inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What scares you now ...?

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 3:53 am

What are some things that scare you now?

For me ...

- Whenever I get calls from that 000-000-000 number; I see it on my call display and it sort of freeks me out .. it's like i'm getting a call from someone who doesn't exist :o

- Being in a house in the country at night.  My dad lives out in the country, and when I used to go visit him, I had the most restless sleeps ever.  I could hear wolves howling outside, and frogs croaking.  I cannot sleep in total silence.  I need lots of noise to be able to fall asleep

Subject: Re: What scares you now ...?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 4:02 am

for starters?  everything!  ;D  J/K,    my 18 year old daughter driving all over the place scares me. sudden loud noises startle me and big dogs like pitbulls and dobermans and rottweillers kind of scare me.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/13/07 at 4:07 am

Loud noises and bees. I've always been scared of bees, particularly wasps and Japanese Hornets. If you ever get stung by the latter, you'll know it by the "it looks like someone stabbed you with an icepick" wound they leave.

Loud noises mainly piss me off, but, having seen a few electrical boxes go off like fireworks in my face, I think that particular fear is well justified.

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 4:11 am

for starters?  everything!   ;D  J/K,    my 18 year old daughter driving all over the place scares me. sudden loud noises startle me and big dogs like pitbulls and dobermans and rottweillers kind of scare me.

Big dogs top my list too.  When I was a paperboy in my teens, the streets I had, just about every house had a big dog.  There was one big shaggy dog who didn't like me, and one day almost attacked me before his master called him off me.  Everytime I saw that dog from then on, he was inside his house, barking at me through the front window.  I got the best of him though.  I would lunge at him just to purposely piss him off, and one time he got barking so crazily, that he ended up knocking down the curtains in the window, as well as a plastic flowerpot that landed on his head ;D

Loud noises and bees. I've always been scared of bees, particularly wasps and Japanese Hornets. If you ever get stung by the latter, you'll know it by the "it looks like someone stabbed you with an icepick" wound they leave.

Loud noises mainly piss me off, but, having seen a few electrical boxes go off like fireworks in my face, I think that particular fear is well justified.

When I was a kid, I saw fireworks come from one of those big green electrical boxes you sometimes see on people's lawns.  The box had shorted out, and not soon after made a small explosion.  The people who lived at that house had kids, and often when I'd come home from school, I'd see them sitting on it.  Cant imagine the horror had that box exploded with someone sitting on it :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/07 at 9:15 am

ok...where do I begin? I have a lot of strange phobias...

I hate heights, large objects in the sky (airplanes, hot air balloons, blimps, catching a glimpse of a large water tower, those BIG windmills....ah gosh, those are so scary), I hate sunflowers...they are so big for a flower..my neighbors have some in their backyard, and everytime I look out my bedroom window...there they are! I hate sharks and armadillos. Oh, and clowns are very scary.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/13/07 at 10:51 am

Spiders...I hate spiders. 

I don't like clowns.

Swimming in the ocean.  I don't go out past my ankles.  ;D

Horseshoe crabs.  YUCK!!!

Written By: Southern Image on 07/13/07 at 10:52 am

Heights, spiders, and BIG BLACK BEES!

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 12:31 pm

Reptiles still scare me.  If I see a frog or a turtle, I will scream like a little girl :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/07 at 1:11 pm

So much.

-Losing Carlos
-Flying
-Needles
-Bees/wasps
-George W. Bush & Company
-Losing my vision completely
-Getting into a car accident

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 07/13/07 at 2:22 pm

really high winds, static, blackouts, terrorists

Written By: Howard on 07/13/07 at 3:28 pm

cloud to ground lightning
bees
Merry Go Round (where you get stuck up there for a few seconds and you can't help but look down)  :o

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/13/07 at 3:42 pm

cloud to ground lightning
bees
Merry Go Round (where you get stuck up there for a few seconds and you can't help but look down)  :o

I think you mean Ferris Wheel.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/13/07 at 3:59 pm

Oh That's right Lorac,Thanks Ferris Wheel.I have nightmares about what if the Ferris wheel broke off and I plummeted to my death? :(

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 07/13/07 at 4:19 pm

Death scares me now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 4:21 pm

Death scares me now.
I was wanting to say that, when you get on in life, it (in one way) is on your mind, but you soon shrug if off.

Written By: KKay on 07/13/07 at 4:33 pm

oh yeah; and breaking down alone on the road.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/13/07 at 4:36 pm

Just the other day, a huge bee was hovering near an area I was watering and it scared me so much that I actually dropped the hose and ran to the front of the house. I waited a bit and saw he had left, so I resumed, but I was still frightened. Whenever I see a bee I recall an incident that happened when I was about 4 or 5 years old and being stung by one. I never forgot it!

Other things that scare me are:

- Paranormal activity
- Losing certain people in my life.
- Driving in areas I'm not familiar with.
- Being stuck in an elevator.
- My own thoughts  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/13/07 at 7:34 pm

Death scares me now.

I was wanting to say that, when you get on in life, it (in one way) is on your mind, but you soon shrug if off.

