inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lionel Ritchie huge in Iraq (really!)

Written By: KKay on 06/04/07 at 1:46 pm

I just read four the fifth time how funk and smooth rock icon Lionel Ritchie is a beloved music idol in Iraq.  No, not by the US soldiers and peacekeepers, but by those that call it home.

It always amazed me as I travelled who was famous in that country and not in the US (the west).  I was confused and confounded when, at a karaoke club with friends in Japan, asked to sing Suzi Quatro songs.  I know none!  I knew vaguely that she had a few hits in the UK (is that right?) but she was HUGE there.  So was Mister Mister!

I'm intrigued.  Comments?

here is a brief ritchie story.

Soul star LIONEL RICHIE has discovered he's still the most beloved star in the Middle East - from US soldiers fighting in Iraq. The troops have stunned the HELLO singer with reports he's the one western pop star Iraqis love - they play his ALL NIGHT LONG hit as a celebration anthem. The delighted star says, "I remember soldiers telling me during the fall of Baghdad that they played All Night Long in the streets as a celebration song. "Two things in life should never surprise you - what your kids end up doing and where your songs end up going."

Subject: Re: Lionel Ritchie huge in Iraq (really!)

Written By: Paul on 06/04/07 at 1:57 pm

It always amazed me as I travelled who was famous in that country and not in the US (the west).  I was confused and confounded when, at a karaoke club with friends in Japan, asked to sing Suzi Quatro songs.  I know none!  I knew vaguely that she had a few hits in the UK (is that right?) but she was HUGE there.  So was Mister Mister!

Yes, Suzi had quite an impressive run of hits here in the 70s (including two #1's) and she still appears on British radio from time to time...

Speaking of 'big in Japan', any ideas who ended up being the all-time biggest American band there?

Well, it was 60s guitar group The Ventures, of all people!

And it must be something in the Sake over there, as Daniel Boone's uber-corny 'Beautiful Sunday' stayed at the top of the Japanese charts for no less than 16 weeks!  :o

Written By: KKay on 06/04/07 at 2:01 pm

Yes, Suzi had quite an impressive run of hits here in the 70s (including two #1's) and she still appears on British radio from time to time...

Speaking of 'big in Japan', any ideas who ended up being the all-time biggest American band there?

And it must be something in the Sake over there, as Daniel Boone's uber-corny 'Beautiful Sunday' stayed at the top of the Japanese charts for no less than 16 weeks!  :o

so how is it that i lived there and never got my 15 minutes?! ;D

Written By: Paul on 06/04/07 at 2:05 pm

so how is it that i lived there and never got my 15 minutes?! ;D

You should have dressed up in biker's leathers like Suzi did!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/04/07 at 2:06 pm

I guess the 'Hawaii Five-O' theme must be pretty popular up there!  :D

I also know (from my Japanese sister-in-law and another Japanese friend) that The Carpenters were huge in that country!  :)

Now, that surprises me!  :o

Written By: Howard on 06/04/07 at 2:15 pm

Hello,Is It weapons you're looking for?  ;D

Written By: KKay on 06/04/07 at 2:19 pm

funniest thing howard ever said.!

Written By: Howard on 06/04/07 at 2:27 pm

funniest thing howard ever said.!

Thanks Belle,I took a line from "Hello".  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/07 at 3:15 pm

One thing that amazes me is how the success of some artists and/or songs vary in different countries, such as Suzi Quatro, who is American, but only had 1 Top 40 hit in America.  Some more examples ...

- The Fixx had no Top 40 hits in their native UK
- Wang Chung had only 1 Top 40 hit in their native UK with 'Dance Hall Days'
- In 1981, international collaborative duo Jon and Vangelis had a 5 week run at #1 in Canada with the song 'The Friends of Mr. Cairo'
- In 1982, British pop group 10cc had a surprise Top 40 hit in Canada with 'Don't Turn Me Away'
- 70s disco giants Boney M had only 1 Top 40 hit in America with 'Rivers of Babylon'

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/04/07 at 3:18 pm

One thing that amazes me is how the success of some artists and/or songs vary in different countries, such as Suzi Quatro, who is American, but only had 1 Top 40 hit in America.  Some more examples ...

- The Fixx had no Top 40 hits in their native UK

That really surprises me, as they're a talented group who had some really good songs!  :-\\

Written By: KKay on 06/04/07 at 3:48 pm

That really surprises me, as they're a talented group who had some really good songs!  :-\\

I love all their songs...none of my friends seems to know them!

Written By: gemini on 06/04/07 at 7:26 pm

Hey, Howard made a funny!  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 06/04/07 at 7:29 pm

When I was in Estonia, I found it hilarious, it was like a time warp. Apart from there being no radio most of the time (I think there was a mass-culling of DJ's) but New music there was Phil Collins, Duran Duran and more than anybody Huey Lewis!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/04/07 at 8:43 pm

hahaahah!!! :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/07 at 8:47 pm

He's one of my favorite artists, and I remember listening to the Can't Slow Down cassette when I was 2 or 3 years old, so that's cool in a personal way almost, lol.

I've heard the same thing too on a VH1 special which included some of his songs, that people literally partied in the streets to "All Night Long" when Saddam lost power. I believe they're technologically more in the '80s there anyway, I know cassettes are still big in African countries.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/07 at 4:53 pm

Hey, Howard made a funny!  ;D

Thanks Gemini. :)

Written By: ralfy on 08/16/16 at 12:02 pm

"Celebrate the Anniversary of Lionel Richie’s ‘Dancing on the Ceiling’ With These ’80s Movie Dance Sequences"

http://time.com/4439098/celebrate-the-anniversary-of-lionel-richies-dancing-on-the-ceiling-with-these-80s-movie-dance-sequences/

Check for new replies or respond here...