inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you stuck in a fashion rut?

Written By: NbC on 06/30/07 at 12:49 am

Is there a fashion that signifies a particular decade that you wore years ago that is totally out of style but yet you still can't give up.  Do you still wear acid wash jeans, over-alls, chunky shoes, The Mom jeans, ect....? 

Subject: Re: Are you stuck in a fashion rut?

Written By: NbC on 06/30/07 at 12:54 am

As for me, I never completely abandoned the "Big 80's Hair".  Although it is no where near as high or as full as it was back in the 80's.  I still style it with a bit of a lift at the top, nothing very drastic.  No more spiral perms or any type of perm for me though. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/07 at 7:31 am

I can't seem to get rid of my Doc Marten shoes (that were very popular in the 90's).

Written By: Howard on 06/30/07 at 8:35 am

My Wrangler Jeans.

Written By: NbC on 06/30/07 at 8:50 am

I can't seem to get rid of my Doc Marten shoes (that were very popular in the 90's).

I liked those also back then.

I still sport slightly similiar shoes for work because they are so comfortable, especially when I am on my feet all day.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/30/07 at 9:03 am

I'm in a fashion rut, but not necessarily any particular "decade".....my standard, day-to-day "uniform" is jeans or shorts and a polo or plain t-shirt with tennis shoes or sandals.....nothing too daring or exciting from me :-\\

Written By: spaceace on 06/30/07 at 10:57 am

I've got that polo thing going too.  I can't stand flare jeans.  I still like Keds.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/07 at 11:13 am

I'm in a fashion rut, but not necessarily any particular "decade".....my standard, day-to-day "uniform" is jeans or shorts and a polo or plain t-shirt with tennis shoes or sandals.....nothing too daring or exciting from me :-\\

Same here-jeans and a tee shirt in the summer (sometimes shorts) or jeans and a sweater in the winter. I do have a bunch of "I don't feel like getting dress" outfits-usually just a sundress (which I am wearing now).

Cat

Written By: KKay on 06/30/07 at 12:27 pm

actually, i was inspired by an article i read in a magazine that suggested that by 45 you should pick a style and stick with it.  so i'm working on that. i sure makes life easier. but i'm over the days of one loook one day and another the next.

i used to be in the "not quite matching skirt with tshirt indie" look.  i'm a little more grown up now. i can use all the old pieces, but i don't wear them in such young styles anymore.

glad i'm out of that rut.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/30/07 at 9:06 pm

The more I think about it, my fashion kinda resembles alot of other things about me in that it doesn't really scream one particular era, but has a little of everything. ;)

Probably I'd be the most '90s in terms of clothing choices. One thing I like is that fashion was nice and casual then. That's why you can dress pretty much the same now, and it doesn't stand out. The big picture of '90s fashion wasn't cheesy, only some select styles were - like the lumberjack look, backwards baseball caps or some of the c. 1992 hip hop stuff, lol.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/07 at 9:17 pm

Sounds a lot like me-polos or a plai n t-shirt, shorts or capris and sandals.

I did update my wardrobe with a couple of skirts and cotton blouses.

I don't consider it a rut thought, these items don't really go out of style.  If I were still wearing my pleated pants that were rolled at the ankle, penny loafers and an over sized blazer then I would say I was in a rut. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/30/07 at 9:41 pm

If I had to pick one favorite outfit to wear, it would be a short-sleeve plaid, checkered shirt over a T-shirt, and a pair of vaguely '80sesque jeans or perhaps cargo pants. If a time machine picked me up and dropped me off somewhere, I'd probably have no problem blending into the post-Vanilla Ice, pre-Britney spears world of second run Alternative Rock and Jim Carrey/Jay and Silent Bob movies. Like 1994-1998.

I also have pretty short (almost buzzcut-type) hair. The early '90s still had alot of big hair and a few mullets on guys, even as late as 1993 - probably for the people who didn't want to give it up, lol. ;)

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/30/07 at 9:43 pm

BIG earrings!  :)

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/30/07 at 11:18 pm

Yeah ...think I've become a bit addicted to the mullet. Probably had an 'eighties' look since around 2002.

