inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hard to please?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 12:31 pm

Andy's experience with his ex-girlfriend over the sausage inspired me to start this thread because I know so many people who are so hard to please (or are willing to admit they're hard to please)....

For example, a friend of mine kept bugging her husband to buy her some jewelry for her birthday/Christmas/Mother's Day/etc.  So, he finally goes out and buys her a diamond tennis bracelet.....she wants to take it back because the diamonds aren't "as good as she wants" :o  Now, hubby's a jewelry-buyer (I get some kind of it for almost every holiday) and I would NEVER think of complaining about anything he bought.  Now, granted, I've not seen the bracelet, but I understand now why this guy rarely buys her stuff like jewelry....I know if I kept complaining, hubby wouldn't buy me anything either.  When hubby bought me my tennis bracelet, the LAST thing I thought about was how good/bad the diamonds were....I was just surprised and happy that he got it for me (he bought it for me for Mother's Day when I was pregnant with our oldest).

Of course, this is just one of many stories I could relate (many are over even more random stuff than this).....and I'm sure everyone has a story about something like this.....next :)

Or, maybe it's just me, I don't think I'm very hard to please and hubby always tells me I'm not, but maybe I am ???

Subject: Re: Hard to please?

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 12:35 pm

Andy's experience with his ex-girlfriend over the sausage inspired me to start this thread because I know so many people who are so hard to please (or are willing to admit they're hard to please)....

For example, a friend of mine kept bugging her husband to buy her some jewelry for her birthday/Christmas/Mother's Day/etc.  So, he finally goes out and buys her a diamond tennis bracelet.....she wants to take it back because the diamonds aren't "as good as she wants" :o  Now, hubby's a jewelry-buyer (I get some kind of it for almost every holiday) and I would NEVER think of complaining about anything he bought.  Now, granted, I've not seen the bracelet, but I understand now why this guy rarely buys her stuff like jewelry....I know if I kept complaining, hubby wouldn't buy me anything either.  When hubby bought me my tennis bracelet, the LAST thing I thought about was how good/bad the diamonds were....I was just surprised and happy that he got it for me (he bought it for me for Mother's Day when I was pregnant with our oldest).

Of course, this is just one of many stories I could relate (many are over even more random stuff than this).....and I'm sure everyone has a story about something like this.....next :)

Or, maybe it's just me, I don't think I'm very hard to please and hubby always tells me I'm not, but maybe I am ???

Oh hell, the Sausage incident (which did actually happen) was the tip of the iceberg.

I came home with the wrong light bulbs, wrong trash bags, wrong mop.. wrong everything.

Of course, all my friends were wrong as well.  ::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 12:36 pm

Oh hell, the Sausage incident (which did actually happen) was the tip of the iceberg.

I came home with the wrong light bulbs, wrong trash bags, wrong mop.. wrong everything.

Of course, all my friends were wrong as well.  ::)
ahh, I see, in other words, she was impossible to please (hence the reason she's your EX ;))

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 12:37 pm

ahh, I see, in other words, she was impossible to please (hence the reason she's your EX ;))

Warm, warmer, disco.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/16/07 at 1:47 pm

We have a good friend who bought his wife some pretty gold earrings last Christmas.  Shortly after Christmas, he was moaning to us that his wife didn't like them and told him she was gonna take them back to the store and exchange them!  :o  He was obviously very disappointed, saying things like that was the last time he was gonna buy her any kind of jewelry.  He also told us to make sure that we didn't say anything to her about it.

I would never think of returning any jewelry that my hubby bought me.  Like you, Kim, I'm just thrilled whenever my hubby gives me any kind of gift.  It's the thought that counts.

My hubby must be delighted that I'm not a hard person to please.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/07 at 2:11 pm

I'm not that hard to please, either. Several years ago, Carlos asked me what I wanted for my birthday? Christmas? (can't remember which one). I was very brave and told him a ring (this was BEFORE we were married). Carlos is not one for jewelry-especially diamonds which is what I had in mind. He did get me a ring-a sapphire (not a real one), complete with earrings and a necklace to match. I must admit that I had some mixed emotions-it WASN'T a diamond and I have tiny fingers so the ring was WAY too big for me. Knowing that he is not one for jewelry, I did charish it. I still wore it for a bit but I was afraid of losing it. What really got me was he insisted that it was NOT an engagement ring. After we "offically" got engaged, I asked him about a "real" ring. He told me that he already got me one. I informed him that he did tell me that it WASN'T an engagement ring. He said, "It is now."  :D ;D ;D  I am still afraid to wear the ring for fear of losing it but I did wear the earrings at our wedding (for my something blue). But now, I do have the "REAL" ring-my wedding band (no engagement ring) and that is what counts.

