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tia on 05/16/07 at 7:21 am

i think washington just got rated fifth in the nation for road rage?

i dunno, i try and drive real slow and mellow, but i keep getting caught up in childish games with people. my big thing is if someone tailgates me, i REALLY start riding the brakes in a crazed and erratic fashion. i actually want those stupid bastards to hit me, so i can pull over like i'm gonna trade insurance info, and then just crack their heads open with a folded up guitar stand. i really got into it last week on the way to practice. HATE tailgaters.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/07 at 11:14 am

There was one time we (ex-boyfriend was driving) were stuck in weekend traffic. This was a two-lane highway and there the traffic was awful. This jerk was basically riding our ass and wanted to get around us-as if he had a place to go. We were at least 1 car-length from the car ahead of us and the on-coming lane was just as bad so there was really no place for him to pass. I told my ex to really piss him off and slow down. So he did. This guy started honking and I'm sure he was cussing us out, too. I have no idea what his problem was. Maybe he had to go pee real bad-or, he could have had an actual emergency he needed to get to.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/16/07 at 11:32 am

That's a very good question, Kevin!  ???

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/16/07 at 11:33 am

Because life is short,and we want to experience everything we think we're entitled to,so there's no time to go slow,patience is a virtue most of us lack,or i know i do :-\\

But i'm really fortunate in a way, i don't have or need a car,so traffic kind of passes me by 8)

Written By: tv on 05/16/07 at 11:39 am

I hear a couple people on this thread complaning about a car racing to an exit well the BMW drivers they all do that like say your on a three lane highway they'll go in the center lane while your in the right lane just to pass you and then get of an exit shortly after passing you. I never unnderstood why people need to pass you like 50 feet from where they are going to exit a road.

As for people flashing their high-beams yeah I can be in the right-lane and a 4 wheeler well use his flashers. I mean there is the center lane and their 3rd lane(fast lane) he can use in order to pass me. I don;t understand why the 4 wheeler needs to use his flashers while there are 2 other lanes in which he can use to pass me.

I don;t understand either why people need to do 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. I mean everybody is whining about high gas prices but you have people driving 85 mph but maybe if they would drove slower they would use less fuel.

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 11:46 am

i think washington just got rated fifth in the nation for road rage?

i dunno, i try and drive real slow and mellow, but i keep getting caught up in childish games with people. my big thing is if someone tailgates me, i REALLY start riding the brakes in a crazed and erratic fashion. i actually want those stupid bastards to hit me, so i can pull over like i'm gonna trade insurance info, and then just crack their heads open with a folded up guitar stand. i really got into it last week on the way to practice. HATE tailgaters.

The nation really ought to emulate you.

When people get right on my ass I love to slow down too. Get about 5mph under the speed limit and keep it there, occasionally weave a little bit just so they're not sure if I'm hammered or not and don't wanna overtake.

Written By: Tia on 05/16/07 at 11:51 am

i think what happens is you start rushing in the car, it makes the experience of driving so awful and nerve-wracking that you start dying to get the eff OUTTA the car, which makes you rush more. it's a vicious cycle.

that's why it's best to just really take your time. Some folks here know I’m kinda weird about movies – has anyone noticed that they can make car crashes really terrifying in flicks these days? With computers and such? Adaptation, disturbia, and death proof all have really messed up car crashes in them. I remember seeing all three of those and thinking, now THAT’S an experience I seriously do not wanna have. So I try and drive careful, but sometimes my temper gets the better of me anyway. There’s some real jerkoffs out there!

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 11:54 am

i think what happens is you start rushing in the car, it makes the experience of driving so awful and nerve-wracking that you start dying to get the eff OUTTA the car, which makes you rush more. it's a vicious cycle.

that's why it's best to just really take your time. Some folks here know I’m kinda weird about movies – has anyone noticed that they can make car crashes really terrifying in flicks these days? With computers and such? Adaptation, disturbia, and death proof all have really messed up car crashes in them. I remember seeing all three of those and thinking, now THAT’S an experience I seriously do not wanna have. So I try and drive careful, but sometimes my temper gets the better of me anyway. There’s some real jerkoffs out there!

Dude, that's such a good point.

