inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone had a root canal? Update!

Written By: gemini on 07/12/07 at 6:54 pm

How bad was it, really?  My daughter has to get one and she's freaking out because we always hear such terrible things about them. I don't know what, at 18, she could have done to have to get a one, except for maybe that Mountain Dew she used to drink.  So, is it as bad and painful as people say?

Subject: Re: Anyone had a root canal?

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/07 at 6:59 pm

I have had several root canals, and they can be quite scary, but as long as the dentist uses the right amount of novocaine, there should be no pain or discomfort.  It should be smooth sailing. 

There is a scary side to root canals, which I have experienced, but I won't go into that lol

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/07 at 7:10 pm

except for maybe that Mountain Dew she used to drink

Unlikely, unless her teeth sucked to begin with. I drink anywhere from 3-10 cans of soda per day and have done for the best part of my life. Never had a filling, never had a cavity, never had nothing, my teeth are as perfect as the day I got em.. well, except for a few that got knocked out.  ;D

Written By: gemini on 07/12/07 at 7:10 pm

I have had several root canals, and they can be quite scary, but as long as the dentist uses the right amount of novocaine, there should be no pain or discomfort.  It should be smooth sailing. 

There is a scary side to root canals, which I have experienced, but I won't go into that lol

Just novacaine huh? They don't knock you out?  

Written By: loki 13 on 07/12/07 at 7:14 pm

I have had root canal twice, neither time was painful. Having a root canal is never a pleasureable
experience but it's not as bad as it's made out to be.

Written By: gemini on 07/12/07 at 7:14 pm

Unlikely, unless her teeth sucked to begin with. I drink anywhere from 3-10 cans of soda per day and have done for the best part of my life. Never had a filling, never had a cavity, never had nothing, my teeth are as perfect as the day I got em.. well, except for a few that got knocked out.  ;D

The dentist has these pictures in his office of what Mountain Dew can do to your teeth and it's pretty disgusting, but she only drank it for a year or so then got tired of it.  I don't know, she takes care of her teeth and I always made sure she went to the Dentist regularly but this one tooth just started hurting one day, so I don't know.

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/07 at 7:25 pm

Just novacaine huh? They don't knock you out?  

There is the option to be knocked out, but the dentist I had took the time to convince me that Novocaine was the easier route

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/12/07 at 9:27 pm

Yes, I did.  It was not fun, even had two of my wisdom teeth pulled.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/12/07 at 9:32 pm

Yeah I had to have one in '05 myself (this one tooth had some decay on it). They're not fun, but the combination of the novocaine and the gas is usually enough to make it relatively painless. I was in a halfway sleeplike state. It'll be a little bit sore afterwards once the stuff wears off, but no huge deal.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/12/07 at 11:43 pm

I had a couple of root canals done about 7 years ago. I did not experience much pain or discomfort at all. I thought the dentist did a terrific job.

Written By: Apricot on 07/12/07 at 11:49 pm

My mom had one and said they didn't numb her right and it hurt like a bastard. My father said his was extremely painful as well.

My parents aren't very reliable, though, they've been trying to scare me into obsessive dental hygiene

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/12/07 at 11:53 pm

How bad was it, really?  My daughter has to get one and she's freaking out because we always hear such terrible things about them. I don't know what, at 18, she could have done to have to get a one, except for maybe that Mountain Dew she used to drink.  So, is it as bad and painful as people say?

It's like other cavities.

Written By: La Roche on 07/13/07 at 12:02 am

The dentist has these pictures in his office of what Mountain Dew can do to your teeth and it's pretty disgusting, but she only drank it for a year or so then got tired of it.  I don't know, she takes care of her teeth and I always made sure she went to the Dentist regularly but this one tooth just started hurting one day, so I don't know.

Is Mountain Dew worse than regular soda then? I mean, apart from that it tastes like warm cat piss.

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/13/07 at 12:29 am

My mom had one and said they didn't numb her right and it hurt like a bastard. My father said his was extremely painful as well.

My parents aren't very reliable, though, they've been trying to scare me into obsessive dental hygiene

You can read about 'root canals' here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endodontic_therapy

I've got a mouthful of mercury amalgam fillings, most of which have been in place 35 or more years. It's rather unfortunate in looking back that flluoride wasn't in the water / in the toothpaste at the time AND  that I didn't take a lot more care /  brush my teeth regularly. I ate a hell of a lot of sweets (candy) in those days .... and just left  all the sugar to fester on my teeth. My teeth are mottled (off white), which dentists have told me means they're stronger than prettier shiny white teeth ... which means I probably should have never required a filling if I'd looked after them!

I don't 'floss', because I find that too much of a pain, getting the technique etc; .. have often cut the gums with the floss anyhow. So my advice 'Tubeway' ... no need to be 'obsessive' ... but at a minimum clean your teeth at least once a day  (last thing at night mandatory!).. but I do it morning and night. Use a 'total' toothpaste ... look for one containing 'Triclosan' or that claims to fight plaque; protect gums; fight cavities; prevent tartar; with a medium or soft brush. Replace that GOOD QUALITY flexible brush (Colgate/ Macleans/Oral B every 3 months (you'll save pain and money in the long run).

Also, since I don't floss, over recent years I've made sure of getting to the dentists at least once a year for a 'scale and polish' + check up .. to remove the gunk between the teeth. That stuff will attack your enamel and make you get 'long in the tooth' sooner rather than later. I ended up with a fair bit of recession as a result, and teeth that were extremely sensistive to cold liquids / sweet sticky mars bars and the like. I had to invest in 'adhesive posts' to solve the problem.  So, that too 'Tubeway' is my other recommendation. Do the above, and you'll probably be able to chew on a juicy steak well into your old age ... something people with false teeth wish they could do easily!

