inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What would you do if your bank accidently puts £135,000 into your account

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/07 at 5:15 am

Base on this story Mum blows £135,000 after bank blunder.

Went reading your bank statement you find that your bank has over paid you with an excessive amount.

Personally, I would wait a while to see if an error has been made.

What would you do?

Subject: Re: What would you do if your bank accidently puts £135,000 into your account

Written By: spaceace on 07/18/07 at 10:07 am

If it's the banks mistake and you blow the cash, you're probably be forced to pay it back.  I'd call the bank up and ask some questions.

Subject: Re: What would you do if your bank accidently puts £135,000 into your account

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/18/07 at 10:21 am

If I found a large sum of money in my account, I would go to the bank right away and clear it up. 

If they said that it wasn't a mistake, I would get it in writing and then go shopping.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/07 at 10:32 am

I'd take out all the money, then close the account down, so that way if it was a mistake, not my problem :D

Written By: danootaandme on 07/18/07 at 4:13 pm

I once had 1500 deposited in my account in error.  It was when they first started using ATMs.  I was working at a bank and a friend in that division said just keep quiet, let it sit for a bit over a month and if it is still there withdraw.  A month later I got myself a car.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/07 at 7:29 pm

I'd keep and spend it,I'm selfish. ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/19/07 at 12:46 am

I'd go in and demand they keep their stinking money out of my account  >:(

Written By: Brian06 on 07/19/07 at 2:52 am

If they make a mistake like that, then I think they deserve to suffer the consequences of it (me spending it lol).

Written By: Gis on 07/19/07 at 3:42 am

Wait, and if they don't claim it back SPEND!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/19/07 at 3:44 am

Consider it a gift  ;)

Written By: NbC on 07/19/07 at 4:51 am

I will leave it alone.  I won't go out of my way to inform them of their error.  It is the banks error afterall.  Eventually, they will realize the mistake and correct it. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/07 at 4:53 am

Consider it a gift  ;)
...remembering that gifts are tax free!

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/19/07 at 9:58 am

I understand it's the bank's mistake but it's dishonest to keep it. 

Also, someone might lose thier job over it.  I understand it was put into the wrong account, but people make mistakes. 

I'm sure if for some reason the bank took money out of your account by mistake you would be waiting at the door when they opened to correct the error. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/19/07 at 11:30 am

Ya, I wouldn't touch it...because with the luck that I have...they would catch me and make me pay it all back.

Written By: spaceace on 07/19/07 at 11:35 am

Ya, I wouldn't touch it...because with the luck that I have...they would catch me and make me pay it all back.

I think that's the standard rule in PA.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/19/07 at 11:38 am

I think that's the standard rule in PA.

banks have glitches all the time....but it never seems to be their fault if you account gets screwed up. That's what I hate about them...yet, I'm not quite trustworthy enough to keep all of my money hidden in buried jars. :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/19/07 at 1:53 pm

I'd ask them if I could keep it.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/07 at 7:59 pm

I'd ask them if I could keep it.

And then I'd buy a house. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/07 at 8:21 pm

Reminds me of an old Mama's Family episode where Mama used the ATM for the first time, and it shot all kinds of twenties out at her.  The next day, she goes to the bank, and sees a man complaining that the exact amount of money she was accidentally given was the same amount that mysteriosly vanished from his account ;D

Written By: spaceace on 07/20/07 at 3:24 am

banks have glitches all the time....but it never seems to be their fault if you account gets screwed up. That's what I hate about them...yet, I'm not quite trustworthy enough to keep all of my money hidden in buried jars. :D

They alway claim computer error.  But it's your error if you spend it.

Written By: Gis on 07/20/07 at 3:28 am

I the U.K if they don't notice within a period of time it's either 2 or 3 years it's yours to keep.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/07 at 3:28 am

I the U.K if they don't notice within a period of time it's either 2 or 3 years it's yours to keep.
... 2 or 3 years? I cannot wait that long!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/20/07 at 1:17 pm

Reminds me of an old Mama's Family episode where Mama used the ATM for the first time, and it shot all kinds of twenties out at her.  The next day, she goes to the bank, and sees a man complaining that the exact amount of money she was accidentally given was the same amount that mysteriosly vanished from his account ;D

OMG! That was such a funny episode, I almost forgot about that....speaking of, they need to release MORE seasons of that show...but anyways!! LOL! ;D

They alway claim computer error.  But it's your error if you spend it.

exactly.

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/07 at 1:21 pm

I just wouldn't say anything, in fact, I'd ensure that there was no major activity going on with my account for as long as possible.

I did have this happen once, but it wasn't a bank error. A company I used to work for kept paying me for almost 6 weeks after I left. I didn't mention it, eventually the payments stopped.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 1:51 pm

... 2 or 3 years? I cannot wait that long!

Why such a long time period?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/07 at 2:00 pm

Why such a long time period?  ???
To let the money settle in the account, the interest build up, and hope that the bank still do not notice.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 2:02 pm

To let the money settle in the account, the interest build up, and hope that the bank still do not notice.

How much money will build up? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/07 at 2:03 pm

How much money will build up? ???
The interest will make it more, but the rate will vary

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 2:05 pm

The interest will make it more, but the rate will vary

what's the name of this bank? ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/07 at 2:05 pm

what's the name of this bank? ;D
Any bank of which your money is in.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 2:09 pm

Any bank of which your money is in.

I'll withdrawl it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/07 at 2:15 pm

I'll withdrawl it.
Straight away?

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 2:28 pm

Straight away?

I could buy a house with it,Could I or would I need more money? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/07 at 2:34 pm

I could buy a house with it,Could I or would I need more money? ???
To live in central London, you would certainly need more.

Check for new replies or respond here...