Now, he usually gets me flowers for my birthday, Valentine's Day, & our anniversery.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 05/16/07 at 2:13 pm

My ex from a good while ago (over half a year) was extremely hard to please.. she would randomly get mad at me, and I never knew why. Then I found out one time she didn't speak to me for 2 days, despite my asking.. apparently, she got mad all I'd done for our one-month anniversary (MONTH, keep in mind) was say that it was our one month.. she wanted a gift, cause apparently a past boyfriend bought her a 100 dollar necklace with his parents money on their one-month anniversary.

Mind you, she didn't speak to me for 2 days because, not because I forgot or disregarded.. but because I neglected to buy a trinket.

If that's not hard to please, I don't know what is.

Me, I'm not very to please. All I really need is to be certain the girl cares.. which is admittedly harder than it used to be, being that I've had my trust defied many times.

Written By: Paul on 05/16/07 at 3:00 pm

No, I'm very easy to please...

All I ask for is an ISP that works!  ::)

And hopefully in the not-too-distant-future, I'll have one!  :D

Written By: Gis on 05/16/07 at 3:10 pm

My brother is a nightmare. He can be very rude when he doesn't like a gift you get him and takes loads of stuff back. Luckilly for each of them I guess his wife is just as bad! Last christmas they took back every gift they'd bought each other! 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/16/07 at 3:12 pm

My brother is a nightmare. He can be very rude when he doesn't like a gift you get him and takes loads of stuff back. Luckilly for each of them I guess his wife is just as bad! Last christmas they took back every gift they'd bought each other! 

Every gift?!

Good grief!  ::)

Written By: Paul on 05/16/07 at 3:22 pm

My brother is a nightmare. He can be very rude when he doesn't like a gift you get him and takes loads of stuff back.

Guess he was last in the queue when someone was handing out 'gratitude'...

(...and he'd probably have taken that back as well!  ;))

Luckilly for each of them I guess his wife is just as bad! Last christmas they took back every gift they'd bought each other! 

Rather defeats the object, doesn't it?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 4:16 pm

See, I don't have to worry about that because hubby would rather scratch his eyes out with the smooth end of a toothbrush than do a return after Christmas ;D
And, we usually pick out our own gifts at Christmas.
That and the fact that whatever I get him as a "surprise" usually ends up being ruined by a) someone else buying the same thing or b) him buying it for himself ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/16/07 at 4:22 pm

Lucky for me my husband has excellent taste and always buys me wonderful gifts.  Like some of you guys said, it's the thought that counts - I am always grateful just to get a gift.  But it's nice to have someone who always gets me great stuff!  ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/07 at 4:24 pm

Lucky for me my husband has excellent taste and always buys me wonderful gifts.  Like some of you guys said, it's the thought that counts - I am always grateful just to get a gift.  But it's nice to have someone who always gets me great stuff!  ;D
I have to say that mine also has great taste (either that or he just knows MY taste really well ;))

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/07 at 4:25 pm

See, I don't have to worry about that because hubby would rather scratch his eyes out with the smooth end of a toothbrush than do a return after Christmas ;D
And, we usually pick out our own gifts at Christmas.
That and the fact that whatever I get him as a "surprise" usually ends up being ruined by a) someone else buying the same thing or b) him buying it for himself ::)

We actually stop buying gifts for each other (except the flowers that I mentioned earlier). Sometimes we will buy a "joint" gift, one year it was the dish, another the DVD recorder, etc. But we both agree on it and we both pick it out. Otherwise, if we want something, we just buy it ourselves. There have a few times when it has been trips.

