inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite American State

Written By: Bubbly on 07/20/07 at 1:00 am

My vote is California.

Subject: Re: Favorite American State

Written By: spaceace on 07/20/07 at 4:01 am

Maine :)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/20/07 at 5:45 am

Massachusetts  :) 

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/20/07 at 8:03 am

I have only been in three.  Of those, I spent about three minutes in Arizona after walking across Hoover Dam, so I cannot comment.

Nevada was from whence I walked (obviously) but all I saw was Hoover Dam and Vegas.  I thought Vegas fairly sucked, so that's not a winner either  ::)

That leaves California  ;)  Where I visited my good friend  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 07/20/07 at 8:28 am

Not having been there - I'll have to say Virginia - as it is where my friends are living.

Who, incidently, will be here over the weekend  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/07 at 10:24 am

Does anyone have any doubt-VERMONT!!!!

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/07 at 10:28 am

Ill-E-Noize.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/07 at 11:01 am

I have to say New York as it's the only one I've ever been to

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/20/07 at 11:12 am

I have to say New York as it's the only one I've ever been to

??? Which province of Canada are you in  ???

I know you're mid 30's ... and you've only ever been to New York? ... Why's that?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/20/07 at 11:34 am

North Carolina

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/07 at 11:37 am

I know you're mid 30's ... and you've only ever been to New York? ... Why's that?

Dude, I know people who've never left Missouri.. and are for some unearthly reason, proud of it.

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/07 at 11:38 am

North Carolina

I loved North Carolina, but I've never lived there so I really can't pass judgement.

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/20/07 at 11:40 am

Well, I've visited maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the 'states' ....

Tough to pick a 'favourite' ... but I think it might be Colorado! After having spent close to a year just outside Chicago, that place (Colorado Springs)  looked like comparative 'heaven on earth'!

:)

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/20/07 at 11:43 am

Dude, I know people who've never left Missouri.. and are for some unearthly reason, proud of it.

Yeah Davey ...

I have found that a lot of Americans seem to be more than happy to never seriously think about going overseas ....although they might 'TALK about it' ....

Still, there is a lot of beauty in the USA, so for sure, it ain't mandatory.

As for not leaving the state, and being proud of it .... well, you can find people like that all around the world, who go year in year out to the same vacation resort. Hardly adventurous, but a bit like a meat & 3 veg man .. they know what they like, they know what is safe ...until it changes (and everything does, ultimately ....) .. so they're like rats in a maze ....

a-MAZE-ing !!  ;D :D

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 07/20/07 at 11:48 am

I'll have to go with California, since it has EVERYTHING here. I mean where else can you go snow skiing and surfing on the same day?

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/07 at 1:16 pm

Well, I've visited maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the 'states' ....

Tough to pick a 'favourite' ... but I think it might be Colorado! After having spent close to a year just outside Chicago, that place (Colorado Springs)  looked like comparative 'heaven on earth'!

:)

Where did you live outside Chicago? I used to live in Aurora.

Yeah Davey ...

I have found that a lot of Americans seem to be more than happy to never seriously think about going overseas ....although they might 'TALK about it' ....

Still, there is a lot of beauty in the USA, so for sure, it ain't mandatory.

As for not leaving the state, and being proud of it .... well, you can find people like that all around the world, who go year in year out to the same vacation resort. Hardly adventurous, but a bit like a meat & 3 veg man .. they know what they like, they know what is safe ...until it changes (and everything does, ultimately ....) .. so they're like rats in a maze ....

a-MAZE-ing !!  ;D :D

There does indeed seem to be a polarizing idea on travel here. I know people who've gone to so many places I'd love to visit (and I've got around a bit) and by the same token, there are the sorts who fear the differences that they might find on say.. a trip to Ohio, never mind some foreign country.

There are many beautiful places in the U.S.. in fact, in terms of sheer stunning nature and diversity in one country, I think that the United States has every other country in the world beat, that being said, not everything can be experienced within our borders either.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/20/07 at 1:18 pm

I would have to say either: South Carolina or Georgia.  I really like Pennsylvania a lot...it's just that I have lived here all of my life, and it's getting boring.

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/07 at 1:19 pm

Georgia is beautiful.. but oh.. oh.. the people. Such backwardness, it was like going back in time 50 years.

