inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PINBALL!

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 9:55 am

I love pinball. I will play if the machine is around.  I love White Shark, The Addams Family and the classic Kings and Queens.  There is one place near my home that is host to severl great games (one with an amusement park that i think is great- forgot the name)

I won a tiny competition at a bar about ten years ago.  I have never tried to do more, but right now I could just go for a night of beer and pinball.

Any other lovers of the game?

Subject: Re: PINBALL!

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/23/07 at 9:57 am

I love pinball. I will play if the machine is around.  I love White Shark, The Addams Family and the classic Kings and Queens.  There is one place near my home that is host to severl great games (one with an amusement park that i think is great- forgot the name)

I won a tiny competition at a bar about ten years ago.  I have never tried to do more, but right now I could just go for a night of beer and pinball.

It pisses me off, but its fun.

I'll go for the beer though.    ;D

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 9:59 am

It pisses me off, but its fun.

I'll go for the beer though.    ;D

I feel your frustration.

especially w;hen people are watching you and you HAVE to win and YOU  can't TILT.

I think shaking the machine is cheating anyway. 

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/23/07 at 10:02 am

I feel your frustration.

especially w;hen people are watching you and you HAVE to win and YOU  can't TILT.

I think shaking the machine is cheating anyway. 

Yes.  And I hate when I know damn well I hit the button to hit the ball, but it goes cleanly through both prongs (whatever they are called, im not a pinball jargon wiz).

So, I stick to beer and watch the girls shake the machine.  LoL.

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 10:36 am

Yes.  And I hate when I know damn well I hit the button to hit the ball, but it goes cleanly through both prongs (whatever they are called, im not a pinball jargon wiz).

So, I stick to beer and watch the girls shake the machine.  LoL.

that's the worst. it's good to waste a few quarters on checking out the ball release and controlling the trajectory.
I don't konw my jargon either.
but i think i'm headed for a beer later.

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/07 at 10:42 am

Pinball always gets me so pissed off.  I pop in 50c to play, and I lose all three balls in less than a minute ;D

Whenever I'd hit the arcade, I'd often see people playing the Pinball games and they had super high scores.  I was always amazed

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 10:44 am

Pinball always gets me so pissed off.  I pop in 50c to play, and I lose all three balls in less than a minute ;D

Whenever I'd hit the arcade, I'd often see people playing the Pinball games and they had super high scores.  I was always amazed

it's like bowling. you get better with beer.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/23/07 at 10:56 am

it's like bowling. you get better with beer.

Well, I dont know if its getting better, but I can think im having a good time while drinking beer.

Written By: karen on 05/23/07 at 11:09 am

There used to be a good pinball machine in the students union.  If you put a 2p coin in the right slot it thought you'd paid 50p and gave you three plays!  On holiday it's one of the few games I would play in the arcade.  That and Defender!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/07 at 11:18 am

I have not played Pinball for a long time now.

I think there is a Pinball game in The Arcade.

Written By: karen on 05/23/07 at 11:26 am

I haven't checked out the one here.  I tried playing pinball on a computer in a research lab I used to visit.  The problem was the 'board' was taller than could be displayed on the screen so sometimes you didn't know you needed to operate the flipper because the ball had rolled out of view and you had to waiti for the screen to catch up with the action.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/23/07 at 12:28 pm

There used to be one at a local skating rink called "The Black Knight" that we loved to play.  I still have trouble passing a pinball machine without at least 1 play.  Most of them around here now are $1-$1.50 :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/07 at 1:52 pm

I LOVE pinball and dropped lots of quarters into many machines over the years. But I'm afraid it is started to get obsolete. Most arcades using have video game and rarely have the old-fashion pinball machines. We do have it on the computer but rarely play it. It just isn't the same as playing it on a REAL machine.

There used to be one at a local skating rink called "The Black Knight" that we loved to play.  I still have trouble passing a pinball machine without at least 1 play.  Most of them around here now are $1-$1.50 :o

I've played the Black Knight. Cool game. That is the problem with pinball today-it is so expensive. I remember when it was a quarter and you had 5 balls. Now, it over $50 and you only have 3 balls.  >:( >:( >:(

When I was in high school, there was a place I hung out at which had several machines. I think one was broke because I think I managed to get 12 games on 1 quarter.  :o :o  There was another that had a little loop. The ball got stuck on the loop and the person playing shook the machine just slightly to unstick the ball. Instead of unsticking it, the points started adding up. So he stood there just shaking the machine slightly until he had several free games on it.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/23/07 at 1:57 pm

I suck at pinball...but you know a game i'm really good at?

I don't know the name in english,back home we call it pebolim :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/07 at 2:03 pm

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h277/pips24s/450px-TotC3B3.jpg

Foosball.

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/23/07 at 2:12 pm

Foosball.