I'm not afraid of dying as long as it's a peaceful death.  ;D

I am afraid of drowning...even though I'm a good swimmer.

I'm not afraid of big dogs, little dogs scare me.  They nip and yap. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/07 at 8:31 pm

Two things:

Women and the police!
;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/07 at 11:07 pm

ok...where do I begin? I have a lot of strange phobias...

I hate heights, large objects in the sky (airplanes, hot air balloons, blimps, catching a glimpse of a large water tower, those BIG windmills....ah gosh, those are so scary), I hate sunflowers...they are so big for a flower..my neighbors have some in their backyard, and everytime I look out my bedroom window...there they are! I hate sharks and armadillos. Oh, and clowns are very scary.

Yeah, I don't like heights either. Or anything that goes upside down, for that matter. Last time I went on a coaster which did that, I was white knuckled, lol.

Oh, and I'm still a little jumpy about that Tom Petty music video. ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/13/07 at 11:10 pm

Losing my hubby
Being broke and homeless
Being lost (especially in a neighborhood with rich people in it...weird huh?)
Loud noises
Snakes, spiders, PRAYING MANTIS (terrify me), Walking sticks (insects)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/13/07 at 11:14 pm

Helium balloons (especially when they pop! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!)
Any insects and creepy-crawlies

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/13/07 at 11:14 pm

Illnesses, annoying things happening (Hard to explain), odd numbers...

Edit: The "annoying things happening" is like... when you let your computer sit too long and the monitor turns off... I HATE that! I always make sure I move the mouse every twenty minutes or so when I'm not on it so the monitor won't do that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/07 at 11:15 pm

Lots of people mentioned clowns - I think they'd be less scary if they were more like Krusty. ;)

Written By: audkal on 07/13/07 at 11:39 pm

Losing loved-ones
Rape
Heights
Deep water

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/14/07 at 1:53 am

Two things:

Women and the police!
;)
How about female police officers?

Written By: Howard on 07/14/07 at 6:43 am

Two things:

Women and the police!
;)

women scare you? that's prespammersite. ;D

Written By: spaceace on 07/14/07 at 10:39 am

Christian Conservatives

heights

some teens (maybe it's because I'm getting old)

snakes

Written By: gemini on 07/14/07 at 11:07 am

Ferris Wheels scare me too.  I don't like the idea of being stuck way up there moving back and forth in the wind. 

- Driving in areas I'm not familiar with.

I don't like that either. I get this terrible anxiety when I know I have to go somewhere that I don't know where it is.
I'm not really afraid of dying, just what happens after I die, like leaving my girls and my famiily.  I always had this feeling I was going to die in a car wreck, now I think I'm going to die of cancer.  Yea, I know, I'm just a ray of sunshine  :D

Written By: KKay on 07/14/07 at 11:37 am

going to the doctor.

Written By: audkal on 07/14/07 at 1:45 pm

Christian Conservatives

There's no reason to be afraid of me.  ;)    http://www.fanforum.com/images/smilies/hug.gif

Written By: spaceace on 07/14/07 at 1:49 pm

There's no reason to be afraid of me.  ;)    http://www.fanforum.com/images/smilies/hug.gif

The ones that bully, frighten me.  There are the very few who almost become physically aggressive.  But most are okay.

Written By: audkal on 07/14/07 at 1:56 pm

That's understandable. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/14/07 at 6:48 pm

On a serious note, if I had to pick one thing that really does scare me, it's the future. Just the fact that every day we move a little more out of our comfort zone and the familarity we've always known. We're always transitioning to a different stage of life, never knowing what will happen next or really getting to stay in one place too long. That can be uncomfortable, especially when you feel like the best stuff is behind you.

If it stayed 2007 forever, I could stand that, but pretty soon this will be old-school too. It's almost heartbreaking how old the '80s and even '90s are getting.

Whenever I see a show or a clip from the actual 1980s where people are going on about how much better the '50s and '60s were (especially if it was Baby Boomers who miss their childhood or very early adolescence they had then), it's like I know exactly what they mean now.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/07 at 6:51 pm

Yellowjackets.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/14/07 at 9:36 pm

On a serious note, if I had to pick one thing that really does scare me, it's the future. Just the fact that every day we move a little more out of our comfort zone and the familarity we've always known. We're always transitioning to a different stage of life, never knowing what will happen next or really getting to stay in one place too long. That can be uncomfortable, especially when you feel like the best stuff is behind you.

If it stayed 2007 forever, I could stand that, but pretty soon this will be old-school too. It's almost heartbreaking how old the '80s and even '90s are getting.

Whenever I see a show or a clip from the actual 1980s where people are going on about how much better the '50s and '60s were (especially if it was Baby Boomers who miss their childhood or very early adolescence they had then), it's like I know exactly what they mean now.

Every moment's built to last when you're living without a past...

Written By: audkal on 07/14/07 at 9:53 pm

Really couldn't agree more Marty.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/07 at 9:55 pm

Really couldn't agree more Marty.

