inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question about web page programming

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/19/07 at 5:27 am

I'm not sure how to word this question, so bare with me.

A little background history.

I created my own webpage from scratch (learned HTML coding - and did not use the web page builders software that is out there, because I like to learn new skills).  My very first webpage was in 1998 and is located at geocities (a free webpage host).  Somewhere along the line, Yahoo bought geocities, and merged all their services together so that one password you would have access to your e-mail, yahoo messenger, your groups (message boards), yahoo chat, and geocities.  OK, fast forward to a week ago...my yahoo e-mail gets hacked and the person changes my password AND on my profile they delightfully put that my ID is now *pwned* by whatever handle the person is using, and that my location is whatever little clever thing they put there. 
I can deal with losing my e-mail (although it ticks me off because that is my very first e-mail account and I still get e-mail there from various geneology sources from questions I've posted on geneology message boards years ago.)  What breaks my heart is that my geocities webpage is also non-accessible to me now.  There were pictures that I did not have linked (coded) into my webpage, and me, being scatterbrained, I did not print out a directory of the files I have stored there.  My webpage still comes up so they didn't change anything that I can see) so I've been furiously trying to save any and all information and pictures that I had on that webpage while it's still there.  I've written to Yahoo three times now about the problem and they have not even acknowledged that they had gotten my report a problem.  I am so frustrated.

Sometimes when I've looked for pictures on other people's websites, a directory of all the photos that they have comes up...I guess it would be called a...parent index (I guess that's the term).  Here is one example:
http://www.d21c.com/akasher/CATS-2/?S=D

Is there any way that I can get into a index of MY website that has been corrupted?  Or is that something I should have set up while I still had access to my index?

Any suggestions would be wildly and greatly appreciated

Subject: Re: Question about web page programming

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/07 at 7:42 am

I'm not sure how to word this question, so bare with me.

A little background history.

I created my own webpage from scratch (learned HTML coding - and did not use the web page builders software that is out there, because I like to learn new skills).  My very first webpage was in 1998 and is located at geocities (a free webpage host).  Somewhere along the line, Yahoo bought geocities, and merged all their services together so that one password you would have access to your e-mail, yahoo messenger, your groups (message boards), yahoo chat, and geocities.  OK, fast forward to a week ago...my yahoo e-mail gets hacked and the person changes my password AND on my profile they delightfully put that my ID is now *pwned* by whatever handle the person is using, and that my location is whatever little clever thing they put there. 
I can deal with losing my e-mail (although it ticks me off because that is my very first e-mail account and I still get e-mail there from various geneology sources from questions I've posted on geneology message boards years ago.)  What breaks my heart is that my geocities webpage is also non-accessible to me now.  There were pictures that I did not have linked (coded) into my webpage, and me, being scatterbrained, I did not print out a directory of the files I have stored there.  My webpage still comes up so they didn't change anything that I can see) so I've been furiously trying to save any and all information and pictures that I had on that webpage while it's still there.  I've written to Yahoo three times now about the problem and they have not even acknowledged that they had gotten my report a problem.  I am so frustrated.

Sometimes when I've looked for pictures on other people's websites, a directory of all the photos that they have comes up...I guess it would be called a...parent index (I guess that's the term).  Here is one example:
http://www.d21c.com/akasher/CATS-2/?S=D

Is there any way that I can get into a index of MY website that has been corrupted?  Or is that something I should have set up while I still had access to my index?

Any suggestions would be wildly and greatly appreciated

hackers are a pain in the rear.

As for getting a directory listing, unless the server is configured for it and there is no default file in the directory, you won't be able to do it.  If everything is linked from a web page, you could try and find a program that will make a copy of a web site (follows all links and downloads all files it finds).  I've never used one, so I couldn't recommend one though.

Check for new replies or respond here...