P.S. Apart from the 'once in a blue moon' filling, I hardly ever HAVE to see a dentist these days/ decades!
:)

P.P.S. Make sure to find a trustworthy dentist. Might be worth getting a second opinion if you think they're shonky. Some have been known to drill perfectly good teeth 'cause they're desperate for cash! Doing my recommendations will minimize your risk of this occurring. If you're feeling no pain/ your teeth appear healthy, and the dentist gives you the Ok after a check-up, chances are they are 'above board'. If they say you need several teeth filled, I'd shop around!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 1:26 am

hey Rhonda. No,  it is not as bad and painful as they say but of course that depends on the dentist, the oral surgeon and staff. I had my very first root canal done last year, in preparation for a crown on a tooth that had a big cavity, which I had ignored since there was no pain, and a previous dental experience had me traumatized  :o  I informed my current dentist & oral surgeon of my fears & they made sure to use plenty of topical novocaine with a swab first so that I would not feel the injections, & then the root canal and crown work was a piece of cake. I don't like gas, so I stay wide awake, but as long as they numb it enough, then that's cool. They did fantastic & helped me get past previous fears & now I actually enjoy going & I think I'll go in tomorrow morning, but that's because i have a small chip that occured this evening.  your kid is gonna be fine as long as they use the proper amount of drugs to numb her.  good luck

Written By: Gis on 07/13/07 at 1:32 am

It's like other cavities.
No it's not!

They usually take about 20 minutes to do from start to finish, a root canal treatment is a lot longer. I had to go in for two 40 minute slots when I had it done and sadly it didn't work and I then had to go in and have the tooth pulled.To be honest the worst thing was having to sit in the chair so long I was so ready to leave after 40 minutes!
I'm allergic to the stuff they usually use to numb your tooth so I had a less effective one, it was uncomfortable but not unbearable it just ached a LOT afterwards put if you take painkillers you are fine.

I don't know about the U.S but in the U.K it is illegal to use gas in the dentist's chair now. If you want to be knocked out you have to have a hospital appointment.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/13/07 at 1:36 am

No it's not!

They usually take about 20 minutes to do from start to finish, a root canal treatment is a lot longer. I had to go in for two 40 minute slots when I had it done and sadly it didn't work and I then had to go in and have the tooth pulled.To be honest the worst thing was having to sit in the chair so long I was so ready to leave after 40 minutes!
I'm allergic to the stuff they usually use to numb your tooth so I had a less effective one, it was uncomfortable but not unbearable it just ached a LOT afterwards put if you take painkillers you are fine.

I don't know about the U.S but in the U.K it is illegal to use gas in the dentist's chair now. If you want to be knocked out you have to have a hospital appointment.

Oh... Well, aside from the duration of the operation, it was just like others for me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 1:42 am

No it's not!

Gis is correct in that it's not like other cavities as this procedure is designed to completely kill/deaden any nerve that is living inside the canal of the tooth. check this out. they use a drill bit to completely clean out nerve ending and fill it. it's not painful if done correctly

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xVfHpdGP3sAREqjzbkF/SIG=11s8pjah2/EXP=1184395231/**http%3A//www.bloomdental.com/img/endo1.jpg
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5myhHpdGKCIBADCjzbkF/SIG=12hivgcp0/EXP=1184395297/**http%3A//www.pacificparkdentalcare.com/IMAGES/services/root.jpg

Oh... Well, aside from the duration of the operation, it was just like others for me.
in that respect, yes, it may take as long as a regualr filling but it's a bit more involved.

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 2:13 am

It sure does depend on the dentist.  The dentist i used to go to wasn't really all that good.  Few years ago, I went to get several teeth filled, and each time, he didn't use enough novocaine, and ended up pinching a nerve with the drill and holy #@!$ did I feel it :o

Makes me wish I took better care of my teeth when I was a kid :\'(  In a few years, my teeth will probably look worse than those of singer Shane McGowan lol

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 2:15 am

It sure does depend on the dentist.  The dentist i used to go to wasn't really all that good.  Few years ago, I went to get several teeth filled, and each time, he didn't use enough novocaine, and ended up pinching a nerve with the drill and holy #@!$ did I feel it :o

Makes me wish I took better care of my teeth when I was a kid.  In a few years, my teeth will probably look worse than those of singer Shane McGowan lol
a good dentist can change all that and make them look good too. my current dentis is the guy Lady Di has been seeing for many years so I decided to try him & I'm glad i did. he is very interested in making sure it doesn't hurt or that I don't get stressed or worried and i don;t anymore. I wish I'd taken better care of mine too, but at least i do have double coverage for my dental work, but still have to pay some out of pocket.

Written By: Gis on 07/13/07 at 2:50 am

You're right having a good dentist makes such a difference. I have had the same one for over twenty years now, I'm dreading him retiring!
I had a bad experience as a child that terrified me for years. Luckily my teeth are in good condition so that's a bonus.

My root canal work took longer as it was a big tooth at the back and it had a one in a thousand 'extra' root canal so I had to get three drilled instead of two.  ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 2:58 am

You're right having a good dentist makes such a difference. I have had the same one for over twenty years now, I'm dreading him retiring!
I had a bad experience as a child that terrified me for years. Luckily my teeth are in good condition so that's a bonus.

My root canal work took longer as it was a big tooth at the back and it had a one in a thousand 'extra' root canal so I had to get three drilled instead of two.  ::)
you're quite a trooper Gis.  that experience could make a grown man faint  ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/13/07 at 3:04 am

you're quite a trooper Gis.  that experience could make a grown man faint  ;D
When he was working away at it he said if it hurts at all just tap my arm. I had to at one point, not because it hurt but because he was leaning so hard on my front teeth I thought they would snap!  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 3:06 am

When he was working away at it he said if it hurts at all just tap my arm. I had to at one point, not because it hurt but because he was leaning so hard on my front teeth I thought they would snap!  ;D
damn  :o  you must have been doing some serious tapping

Written By: gemini on 07/13/07 at 4:48 am

Is Mountain Dew worse than regular soda then? I mean, apart from that it tastes like warm cat piss.

