inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are you 4th of July plans?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/07 at 10:10 pm

So, what are you guys going to be up to?  Well, I have to work for a few hours in the morning (only 9-1)....then we are probably having a picnic...then going to see fireworks at night.

Subject: Re: What are you 4th of July plans?

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/07 at 10:21 pm

I've got to go to a wedding early on the 4th, then I guess we'll come home and hang around.  Cook some steaks and swim in the pool. 

We're not going to watch the fireworks since Hunter gets scared. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/07 at 10:24 pm

I've got to go to a wedding early on the 4th, then I guess we'll come home and hang around.  Cook some steaks and swim in the pool. 

We're not going to watch the fireworks since Hunter gets scared. 

sounds like a nice relaxing day. We bought some little firework stuff for Vaughn (sparklers, morning glorys, snaps, etc) to do ...and then we usually see these big fireworks that one of our local town sets off.

Written By: Apricot on 06/30/07 at 10:27 pm

My birthday is on the 3rd, but I work, so we're celebrating on the 4th. Cookout at my home.

Written By: La Roche on 07/01/07 at 12:26 am

I opted to work.

I was given the choice but somebody has to be there to file the end of day reports and I basically said I didn't care if I did it. Considering how quick I am I'll probably just get there real early and be done by lunchtime if I blitz it, then I'll probably do the rounds w/ BBQ's. I guess now we appear to be some sort of item I will go with the woman and see what she is doing and then come back here where I can guarantee something will be happening - We're a boozy household.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/01/07 at 4:25 am

the fact that it's a Wednesday and that we have to work the next day means anything we do will be early, so we will probably bbq/grill some food and hang out with friends

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/07 at 4:27 am

For me, the 4th of July will be just any other day.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/07 at 6:37 am

working 10-4. :(

Written By: SemperYoda on 07/01/07 at 8:40 am

Revolution?  Oh wait, that happened back in 1776.    :-X

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 9:44 am

For me, the 4th of July will be just any other day.

Same here lol

Written By: loki 13 on 07/01/07 at 9:46 am

This year's free concerts are Hall And Oates in Philadelphia and Kansas in Pennsauken, NJ. both will be
followed by fireworks. I don't think I'm going to either. I will sit at home and watch the festivities from
my living room.  ;D

Written By: Southern Image on 07/01/07 at 11:57 am

I never know what I'm doing till that day.  If I make plans ahead of time they ALWAYS get screwed up, so I just wing it from now on....

Subject: Re: What are your 4th of July plans?

Written By: nally on 07/01/07 at 12:00 pm

Probably just stay at home again.

Written By: statsqueen on 07/01/07 at 12:07 pm

Same here lol

For me, too.  Silver Lake's fireworks are tonight and I have to work tomorrow, so there was no point going over for that.  I have to work on Thursday.

I was going to take Thursday off since Micah isn't going to have class, but in spite of my telling my co-worker of my tentative plans to go to Buchanan for the day (or maybe because of it), she got her vacation slip in to take the morning of the 5th off, so now I have no choice but to go into work.

Written By: spaceace on 07/01/07 at 12:15 pm

I'm probably going to go harass the Mayor at our Annual 4th of July celebration. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/07 at 1:02 pm

Usually we try to get out on the Big Dog for the 4th and watch the fireworks up and down the lake but she isn't even in the water yet.  :\'( :\'(  We will probably stay home and watch our annual movie: 1776. (We always have to watch that around the 4th. )

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/01/07 at 5:30 pm

Well, there has been a change of plans...instead of the relaxing day at home, we'll be heading over to my Sister-in-laws for a cookout and swimming.  :-\\

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/01/07 at 8:54 pm

I'm going to a friend's house for BBQ-I'll probably spend most of the time in the pool, since it's supposed to be 115 degrees that day.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 2:23 am

I could go to a cricket match, but it means traveling a long distance to get there.

Written By: karen on 07/02/07 at 3:53 am

just a normal work day for me.  Dai is in the states this week starting the hand over process.  He has arranged to meet some friends on the 4th, I think they are going to a race of some sort.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 4:06 pm

I'm going to a friend's house for BBQ-I'll probably spend most of the time in the pool, since it's supposed to be 115 degrees that day.  :-\\

How are you going to dress for 115 degrees?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/07 at 4:28 pm

just a normal work day for me.  Dai is in the states this week starting the hand over process.  He has arranged to meet some friends on the 4th, I think they are going to a race of some sort.