Cat

Ah,thank you Cat,that makes sense ;D
I love playing foosball then!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/23/07 at 2:21 pm

Pinball is super cool. My uncle has a pinball machine in his gameroom...it's a cool one...it has a tornado on it...and whenever you make a certain play..this little fan kicks up and makes a tornado breeze. ;D

Written By: Henk on 05/23/07 at 2:23 pm

Oh yeah! :D Although I haven't played it in years...You just don't see 'em as much as you used to. :-\\

I don't mind playing a video version of the game, though. There's the "Space Cadet" that came with my computer...

...and then there's Rollinx Pinball. Guess who holds the top score...? ::)

Pinball is super cool. My uncle has a pinball machine in his gameroom...it's a cool one...it has a tornado on it...and whenever you make a certain play..this little fan kicks up and makes a tornado breeze. ;D

I'd love to have one at hand, but I don't think it'll ever happen. Too noisy.

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/07 at 2:48 pm

...and then there's Rollinx Pinball. Guess who holds the top score...? ::)

I'm gonna try and knock your score off ;D

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 8:21 pm

I'm gonna try and knock your score off ;D

I can't do it at all online. gotta be the real thing.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/23/07 at 8:26 pm

I adore pinball!  I play every chance I get.  It sucks when the machine isn't leveled properly though 'cause the grade of the machine is really why you can make all those awesome shots, ya know?

I'm gonna drag my butt to the next Professional Amateur Pinball Association World Pinball Championships http://www.papa.org/.  I was in the event 4 years ago and had a good time.  I sucked (naturally) but doesn't matter.  It's held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania every year so it's not *too* much of a hassle to get there.

With only one manufacturer still making new pinball machines, Stern Pinball, http://www.sternpinball.com/, I'm afraid the pleasant heyday of pinball has passed.  :\'(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/23/07 at 8:27 pm

I can't do it at all online. gotta be the real thing.

Yeah me too!  :)

Written By: Apricot on 05/23/07 at 8:45 pm

There was this pinball machine I used to LOVE.. I only knew of 2 of them in Delaware, and I considered that pinball machine a highlight of my vacations. I forget the name now, though...

Written By: La Roche on 05/23/07 at 9:23 pm

I've just never understood it.. or other games like that. Why would I want to put money in a machine.. when I could use that money to buy beer to put inside me... All very confusing.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/23/07 at 10:53 pm

I'm an old pinball fanatic from way back!

I once tried getting on the US Pinball Olympic team; I missed by 150 pts.

I have played so many pinball games that it's not even funny!

-Of course, I have a few favorites:

-Black Knight 2000 (my favorite band did the music/singing on it)
-Doctor Who (yes, there is one out there)
-Swords Of Fury
-PinBot (That was a fun one!)
-Goldball (An older one, but tough as all get-out)
-Hercules (The thing was HUGE- had an 8-Ball for a pinball!)

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 11:05 pm

I'm an old pinball fanatic from way back!

I once tried getting on the US Pinball Olympic team; I missed by 150 pts.

I have played so many pinball games that it's not even funny!

-Doctor Who (yes, there is one out there)
-Swords Of Fury
-PinBot (That was a fun one!)
-Goldball (An older one, but tough as all get-out)
-Hercules (The thing was HUGE- had an 8-Ball for a pinball!)

yeah, I've played that Dr Who machine.  Great that love the game.
I wanted to get one for my house all my life...but i'd never leave.  enough that I posted here all day! ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/24/07 at 12:03 am

No visit to Vegas is complete without a swing by the Pinball Museum.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/24/07 at 1:47 am

one of the sweetest sounds you'll ever hear is that loud KNOCK sound when you get a replay on an old machine.  I remember back in the early 70's, at Mal's pool Hall, Mal would let us young hoods come in and play 9ball and he had pinball machines and would let us 15 year olds smoke and the machine was .10 for one game or 3 for .25cents   love old pinball, the new ones not so much.

No visit to Vegas is complete without a swing by the Pinball Museum.
I need to find this place, wow, are the games just for viewing or do they allow play?

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/24/07 at 3:23 am

(( pinball museum / vegas ))

I need to find this place, wow, are the games just for viewing or do they allow play?

For play!

Most pinball museums are done as labors of love for the game and operate on a breakeven basis; the one in Vegas is much the same, except it's bigger!  Google around for pinball-related events in your area.  There's probably something available within a day's drive of anywhere in America. 

Coin-op machine collectors will sometimes get together, rent a hall, and set up a coinless arcade for the weekend.  Northern California's Pin-a-go-go is one example (but it was last weekend, and you missed it!), as is California Extreme, which also adds a few hundred video games in addition to a few hundred pinballs. 

Written By: karen on 05/24/07 at 3:32 am

table football.  this is another game I used to play on holiday.  Also air hockey.

Written By: KKay on 05/24/07 at 7:11 am

laundry ball?

I love air hockey; foosball is great too.  I miss old arcades.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/24/07 at 9:04 am

I think I've seen this one.....I liked the old one better 8)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/24/07 at 4:38 pm

Patty mentioned Stearns, as the only pinball manufacturer that she knew of.

Another company that made a lot of them was Williams.
They also had a short monopoly on video games, as well.
-The main ones I remember were Defender, Stargate, and Robotron 2083.

Check for new replies or respond here...