Apparently so. The pictures he has are only of the affects of drinking Mountain Dew, it must have more sugar in it or something. And yea, it tastes disgusting.  :P

Thanks for all the input everyone. So, the general consensus is minor pain, but she'll live. I'll pass it on to her, or maybe I'lll just leave out the minor pain part.  ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/13/07 at 8:40 am

Gemini, I've had a few of them (because I grind my teeth :() and they look/seem worse than they really are.  I've always had some rubber surgical drape type thing that goes around the tooth and forces you to keep your mouth open, which can make your jaw sore for a day or two.  That is worse than the procedure itself.....especially if the tooth is hurting.  The last one I had was on a front tooth that was hurting because my littlest one kicked it (he was a baby) and as soon as the endodontist opened up the tooth, even though I was numbed thoroughly, I could feel the pressure release and when the novocaine wore off, I was fine.  I'd suggest giving her some Tylenol or Advil before she goes in and she should be good when she comes out :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/07 at 8:46 am

actually, I just found out something about Mountain Dew (which I never could stand the taste of). A friend of mine is pregnant and when she went to her doctor recently for her checkup, he told her to stop drinking Mountain Dew. She thought that maybe he meant because it had more caffeine than other sodas...but no, the reason he told her not to drink it was because of a certain ingredient that they put in there.....embalming fluid. :o

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/13/07 at 9:29 am

Re: Anyone had a root canal?

because of a certain ingredient that they put in there.....embalming fluid. :o

Hmm ... ^  .... to tell the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth ... 'I want my MUMMY'!  :D

Written By: Southern Image on 07/13/07 at 10:07 am

Wow! 18? That is young. I have had four of them done at one time. It wasn't that bad during the time.  But  you do swell up some. They will give her antibotics and pain killers.

I do have a horror story but won't included it here.  Just make sure her dentist is a good one and knows what they are doing.

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/13/07 at 10:57 am

Wow! 18? That is young. I have had four of them done at one time. It wasn't that bad during the time.  But  you do swell up some. They will give her antibotics and pain killers.

I do have a horror story but won't included it here.  Just make sure her dentist is a good one and knows what they are doing.

Just make sure her dentist is a good one and knows what they are doing.

Well, yes ... that makes sense ^ ..... what  they mean is  .... at the very least, make sure they know the drill :D :P :D

P.S. are you allowed to cry and laugh helplessly at your own sad jokes ^ (??)  No? Ok I'll do it privately ... well maybe not! Just starting to recover!  ;D

P.P.S. 'It's alright' ...they reckon the 'BIG YELLOW TAXI'  is on its way anytime now!  ;) ;D :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/13/07 at 11:49 am

I've had one root canal done in my life, and it wasn't pleasant at all.  But I have to say the worst part was when they had to extract the wisdom tooth that caused the other tooth to have problems and need a root canal.  Double whammy!  :P

Few years ago, I went to get several teeth filled, and each time, he didn't use enough novocaine, and ended up pinching a nerve with the drill and holy #@!$ did I feel it :o

I had one filled last week and I was still able to feel the nerve when he started drilling, so he had to administer more novacaine and I was numb for several hours after that!  :o

Written By: La Roche on 07/13/07 at 11:52 am

actually, I just found out something about Mountain Dew (which I never could stand the taste of). A friend of mine is pregnant and when she went to her doctor recently for her checkup, he told her to stop drinking Mountain Dew. She thought that maybe he meant because it had more caffeine than other sodas...but no, the reason he told her not to drink it was because of a certain ingredient that they put in there.....embalming fluid. :o

HAHAHAHA! Ok, that's so awesome!

Written By: gemini on 07/13/07 at 4:57 pm

Gis is correct in that it's not like other cavities as this procedure is designed to completely kill/deaden any nerve that is living inside the canal of the tooth. check this out. they use a drill bit to completely clean out nerve ending and fill it. it's not painful if done correctly

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xVfHpdGP3sAREqjzbkF/SIG=11s8pjah2/EXP=1184395231/**http%3A//www.bloomdental.com/img/endo1.jpg
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5myhHpdGKCIBADCjzbkF/SIG=12hivgcp0/EXP=1184395297/**http%3A//www.pacificparkdentalcare.com/IMAGES/services/root.jpg
in that respect, yes, it may take as long as a regualr filling but it's a bit more involved.

Haha! Love the visual aides!  ;D Thanks!

Gemini, I've had a few of them (because I grind my teeth :() and they look/seem worse than they really are.  I've always had some rubber surgical drape type thing that goes around the tooth and forces you to keep your mouth open, which can make your jaw sore for a day or two.  That is worse than the procedure itself.....especially if the tooth is hurting.  The last one I had was on a front tooth that was hurting because my littlest one kicked it (he was a baby) and as soon as the endodontist opened up the tooth, even though I was numbed thoroughly, I could feel the pressure release and when the novocaine wore off, I was fine.  I'd suggest giving her some Tylenol or Advil before she goes in and she should be good when she comes out :)

The dentist already gave her antibiotics and Vicoden for the pain since she has to wait until the 24th  :o  They were closed today, so I'm gonna call monday to see if they can do it sooner.

Wow! That's pretty disgusting  :P

Thanks everyone, and karma to all of you for your comments and advice!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/14/07 at 10:33 am

It doesnt sound like American kids do the standard soft drink test in science class in primary school. It usually successfully puts Aussie kids off coke, sprite, fanta etc etc for life.

Basically we set up jars with different things in them. A dirty coin, a bone, a tooth - lots of other things. Then we poured coke (or any other random soft drink) in each jar and left them over night.