I had long hair and spoke with a strange accent.. SHUN! SHUN!

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/20/07 at 1:32 pm

Where did you live outside Chicago? I used to live in Aurora.

There does indeed seem to be a polarizing idea on travel here. I know people who've gone to so many places I'd love to visit (and I've got around a bit) and by the same token, there are the sorts who fear the differences that they might find on say.. a trip to Ohio, never mind some foreign country.

There are many beautiful places in the U.S.. in fact, in terms of sheer stunning nature and diversity in one country, I think that the United States has every other country in the world beat, that being said, not everything can be experienced within our borders either.

I lived in Des Plaines, approx 20 miles? NW of Chicago for around 2 years ... well if you count moving out to Mount Prospect (I think that was the suburbs name) as the approx same area. Also I lived in Columbus, Ohio for around 10 months.

Yeah, I love the USA .... but could never get a green card. Gave up on that many many moons ago. Haven't been back there since 1998 ... and I'm sure things must have changed ...

Anyway, it is a vast country, and I'm sure that as you said, there's pretty much everything you could ever want there. What with Canada to the north, Mexico/South America to the south .... well, there's probably no good reason to fly to other continents unless you absolutely have to / have sufficient curiosity, whatever.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/07 at 1:45 pm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMil0AqFGJYwAbhGjzbkF/SIG=132olqfbh/EXP=1185043444/**http%3A//www.christian-kurz.de/usa-urlaub/new_york/pictures/new_york_bild_26.jpg

New York  :)

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/07 at 1:22 am

I lived in Des Plaines, approx 20 miles? NW of Chicago for around 2 years ... well if you count moving out to Mount Prospect (I think that was the suburbs name) as the approx same area. Also I lived in Columbus, Ohio for around 10 months.

Yeah, I love the USA .... but could never get a green card. Gave up on that many many moons ago. Haven't been back there since 1998 ... and I'm sure things must have changed ...

Anyway, it is a vast country, and I'm sure that as you said, there's pretty much everything you could ever want there. What with Canada to the north, Mexico/South America to the south .... well, there's probably no good reason to fly to other continents unless you absolutely have to / have sufficient curiosity, whatever.

Green card, blech. Thankful I don't ever need to do all that crap.
Does cost me more to renew my UK passport thought, wankers charge me about 20 quid more because of secondary processing.

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/07 at 1:48 am

I am not even 30 yet ;D  I am in Ontario.  I've only ever been to New York State, Ontario and Quebec.  I'm not much of a traveler, plus I can't afford to go anywhere else lol

Written By: Brian06 on 07/21/07 at 2:08 am

Umm I've been to a lot of the States in the Union at one time or another maybe around 20 or so, Some that I've visited that seemed pretty nice are like Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, North Carolina, Alaska, Virginia.

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/21/07 at 7:59 am

I am not even 30 yet ;D  I am in Ontario.  I've only ever been to New York State, Ontario and Quebec.  I'm not much of a traveler, plus I can't afford to go anywhere else lol

Yes, so I see ... ^ ... just 29. I should've looked before trying to recall that one  :-I'm not much of a traveler
^ Yeah same here.

.. at least, these days. Don't even get over to the UK much anymore, as close to 24 hours on a plane is a major impact on my 'comfort zone' .... and economy class is all I can ever afford. The leg room is generally medicocre, and as for trying to get any decent sleep on the flight (key the 'mission impossible' theme).  :(

Written By: spaceace on 07/21/07 at 8:06 am

Umm I've been to a lot of the States in the Union at one time or another maybe around 20 or so, Some that I've visited that seemed pretty nice are like Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, North Carolina, Alaska, Virginia.