The fourth is a big day over here.  Fireworks, barbecues, races, all that stuff.  You will see next year.   ;)  Unfortunately, I am on the first shift of a round the clock job, watching the pumps to make sure the jobsite doesn't flood, so I will be at work.  There are plusses to that, though.  It is a six hour shift, I get out at 12:30, and it is triple time for the holiday.

Written By: KKay on 07/02/07 at 4:49 pm

I have to work..in the evening i'll go to my usual bar and hang out watching NY harbor thru their big front window.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/02/07 at 5:04 pm

I don't know what we're doing.  My sister's birthday is the 4th, so I told her to think of something fun and we'd all get together.

Written By: NbC on 07/02/07 at 11:14 pm

I will be at work.  I rarely ever get holidays off. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/03/07 at 2:27 am

new plans... taking Lady Di out for breakfast or brunch, depends on when we get up and then going to see a matinee of  Bruce Willis in Live Free Or Die Hard, and then maybe come home and bbq/grill up some sausages or something for dinner

Written By: KKay on 07/03/07 at 7:10 am

new plans... taking Lady Di out for breakfast or brunch, depends on when we get up and then going to see a matinee of  Bruce Willis in Live Free Or Die Hard, and then maybe come home and bbq/grill up some sausages or something for dinner

that sounds fun. i think i might have to get me some Bruno action too.  I'll take that cue from you.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/03/07 at 10:55 am

I bought tickets for the Indians/Detroit game in Detroit, so I'll be driving up to Detroit for the game and fireworks afterwards.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/03/07 at 12:16 pm

Sucks, it's my favorite holiday, and I have to work =(. However, I think we're going on a picnic. Maybe.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/07 at 4:33 pm

Have to work on that day.maybe there will be some extra sweeping up to do.

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/03/07 at 4:46 pm

http://www.chromasia.com/images/international_fireworks_2_b.jpg

Happy 4th of July to y'all. Over here (Sydney), it already is (July 4th) .... and 7.48am.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/07 at 4:48 pm

http://www.chromasia.com/images/international_fireworks_2_b.jpg

Happy 4th of July to y'all. Over here (Sydney), it already is (July 4th) .... and 7.48am.

And Happy 4th to you too. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/07 at 10:12 pm

We were invited to a picnic...so after my work shift (9am to 1 pm) we are heading over there...then we will do the fireworks later at night.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/03/07 at 10:15 pm

I worked this morning, ate some good ol' American food for lunch (McDonalds  ::)) and now I'm sitting here typing this post.

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/04/07 at 12:23 am

A few more, to really get in the spirit ....

From sea ...
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 
http://www.ogdencity.com/img/import/images/Pioneer%20Days/Fireworks.jpg

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/citywide/macysfireworks/2004fireworks.jpg

http://www.finehomeslv.com/blog/las_vegas_fireworks.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/19/23586275_0a9e2da29f.jpg

http://tickets.redandwhite.com/uplimage/Fireworks-4.jpg

http://www.grucci.com/Liberty2.jpeg
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

To shining sea.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 1:11 am

that sounds fun. i think i might have to get me some Bruno action too.  I'll take that cue from you.
I hope you do.  8) always glad to give you a cue KKay, and we'll be going to see Bruce at a very early matinee, like 10:30am and then come home and kick back & rest up a bit before we go for steaks at Black Angus so yippee!! I don't have to bbq/grill tomorrow. the in-laws want to take us out for dinner, and of course that means I'm the chaffauer but maybe Lady Di's dad or mom will buy. they're so generous, they always want to pay.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 1:55 am

Special for today!

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/usflag.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 1:58 am

click the link and make your own fireworks            http://www.maylin.net/Fireworks.html

oh yeah, turn the volume up

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 2:02 am

click the link and make your own fireworks            http://www.maylin.net/Fireworks.html

Just move the mouse and click to there is no tomorrow, it is great!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 2:03 am

Just move the mouse and click to there is no tomorrow, it is great!
it is great, and sounds realistic. well, sort of  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/04/07 at 2:09 am

Since I have to work tonight, I plan on watching the fireworks displays from BG and CW from the roof of the hotel.

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/07 at 2:11 am

That is one fun site 8)

Written By: karen on 07/04/07 at 4:00 am

Have to work on that day.maybe there will be some extra sweeping up to do.

