inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Operating System is your computer currently running?

Written By: NbC on 06/29/07 at 3:06 am

Just curious if I am the only one with an ancient desktop.  Mine originally came installed with Windows 98 SE but I have it set up to boot to Windows 2000 Pro also.  My daughter mainly uses that computer but I would like to buy a newer system soon.  Of course, I have been saying that for a while now.  ;)  The computer is so slow I can't really do much on it these days.

I also have a newer mac that runs OSX.  I like the software but it can be limiting at times.

Subject: Re: What Operating System is your computer currently running?

Written By: karen on 06/29/07 at 3:58 am

my work machine (that I use most often) is running Microsoft XP.  At home we have anew computer running Microsoft Vista. 

I think Vista has the potential to be good but because its so new there are still loads of problems.  We can't get the drivers for some of the peripheral devices we have so we've had to keep the old computer running anyway  ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/29/07 at 6:32 am

Windows XP.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/29/07 at 8:57 am

Windows XP

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 9:32 am

Windows XP

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/07 at 10:14 am

Vista.

Cat

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/29/07 at 10:53 am

Problem with vista is its so resource intensive.  I like XP for the most part and dont plan on changing over anytime soon.  I might make my older computer dual bootable and install Linux on it as well. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/29/07 at 11:28 am

Windows XP  :)

Written By: Brian06 on 06/29/07 at 11:29 am

Vista on laptop and XP on desktop.

Written By: Paul on 06/29/07 at 11:48 am

XP (and that's because it only came with the new 'box'...)

I think I heard right that the 98 system will become less and less 'compatible' with new software and hardware pretty soon...

(Probably just as well I got the new 'box', then!)

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 11:50 am

Windows XP.  I'm not gonna bother getting Vista.  XP works fine for me, and it's like they say: 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 12:10 pm

Windows XP
...with electricity.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/29/07 at 4:01 pm

I use Windows XP, but I believe it's a more enhanced version because I bought it through Dell and they added a few things to it.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/29/07 at 4:34 pm

OSX, It's all I really need.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/29/07 at 6:31 pm

Windows XP

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/29/07 at 8:55 pm

Windows XP. I'm not ready for Vista yet.

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 10:39 pm

MmHmm, XP.

I'm going to buy a new computer within the next few months but will probably wait until Vista has proven itself reliable before I do.

Written By: spaceace on 06/29/07 at 11:11 pm

Windows XP

Written By: Tam on 06/29/07 at 11:22 pm

Vista

I like it ok so far.
Its user friendly once you get to know where everything is hiding.

Only thing that sucks about it - if you have illegally downloaded music and you try and put it on your harddrive, vista looks for the licensing for the songs. If the licensing isn't there, it deletes the file...... :-[

Written By: NbC on 06/30/07 at 12:17 am

Vista

I like it ok so far.

Only thing that sucks about it - if you have illegally downloaded music and you try and put it on your harddrive, vista looks for the licensing for the songs. If the licensing isn't there, it deletes the file...... :-[

My brother was having the same trouble with his new Vista Laptop.  He figured that since his laptop is a Sony product that the company itself placed the restriction on his laptop.  Good to know that wasn't the reason. I hated that Vista always prompts for confirmation whenever you did anything different to the computer.  I am sure there is a feature hidden somewhere to disable that annoyance but I didn't bother to find out.

Written By: NbC on 06/30/07 at 12:37 am

XP (and that's because it only came with the new 'box'...)

I think I heard right that the 98 system will become less and less 'compatible' with new software and hardware pretty soon...

(Probably just as well I got the new 'box', then!)

I am sure you are correct with the compatitlbity issues. The only reason I still have 98 running is because I do not have the "official" Windows 2000 CD.  It is my security that if anything happens and I can not log on to 2000 I can always boot to the 98 partition and still be able to access the computer.  I believe the main reason this computer has lasted so long for me is that I upgraded the hardware over the years.  I think I will wait until my daughter finally drains all the life out of it before making a new purchase. 