I've modelled it on my idol (below) .....

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8060/jul0102ro1.jpg

That face ... ^ looks strinkingly familar !  :D ;D :D

Written By: NbC on 07/01/07 at 1:02 am

I also have pretty short (almost buzzcut-type) hair. The early '90s still had alot of big hair and a few mullets on guys, even as late as 1993 - probably for the people who didn't want to give it up, lol. ;)

Hair (styles) has to be the hardest for people to change.  You can throw out your old clothes, shoes and accessories easily but hair tends to be a security blanket for a few. 

Written By: Davester on 07/01/07 at 3:26 am

I'll be buried in black Clark's Wallabees...

Started wearing those in the 7th or 8th grade ('81-'82).  They became popular again, around here, anyway, in the early 80s.  Since then I've never been without a pair...

Written By: Gis on 07/01/07 at 3:36 am

I too wear jeans and t-shirts or jeans and bowling/waitress style shirts. I guess the only things I still wear from the 80's/90's  are some of my t-shirts, a cropped military style jacket and my Doc Martins. I do still wear baseball boots too.

I stll have my cowboy boots that I thought I would be buried in at one time but they haven't had an outting in a very long time. I'd never get rid of them but I doubt I'll ever wear them again.

Written By: SemperYoda on 07/01/07 at 8:46 am

Ya, jeans/shorts and t-shirts for me.  Nothing very exciting there.

As for hair, its not hard for me cause im losing mine.  I just buzz it all off for the most part.  I had short hair in the Marines, so I pretty much kept the same hair cut when I got out.  Come to think of it, I have always had short hair. 

Written By: MLB on 07/01/07 at 10:55 am

YES!!!!!   help me!?? 8)
  I just shredded a shirt to make quilt squares so I couldn't be attacked for having it in my closet since 1987.  yes, i wore it too, but not since last year when i noticed a small hole in the elbow.  it was peach "plaid" western. white and peach squares.      Sometimes I gain some insight and things go to charity, but some other things take longer to be released/let go.   Like greatgranny's dance slippers! 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/01/07 at 12:16 pm

I'm stuck on v-neck tops...

I'm not sure what decade(s) they were popular, but they seem to look best on my figure!  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/07 at 10:38 pm

Hair (styles) has to be the hardest for people to change.  You can throw out your old clothes, shoes and accessories easily but hair tends to be a security blanket for a few. 

That's true. Sort of like Jesse from Full House. ;) I'd say you're right - in pictures or footage from certain times, it does seem like older hairstyles pervade the longest. It was just very noticeable from the '80s to the '90s, since it was more or less a shift from frizzy and big, to parted or buzzcuts, lol.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/02/07 at 9:27 am

Sounds a lot like me-polos or a plai n t-shirt, shorts or capris and sandals.

I did update my wardrobe with a couple of skirts and cotton blouses.

I don't consider it a rut thought, these items don't really go out of style.  If I were still wearing my pleated pants that were rolled at the ankle, penny loafers and an over sized blazer then I would say I was in a rut. 
My "rut" is that even when I go out looking for "dress" clothes, I usually end up buying yet another polo or t-shirt :-\\ 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/02/07 at 9:28 am

Same here-jeans and a tee shirt in the summer (sometimes shorts) or jeans and a sweater in the winter. I do have a bunch of "I don't feel like getting dress" outfits-usually just a sundress (which I am wearing now).

Cat
I have the "I don't feel like getting dressed" dresses as well....they're all shirt-dresses (basically long polo shirts, but 2 are sleeveless) ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/02/07 at 11:46 am

My "rut" is that even when I go out looking for "dress" clothes, I usually end up buying yet another polo or t-shirt :-\\ 

I think you're a lot like me in that you prefer to go for 'comfort' over 'style'... :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/02/07 at 11:58 am

I think you're a lot like me in that you prefer to go for 'comfort' over 'style'... :)
Definitely.....comfort is a MUST O0

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/07 at 12:02 pm

Definitely.....comfort is a MUST O0

I second that! ;)

I hate dressing up...hate hate hate it. If I am not comfortable...I am miserable.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/07 at 12:38 pm

I second that! ;)

I hate dressing up...hate hate hate it. If I am not comfortable...I am miserable.