I think I've said before, I have to cross the Jefferson barracks bridge at least twice a day right. Now, this is a big ass bridge over the Mississippi, also, it gets narrower than the highway on either side.. I always.. always imagine that I'm going to look down at the river for just 2 seconds or something and plow right in to the back of someone, everything will get wrecked up and we'll end up sliding over the edge in to the river.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 12:44 pm

I'm usually in a hurry because I hate being late and I'm usually running late so I have to get there on time ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/16/07 at 7:23 pm

I'm usually in a hurry because I hate being late and I'm usually running late so I have to get there on time ;D

Do you run for the train during morning rush hour?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/17/07 at 1:25 am

I think one common cause of being late and thus in a hurry, especially in the morning, is being lazy beforehand. Like I tend to stay in bed if I know I've still got time left before I "have" to leave. I was really bad about that in high school, lol. I'd often be running like a wildman to make my first class (I live really close to my old HS, so I didn't need a bus or anything).

Written By: karen on 05/17/07 at 3:51 am

I hear a couple people on this thread complaning about a car racing to an exit well the BMW drivers they all do that like say your on a three lane highway they'll go in the center lane while your in the right lane just to pass you and then get of an exit shortly after passing you. I never unnderstood why people need to pass you like 50 feet from where they are going to exit a road.

They get a piece of paper saying they own the road when they buy the car new.  (So I've heard)

Written By: Howard on 05/17/07 at 6:23 am

When I rush in the morning,I sometimes forget either my keys,my wallet or my cell phone and that's when I have to run home and get what I have to get then leave the house.

Written By: Tia on 05/17/07 at 10:06 am

i totally couldn't find my wallet this morning.  >:( i had to use a fistful of nickels to buy my subway ticket to get to work, and thank god i ahve some leftover chinese cuz otherwise i'd starve all day. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/07 at 11:40 am

They get a piece of paper saying they own the road when they buy the car new.  (So I've heard)

Then maybe they could fix some of the potholes in it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/18/07 at 3:13 pm

When I used to ride the trains during the morning rush,people would be waiting for the train to stop then passengers act like running bulls trying to get their favorite seat,Does that ever happen to you? ::)

Written By: Tia on 05/18/07 at 3:15 pm

When I used to ride the trains during the morning rush,people would be waiting for the train to stop then passengers act like running bulls trying to get their favorite seat,Does that ever happen to you? ::)
i'm living that daily.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/07 at 3:16 pm

i'm living that daily.

And how do you like it?

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/07 at 3:46 pm

And how do you like it?

He loves it Howard, when strange men and women touch and push him it gives him groin thrills.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/18/07 at 3:54 pm

He loves it Howard, when strange men and women touch and push him it gives him groin thrills.

guess thats better than groin pain.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/18/07 at 8:27 pm

so I'm driving my morning commute on a 2 way back road that's posted 50mph and even though it's windy, you can go 55-65 safely. Every once in awhile I'll get a driver in front of me that wants to do 40-45 which slows every one down & what kills me is when we reach the stretch of residential that's posted 25mph and the cops give a lot of tickets, one would expect the driver in front to slow down. NO! they continue thru the 25mph at 45 mph. and of course, that's when you never see a cop.

and the drivers on the freeways here have no clue that you should slow down when it's pouring rain. I watched this young guy pass me by in the fast lane, and there was a lot of water on the road and it was raining (big rain) and I'm thinking that dude is gonna hydroplane and sure enough I watched him spin out in front of me,. luckily I was thinking about it so I started slowing down before braking too hard and watched him spin once and then hit another car. that was wild. I'm sure no one got hurt. I hope he learned a lesson there.

Written By: jackas on 05/18/07 at 11:57 pm

and the drivers on the freeways here have no clue that you should slow down when it's pouring rain. I watched this young guy pass me by in the fast lane, and there was a lot of water on the road and it was raining (big rain) and I'm thinking that dude is gonna hydroplane and sure enough I watched him spin out in front of me,. luckily I was thinking about it so I started slowing down before braking too hard and watched him spin once and then hit another car. that was wild. I'm sure no one got hurt. I hope he learned a lesson there.

Same thing happened to my sister, but she just let her foot off the gas when she saw they guy driving like an @ss in the rain.  He lost control and because she didn't slow down enough, he ended up hitting her.  She wasn't hurt...just the car.

Written By: Tia on 05/19/07 at 9:55 am

i dreamed last night that i was on a speeding bus, we almost got squeezed between an 18-wheeler and a concrete divider, swerved wildly across the road at high speeds, and then finally jackknifed and rolled over. i was in the back and the bus rolled over on its side door so it was up to me to open the emergency exit in the back so everyone could get out but i couldn't get the door open.

see why i drive like a GILF?