I second that! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 10:35 pm

There are some people who live everyday in fear wondering if there will be a tomorrow.  The future can be a scary thing.  The way the world is today .. terrorist attacks, global warming, the garbage crisis, there may NOT be a tomorrow :\'(

I find it's best not to think about that though.  If that day ever comes, then I will start to worry.  For now, I try to think about positive things

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/14/07 at 10:42 pm

First, some prior comments I want to address:

Whistledog:
What scares you now ...?
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:53:33 AM »

I cannot sleep in total silence.  I need lots of noise to be able to fall asleep

Well you're welcome to the barking dogs that make heaps of noise and wake me up! What's your address ... I'll send them 'first class!'  ;) :D

MaxwellSmart
Two things:

Women and the police!
  ;)

Well, as far as the police, my recommendation would be 'Don't stand so close to me ... them!'

As for women ...yes I have that one too. Once bitten ... or should I say, savagely mauled ... definitely twice shy.

Marty McFly
Re: What scares you now ...?
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 11:15:06 PM »
Lots of people mentioned clowns - I think they'd be less scary if they were more like Krusty.  ;)

Hi Marty .. Well I like to clown around ( just ...sometimes). Also, being 'long in the tooth' .. well that probably makes me Crusty  :D

Philip Eno
« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:53:22 AM »
How about female police officers?

Scare me? No! 'Bring it on'!  :-*  The chance to  take turns slapping the cuffs on each other! Bondage .... 'way to go!'  ;D  8)

Spaceace
« Reply #31 on: Today at 01:49:31 PM »
The ones that bully, frighten me.  There are the very few who almost become physically aggressive.  But most are okay.

Yes most of the girls I went out with were fine. The last one though ... used to kick and thump me to the point of bruising. I never ever hit her first. Still after a minutes worth of covering up ... I ain't gonna be a punching bag ALL night!  >:(

Anyone what scares me?

Frigging cyclists on the pavement(sidewalk) coming towards you at breakneck speed! Or appearing over your shoulder from behind when you never knew they were there ... perhaps deep in thought, or even talking to yourself ('first sign of madness? Ok, I confess!  ;D ). I often want to punch them out!  >:( >:(

The idea of my Mum dying and whether I can face life afterwards.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Looking in the mirror one day to see no trace of my youth left. :\'(

That'll do for now.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/07 at 7:31 pm

breaking up with my galpal.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/15/07 at 7:42 pm

breaking up with my galpal.

Then don't?

Written By: Howard on 07/15/07 at 7:43 pm

Then don't?

Maybe it scares her since we both have feelings for each other.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/15/07 at 8:33 pm

Spiders.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/07 at 4:18 pm

loud noises.

Written By: KKay on 07/16/07 at 9:04 pm

when Bode gets out of the yard.

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/07 at 11:40 pm

I almost missed an important one .. the sound of Ice cracking in the winter time scares the hell out of me. 

Back a few years ago, I was hit in the head by a chunk of ice that fell off a building, which split my head open, requiring several stitches to heal it.  I was wearing a cap at the time, which softened the blow, probably saving my life.  I've read and heard so many stories about people being killed by falling ice, I kept thinking that might have happened to me, and the thought that I could have died still has me in tears some nights :\'(

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/17/07 at 12:03 am

Rodents......but it's not the normal "eeek, it's a mouse" scared.....I'm talking petrified, running, screaming, throwing up at the sight of them scared.....even if they're dead :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/17/07 at 5:08 pm

Michael jackson...EEK!  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 6:24 am

Angry gophers lurking around corners.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/08 at 4:46 pm

mockingbirds.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/10/08 at 12:55 am

Cars driving by me at night.

Being talked to by strangers.

Being around those under the influence of FOREIGN SUBSTANCES *Fart.*

Written By: Howard on 05/10/08 at 7:25 am

women breaking up with me.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/08 at 4:41 pm

Cars driving by me at night.

Being talked to by strangers.

Being around those under the influence of FOREIGN SUBSTANCES *Fart.*
Farting strangers in cars at night?

Written By: Howard on 05/10/08 at 6:03 pm

Farting strangers in cars at night?

or maybe your relatives farting. :o ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/08 at 3:26 am

or maybe your relatives farting. :o ;D
With relatives, it is understandable.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/08 at 5:50 am

With relatives, it is understandable.

That's scary.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/08 at 6:35 am

That's scary.
You know the exploits of your relatives better than strangers.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/11/08 at 1:17 pm

The lunatic bus going at speeds less the 50 mph

Written By: Howard on 05/11/08 at 4:51 pm

break-ups.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 1:10 am

The lunatic bus going at speeds less the 50 mph
...any lunatic bus?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/08 at 6:41 am

powerful thunderstorms during the summer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 6:44 am

powerful thunderstorms during the summer.
London had thunderstorms last Saturday afternoon, which totally came unexpectly.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/08 at 7:02 am

London had thunderstorms last Saturday afternoon, which totally came unexpectly.

Were they scary?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 7:14 am

Were they scary?
The thunderstorms caught me by surprise

Written By: ninny on 05/13/08 at 6:04 am

The thought of something bad happening to my kids or husband
Dying

Written By: Howard on 05/13/08 at 6:45 am

The thought of something bad happening to my kids or husband
Dying

That scares me too Ninny. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...