In the morning the dirty old coin was shiney and sparkly and the tooth and the bone was nothing more than a little pile of calcium. Any kid that saw those results never drank coke again !

Anyone want dental horror stories - ask me what I did to my mouth last month - it sure as hell beats anything here and anything I have ever done in my life. I went to Bangkok and voluntarily had all 29 teeth in my mouth pulled out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beat that with a couple of root canals !!! :o :D

Written By: spaceace on 07/14/07 at 10:52 am

I had to have a tooth removed.  It broke below the gum line.  I had the option of being knocked out for about $400 more than a regular extraction with Novocaine.  The only thing that really hurt was the needle. :P

Subject: Re: Anyone had a root canal? Update!

Written By: gemini on 07/24/07 at 4:02 pm

The root canal was a success! She has no pain and isn't even swelled, and it didn't hurt that the Endodontist was freakin' HOT!!  ;D 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/24/07 at 4:27 pm

...and it didn't hurt that the Endodontist was freakin' HOT!!  ;D 

O-ho!  :D ;D ;)

Seriously, I'm glad your daughter's root canal went well... :)

Written By: gemini on 07/24/07 at 4:30 pm

O-ho!  :D ;D ;)

Seriously, I'm glad your daughter's root canal went well... :)

Hey, who are you callin' a ho?!  ;D 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/24/07 at 4:31 pm

Hey, who are you callin' a ho?!  ;D 

ROFL!  ;D ;)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/24/07 at 8:06 pm

I had to have a tooth removed.  It broke below the gum line.  I had the option of being knocked out for about $400 more than a regular extraction with Novocaine.  The only thing that really hurt was the needle. :P

I have that same problem right now -- a tooth that is still there, but has chipped away to the point it's barely above the gum any longer.  I had a root canal a couple years ago on another tooth -- only procedure I'd ever had -- with novocaine, and felt little to no pain after.  I've been putting off work on this new tooth, because I'm SCARED.  :o

Written By: jaytee on 07/24/07 at 8:12 pm

I'd rather go through chilldbirth again than a root canal. :P

Written By: La Roche on 07/24/07 at 11:26 pm

Anyone want dental horror stories - ask me what I did to my mouth last month - it sure as hell beats anything here and anything I have ever done in my life. I went to Bangkok and voluntarily had all 29 teeth in my mouth pulled out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so f**king awesome.

Written By: karen on 07/25/07 at 4:00 am

Why?

Written By: La Roche on 07/25/07 at 7:27 am

Why?

Because she's exceptionally awesome and thoroughly brutal!

Written By: karen on 07/25/07 at 8:22 am

Besides that, I meant

Written By: Paul on 07/25/07 at 1:54 pm

I'm getting a bit wary of my dentist...Dr. Szell... :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 07/25/07 at 1:56 pm

Besides that, I meant

That's not a good enough reason?

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/25/07 at 2:14 pm

It doesnt sound like American kids do the standard soft drink test in science class in primary school. It usually successfully puts Aussie kids off coke, sprite, fanta etc etc for life.

Basically we set up jars with different things in them. A dirty coin, a bone, a tooth - lots of other things. Then we poured coke (or any other random soft drink) in each jar and left them over night.

In the morning the dirty old coin was shiney and sparkly and the tooth and the bone was nothing more than a little pile of calcium. Any kid that saw those results never drank coke again !

Beat that with a couple of root canals !!! :o :D

Suddenly, getting four of my teeth pulled doesn't seem so bad...

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/26/07 at 10:41 am

Suddenly, getting four of my teeth pulled doesn't seem so bad...

That is so f**king awesome.

Why?

Good question !  Took me much of the year to build up the courage after living on daily penicillan and codiene for 7 months. Its also why I havent been on this board very much this year (the first half of the year is very fuzzy to me).

Basically - I had no enamel - pretty much hadnt since my adult teeth came thru in my teens. So my teeth were like pieces of unprotected chalk. They broke when I ate, they broke when I brushed, they broke when I slept, they broke when talked, they broke when I laughed. This was combined with a 25 year long extreme dental phobia that prevented me from getting them fixed.

It had reached the point where I referred to my mouth as one from Deliverance Country. I had stopped smiling - and I had stopped kissing.

Then last November a particularly annoying "toothache" pain progressed into undescribable pain that nothing could numb. I kept asking my doctors if they thought an infection could have moved into my jawbone but they decided to shut me up with more penecilan rather than sending me for tests or xrays.

I was living in a haze and making mistakes at work. I was reaching my final straw.

So I did some research in May and at the end of May I flew to Bangkok and had a 9 hour surgery where all remaining 29 broken teeth were removed - along with 2 inches of my lower jaw bone. Yes I was right - the bone had been infected all that time. It was necrotic (ie dead). They inserted 10 titanium implants and these are now integrating themselves with my jawbone.  I was in the ICU for several days because my body totally shut down after fighting such a chronic infection for 7 months.

I have temporary plastic teeth for a few months while the implants settle into the bone and then I return to Bangkok to have a full set of permenant porcelain teeth affixed to the implants.

I am not allowed to bite or chew for 3 months so I am discovering millions of different soup combinations (and dropped 2 dress sizes so far LOL). I have grown to love jelly (Jello for the US gang). I have been away from work for 2 months while I get use to speaking again. I lost the use of my tongue for a while due to such a long general aneasthetic and I have a triangle of temporary numbness from my nose to my chin to halfway across my cheek on one side - its fading and should be back to normal in a couple of months.

So - here I am being very brave and sharing with you my XTREME XRAY - so far only a few close friends and family have been shown this.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/kj68/Spare%20stuff/2007junebangkok137.jpg

Now I know the next question will be "why Bangkok". Cost was of course a big factor. Professionalism was another. Bangkok dentists currently lead the word in oral technology and their government subsides the purchase of all the incredible equipment and training - so they can do the job far cheaper than elsewhere.