Hey Brian, if you tell me exactly where it's nice in Pennsylvania I'll go have a look. ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/21/07 at 8:21 am

I've never been to the States...I've been dying to go since I was really young, but I'll be obvious and say California would interest me the most, and I'd go there if I could only go to one state, simply because it's got so much...Illinois and Tennessee seem interesting in terms of modern music history, and of course New York...but there are so many and I guess all of them have their charm... At this stage I'll be glad just to go to any state, yes even Kansas, lol.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/21/07 at 9:56 am

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/abalogh/heart_new_york-thumb.png

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/07 at 10:29 am

I love the State of Confusion-that is where I live most of the time.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/07 at 10:52 am

Hey Brian, if you tell me exactly where it's nice in Pennsylvania I'll go have a look. ;D

You know what? sometimes I can't stand living here...but then I look around and take in some of the nice aspects of it. I love that we have usually definite seasons. I know I complain in the winter...but to NEVER be able to see snow at Christmas...that would be sad.  I love the scenery around here too. The laurel mountains are beautiful..and I love taking drives in the fall...seeing the beautiful foilage.  There are some positives....but I know that it can get old seeing the same thing for years and years. I would like the experience to go somewhere else, experience something different than what I am accustomed to.

Written By: spaceace on 07/21/07 at 10:57 am

You know what? sometimes I can't stand living here...but then I look around and take in some of the nice aspects of it. I love that we have usually definite seasons. I know I complain in the winter...but to NEVER be able to see snow at Christmas...that would be sad.  I love the scenery around here too. The laurel mountains are beautiful..and I love taking drives in the fall...seeing the beautiful foilage.  There are some positives....but I know that it can get old seeing the same thing for years and years. I would like the experience to go somewhere else, experience something different than what I am accustomed to.

The air quality in PA is terrible.  I have servere breathing problems.  If you go up north past New York City it's absolutly delightful.  I'd be willing to give up Gettysburg for that kind of enviroment.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/07 at 11:01 am

The air quality in PA is terrible.  I have servere breathing problems.  If you go up north past New York City it's absolutly delightful.  I'd be willing to give up Gettysburg for that kind of enviroment.

I'd like to go up that way too...at least to visit. There are so many things to see around the US..and I feel stuck here sometimes. I would love to go out west too...I've never even been close to that yet.

Written By: spaceace on 07/21/07 at 11:04 am

I'd like to go up that way too...at least to visit. There are so many things to see around the US..and I feel stuck here sometimes. I would love to go out west too...I've never even been close to that yet.

I go up to Maine once a year.  The shores there are great!!  Clean, uncrowded.  They have a really neat accent up there too.

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/21/07 at 11:04 am

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:_XZJSIUm9enH8M:http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/abraham-lincoln/pictures/lincoln-gettysburg-address.jpg

^ He's rolling in his grave .. to hear 'Gettysburg address' ... it's not too hot!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/07 at 11:07 am

I go up to Maine once a year.  The shores there are great!!  Clean, uncrowded.  They have a really neat accent up there too.

I've never been to Maine..heard it's beautiful. I've only been as far as Massachusetts.

Written By: spaceace on 07/21/07 at 11:07 am

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:_XZJSIUm9enH8M:http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/abraham-lincoln/pictures/lincoln-gettysburg-address.jpg

^ He's rolling in his grave .. to hear 'Gettysburg address' ... it's not too hot!  ;D

He made it short for a reason.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/07 at 11:08 am

This would be very hard for me to decide.  I have visited or driven through 43 states, and have lived in 7 of them.  They all have their good and bad points.

As for my favorite, it would be Idaho, closely followed by Alabama.  Alaska would come in third, with it's extreme weather the only reason I could not place it higher.  North Carolina would also be right there with Alaska, the humidity and ticks being the only reason it would be placed lower.

California would be towards the bottom, followed by Connecticut.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/21/07 at 11:12 am

New Jersey is the butt of most jokes, especially from New Yorkers, but I don't know that I'd want to live
elsewhere. If I want to go deep sea fishing, the ocean is a 55 minute drive down the expressway. Skiing,
less than an hour. If I want history I have Philadelphia (5 min.), Valley Forge (40 min.).

This being South Jersey, North Jersey is full of New York wannabes.  ;D

We have a North and South Carolina and a North and South Dakota so why not a North and South Jersey?
NJ politicians seem to think NJ ends in Trenton, unless it's an election year.  ;D

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/21/07 at 11:15 am

Posted by: Mushroom
As for my favorite, it would be Idaho

Why's that ^. Which state do you live in currently?

Written By: spaceace on 07/21/07 at 11:19 am

I've never been to Maine..heard it's beautiful. I've only been as far as Massachusetts.

