inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rules of the Playground

Written By: La Roche on 06/14/07 at 6:14 pm

Just thought of this on a different thread.

What were the rules in your playground as kids, what bizarre games did you come up with - I don't mean tag or variations thereof, I mean bizarre games you actually came up with.

As hardened ruffians who's parents had all been laid off by Thatcher we used to concentrate more on violent games - Everybody (well, all the boys, and we figured we were the only ones who counted) had to line up with one person facing the line. Then you could either kick the guy at the front of the line in the shins or punch him as long as it wasn't in the face. The idea was that if you took this abuse, you could then join the back of the line and get revenge on the boys who did it to you, if you cried or shouted out, you missed your turn. In retrospect, this was pretty good preparation for the business world.

Of course, the usual rules applied, you never EVER grassed up your mates, NEVER! If you were a grass then it was accepted that every other boy in the class would beat you up.

There was SNOT PIT! Which basically entailed pushing Chris Johnson on the floor and snotting on him whilst kicking him.

One that I thought we invented, but it turns out every other boy in the land also played was Pikey Pile (of course, it went by other names involving people who are stereotypically money motivated  ;)) Everyone would gather around in a big circle and throw things in to the middle. Change, football cards, dead animals (for instance, a chicken foot was always a valued prize), baseball caps occasionally, candy and other such valuable things. Once the pile reached a point where one individual decided it was worth the risk, he would dive in to the middle and try and grab as much stuff as possible.. of course.. the result was that the circle would then close and begin to kick the individual on the ground, it generally descended in to violent chaos with all the boys trying to grab what they could whilst the more sadistic members of the crowd would be quite content to kick the s**t out of anybody on the ground.  ;D

I can think of plenty more, but please share.

Subject: Re: Rules of the Playground

Written By: Apricot on 06/14/07 at 6:56 pm

Shoot, I used to just dick around on various equipment.. we never had games like this. ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 06/14/07 at 7:18 pm

The only bizarre thing we did was play Rollerball. Right after Rollerball came out, the original with James Caan,
we set up a course around the playground. For the goals, boxes were strapped to the fence and we used
we used a Bocce ball. We had kids on rollerskates and three bicycles per team. The only purpose of the kids
on bikes was to kick the kids on skates and try to make them fall. The opposing skaters would also try a trip
the other skaters or knock the bikers over. For some reason, whenever we played rollerball the game would
end with a fistfight.  ::)

Oh yeah, we also played tackle football on concrete.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 06/14/07 at 8:48 pm

The only bizarre thing we did was play Rollerball. Right after Rollerball came out, the original with James Caan,
we set up a course around the playground. For the goals, boxes were strapped to the fence and we used
we used a Bocce ball. We had kids on rollerskates and three bicycles per team. The only purpose of the kids
on bikes was to kick the kids on skates and try to make them fall. The opposing skaters would also try a trip
the other skaters or knock the bikers over. For some reason, whenever we played rollerball the game would

Oh yeah, we also played tackle football on concrete.  ;D

Yeah, this sounds like fun!

All games end in a fistfight, you didn't know that. It's basically the ultimate decider for any game.

Another great game we had was to try and stay out in the playground longer than we should. Basically, we'd spend the entire breaktime/lunchtime finding excellent hiding places, fortifying said hiding places and then digging down under a load of leaves, branches, fence panels etc so the teachers couldn't find us. I have to add, this was when we were about 9 or 10 and the idea of just leaving school grounds was just unheard of until the infamous Zagrefski incident when Rob decided to walk home! SHOCK HORROR!

Written By: whistledog on 06/14/07 at 9:04 pm

This sounds cool!

Davey is right.  All games do end in fist fights ;D

Written By: La Roche on 06/14/07 at 9:09 pm

This sounds cool!

