inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I could use some primal scream therapy right about now...

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/07/07 at 10:03 pm

I was unhappy with the company that runs the web servers and considering a switch, but last night was the final straw.  I took half a day from work today to try and straighten out the sites, and they're still a mess (I can't even reach inthe70s, but I see others can).  I just broke down and ordered a much more expensive server with a different company.  I'm going to try and move everything onto it in the next couple weeks (including inthe00s).

worst server company, ever!

Subject: Re: I could use some primal scream therapy right about now...

Written By: Step-chan on 06/07/07 at 10:35 pm

I know that feeling(especially at this time in my life).

Written By: Gis on 06/08/07 at 1:18 am

Sounds like what we are going through at work at the moment. I swear you should be able to sue the pants off these companies that make all these great promises to lure you in and then..............nothing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/07 at 1:22 am

Sorry to hear about the pain you are going through.

Does this mean another change-over shutdown very soon?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/08/07 at 1:44 am

I was unhappy with the company that runs the web servers and considering a switch, but last night was the final straw.  I took half a day from work today to try and straighten out the sites, and they're still a mess (I can't even reach inthe70s, but I see others can).  I just broke down and ordered a much more expensive server with a different company.  I'm going to try and move everything onto it in the next couple weeks (including inthe00s).

worst server company, ever!
what a drag.  I hoe you get things sorted out and set up the way you desire Chucky. It must have been severe if you had to take time off. best of luck to ya and thanks for all you do for us here.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/08/07 at 3:56 am

Your "Primal Scream" therapy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8xhbNQw4g

;)

I hope this company is better than the previous ones.  :)

Maybe your third parody is in order: "Bad Company" (or "Bad ISP") to Bad Company's "Bad Company" (off the self-titled album...)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/08/07 at 10:21 am

No one's even heard of the current guys but me, so I know I made a bad choice when I picked them.  The new one, several people on the webmaster world forums use, so at least I can be reasonably assured they have a better staff.  The current one was such a weird arrangement anyways. The company is HQ in Australia, the servers are in D.C. in America, and the support guys appear to be all out of India (or they only hire Indians to staff the support lines). 

the new one is out of Cedar Falls, Iowa. Smack dab in the middle of the US, so the response time should be much better.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/07 at 1:52 pm

Sorry to hear about the problems, Chucky (and karma to you).  I am dealing with my own computer problems. I am now attempting to download a slew of programs to the new computer. And with dial-up, it is making everything VERY slow which means I will probably be at this for days.

Cat

Written By: Davester on 06/08/07 at 2:15 pm

Sorry to hear about the problems, Chucky (and karma to you).  I am dealing with my own computer problems. I am now attempting to download a slew of programs to the new computer. And with dial-up, it is making everything VERY slow which means I will probably be at this for days.

Get broadband... :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/07 at 3:06 pm

Get broadband... :P

Unfortunately, that is going to have to wait. We will-eventually. In the meanwhile, I have to be very patient.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/08/07 at 3:08 pm

Sorry to hear about the pain you are going through.

Does this mean another change-over shutdown very soon?

God I hope not. :(

Written By: Step-chan on 06/08/07 at 3:37 pm

No one's even heard of the current guys but me, so I know I made a bad choice when I picked them.  The new one, several people on the webmaster world forums use, so at least I can be reasonably assured they have a better staff.  The current one was such a weird arrangement anyways. The company is HQ in Australia, the servers are in D.C. in America, and the support guys appear to be all out of India (or they only hire Indians to staff the support lines). 

the new one is out of Cedar Falls, Iowa. Smack dab in the middle of the US, so the response time should be much better.

Reminds me of my AT&T's internet services... They have support people from India.

I would like to switch to something better.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/07 at 3:48 pm

Reminds me of my AT&T's internet services... They have support people from India.

I would like to switch to something better.

I feel a bit guilty about this Dell that I just bought. It was made in China and the support staff is from India.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/07 at 3:50 pm

Will this scream help?

Scream

Written By: Step-chan on 06/08/07 at 5:20 pm

I feel a bit guilty about this Dell that I just bought. It was made in China and the support staff is from India.  :-\\

Cat

Considering what the oil companies are getting away with, you shouldn't.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/08/07 at 10:16 pm

less than 24 hours after ordering it, the new server is up!  I just have to move everything over, and people will need to wait for their ISP to recognize the new address.  Until then, the sites are visible, but none of the forms will work.

Once I get the regular websites up and running, I'll focus on moving the messageboard.  Might mean a day or two of downtime for that too though.  Nothing nearly as bad as the decade sites and amiright though.

Written By: whistledog on 06/09/07 at 12:50 am

2 days without the boards?  That will give me time to finish watching my CHiPs DVD LOL

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/09/07 at 4:34 pm

2 days without the boards?  That will give me time to finish watching my CHiPs DVD LOL

Considering how quickly the sites changed over for amiright and inthe80s, I bet it'll be more like 8 hours. 

I am much happier with the performance of the server already.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/07 at 4:36 pm

Considering how quickly the sites changed over for amiright and inthe80s, I bet it'll be more like 8 hours. 

I am much happier with the performance of the server already.
Of course you will be giving us advance notice.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/09/07 at 7:31 pm

Of course you will be giving us advance notice.

if all goes well it will be either Friday night or Saturday morning (New York time).  That should cause the least amount of disruption.  Sunday would be even better, but I'm taking Susan to see Stevie Nicks and Chris Issaak on that day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/07 at 12:19 am

if all goes well it will be either Friday night or Saturday morning (New York time).  That should cause the least amount of disruption.  Sunday would be even better, but I'm taking Susan to see Stevie Nicks and Chris Issaak on that day.
Sounds like a great concert.

So when I wake up on Saturday morning, I will see nothing?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/07 at 6:59 am

Sounds like a great concert.

So when I wake up on Saturday morning, I will see nothing?

depending on how quick things move,  you'll probably see the board, but it will be in maintenance mode.  The old server (the current one) will be put into maintenance mode and the new one will not.  So when your ISP sees the new address change, you'll start seeing the new server and won't see the "maintenance mode" message any more.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/07 at 2:08 pm

Absolutely.  If I am on the West Coast, moving the server to Cedar Falls (versus Washington DC)  means that it is about 900 miles closer to me.  Figuring the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, I should see about 1/200th of a second better response time.

(Of course if I live in DC, well, I am SOL.)

;) ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/10/07 at 3:53 pm

depending on how quick things move,  you'll probably see the board, but it will be in maintenance mode.  The old server (the current one) will be put into maintenance mode and the new one will not.  So when your ISP sees the new address change, you'll start seeing the new server and won't see the "maintenance mode" message any more.

When would this change occur? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/11/07 at 1:09 pm

When would this change occur? ???

Saturday...

Check for new replies or respond here...