OSX, It's all I really need.

I am new to mac myself and I love it.  It is such a stable platform.  I am considering purchasing XP Pro so I can have the best of both worlds but that is still up in the air.

Written By: La Roche on 06/30/07 at 12:47 am

... and I'll be loading on my new computer.

With somewhere in the region of 15,000 downloaded tracks, I'd be up the proverbial feces creek without a wooden propellant instrument.

Written By: Tam on 06/30/07 at 1:16 am

My brother was having the same trouble with his new Vista Laptop.  He figured that since his laptop is a Sony product that the company itself placed the restriction on his laptop.  Good to know that wasn't the reason. I hated that Vista always prompts for confirmation whenever you did anything different to the computer.  I am sure there is a feature hidden somewhere to disable that annoyance but I didn't bother to find out.

... and I'll be loading on my new computer.

With somewhere in the region of 15,000 downloaded tracks, I'd be up the proverbial feces creek without a wooden propellant instrument.

I at least got around it though. I have an 80 gig external hard drive. I don't use windows media player, instead I play them through winamp. ;)

Written By: La Roche on 06/30/07 at 1:19 am

I at least got around it though. I have an 80 gig external hard drive. I don't use windows media player, instead I play them through winamp. ;)

Shameful that didn't occur to me.

As I sit here with my external hard drive.. using winamp.  ;D

Written By: Tam on 06/30/07 at 1:28 am

Shameful that didn't occur to me.

As I sit here with my external hard drive.. using winamp.  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Too funny!
I should mention as well that winamp is downloaded and located on the external as well.
Don't want to know what will happen if I put it on the internal..... so not going to try! 8)

Written By: Davester on 07/01/07 at 3:30 am

Just curious if I am the only one with an ancient desktop.  Mine originally came installed with Windows 98 SE but I have it set up to boot to Windows 2000 Pro also.  My daughter mainly uses that computer but I would like to buy a newer system soon.  Of course, I have been saying that for a while now.   ;)  The computer is so slow I can't really do much on it these days.

I also have a newer mac that runs OSX.  I like the software but it can be limiting at times.

I bought this computer seven years ago next month which came with '98 SE.  I ran a bootleg XP for a year or two then purchased a legit upgrade... 

Written By: NbC on 07/01/07 at 5:36 am

I bought this computer seven years ago next month which came with '98 SE.  I ran a bootleg XP for a year or two then purchased a legit upgrade... 

Finally, someone with an older computer.  I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one.  I installed a (downloaded) bootleg copy of XP for a while also but it wasn't reliable.  I guess that is what I get for refusing to pay for the official software.  :D 

Written By: Davester on 07/01/07 at 6:36 am

Finally, someone with an older computer.  I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one.  I installed a (downloaded) bootleg copy of XP for a while also but it wasn't reliable.  I guess that is what I get for refusing to pay for the official software.   :D 

Heh, yeah...

Oh, it was just fine untill I tried to upgrade the sound card.  The bootleg OS wouldn't let me do ANYTHING to the computer unless I had 'Service Pack 2' installed (which the bootleg didn't include...).  No changes, no modifications, no add-ons, no upgrades, nothing..!

I purchased the upgrade only, not the full version, which is a major pain in the ass if I happen to crash the 'puter (which I do, on occasion...).  If I crash and cannot recover I have to first install Windows '98, again, then install the XP upgrade over it.  It can literally take me ALL DAY to reinstall the OS.  Bummer...

As for '98 SE, it was very clunky.  I like my XP...

Written By: nally on 08/27/07 at 6:01 pm

Windows XP.

Written By: La Roche on 08/27/07 at 6:03 pm

I'm running Vista. It's stable, user friendly, excellent, I'm rather impressed. No licensing issues and I've downloaded music recently.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/27/07 at 6:06 pm

I just built a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium, haven't had any problems really, you just have to watch what you install and make sure that it is in fact Vista ready.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/27/07 at 6:07 pm

Windows XP

Written By: Tam on 08/27/07 at 7:04 pm

My vista is still going good - made some upgrades the other day and figured out that I didnt get exactly what I thought I had paid for.