Davey is right.  All games do end in fist fights ;D

I remember when I first moved to the U.S and went and played Ice Hockey.. it was hilarious, I sucked, but I pretty much spent the whole of my time slamming people and then throwing punches. Of course, they were all pussys.  ;D

When we would play football (soccer) usually with just jumpers for goalposts, there'd always be an argument about where the goal actually was, who had scored, what the score was.. this invariably lead to outbursts of violence... which of course, drew everyone else from the playground over to encourage the fighting.. which in turn lead to fights due to people tussling for the best viewing spot.  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 06/14/07 at 9:09 pm

I remember when I first moved to the U.S and went and played Ice Hockey.. it was hilarious, I sucked, but I pretty much spent the whole of my time slamming people and then throwing punches. Of course, they were all pussys.  ;D

Are you implying there's other parts of ice hockey?

Written By: KKay on 06/14/07 at 9:47 pm

we did lots of stuff on rollerscates...derbys and stuff.  we used to have salt rock fights, boys vs. girls.  we were down by the big rock salt pile...if you were knocked off you were out.
rock salt really hurts.
we used to also have reflector tag.  run around the neighborhood at night with a reflector on your shirt and you were tagged if the opponent's flashlight shone on it.

Written By: La Roche on 06/14/07 at 9:59 pm

Are you implying there's other parts of ice hockey?

I wouldn't be so bold.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/14/07 at 11:28 pm

Slaughter.

This was a game we played in Middle School- usually gym class.

Each team had a goal, which was an old tire.
The object was to score as many points in the time played, by putting a heavy medicine ball into a tire.
Now- you could protect the goal however you wanted, except for moving the goal itself.
(Usually I was told to sit in the tire, and beat the %^&! outta anyone who tried to dislodge me.)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/15/07 at 1:07 am

I wouldn't be so bold.

I almost scored once while playing ice hockey.  It was great.  Had a sweet move but I totally whiffed on the shot so instead of a snapshot it was a dribbler right into the goalie's stick.  Darn.

I also accidentally stuck out my knee and sent some dude flying and he tried to kick my ass.  That was awesome too.

We used to wrestle on the playground.  That was also fun until the yard duty ladies made us stop.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/15/07 at 2:07 am

Couple of my friends lived on this half-cul-de-sac, and the three of us had this game where we'd get on our BMX bikes and start out in different driveways. We'd then ride out into the circle and try and throw each other off balance, the object being that if one of your feet touched the ground you were out and the last one standing won. We'd kick and shove and crash into each other trying to knock each other off our bikes.

I never won.  :-[

Written By: karen on 06/15/07 at 3:35 am

Variations on soccer the favourite being Knockout Loughborough.  One person was the goalie, after that it was every man for himself.  You could only score by heading or volleying the ball into the goal.  When you scored five goals you sat out.  Last man standing was the next goalie.

Another game was called Boston Rugby and was based on Rugby League (which is odd looking back because the local team was Rugby Union  :-\\ ).  Most of the rules are a bit hazy now.

Written By: Gis on 06/15/07 at 4:50 am

I do remember getting a hose and running it on the sand and mud in the middle of the big climbing frame until it was a complete mire and then we had to keep walking round and round faster and faster on the top of the frame until someone fell in.

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 11:58 am

Variations on soccer the favourite being Knockout Loughborough.  One person was the goalie, after that it was every man for himself.  You could only score by heading or volleying the ball into the goal.  When you scored five goals you sat out.  Last man standing was the next goalie.

Heads and vols, although we did it on a point system, same basic game. You could also pair up and set each other up.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/15/07 at 12:09 pm

So Davey,you don't want to hear about any of those "show you mine" games,right?

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 12:10 pm

.. what.. what.. what what what!!!

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/15/07 at 12:16 pm

.. what.. what.. what what what!!!

I went to catholic school,violence wasn't encouraged,sex neither, but it's Brazil so...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/15/07 at 12:19 pm

Or, as we called it, "Naked Hospital."

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 12:21 pm

I went to catholic school,violence wasn't encouraged,sex neither, but it's Brazil so...

I'm going back to school!

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/15/07 at 12:25 pm

Or, as we called it, "Naked Hospital."