Written By: Howard on 05/19/07 at 7:45 pm

Nobody knows how to stop for pedestrians sometimes,No wonder people are in a hurry! >:(

Written By: jackas on 05/20/07 at 12:35 am

Nobody knows how to stop for pedestrians sometimes,No wonder people are in a hurry! >:(

Huh?

Written By: Tia on 05/20/07 at 12:51 am

Huh?
i assume he's referring to pedestrians running away from the path of oncoming cars.

Written By: jackas on 05/20/07 at 12:53 am

i assume he's referring to pedestrians running away from the path of oncoming cars.

Must be.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/07 at 6:50 am

Must be.

When you're trying to cross the street and cars go whizzing by without even stopping for one second! >:(

Written By: La Roche on 05/20/07 at 7:53 am

When you're trying to cross the street and cars go whizzing by without even stopping for one second! >:(

Yeah.. there would be these.. cross-walk things.

Ok.. at pretty much ever red light (the big light dealys that change from green to red) you can cross safely at some point by paying attention to a) the flow of traffic and b) the little man on the light up sign on the other side of the road. These are exceptionally beneficial to your continued existence.

Written By: KKay on 05/20/07 at 8:30 am

S.I. is the main thorofare used by trucks, busses and cars to get from and to jersey from NYC.  The traffic is remarkable.  but it turns on and of like a switch.  It begins at 8 and stops at like...9:15.

I don't know how they do it.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/07 at 7:04 pm

Sometimes when I'm collecting carts,people just back up and don't see me so my carts get hit it in the back,They should see the orange vest with the yellow stripes while I'm doing the carts. ::)

Written By: karen on 05/21/07 at 7:50 am

Yeah.. there would be these.. cross-walk things.

Ok.. at pretty much ever red light (the big light dealys that change from green to red) you can cross safely at some point by paying attention to a) the flow of traffic and b) the little man on the light up sign on the other side of the road. These are exceptionally beneficial to your continued existence.

There's been anew set of traffic lights installed in town and the columnist in the local paper is always complaining about them being to confusing.  Apparently because one of the stop lines is a reasonable distance (i.e. the other side of a T junction) away from where you can cross it's tricky working out when you can safely cross.  NO IT'S NOT!  Is there a green man showing? then it's safe to cross!  If the red man is showing then it might not be safe to cross.  It's not rocket science  >:(

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/21/07 at 12:29 pm

Do you run for the train during morning rush hour?
No.  A) I live in the sticks and there are no trains that could be considered to have a "rush hour" B) I have no job and therefore no need to take the train and C) If I were to take a train from any of the stations near my house, I would not have to worry because I'd be getting on at the beginning of the line (the 2 stations are the turnaround points for the lines that run into the city)

I have to applaud Loki for this thread because I thought of it as I was speeding through the country to get to the oldest's school this morning.  The roads are all through cornfields (corn as far as the eye can see) and as I thought of it, I slowed down.....which was a good idea since there was a cop sitting in a small grove of trees I was approaching.  He nailed the guy coming towards me (who obviously hasn't read this thread) ;D

Written By: La Roche on 05/21/07 at 4:06 pm

There's been anew set of traffic lights installed in town and the columnist in the local paper is always complaining about them being to confusing.  Apparently because one of the stop lines is a reasonable distance (i.e. the other side of a T junction) away from where you can cross it's tricky working out when you can safely cross.  NO IT'S NOT!  Is there a green man showing? then it's safe to cross!  If the red man is showing then it might not be safe to cross.  It's not rocket science  >:(

He's probably from Coalville. Brushing your teeth is rocket science there... bloody web feet.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/07 at 11:15 pm

My husband reads an article by Peter King every Monday.  He reports on football, but
he also talks about other non related football stuff as well.  Here is
something he mentioned that my husband shared with me, and I thought you all might enjoy it as much as we did.

Aggravating/Enjoyable Travel Note of the Week

Eyewitnessed at the Pilgrim Shopping Plaza, Verona, N.J.:

Woman in late-model minivan, just in front of me, begins to turn right into
a row of parked cars, looking for a parking space. She slams her brakes
suddenly, causing me to slam mine. The reason: Another woman, this one in a
tan Audi, is driving slowly down the row, right in the middle of the row,
with a cellphone pressed to her ear. The Audi woman is not paying attention,
until the minivan woman leans on her horn continuously for a full five
seconds. Now the minivan woman puts her car in park and, with her van
cutting off the Audi, gets out of the car. I've never seen this before. Audi
woman looks steamed.