Yeah till 4.00.  that gives you the whole evening.  So what will you and Robin be doing?

Today I am going into town at lunchtime to collect the tickets for my holiday next week.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/04/07 at 4:43 am

Our apartment complex hosts a big Independence Day Potluck & Fireworks Party.

People from around the complex & other rental properties are invited to bring food for the potluck.
I usually run DJ services. My wife has made me do karaoke in the past, but this year I refuse!
DJ services, OK, but NO KARAOKE!

After the sun goes down, we have the central parking lot cordoned off, in order to give our tenants a safe place to light fireworks.
We have water buckets and fire extinguishers handy, and everyone helps in the clean-up, so it works out nicely.
Plus- we have a view of the Fireworks from the Dam, for those who are into that...as well as apartments to duck into, if you're like me.

Written By: statsqueen on 07/04/07 at 9:17 am

I thought I was going to be relaxing at home, but Micah told me that not only do we have to go to the birthday party of 2 of the children she babysits for (they are brothers and both are hell on wheels), but we have to go early to help set up for it.

The weather will be the determining factor regarding the fireworks.  They are predicting more storms, but who knows (it looks like it wants to rain, will just have to wait and see what it does later).

Written By: Gis on 07/04/07 at 10:11 am

Going to the movies to see 'This is England' tonight.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 3:33 pm

ya gotta go see it. just got back from the show and the movie & Bruce kicked ass! it was really good

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/07 at 3:41 pm

Since we watch the movie 1776 the other day, we are now listening to the CD-first we listened to the one with Brent Spiner (yes, Data from TNG) and now the original Broadway production with William Daniels (of Boy Meets World and St. Elsewhere fame) who was also in the movie.  As much as love Brent Spiner, William Daniels is sooooo much better in that part. He was born to play John Adams.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 3:52 pm

Since we watch the movie 1776 the other day, we are now listening to the CD-first we listened to the one with Brent Spiner (yes, Data from TNG) and now the original Broadway production with William Daniels (of Boy Meets World and St. Elsewhere fame) who was also in the movie.  As much as love Brent Spiner, William Daniels is sooooo much better in that part. He was born to play John Adams.

Cat
you must be in a really patriotic mood now

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/07 at 4:21 pm

you must be in a really patriotic mood now

I can't it, I just love the movie/play. The movie is just OUTSTANDING (one of my all-time favorite movies). I don't think I can ever get sick of it. Maybe I can talk Carlos into watching the movie again, tonight.  :D ;D ;D

BTW, if you have never seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. I find it interesting that the people who wrote it really did their homework. It was not Hollywood rewriting history. Many of the lines were actually said by these people-maybe not in the context that they were in the movie but sometime in their lives. The only things that did NOT happen in history but did in the movie was that Martha Jefferson did not go to Philadelphia and the members of the Second Continental Congress didn't break out into song whenever they got the chance.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 4:23 pm

I can't it, I just love the movie/play. The movie is just OUTSTANDING (one of my all-time favorite movies). I don't think I can ever get sick of it. Maybe I can talk Carlos into watching the movie again, tonight.  :D ;D ;D

BTW, if you have never seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. I find it interesting that the people who wrote it really did their homework. It was not Hollywood rewriting history. Many of the lines were actually said by these people-maybe not in the context that they were in the movie but sometime in their lives. The only things that did NOT happen in history but did in the movie was that Martha Jefferson did not go to Philadelphia and the members of the Second Continental Congress didn't break out into song whenever they got the chance.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat
I have never seen it and upon your recommendation I will try to see it asap

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 4:25 pm

I can here fireworks, but the trees around my flat are obscuring the view.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/07 at 4:27 pm

I have never seen it and upon your recommendation I will try to see it asap

Netflix has it (of course I have my own copy  ;) )

I can here fireworks, but the trees around my flat are obscuring the view.

Wow, people in the U.K. are celebrating the U.S.'s birthday?

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 4:29 pm

Cat
I'm not a Netflix user  :(  so I must find some other way of aquiring this highly coveted film

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/07 at 4:34 pm

I'm not a Netflix user  :(  so I must find some other way of aquiring this highly coveted film

Why not? Netflix is great. You can find movies that very few local places have.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 4:36 pm

Why not? Netflix is great. You can find movies that very few local places have.