Where does it hurt?

I'm going back to school!

State colleges in Brazil are really good  8)

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 12:26 pm

Where does it hurt?

State colleges in Brazil are really good  8)

Nah, catholic girls school!

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/15/07 at 12:29 pm

Nah, catholic girls school!

Mine was mixed,it's more fun that way,trust me ;)

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 12:34 pm

Mine was mixed,it's more fun that way,trust me ;)

Not for me.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/07 at 2:41 pm

Duck,Duck goose.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/07 at 2:42 pm

Duck,Duck goose.

I don't even want to know about the goose part ;D :D

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 2:43 pm

Long story short, Howard's not allowed in the zoo no more.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/07 at 3:24 pm

I don't think there were any girls at the time. ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/15/07 at 3:25 pm

Yes I am.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/07 at 3:28 pm

Gee, even the Zoo doesn't want Howard :D

Written By: Step-chan on 06/15/07 at 3:49 pm

Umm.....

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/07 at 3:52 pm

Umm.....

Howard knows I'm only kidding

Written By: spaceace on 06/15/07 at 4:05 pm

Anyone here ever play "kick the can"?  It's kind of like soccer.  On our playground we liked the Aztec ideal of sacrificing the looser to the Gods.  But, we settled for making them do something stupid or embarrassing. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/07 at 4:07 pm

Anyone here ever play "kick the can"?  It's kind of like soccer.  On our playground we liked the Aztec ideal of sacrificing the looser to the Gods.  But, we settled for making them do something stupid or embarrassing. ;D

I used to play kick the can quite often.  Of course when we played it, a fight usually broke out ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 06/15/07 at 5:27 pm

Howard knows I'm only kidding

Actually, I just wanted to say "Umm..."

For no real reason, but I thought the post matched well.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/07 at 6:32 am

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/64/AMPH_zoobileezoo.jpg

Written By: karen on 06/18/07 at 5:11 am

Last time I played kick the can was in the street at about 1.00 a.m.  It was a terraced street and the can rattling around echoed really well up and down it.  We stopped when a big bloke came out of his house to yell at us

Written By: spaceace on 06/18/07 at 8:22 am

Last time I played kick the can was in the street at about 1.00 a.m.  It was a terraced street and the can rattling around echoed really well up and down it.  We stopped when a big bloke came out of his house to yell at us

;D ;D ;D

We used to do it while waiting for the school bus.  Yes, we'd get yelled at sometimes.  it went in one ear and out the other.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/07 at 2:51 pm

There was this game I use to play with kids where the person in front of the line would have to pass a ball to the person in back of them then the person towards the end of the line would end up with the ball then move to the front of the line till the clock stopped.Anyone remember this?  ???

Written By: gemini on 06/18/07 at 5:44 pm

Loved playing kick the can, and flashlight tag. The best though, was in grade school, we'd pretend the monkey bars were jail, and put the boys in there until they kissed us.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/21/07 at 2:26 am

we used to play a basketball game called Butts-Up 21.  Usually play with 3 players, 1 guy with the ball & the other 2 on defense it's basically one-on-one & the if player with the ball scores a basket, then he goes to the free throw line & shoots free throws until he misses. whoever rebounds & gets the ball has the other 2 players defending. You get 2 points for a basket & 1 point for a free throw. first one that gets to 21 wins. the 2 losers have to go underneath the basket & turn their backs to the winner, put their hands on their knees & bend over while the winner goes to the half court line & as the 2 losers are bent over, the player at the half court line gets 2 tries to throw the ball as hard as he can & try to hit the losers in the butt with the ball.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/07 at 7:11 am

Anyone remember the basketball game called Horse? ???

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/07 at 1:37 pm

Anyone remember the basketball game called Horse? ???

.. and it's alternates HORSEFU.CKER, HORSESEX AND HORSEFACE.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 3:52 pm

.. and it's alternates HORSEFU.CKER, HORSESEX AND HORSEFACE.

::) REALLY?!?! ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...