Massachusetts is nice too.  I've found the north-eastern part of the country to be very laid back compared to PA.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/07 at 11:25 am

New Jersey is the butt of most jokes, especially from New Yorkers, but I don't know that I'd want to live
elsewhere. If I want to go deep sea fishing, the ocean is a 55 minute drive down the expressway. Skiing,
less than an hour. If I want history I have Philadelphia (5 min.), Valley Forge (40 min.).

This being South Jersey, North Jersey is full of New York wannabes.  ;D

We have a North and South Carolina and a North and South Dakota so why not a North and South Jersey?
NJ politicians seem to think NJ ends in Trenton, unless it's an election year.  ;D

When I die, bury me low
Where I can hear the petroleum flow.
A sweeter sound, I never did know
The rolling mills of New Jersey.

Down in Trenton, there is a bar
The bums, they come from near and from far
They come by truck, they come by car
The lousy bums of New Jersey

When I die, bury me low

Down in Hoboken, there will be
Garbage as far as the eye can see.
There's garbage for you, there's garbage for me.
The garbage dumps of New Jersey.

When I die, bury me low

When at last, I decided to roam,
Far away from my home in Bayonne.
I sat down, and wrote this poem.
I wrote an ode to New Jersey.

When I die, bury me low

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/07 at 11:30 am

Why's that ^. Which state do you live in currently?

Currently (and for the last 4 years) I live in Alabama.

I lived in Idaho from 1975-1982.  And it is by far my favorite state.  It is very clean, and nature is everywhere.  Even the state capitol has a fresh clean river running right through the middle of it.

In many ways, Idaho is still a frontier state.  Logging, mining, and agriculture make up large parts of the economy.  And the companies and state take good care of the natural resources.  The state is covered by wilderness areas and national forrests, so it is easy to find a nice quiet place away from everybody.  And there are State run campgrounds everywhere.  Not the "KOA" form, but simple parking areas surrounded by trees.  And at around $5-10, they are affordable for everybody.

And if that is not for you, there are real Ghost Towns all over from the 1800's.  I remember spending most of the summer with my parents driving through the "back woods" areas of the states, visiting old mining towns.  Camping was as simple as pulling over to the side of the road.  And seeing deer, beaver, bear, elk, and mountain lions was not unusual.

My plan when I retire is to move back to Idaho.  I simply can't think of a better place to live out the remainder of my life.

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/21/07 at 11:35 am

Wow, Mushroom ... your description of Idaho ^ .. sounds terrific. Maybe you should get a job on their tourist board!  ;D 8)

I am an animal/ nature lover, so I'm sure I'd find it  to be a great place too. Let's see, maybe I can line up a lady in Idaho ..............., who doesn't mind a 'slightly' eccentric middle aged guy ....  :D ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/07 at 12:05 pm

Wow, Mushroom ... your description of Idaho ^ .. sounds terrific. Maybe you should get a job on their tourist board!  ;D 8)

I am an animal/ nature lover, so I'm sure I'd find it  to be a great place too. Let's see, maybe I can line up a lady in Idaho ..............., who doesn't mind a 'slightly' eccentric middle aged guy ....  :D ;D

LOL!  Well, there are plenty of reasons to move there.  Even though it is mostly agricultural, there is a lot of High Tech there as well.  Hewlett-Packard has a large plant there, and it is also the home for Micron.  Both Albertsons and Boise-Cascade are headquartered in Boise.  And even though Boise has a population of only around 135,000, it has a lot to offer.  The nations first Micro-Distillary is located there, and because of the local University (BSU - go Bronco's, only undefeated NCAA football team last year) there is plenty of nightlife also.

And if you like the unusual, there is the famous "Idaho Spud" candy bar.  :)

Written By: Apricot on 07/21/07 at 12:14 pm

I don't feel an exceptional pull to any one state... the scenery up here in PA is nice, but the winters stay a little too cold for a little too long (don't get me wrong, I love that we actually have seasons here, but it's always one extreme compared to another, and you never have long enough to get used to it)... all in all, it's not a bad state to live in.

I'd like to visit California and see what that's like, but right now the state I probably feel the most affection for is Florida.. I may want to move there after college... aside from the hurricanes and whatnot, I think it'd be a really nice place to live.

Check for new replies or respond here...