Cat
I don't rent movies very often at all anymore, maybe once or twice a year. I like the idea of having access to hard to get films. that may be something to consider here in the near future

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 4:38 pm

Cat
We do have Americans living here, for instance lives near by.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 4:40 pm

Yeah till 4.00.  that gives you the whole evening.  So what will you and Robin be doing?

Today I am going into town at lunchtime to collect the tickets for my holiday next week.

I don't know Karen.She hasn't called me back.I was hoping she'd hang out with me.Robin takes trazadone and Zoloft so it makes her very tired.Maybe next time.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 4:41 pm

I love it.Thanks Mike.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 4:42 pm

We do have Americans living here, for instance lives near by.
...and Ruby Wax.

In fact, the fireworks came from her direction.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 4:44 pm

My plans is that I'm home after work and relaxing watching the fireworks on TV.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/07 at 9:03 pm

I am absolutely beside myself.  I remember when the 4th of July in Boston was a blast.  You'd have the barbecue, then go somewhere for fireworks. The Hatch Shell on The Esplanade became the thing to do in the 70's.  The Boston Pops would play and have the 1812 Overture and a bunch of John Phillip Sousa and George M Cohan and the fireworks.  I watched on television this year, and now it is broadcast, so they have to have "media time outs" and fill ins and guest stars (John Mellencamp??)to make sure the timeline is ok.  They just played the 1812 Overture for the crowd, but will have to play it again, then have the fireworks, because the national broadcast starts at ten.  Meanwhile it has started to rain and if they weren't constrained by damn networks they would have had the fireworks and everyone would have gone home happy.  If anyone saw the network broadcast, Washington was 8 to 9, New York 9 to 10, and Boston 10 to 11.  The he$$ with that.  The people at the Hatch Shall should storm the ramparts and take back the 4th from the media moguls and party at their own pace.  When in the course of human events....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/04/07 at 9:08 pm

We were going to go see fireworks, but it started to rain about 15 minutes before they started so no fireworks tonight.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/04/07 at 9:11 pm

We were going to go see fireworks, but it started to rain about 15 minutes before they started so no fireworks tonight.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Sorry to hear that ^ ...  :(  maybe looking at the fireworks earlier in this post, or clicking on that link Badfinger fan mentioned might help just a teeny weeny bit?

Written By: La Roche on 07/04/07 at 9:19 pm

Having seen Pyrotechnics in effect numerous times I can't say fireworks particularly thrill me - "Oh look.. some light." so I'm currently tearing my way through a case of soda and an enormous club sandwich.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/04/07 at 10:11 pm

well our plans changed. I worked from 9-1, then instead of going to the picnic that we were invited to...we went over to my parents for a BBQ. Then we picked up Vaughn from his grandma's house...and instead of going to see a fireworks display...Chris set off some great ones in our backyard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 12:28 am

Is anyone now making plans for ID4 next year?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/05/07 at 12:33 am

yes, I already plan on going to San Ramon by my office for the fireworks show  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 12:34 am

yes, I already plan on going to San Ramon by my office for the fireworks show  :)
splendid!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/05/07 at 12:34 am

splendid!
indeed. if you happen to be in California that day, do look us up and you can go too

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 12:37 am

indeed. if you happen to be in California that day, do look us up and you can go too
I do have distant in-laws in California, you may never know....

Written By: Howard on 07/05/07 at 6:27 am

I don't know what July 4th 2008 will bring yet,too early to tell right now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 6:48 am

I don't know what July 4th 2008 will bring yet,too early to tell right now.
Book the day now for annual leave so that you will know that you will be off work that day next year.

Written By: Southern Image on 07/05/07 at 9:56 am

We ended up having a cook-out over at my sisters. I made the salads, and my brother -in -law cooked the meats. We had some family and friends over , it was nice. The City next to us shot off fireworks and we could watch them from her driveway. I had a huge box of fireworks that I get for free every year, perks from the job, but we can't light them in our areas  :-\\, so I gave them to my brother-in-law to take out to the river to light them. *shhh* We did light the Sparklers though  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/05/07 at 7:47 pm

Book the day now for annual leave so that you will know that you will be off work that day next year.

Who knows if I'm still going to be at Pathmark by then.If I last a year there,then that's an accomplishment.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/06/07 at 2:45 am

I do have distant in-laws in California, you may never know....
you'd be most welcome  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...