inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is EMO?

Written By: audkal on 05/29/07 at 2:12 pm

Forgive me if this is a dumb question. ;)

I've been hearing the term "EMO" for quite some time but still don't know what the heck it means. ;D  Please tell me!

Subject: Re: What is EMO?

Written By: jackas on 05/29/07 at 2:18 pm

I think most of the time it is refered to as a style, so....  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28slang%29

or music...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

Written By: Apricot on 05/29/07 at 2:41 pm

I generally define it as a fashion movement, extremely aware of itself.. if you're EMO, there's a good chance you're very deliberate about it.

EMO is essentially a cross between extremely diluted Goth and extremely diluted punk. The fashion is readily recognizeable, most noticeable by the goddamn androgyny of everyone involved.. everyone's pants are too small and I'm fairly sure it's actually all chicks, but I've been told otherwise. For some reason, a lot of heterosexual teenage females are attracted to this. I do not understand it.

The attitude isn't as depressing as most people blow it up to be.. most of them are just pricks. Like, not sad pricks.. just mildly pissed all the time. Or just irritating.. like, really random and really aware of their EMO-status to the point they never shut up about it.

Don't confuse it with "scene", which is similar fashion-wise, but there's a lot more influence of hardcore punk on scene music, where EMO derives more musical influence from stereotypical Indie Rock (The Shins and Bright Eyes are the two godheads of EMO music)

Written By: Howard on 05/29/07 at 3:41 pm

Does Emo Phillips sing Emo? ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/07 at 4:42 pm

Emo is slang for crappy music ;D

Everytime I see Emo kids loitering around the malls, I swear, I just wanna rip those big black things out of their earlobe lol

Written By: La Roche on 05/29/07 at 4:46 pm

Me and Steve went to the mall a few weeks ago.. and came to the conclusion that all kids today are a-sexual. They all have the same haircut, all wear the same cut tight jeans (if some of them have balls, they wont for long), all seem to wear makeup.

Now.

I can deal with a certain amount of androgyny.. my clothing choices often seem very gay, which I'm fine with, it's comfort I'm after, not style. That being said.

If my son or daughter left the house and I couldn't tell what gender they were.. even by paying close attention.. there'd be words.. and actions.  ;D

Written By: jackas on 05/29/07 at 6:38 pm

Me and Steve went to the mall a few weeks ago.. and came to the conclusion that all kids today are a-sexual. They all have the same haircut, all wear the same cut tight jeans (if some of them have balls, they wont for long), all seem to wear makeup.

Now.

I can deal with a certain amount of androgyny.. my clothing choices often seem very gay, which I'm fine with, it's comfort I'm after, not style. That being said.

If my son or daughter left the house and I couldn't tell what gender they were.. even by paying close attention.. there'd be words.. and actions.  ;D

LOL  Yes, I do feel sorry for the parents of any male children who dress this way.  Then....back in the 80's, men dressed similarly faggy and I didn't think anything of it then.  But yes, these feminine men make me sick. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/07 at 7:05 pm

I foudn this pic and it made me laugh ...

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9307/emokidsdf6.png

Written By: jackas on 05/29/07 at 7:07 pm

I foudn this pic and it made me laugh ...

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9307/emokidsdf6.png

Good ole Mr Roper! ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/29/07 at 7:16 pm

If we're talking about music, I always considered it a whiny variation of pop/punk mixed with some of the effeminate look and feel of '80s new wave and maybe even goth (most of the guys in these bands are almost trying to sound like girls, lol). Like All American Rejects and Fallout Boy, although it probably had its roots in the late '90s with that period's Blink 182 and stuff.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/29/07 at 7:25 pm

This was posted somewhere on the board before, I'm to lazy to look for it so I'll re-post it.
this is Tickle Me Emo. This was from Mad TV, Elmo goes emo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRNYG_xM2U&mode=related&search=

Written By: La Roche on 05/29/07 at 9:28 pm

LOL  Yes, I do feel sorry for the parents of any male children who dress this way.  Then....back in the 80's, men dressed similarly faggy and I didn't think anything of it then.  But yes, these feminine men make me sick. ;D

It's not even dressing faggy.

It's.. totally and utterly.. looking.. like.. gender unknown. I don't get it. Then again.. I dislike kids, all of them with their misguided ideals.. and health.. and knees that don't go *pop*... and lack of child support payments.

Written By: audkal on 05/29/07 at 11:18 pm

LOL, thanks everyone, I think I get the idea.  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/07 at 11:21 pm

It's the emotional equivalent of some Sisters of Mercy fan screaming "I'm so Goth I sh*cough*it bats!"

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/29/07 at 11:23 pm

Eeeeeemo music is a melodic form of punk. It has been de-evolved into a fashion scene that has nothing to do with the music.

Written By: La Roche on 05/29/07 at 11:23 pm

It's the emotional equivalent of some Sisters of Mercy fan screaming "I'm so Goth I sh*cough*it bats!"

;D

Seems to me.. it's all about adopting a look at me persona without actually having to have a personality.
Think about it - As one of these emo kids, they have the 'look at me' going on from both sides. The other emoids will want to compare who un-gender specific they are, and those of us with a shred of individuality will look and think "Jeez.. what the hell?"

Written By: woops on 05/30/07 at 1:26 am

Emo (psuedo punk/goth)  is like hair metal, though worse..  :P

Written By: Howard on 05/30/07 at 6:37 am

This was posted somewhere on the board before, I'm to lazy to look for it so I'll re-post it.

;D Good One.

Written By: Southern Image on 05/30/07 at 9:33 am

I thought it was Emotional Male in Overdrive?  :D

I took EMO as being a form of New Wave, Punk, etc. with a lot of emotional breakdowns thrown in there.  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 05/30/07 at 4:01 pm

The self-mutilation jokes with these kids gets really old..

Check for new replies or respond here...