inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Strange phone number

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/07 at 4:45 pm

So my phone just rang, and according to my caller ID, the phone number was 000-000-0000.  I didn't answer it cause there's no telling what or who it could have been.  After googling the number, all kinds of forums came up where others tell how they have gotten calls and text messages from this same number, and several cases have been telemarketers, wrong numbers, scam artists, or people text messaging swear words and death threats to your cellphone.  Some of these folks say they've gotten calls from that number more than once, some several times a day

I don't know what to make of this, but it's all very creepy.  I hope I don't get a call from this number again :o

Lots of times in the past, I've gotten similar types of strange calls, the major one being when I answer the phone, I hear a ringing, then someone answers, making it seem like I've just dialed someone long distance when I never did.  In those cases, the caller ID reads "unknown name / unknown number".  Nowadays, I never answer numbers I don't recognize; If it's an important call, they will leave a message on my answering machine

Subject: Re: Strange phone number

Written By: Tia on 05/21/07 at 4:54 pm

get out of the phone! the calls are coming from inside the phone!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/07 at 5:22 pm

I always screen my calls...I barely ever answer them.

Written By: nally on 05/21/07 at 5:24 pm

We've had caller ID for almost 5 years now, so most of the time we know who's calling. If the display says "OUT OF AREA", or has a name/number we don't recognize, we don't pick it up. And whoever's calling can leave a message if they have the right number.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/07 at 5:30 pm

We don't have caller ID but I do screen my calls-I let Carlos answer the phone.  ;D

The cell phone does have caller ID so I usually know who is calling.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/21/07 at 7:16 pm

I don't have caller ID, but I sometimes use *69, I've never had that number come up, but I have had 123-456-7890. 

I think I've told this before, but eveyday at 2:09 my phone rings (it used to be at 1:09 until the time changed), no one is there and *69 doesn't work on the number.  Sometimes the recording says "The number is out of our calling range" and sometimes it will give the the number of the last call even if it's been hours ago.  The phone company has no idea why it's ringing everyday. 

Written By: KKay on 05/21/07 at 10:28 pm

it was The Mothman

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/07 at 10:35 pm

it was The Mothman

If he calls back, I'll ask him to tell me about the Prophecies ;D

Written By: KKay on 05/21/07 at 10:38 pm

If he calls back, I'll ask him to tell me about the Prophecies ;D

are you holding chapstick? ;D

Written By: Gis on 05/22/07 at 1:20 am

I don't have caller ID, but I sometimes use *69, I've never had that number come up, but I have had 123-456-7890. 

I think I've told this before, but eveyday at 2:09 my phone rings (it used to be at 1:09 until the time changed), no one is there and *69 doesn't work on the number.  Sometimes the recording says "The number is out of our calling range" and sometimes it will give the the number of the last call even if it's been hours ago.  The phone company has no idea why it's ringing everyday. 
I can explain this one! I had this happen to me for a while and it freaked me out so I called the phone company. It turned out to be a fax machine! Someone had accidentally typed in my phone number and it had dutifully been trying to deliver a message everyday. Quite a relief really, they contacted the company who owned the fax machine and the calls stopped.

We have called I.D so I never answer unless I recognise the number I let the answer machine screen the calls as call centres etc aren't allowed to leave messages.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/07 at 10:03 am

A long time ago, the phone would always ring about a half hour after we went to bed. The person on the other end wouldn't say anything. It didn't matter what time we went to bed-early, late, the phone would always ring about a half hour later. One time we were watching t.v. and I suggested to my (ex) husband that we turn off the lights. We did and sure enough, about a half hour later the phone rang. It was pretty scary because it seemed like someone was watching the apartment. We changed our # and the phone calls stopped.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 05/22/07 at 10:43 am

get out of the phone! the calls are coming from inside the phone!

That movie scared the crap out of me when I was young. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/22/07 at 12:40 pm

A long time ago, the phone would always ring about a half hour after we went to bed. The person on the other end wouldn't say anything. It didn't matter what time we went to bed-early, late, the phone would always ring about a half hour later. One time we were watching t.v. and I suggested to my (ex) husband that we turn off the lights. We did and sure enough, about a half hour later the phone rang. It was pretty scary because it seemed like someone was watching the apartment. We changed our # and the phone calls stopped.

Cat

oh wow...that is super freaky! :o

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/07 at 7:30 pm

I got the call from the 000-000-0000 number again today at the same exact time that it called yesterday.  I was not home when it called, but the message on my machine was the long distance scam.  The phone rang, and a woman answered, said hello twice, then hung up. 

Since my machine answered it, I'll probably still see a long distance charge on my phone bill >:(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/24/07 at 11:52 am

I can explain this one! I had this happen to me for a while and it freaked me out so I called the phone company. It turned out to be a fax machine! Someone had accidentally typed in my phone number and it had dutifully been trying to deliver a message everyday. Quite a relief really, they contacted the company who owned the fax machine and the calls stopped.

We have called I.D so I never answer unless I recognise the number I let the answer machine screen the calls as call centres etc aren't allowed to leave messages.

I havent had it where the fax rang at the same time each day - but i did come home one day to find nearly 200 messages on my answering machine and it was a fax machine on redial. It drove me nuts because the only way to actually delete them was the play each one and hit delete at the end !