Ironically - the dentist here in Perth that I got quote from (like to the tune of $140,000) was TRAINED by the Thai surgeon who ended up doing my work ! (For considerable less at around $40,000).

So there is my little tale of terror.  Every one can stop cringing now !!! :o

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/26/07 at 10:47 am

The root canal was a success! She has no pain and isn't even swelled, and it didn't hurt that the Endodontist was freakin' HOT!!  ;D 

Sorry I did in fact hijack your thread !  I am so glad her root canal went well and no swelling. LOL at the hot endodonist (I have no idea what that even is ?? a posh name for dentist ??).

Written By: La Roche on 07/26/07 at 1:10 pm

Good question !  Took me much of the year to build up the courage after living on daily penicillan and codiene for 7 months. Its also why I havent been on this board very much this year (the first half of the year is very fuzzy to me).

Basically - I had no enamel - pretty much hadnt since my adult teeth came thru in my teens. So my teeth were like pieces of unprotected chalk. They broke when I ate, they broke when I brushed, they broke when I slept, they broke when talked, they broke when I laughed. This was combined with a 25 year long extreme dental phobia that prevented me from getting them fixed.

It had reached the point where I referred to my mouth as one from Deliverance Country. I had stopped smiling - and I had stopped kissing.

Then last November a particularly annoying "toothache" pain progressed into undescribable pain that nothing could numb. I kept asking my doctors if they thought an infection could have moved into my jawbone but they decided to shut me up with more penecilan rather than sending me for tests or xrays.

I was living in a haze and making mistakes at work. I was reaching my final straw.

So I did some research in May and at the end of May I flew to Bangkok and had a 9 hour surgery where all remaining 29 broken teeth were removed - along with 2 inches of my lower jaw bone. Yes I was right - the bone had been infected all that time. It was necrotic (ie dead). They inserted 10 titanium implants and these are now integrating themselves with my jawbone.  I was in the ICU for several days because my body totally shut down after fighting such a chronic infection for 7 months.

I have temporary plastic teeth for a few months while the implants settle into the bone and then I return to Bangkok to have a full set of permenant porcelain teeth affixed to the implants.

I am not allowed to bite or chew for 3 months so I am discovering millions of different soup combinations (and dropped 2 dress sizes so far LOL). I have grown to love jelly (Jello for the US gang). I have been away from work for 2 months while I get use to speaking again. I lost the use of my tongue for a while due to such a long general aneasthetic and I have a triangle of temporary numbness from my nose to my chin to halfway across my cheek on one side - its fading and should be back to normal in a couple of months.

So - here I am being very brave and sharing with you my XTREME XRAY - so far only a few close friends and family have been shown this.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/kj68/Spare%20stuff/2007junebangkok137.jpg

Now I know the next question will be "why Bangkok". Cost was of course a big factor. Professionalism was another. Bangkok dentists currently lead the word in oral technology and their government subsides the purchase of all the incredible equipment and training - so they can do the job far cheaper than elsewhere.

Ironically - the dentist here in Perth that I got quote from (like to the tune of $140,000) was TRAINED by the Thai surgeon who ended up doing my work ! (For considerable less at around $40,000).

Coming from me I'm sure this will mean a lot to you -

You are, without a shadow of a doubt, the toughest bastard ever!!!!

Goddam!!! Chopper ain't got nothing on you!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/27/07 at 4:14 am

Coming from me I'm sure this will mean a lot to you -

You are, without a shadow of a doubt, the toughest bastard ever!!!!

Goddam!!! Chopper ain't got nothing on you!

LOL !  If Chopper ever hit me I would like to think all that metal will leave him worse for wear!

And thanks - I do take that as a compliment. I do consider this to be the biggest and bravest thing I have ever done in my 38 and a half years on earth.

Written By: karen on 07/27/07 at 4:25 am

Wowsers BMG.  :o  I hope you go on to make a full recovery.

That's great, hope she is still doing o.k.

Written By: Gis on 07/27/07 at 6:04 am

Amazing! You are *SO* brave!!! I had wondered why you hadn't been about so much this year............

I'm thinking of your jaws as having something like Wolverine's claws now.  ;D 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/27/07 at 11:49 am

Amazing! You are *SO* brave!!! I had wondered why you hadn't been about so much this year............

I'm thinking of your jaws as having something like Wolverine's claws now.  ;D 

oooh does that mean I am entitled to shag Hugh Jackman ?? :D :-*

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/27/07 at 2:00 pm

Heavens!  Poor you!  :o

Written By: gemini on 07/27/07 at 5:30 pm

Sorry I did in fact hijack your thread !  I am so glad her root canal went well and no swelling. LOL at the hot endodonist (I have no idea what that even is ?? a posh name for dentist ??).

Are you kidding? Don't worry about it.  :)  That's one of the more interesting things I've read in a long time. I hope you are on the mend and recovered soon.  BTW, an Endodontist, just a fancy name for a dentist that specializes in root canals.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/28/07 at 1:38 am

Are you kidding? Don't worry about it.  :)  That's one of the more interesting things I've read in a long time. I hope you are on the mend and recovered soon.  BTW, an Endodontist, just a fancy name for a dentist that specializes in root canals.

Ahhh ok - I must admit I had only ever had one root canal done - and that was back in the 80s and done by a normal dentist.

Yep slowly on the mend. I had a little bit of extra surgery last week where a mass of bone fragments were removed from my gums and the nasty crooked broken edges of my former teeth sockets were filed down smooth with a grinder (eeek !) as they had started cutting thru my gums and cutting my tongue and inner cheeks. I had been warned in bangkok that this would happen as it was a common occurance after such major surgery. And 2 of my friends have had major oral surgery in the past 2 years and I knew that ages later they still have minute bone fragments making their way thru their gums.