"GET OFF YOUR *&%#ING PHONE! GET OFF YOUR &^%#ING PHONE!'' minivan woman
yells while walking to the window of Audi woman. Audi woman's window is
closed. Good thing. Minivan woman would slug her in the jaw if the window
were open.

I find myself cheering on minivan woman. Where's the enforcement of the
cell-phone laws in some states, the ones that mandate users not be holding
the phone while driving?

Minivan woman yammers some really good Jersey language at Audi woman, and I
never hear Audi woman because she never opens her window. She looks like one
of those people in a Southwest Airlines commercial. (You know, the ones that
ask, "Want to get away?) Minivan woman gives her a middle-finger salute,
shakes her head angrily, and I back up to give her room to back up and let
Audi woman slink away, phoneless.

Go get her, minivan woman!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/21/07 at 11:54 pm

Minivan woman FTW.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/07 at 4:42 pm

I hate when the train door opens and everyone runs to catch their favorite seat and you get bumrushed like bulls in a stampede.    ::)

Written By: karen on 05/23/07 at 3:42 am

I hate when the train door opens and everyone runs to catch their favorite seat and you get bumrushed like bulls in a stampede.    ::)

You have two choices

1) stand back and let the crowds sort themselves out first
2)develop sharper elbows and shove harder

Written By: Howard on 05/23/07 at 6:34 am

You have two choices

1) stand back and let the crowds sort themselves out first
2)develop sharper elbows and shove harder

Number 2 is what I'd do.

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/26/07 at 8:47 pm

Davey:

I kinda like checking myself out,It amuses me briefly.

Hmm. You must be one good looking Dude. Who needs to checkout the checkout chicks.(but I know what you meant). Still, I think 'Right said Fred' would approve.

The one that gets me are the people who need to continue to drive like dicks in the rain.  For instance, when you are on the freeway in the rain and all that mist is flying around and visibility is low so you keep a little more distance from the car in front of you.  Then all of a sudden some dick decides to speed in and take that spot and now I have to hit my brakes to make space between me and him.  I always end up yelling, "That space wasn't for you a$$hole!!!"

Jacks: I have to agree with you there. I generally like to keep a few car lengths between me  and the person ahead as a 'safety/buffer' zone. Those dicks seem to ignore that the braking time will be longer on a wet surface, and the chances of a skid more likely too. Personally, I avoid driving in the rain if it's an option, even though I'd say ability wise, I'm probably at least 'average', if not above. Well, I did drive a taxi for some years, and a number of people complimented me on a 'smooth ride'.

Maybe it's all those Hollywood movies with cops chasing more or less indestructible villains pulling all kinds of crazy stupid stunts. Perhaps some of the people out there think they can pull this off in real life?

I subscribe to the theory of say doing 75mph in a 70mph zone (in good conditions) hitting the 'cruise control' and staying there in the fast lane. Now if someone else wants to go faster, they can go around me. After all, if I saw someone up ahead cruise controlled on 72mph, I wouldn't start flashing them/expecting them to move over for me, since I'm already being 'naughty' (strictly) and I can see they're at least doing the limit. No, I'd get into the slower lanes (if possible) then return to that same lane a few car lengths later. If I can't pass, I'll just slow to 72mph and wait for my opportunity. I just want to cruise, not make manoeuvres every 5 seconds.

If I'm doing 75mph, chilling out to some music, then glance in my mirror to find some jerk who's driving at 120mph has suddenly appeared out of nowhere/flashing lights .. maybe honking horns etc; wants to more or less drive me off the road/ intimidate the hell ... well, I will sit there stubbornly and dare them to cause an accident, which will make them arrive far more slowly (if at all!).

Anyhow, this is all academic (personally) since I don't have a car/haven't driven for years now.

This subject all sort of relates to a 'me first' attitude (and 'stuff you') that seems increasingly common today, particularly in cities. My own 'pet hates' include nearly getting run over/often startled by cyclists on the footpath as soon as I open my front door to step on to the street, and neighbours dog's barking throughout the day intruding into my flat. The selfish jerks have obviously gone out, and don't care or give a damn about their pets or their neighbours well being. They want their pets when they want them, otherwise, they don't exist.

It's so refreshing when you actually meet considerate nice people.

Written By: La Roche on 05/26/07 at 10:47 pm

Davey:

Hmm. You must be one good looking Dude. Who needs to checkout the checkout chicks.(but I know what you meant). Still, I think 'Right said Fred' would approve.

Ba dum tsch!

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/26/07 at 11:31 pm

Ba dum tsch!

'Phtang! Phtang!'

:P ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...