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/16/07 at 4:32 pm

I love how us girls are always saying we're not hard to please,but we all know someone who is ;D

Not me though,"because i'm izzy,izzy like sunday morning" ;)

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/16/07 at 6:12 pm

My husband knows my tastes very well so he's usually a good gift buyer.  He rarely buys me jewelry because I don't wear it.  For Christmas I usually get a few catalogs and circle a bunch of things I like and let him pick.  ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/16/07 at 6:40 pm

I have a sister-in-law who is a TOTAL nightmare...and that's not talking about gifts in particular!

I met her 9 yrs. ago, when I was in college.
About 3 months after I met her, I met Melissa (my wife).

Apparently, Melissa & I are the sole reason of everything being wrong in her life.
The only things she wants in life are:

-For Melissa & I to break up, & me disappear
-For the world to revolve around her, in every way
-To be better than everone in her family

A few years ago, @ Christmastime, we got her a very nice household appliance- one she said she needed.
She opened it, and loved it....until she heard who it was from.
She glared at us, proceeded to pulverize the appliance, spat a venomous "I HATE YOU", and stormed off with her kids in tow.

She broke a $250 appliance, made a BIG scene at her parents' place, and ruined an otherwise wonderful day....just because she can't get over certain events of the past.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/07 at 11:24 am

One of my sisters is definitely HIGH MAINTANACE. The world centers around her. She didn't come to our wedding because she wasn't going to be the center of attention. And her girls wanted to go but she was like, "If I'm not going, no one is going." She has a sugar daddy who would do almost anything for her (and she uses him, too.  ::) )  She doesn't want to marry him because he is "too old". Unfortunately, she is teaching her girls to be just like her.  ::)

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/23/07 at 8:19 am

I have a sister-in-law who is a TOTAL nightmare...and that's not talking about gifts in particular!

I met her 9 yrs. ago, when I was in college.
About 3 months after I met her, I met Melissa (my wife).

Apparently, Melissa & I are the sole reason of everything being wrong in her life.
The only things she wants in life are:

-For Melissa & I to break up, & me disappear
-For the world to revolve around her, in every way
-To be better than everone in her family

A few years ago, @ Christmastime, we got her a very nice household appliance- one she said she needed.
She opened it, and loved it....until she heard who it was from.
She glared at us, proceeded to pulverize the appliance, spat a venomous "I HATE YOU", and stormed off with her kids in tow.

She broke a $250 appliance, made a BIG scene at her parents' place, and ruined an otherwise wonderful day....just because she can't get over certain events of the past.
I would've sent her a bill for the $250 ;D
I love how us girls are always saying we're not hard to please,but we all know someone who is ;D

Not me though,"because i'm izzy,izzy like sunday morning" ;)
My SILs admit they're hard to please, but they try to justify it.  ::)

My best friend (like the friend I mentioned earlier) is also pretty high maintenance, but says she's not.  2 of hubby's coworkers' wives are so high maintenance that I could be worse and I'd STILL look like the easiest woman to please in the world ;D

I think the only gift I've ever returned from hubby was something that was too small.....I was flattered because he thought I was much smaller than I was so it was good to know that he thought of me that way and overlooked the fact that I had gained weight.

Written By: Gis on 05/23/07 at 8:48 am

Ok so early on in our relationship Ian went out on the morning of my birthday and bought me a dvd he wanted.............lets just say that has never happened again!  ;D

Actually he's really good at getting presents on the whole it's my brother and sister in law who are terrible we always dread getting a gift from them. I try to ask them for something specific like a dvd but even that doesn't work all the time.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/23/07 at 8:51 am

From being in the military and living away from my family, I learned that presents aren't really a big deal.  It is the thought that counts.  Plus, now its easy, I just send money to my siblings and they will buy the presents for me.  Amazon.com is a lifesaver too.  Presents are all good and stuff, but time spent with them is more important to me.    

If someone is annoyed with a present that I bought them, I will go out of my way to find the most disrespectful present I can think of.  Then I will go no my merry way.  One I have been thinking about is getting some fake jewlery that looks nice, and secretly inscribe on the jewlery, Biatch, this is fake like you.  Mortal Enemy Always, Scott.   ;D   Ah, but they are lucky im nicer than that.  I will most likely just get pissed and move on.  I dont need that kind of bullcrap.

Life is too damn short to worry about what you get from someone.  

Im lucky to have a great sister-in-law in Ash.        

Check for new replies or respond here...