So I had a twilight aneasthetic (in the chair IV sedation) for 2 hours and woke to a mouth full of 20 stitches (I had more than 60 stitches in June and they had only just disolved!!) and the feeling that I had been smashed in the face by a baseball bat !!.

I had the stitches taken out yesterday and am looking at returning to work in a couple more weeks. Hopefully my speech will have improved by then - I practice by reading online newspapers out loud to myself each day.  Words with "S", "SH", "C", "CH"and "TH" are the most difficult.

Written By: Gis on 07/29/07 at 5:17 am

Ahhh ok - I must admit I had only ever had one root canal done - and that was back in the 80s and done by a normal dentist.

Yep slowly on the mend. I had a little bit of extra surgery last week where a mass of bone fragments were removed from my gums and the nasty crooked broken edges of my former teeth sockets were filed down smooth with a grinder (eeek !) as they had started cutting thru my gums and cutting my tongue and inner cheeks. I had been warned in bangkok that this would happen as it was a common occurance after such major surgery. And 2 of my friends have had major oral surgery in the past 2 years and I knew that ages later they still have minute bone fragments making their way thru their gums.

So I had a twilight aneasthetic (in the chair IV sedation) for 2 hours and woke to a mouth full of 20 stitches (I had more than 60 stitches in June and they had only just disolved!!) and the feeling that I had been smashed in the face by a baseball bat !!.

I had the stitches taken out yesterday and am looking at returning to work in a couple more weeks. Hopefully my speech will have improved by then - I practice by reading online newspapers out loud to myself each day.  Words with "S", "SH", "C", "CH"and "TH" are the most difficult.

Yeah I had bits of bone working out for a couple of months when I had a tooth at the back pulled.

OOoohh Hugh Jackman................

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/30/07 at 12:46 am

Yeah I had bits of bone working out for a couple of months when I had a tooth at the back pulled.

OOoohh Hugh Jackman................

Yes I was glad I had been warned about it or I would have been truly freaked out when they started coming thru !

Yes Mr Jackman and Mr Clooney have been my closest pals thru all this - I took 3 seasons of ER and my entire Jackman dvd collection with me ! Hotel tv is soooooooo dull.

Subject: Re: BMG's dental renovation- Update!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/13/07 at 3:43 am

Hi Gang.

I searched through the old threads to find this one so I could add some updates to it.

As you know - in June I went to Bangkok, Thailand to have a pretty major lot of work done in my mouth - read further above for the details.

I am now back in Bangkok starting the preparations for having my permenant porcelain teeth made and affixed to my titanium implants.

This is a little update I wrote in my blog:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Flew into Bangkok at midnight on Sunday night. I had one of those great runs of luck thru the airport. No queue at passport control so I walzted straight thru, got to the bag ramp and as I walked up there came my bag first! Walked thru customs without a queue, straight out to the greetings hall where thousands of tour companies hold signs up for passengers - there was my guy with my sign right there at the front ! He walked me out to a lovely town car that took me straight to my hotel!

Hotel is gorgeous. Centre Point Petchburi 15. Far far nicer than the one I was at last time. This is a suite with a kitchen etc. Massive king size bed that isnt two beds pushed together - so no nasty seam down the middle!

Anyway - by the time I checked in, went to my room, unpacked, showered away the sweat of the plane and airport etc it was 3am so I went to bed !

Monday morning I sussed out the complimentry breakfast buffet. Not very exciting. Lots of asian foods and then baked beans, toasts, pancakes etc. So I had pancakes without syryp because some greedy sod took the entire jug away ! I put strawberry jam on them instead.

Then I caught a taxi out the the prosthetics lab. 

While sitting in the waiting room I got chatting to a man from Seattle who realised he knew me from a travel forum and he and his wife were here seeing my dentists because of all the stories I had written on the forum !  Then another lady Liz arrived who was from Sydney and was here solely because of my recommendations - her mouth was similar to mine and so she had the identical work.  Apparently there is a couple from Alaska here as well that came because of my reports on the travel forum but I havent run into them yet !  They are staying two hotels away.

My day in the lab was not the best. Of course all the staff greeted me like a long lost friend - hugs galore. And they were tickled pink that I had brought back copies of all the photos I took of them on my last trip.
But they had warned me by email that the procedures were not going to be pleasant. First I had to have my top gums re cut open to access some of the implants.
Honestly - as enormously phobic as I am - when Dr R said "all done" I asked him if he had finished looking at my mouth - and he said "no I have finished giving you 6 injections and cutting your excess gums away" !!!!!!!!!!!! 
I swear I felt ZILCH. Not a slightest hint that a needle was in my mouth - not a thing. I didnt even realise he had both hands in my mouth plus a needle and scalpel !
Unbelievable.  Liz and I just have no idea what it is that Thais do differently but its clear thai kids dont grow up with phobias about needles and dentists !

Anyway then I had to have the new molds taken. This was the bad bit. First they attach spikes to your implants - then insert a big frame into your mouth that gets filled with a liquid that becomes putty and hardens then they pull it and the spikes out together. Now the bottom jaw was so so - it felt freaky but tolerable - had to keep the frame of putty in your mouth for 7 minutes and that feels like such a long time.

But then it was time for the uppers. That was a whole dif story. The putty hits the gag reflex of the back of your throat and you cant help gagging. Even tho your brain knows you can just breath thru your nose - part of you forgets this and is convinced you cant breathe - its like drowning. 

So then the gagging gets worse and worse and because there is nowhere to go and 3 sets of hands are holding this thing in your mouth - well lets just say it turned into a massive panic attack and I was crying and vomiting and having shooting pains across my chest and shoulders. 