I admit, I like dressing up but only do it once maybe twice a year-but when I do, I receive many complements.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 3:55 pm

I second that! ;)

I like dressing up cause it makes me feel good.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/02/07 at 4:03 pm

I am not stuck in a fashion rut.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 4:28 pm

I am not stuck in a fashion rut.

And why is that?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/02/07 at 5:10 pm

I don't know that I'm really in a rut...but I wear jeans/capris/shorts and t-shirts or polo shirts too.  I have to dress for work during the school year, so I wear trousers and button down shirts - usually 3/4 sleeve.  In the summer I pretty much live in flip flops.  Boring yes, comfortable, yes!

Written By: KKay on 07/02/07 at 5:48 pm

I hate when i think i've done a good job dressing and i leave the house and someone tells me i look like i'm at camp. >:(

Written By: NbC on 07/02/07 at 11:21 pm

I have to dress for work during the school year, so I wear trousers and button down shirts - usually 3/4 sleeve. 

That is usually how I dress for work.  Either that or a light knit top or light sweater. 

For casual wear it is usually jeans or jean capris and a short sleeve knit top with athletic shoes or slip ons. 

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 7:28 am

Not a rut exactly, just don't know what to buy.  Or if I do buy something whether it suits me.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/07 at 4:39 pm

I hate when i think i've done a good job dressing and i leave the house and someone tells me i look like i'm at camp. >:(

That's not nice. :(

Written By: KKay on 07/03/07 at 5:23 pm

That's not nice. :(

i agree. it must be all that khaki i have to wear for work.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 5:31 pm

i agree. it must be all that khaki i have to wear for work.

What do you do?

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/04/07 at 9:43 pm

I usually do that, too, considering the hot climate I live in. I absolutely hate dressing up unless I really, really, really have to.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/07 at 6:33 am

I usually do that, too, considering the hot climate I live in. I absolutely hate dressing up unless I really, really, really have to.

I dress up on occassions and even if the occasion is in July or August when it gets blistering hot,I still have to wear a long sleeve/short sleeve shirt cause it's appropriate.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/07 at 10:19 am

I dress up on occassions and even if the occasion is in July or August when it gets blistering hot,I still have to wear a long sleeve/short sleeve shirt cause it's appropriate.

they make short sleeve dress shirts too, Howard.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/05/07 at 11:04 am

When I worked outside of the home, I used to dress up all the time...suits, dresses, skirts, panty hose.

Now, that I stay home with the kids just the thought of putting on a pair of panty hose and heels makes me ill.  ;D ;D

I like to be comfortable but neat and pulled together.  I see people wearing pajama bottoms out in public, I would never do that. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/07 at 12:20 pm

When I worked outside of the home, I used to dress up all the time...suits, dresses, skirts, panty hose.

Now, that I stay home with the kids just the thought of putting on a pair of panty hose and heels makes me ill.   ;D ;D

I like to be comfortable but neat and pulled together.  I see people wearing pajama bottoms out in public, I would never do that. 

ew, I hate to see that too...so sloppyish. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/07 at 12:34 pm

Now, that I stay home with the kids just the thought of putting on a pair of panty hose and heels makes me ill.  ;D ;D

I hate pantyhose with a passion. Several years ago, I discovered garter belts. On those occasions when I do dress up, I use a garter belt and thigh highs. They serve the purpose and are much more comfortable than pantyhose (besides Carlos LOVES them, too.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/05/07 at 7:44 pm

they make short sleeve dress shirts too, Howard.

I know that Erin.I like the fashion dress up button down shirts.

Check for new replies or respond here...