With Call Centres - most of them use dialler technology and it actually hangs up automatically if an answering machine answers - so if you are listening to your message while screening calls and you hear an immediate hang up - its most likely a dialler machine in a call centre.

Cat

Far out Cat - that must have been really scarey.

Written By: nally on 05/24/07 at 11:58 am

I've only used star 69 a couple times...and the first time I got an annoying recording that said my call couldn't be completed. ::) The second time, I forget what happened.

Written By: nally on 07/28/08 at 10:31 pm

So my phone just rang, and according to my caller ID, the phone number was 000-000-0000.  I didn't answer it cause there's no telling what or who it could have been.  After googling the number, all kinds of forums came up where others tell how they have gotten calls and text messages from this same number, and several cases have been telemarketers, wrong numbers, scam artists, or people text messaging swear words and death threats to your cellphone.  Some of these folks say they've gotten calls from that number more than once, some several times a day

I don't know what to make of this, but it's all very creepy.  I hope I don't get a call from this number again :o

That's obviously a bogus number anyway, because two of its digits violate the rules for standard phone #s in the U.S. and Canada...and anywhere that uses three-digit area codes and seven-digit phone #'s.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/28/08 at 11:01 pm

So my phone just rang, and according to my caller ID, the phone number was 000-000-0000. 

Caller-ID has always been a crap method of identification.  It's trivially spoofed by anyone with something as simple as Asterisk and a VOIP connection.

Most of the time, it's spoofed by telemarketers looking to get around the do-not-call list.  They spew their crap into your phone, you "report" the bogus number to your phone company, and your phone company either winds up on a wild goose chase, or (more likely, given the ease with which caller-ID is forged and the amount that phone companies care about their customers) ignores the complaint entirely.

ANI (Automatic Number Identification) is another story, but unless you own a 1-800 or other toll-free number, there are no civilian-accessible means by which ANI information (which is not the same as CLID - CNNotaLler-ID data) can be accessed.

The fact that whoever's spoofing CLID packets to your phone is making death threats indicates it's not a telemarketer, but some idiot who thinks he's untraceable.  He's not untraceable, he's just not traceable by you, but he's probably left some footprints in places he shouldn't.  Nothing anyone does on the telephone network is truly anonymous.  Even a VOIP connection established at a public library or Starbucks coffee shop isn't anonymous -- the IP address of the public WiFi shop gives the general geographical vicinity of the perpetrator, and (in the case of stalkers) deductive reasoning and other TCP/IP logs, and (in the case of criminals) security camera videotape nails down the perp's identity.

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/08 at 12:32 am

You want freaky?  Get this ...

So I haven't gotten calls from 000-000-0000 in a while, but a few times in the last month, I got calls from another weird number, so one day, the phone rings.  I go over, and my call display shows the number 333-444-5555.  Because I was feeling stupid, and a little curious, I picked up the phone and said "Hello".  What did I then hear?  My voice saying "Hello".  On the other end of the line was a recorder recording my voice, and playing it back to me.  Think that was scary?  You ain't heard the climax ...

So I figured since I already picked up the call, I may as well milk it for all it's worth, so I mumbled a bunch of lengthy jargon into the phone (atleast a good 5 seconds worth), and not even a millisecond after I had finished talking, it started to repeat back to me in my same voice what I had just said.  I was so scared, I hung up the phone, and the moment I did, it rang back with that same number, so I got my coat and left my apartment.  When I came back, my call history showed that number only called back just that one time.  It has not called since

Where's Robert Stack when you need him?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/08 at 1:44 am

There several cold callers that keep phoning me, the phones rings and just hang up, may be it is because the answer machine kicks in. Sometimes still the whole message is left on the, sometimes recorded, but the real callers I love to hear, for I know I have wasted their time.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/08 at 7:46 am

So I haven't gotten calls from 000-000-0000 in a while, but a few times in the last month, I got calls from another weird number, so one day, the phone rings.  I go over, and my call display shows the number 333-444-5555.  Because I was feeling stupid, and a little curious, I picked up the phone and said "Hello".  What did I then hear?  My voice saying "Hello".  On the other end of the line was a recorder recording my voice, and playing it back to me.  Think that was scary?  You ain't heard the climax ...

So I figured since I already picked up the call, I may as well milk it for all it's worth, so I mumbled a bunch of lengthy jargon into the phone (atleast a good 5 seconds worth), and not even a millisecond after I had finished talking, it started to repeat back to me in my same voice what I had just said.  I was so scared, I hung up the phone, and the moment I did, it rang back with that same number, so I got my coat and left my apartment.  When I came back, my call history showed that number only called back just that one time.  It has not called since

Wow,that was weird. :o

Written By: Jessica on 07/29/08 at 10:05 am

Go here:

http://800notes.com/

It is a website where you can type in the freaky numbers that call on your phone.  If there is a match, you'll usually see a bunch of notes from different people who have experienced it.  If not, you can fill out the form, explain what happened, and then it will be on reference for other people in case they get a call from that number.

I had a call from some number in Colorado, but it wasn't anyone that I was expecting to call.  I went to 800notes, typed in the number, and like 50 other people had gotten a call from them on the SAME day.  Turns out it was some sort of long distance scam.

Check for new replies or respond here...