Dr R was so good - he of course sees every patient do this and he knows its the worst bit. He just calmly kept reminding me to breathe slowly thru my nose while one staff member massages my feet, and another my shoulders.

In the 7 minutes it took for the putty to dry I had 3 separate panic attacks. So scarey.  But as Dr R says - 14 minutes in total is not so bad when you get permenant teeth as a result.

Anyway - because I was so tense in the chair etc my shoulders and neck and back have totally siezed up. So today I will go wandering the alley and get a massage.  They gave me a rest day today!  Tomorrow I return to try out the frame for size. Not sure what the next stages are after that!

And I chose my porcelain colours. Its natural B1 !  Its not hollywood white - more a natural shade. And I also asked if it was possible to have taller bottom teeth and shorter upper teeth - because when I smile I usually only show my top teeth and it would be nice if both could be seen ! So they have taken this into account with measurements and draw them into one of the putty molds !

Weatherwise its no where near as oppressive as last time. You can stand outside for 5 minutes and not be drenched in humid sweat. Its still humid and hot - but milder than June.

Anyway - Dr R assures me yesterday was the worst day for me. The rest of the weeks will just be fittings - no more yucky molds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested in the real gory details (photos and all) about having implants and having it done in a foreign country etc - I have built a little website about the story from start to finish - it contains all the sort of advice I would have liked to have found out about before I started this process. So far it has helped several people make some major life changing decisions.
Please message me privately for the link if its something you want to take a look at. I dont recommend looking if you are squeamish - I feel I have really revealed myself to the world by putting the photos up - considering I didnt smile in photos for decades - here I am putting up close ups of broken teeth !

ciao from sweaty Bangkok
BMG

Subject: Re: BMG's dental renovation- Update!

Written By: La Roche on 11/13/07 at 3:33 pm

Hi Gang.

I searched through the old threads to find this one so I could add some updates to it.

As you know - in June I went to Bangkok, Thailand to have a pretty major lot of work done in my mouth - read further above for the details.

I am now back in Bangkok starting the preparations for having my permenant porcelain teeth made and affixed to my titanium implants.

This is a little update I wrote in my blog:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Flew into Bangkok at midnight on Sunday night. I had one of those great runs of luck thru the airport. No queue at passport control so I walzted straight thru, got to the bag ramp and as I walked up there came my bag first! Walked thru customs without a queue, straight out to the greetings hall where thousands of tour companies hold signs up for passengers - there was my guy with my sign right there at the front ! He walked me out to a lovely town car that took me straight to my hotel!

Hotel is gorgeous. Centre Point Petchburi 15. Far far nicer than the one I was at last time. This is a suite with a kitchen etc. Massive king size bed that isnt two beds pushed together - so no nasty seam down the middle!

Anyway - by the time I checked in, went to my room, unpacked, showered away the sweat of the plane and airport etc it was 3am so I went to bed !

Monday morning I sussed out the complimentry breakfast buffet. Not very exciting. Lots of asian foods and then baked beans, toasts, pancakes etc. So I had pancakes without syryp because some greedy sod took the entire jug away ! I put strawberry jam on them instead.

Then I caught a taxi out the the prosthetics lab. 

While sitting in the waiting room I got chatting to a man from Seattle who realised he knew me from a travel forum and he and his wife were here seeing my dentists because of all the stories I had written on the forum !  Then another lady Liz arrived who was from Sydney and was here solely because of my recommendations - her mouth was similar to mine and so she had the identical work.  Apparently there is a couple from Alaska here as well that came because of my reports on the travel forum but I havent run into them yet !  They are staying two hotels away.

My day in the lab was not the best. Of course all the staff greeted me like a long lost friend - hugs galore. And they were tickled pink that I had brought back copies of all the photos I took of them on my last trip.
But they had warned me by email that the procedures were not going to be pleasant. First I had to have my top gums re cut open to access some of the implants.
Honestly - as enormously phobic as I am - when Dr R said "all done" I asked him if he had finished looking at my mouth - and he said "no I have finished giving you 6 injections and cutting your excess gums away" !!!!!!!!!!!! 
I swear I felt ZILCH. Not a slightest hint that a needle was in my mouth - not a thing. I didnt even realise he had both hands in my mouth plus a needle and scalpel !
Unbelievable.  Liz and I just have no idea what it is that Thais do differently but its clear thai kids dont grow up with phobias about needles and dentists !

Anyway then I had to have the new molds taken. This was the bad bit. First they attach spikes to your implants - then insert a big frame into your mouth that gets filled with a liquid that becomes putty and hardens then they pull it and the spikes out together. Now the bottom jaw was so so - it felt freaky but tolerable - had to keep the frame of putty in your mouth for 7 minutes and that feels like such a long time.

But then it was time for the uppers. That was a whole dif story. The putty hits the gag reflex of the back of your throat and you cant help gagging. Even tho your brain knows you can just breath thru your nose - part of you forgets this and is convinced you cant breathe - its like drowning. 

So then the gagging gets worse and worse and because there is nowhere to go and 3 sets of hands are holding this thing in your mouth - well lets just say it turned into a massive panic attack and I was crying and vomiting and having shooting pains across my chest and shoulders. 

Dr R was so good - he of course sees every patient do this and he knows its the worst bit. He just calmly kept reminding me to breathe slowly thru my nose while one staff member massages my feet, and another my shoulders.

In the 7 minutes it took for the putty to dry I had 3 separate panic attacks. So scarey.  But as Dr R says - 14 minutes in total is not so bad when you get permenant teeth as a result.

Anyway - because I was so tense in the chair etc my shoulders and neck and back have totally siezed up. So today I will go wandering the alley and get a massage.  They gave me a rest day today!  Tomorrow I return to try out the frame for size. Not sure what the next stages are after that!