Licensing - I notice that all my songs pop up on media player now and none are being deleted. Must have been a few 'corrupt' files that vista found and deleted then.

Everything is smooth now. Just need to buy more memory and I will be set!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/27/07 at 7:39 pm

Currently XP with low specs. I'm looking to buying a new laptop with Vista (as all new laptops I've seen come with Vista). I've been kinda sceptical of Vista, but is it really as bad as people say it is? (I want real reviews from actual people who have used it, not a phony review from some staunch anti-Microsoft person)

Written By: Tam on 08/27/07 at 7:57 pm

Currently XP with low specs. I'm looking to buying a new laptop with Vista (as all new laptops I've seen come with Vista). I've been kinda sceptical of Vista, but is it really as bad as people say it is? (I want real reviews from actual people who have used it, not a phony review from some staunch anti-Microsoft person)

Right now there are limited programs that are vista compatible.
Norton Internet Security 2007 is incompatible - of this I know for sure!

One main problem that I did manage to figure out is when you install something new, you just can't click on the .exe file. You actually have to right click it and select Run as Administrator - or else it will never install properly.

Vista does allow you though to try and run programs backwards compatible.....

Written By: Brian06 on 08/27/07 at 8:23 pm

It's pretty good, I think it could have been better for a 5 year wait but it is nicer than XP which really had a questionable interface from the start. I would recommend just staying with Windows XP until you buy a new computer. I recommend staying away from Vista Home Basic, it's crippled and takes away pretty much all of the visual benefits Vista offers. 2 GB of RAM is recommend though 1 GB will suffice I suppose. Compatibly is flaky at times (I tried Bitcomet and it basically rendered my internet unusable for some reason so I have moved to another torrent client) but it's new and it was like that when Windows XP came out. The security is a lot better though the prompts can be annoying at times (getting 3 prompts for the exact same program doesn't really make a lot of sense to me). In Windows XP the default user was the administrator at all times while you are logged in, so a lot of adware and viruses could get installed without the users consent, now in Vista the default user (you) is only an administrator when you authorize it through the prompts I mentioned before...if that makes sense.

Subject: What Operating System is your computer currently running?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/28/22 at 10:13 am

Im running my favourite OS: Win98se :)

Vista

I like it ok so far.

I wonder if you quickly right clicked the file and choose READ ONLY if the computer would not be able to delete it then??

But if you dont have the licence to play the file,WILL ANY MEDIA PLAYER PLAY IT??

Is there a test file I could DL to see if my players will play it?

I have WMP9,Realplayer 8+ and VLC

WMP9 is the only one I know that has anything to do with licences in its preferences but I dont think its ever tried to aquire one........

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/22 at 4:08 pm

Firefox

That's your browser not your operating system. Operating systems is either Windows, Mac or Linux are the most common for computers. There are also android, iOS and so many others.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/28/22 at 7:47 pm

Windows Ten.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/22 at 7:51 am

Windows Ten.

same here Windows 10.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/22 at 2:16 pm

Still using Windows 7 and don't want to change. I figured this will be my last Windows.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/22 at 3:28 pm

I think I have Windows 11 now.  I will use anything that isn't Apple lol

Written By: r/crazy on 01/12/23 at 7:16 pm

OS X Mavericks

Written By: nally on 05/31/23 at 11:59 pm

I think I have Windows 11 now.  I will use anything that isn't Apple lol

I'm still on W10. I have been getting suggestions to upgrade to W11, but 10 is working just fine for me. It can pester me all it wants to, but I won't budge unless it's absolutely necessary.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/23 at 2:47 am

I'm still on W10. I have been getting suggestions to upgrade to W11, but 10 is working just fine for me. It can pester me all it wants to, but I won't budge unless it's absolutely necessary.

I also have Windows 10.

Check for new replies or respond here...