And I chose my porcelain colours. Its natural B1 !  Its not hollywood white - more a natural shade. And I also asked if it was possible to have taller bottom teeth and shorter upper teeth - because when I smile I usually only show my top teeth and it would be nice if both could be seen ! So they have taken this into account with measurements and draw them into one of the putty molds !

Weatherwise its no where near as oppressive as last time. You can stand outside for 5 minutes and not be drenched in humid sweat. Its still humid and hot - but milder than June.

Anyway - Dr R assures me yesterday was the worst day for me. The rest of the weeks will just be fittings - no more yucky molds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested in the real gory details (photos and all) about having implants and having it done in a foreign country etc - I have built a little website about the story from start to finish - it contains all the sort of advice I would have liked to have found out about before I started this process. So far it has helped several people make some major life changing decisions.
Please message me privately for the link if its something you want to take a look at. I dont recommend looking if you are squeamish - I feel I have really revealed myself to the world by putting the photos up - considering I didnt smile in photos for decades - here I am putting up close ups of broken teeth !

ciao from sweaty Bangkok
BMG

That is totally freakin brutal!

I'd love to see what they do.

Written By: karen on 11/14/07 at 7:59 am

Thanks for the update BMG.  Hope the rest of the week goes well.

Written By: Gis on 11/14/07 at 11:15 am

Karma to you and your (soon to be disguised under gorgeous sparkly teeth) wolverine implants.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/15/07 at 9:16 pm

Karma to you and your (soon to be disguised under gorgeous sparkly teeth) wolverine implants.

LOL- what a cute way to describe it !!!!

On Wednesday I was Jaws from the old Roger Moore James Bond films !

I had to spend the day trying on the metal frames that had been made from Mondays molds. These are slightly smaller that I realised because the porcelain is then built over the frames. So I have some spectacular photos of a full blown metal mouth !

They ended up having to cut the top one into 3 pieces to fit it properly - then they gave up and spent 3 hours molding a fresh one because the top just wasnt right. So I read a book and listened to music while they built the fresh one.

That day wasnt freaky and frightening like Monday and the panic attacks. It was more just arduous - having mouth open for hours at a time.

Later that night after dinner my left side of my face starting blowing up like the Elephant Man. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to something but it was only one side. You could see the gland near my ear getting so massive that I could no longer see my ear!  Anyway it reduced over night so I went out for the day with a fellow patient from Sydney. But it was her who noticed when ever we ate - my face blew up. So she has diagnosed a blocked or infected saliva gland.

I am due back at the prosthetics lab in a few hours so I will speak to Dr R then and see what he thinks and if he can prescribe me some antibiotics.

Today I apparently try on the first draft of the porcelains.  Weeheeee.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/17/07 at 4:03 am

Hi all.

I spent friday trying on the draft versions of my porcelain bridges. Some changes to be made to their fittings and shape and colour - the one I chose looks fine when not in my mouth - but when in my mouth against my skin and lip tones - well it looks yellow ! So I have reselected a whiter shade.

So they are rebuilding the porcelains today and I visit the lab again on Saturday for more tryouts.

Written By: Gis on 11/17/07 at 4:28 am

Good luck you. Did they give you antibiotics? I hope you face is back how it should be anyway!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/18/07 at 10:51 am

Yes indeed they gave me a good course of penicillan and its doing the job.Swelling has gone and the left gland almost matches the right gland again !!!

Todays update:
-----------------------------------
18 November 2007, Sunday.

Well, last night I met up with a lovely couple from Alaska and we had a fabulous Italian meal together and gossiped about dental procedures etc. Terry is having some pretty major surgery on Tuesday - he needs plates inserted above his jaw to attach the implant screws to because he has so little jawbone left. I will catch up with them again a couple of days after his surgery and escort them to the prosthetics lab.

Today I went back to the lab to see the changes made to the porcelain bridges. They are now less yellow and the top front two teeth are shorter. The top side teeth have been reshaped at the top where they meet the gums.

They have sent me away to give them a test run for a few days. Eating meat and crunchy things etc. Seeing what I like or dont like about them. I return on Tuesday to have any necessary changes made.

Liz from Sydney came out to meet me at the lab and share her tale of being bitten on the leg by a teething baby tiger the day before !  We travelled back to my hotel together and went to the hotel restuarant where I dined on an actual pork chop !!!!!! I actually chewed meat properly for the first time in years. And it was accompanied by crispy asparagus and baby corn and carrots. I chewed ! I masticated !(dont misread that!!!!). For desert we had icecream and I let it rest on my teeth! You cannot understand what its like to do that after so many years.

Its also lovely to have the roof of my mouth back. To actually be able to taste your food as you chew it - and not taste a nasty plastic denture.

So for the next 30 hours or so I am going to purposely eat things I have avoided for years - I may even try a crunchy bread roll!

And I am going to repeat the alphabet over and over and retrain my tongue. Its had to adjust to the shape of the denture since June and now there is another whole new shape in there to talk around.

Tomorrow I think I might actually venture across the 10 lanes of traffic to the huge IT store opposite the hotel. Its about 10 storeys so I am sure even I could find a treat to buy !

ciao for now from me with a permenant set of teeth on their first trial run !

Written By: karen on 11/18/07 at 10:58 am

Sounds great BMG.

All those foods you've been avoiding for years - don't go mad!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/19/07 at 7:46 am

Sounds great BMG.

All those foods you've been avoiding for years - don't go mad!

LOL so true - I think I will double in size in the next 12 months as I rediscover great food !!!!

Written By: Gis on 11/19/07 at 2:19 pm

LOL so true - I think I will double in size in the next 12 months as I rediscover great food !!!!
Lol Enjoy!!!!!!  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/19/07 at 8:44 pm

hey I can always pop back here to Thailand to get liposuction !!!!! ;D ;D ;D :o

Check for new replies or respond here...