inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Déjà Vu

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/07 at 9:32 pm

So, what is your take on this? Do you guys have this often?  I do have deja vu every now and then...and it's just so freaky, it's like the certain thing that is happening at the moment...totally happened before.

There have been different speculations as to what causes it...but what are your opinions?

A short (and true story):

My grandpap (when he was younger) was in the service, and they were sending him to this small town to be stationed. Mind you, he had never been there before in his life, but when he arrived there...he knew where EVERYTHING was, as if he had been there before. :o

Subject: Re: Déjà Vu

Written By: Davester on 07/21/07 at 9:46 pm

So, what is your take on this? Do you guys have this often?  I do have deja vu every now and then...and it's just so freaky, it's like the certain thing that is happening at the moment...totally happened before.

There have been different speculations as to what causes it...but what are your opinions?

My grandpap (when he was younger) was in the service, and they were sending him to this small town to be stationed. Mind you, he had never been there before in his life, but when he arrived there...he knew where EVERYTHING was, as if he had been there before. :o

Could be proof that our brains are running Windows...

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/07 at 9:50 pm

^ that is freaky :o

I've had deja vu several times, but mostly when I dream.  When I wake up, I realize that I dreamed this exact same dream long ago, with the exact same things happening.  One time it was really scary.  My phone had woken me up from the dream, and the next time I had this exact same dream, the phone woke me up :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/07 at 1:03 am

Haven't we had a thread on this subject before?

Written By: ADH13 on 07/22/07 at 1:29 am

I get deja vus...but they never last that long, and I can never predict what is going to happen, or where things are, etc...it is only as things are happening that they seem familiar, kind of like something i had forgotten about and never would have remembered if i wasn't reminded.

Written By: Gis on 07/22/07 at 8:42 am

I get it on occassions too, sometimes to do with dreams.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/07 at 8:48 am

I get it on occassions too, sometimes to do with dreams.
You remember something from a dream of which you have totally have no recall on until you syddenly remember it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/07 at 11:52 am

I have had Déjà Vu a few times.

Cat

Written By: Southern Image on 07/23/07 at 10:23 am

I have experienced it more then once. Matter of fact, I had one last week. :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 10:26 am

I would just love to know why it really happens. I mean, some people try to explain it with reincarnation...others have been said that it is a simple fantasy or wish fulfillment, while some psychiatrists ascribe it to a mismatching in the brain that causes the brain to mistake the present for the past. I have no idea..but it's very strange..to say the least. :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/07 at 10:26 am

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 10:28 am

You would think knowing me, that I would've had something like this before, but I can't think of it offhand. As for why it happens, maybe each of us kinda knows the future or at least certain parts of how our lives will play out, who knows? It's sort of like how animals have an inclination to know when something bad, like an earthquake, is going to happen, when we never could.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 10:31 am

it's just strange though...how when you get this feeling like the EXACT thing happening..has happened once before...it's so freaky.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/07 at 10:35 am

Someone once posited( there's a word of the day for you) that deja vu was when you, for an infinitesimal amount(we are talking miliseconds), of time, blank out, kinda like a mini stroke. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 10:36 am

Someone once posited( there's a word of the day for you) that deja vu was when you, for an infinitesimal amount(we are talking miliseconds), of time, blank out, kinda like a mini stroke.   

I believe it! It seems like when I do have an episode of deja vu, it's like you are almost in a trance-like state.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 10:37 am

Maybe it WILL in the future, and our mind knows it yet we don't. Or it reminds of something else similar that has happened to us.

Here's something which you could say was purely coincidental, but it still made me go "Whoa" in a Keanu Reeves-esque way. Like I've probably said before, I got into the Pink Panther movies c. 1994 thanks to my parents. Well, this one day my mom and I were talking and saying how it was a shame that Peter Sellers (the guy who played Clouseau) had died, and who would be good at replacing him if they decided to do that? Well, since I liked Steve Martin too, I sorta casually thought of him.

Yet he actually did it in 2006 for the remake! Of course the movie probably wasn't around even in developmental thought form until at least, like 1999 or the early '00s, let alone scripted and casted. So there's no way we could've known then. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 10:40 am

Maybe it WILL in the future, and our mind knows it yet we don't. Or it reminds of something else similar that has happened to us.

Here's something which you could say was purely coincidental, but it still made me go "Whoa" in a Keanu Reeves-esque way. Like I've probably said before, I got into the Pink Panther movies c. 1994 thanks to my parents. Well, this one day my mom and I were talking and saying how it was a shame that Peter Sellers (the guy who played Clouseau) had died, and who would be good at replacing him if they decided to do that? Well, since I liked Steve Martin too, I sorta casually thought of him.

Yet he actually did it in 2006 for the remake! Of course the movie probably wasn't around even in developmental thought form until at least, like 1999 or the early '00s, let alone scripted and casted. So there's no way we could've known then. ;)

so you are saying that it might be attributed to some form (even if very small) to the ability of humans to possess true psychic powers, and maybe we get little clips of them here and there (deja vu)..but won't be able to really see the scale of it until maybe sometime in the future? Hmmm...that's a possibility.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 10:43 am

so you are saying that it might be attributed to some form (even if very small) to the ability of humans to possess true psychic powers, and maybe we get little clips of them here and there (deja vu)..but won't be able to really see the scale of it until maybe sometime in the future? Hmmm...that's a possibility.

That's kinda what I've thought, yeah. Like we're not supposed to know or might not even be able to, but in our subconcious we might have knowledge of the future. Like I said with the Steve Martin thing, you could just chalk it up to a coincidence that I mentioned him in 1994/'95 doing something that he did in real life 10-11 years later, but it felt too bizarre to really be a coincidence. Plus, I've always been open minded to stuff like that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 10:51 am

That's kinda what I've thought, yeah. Like we're not supposed to know or might not even be able to, but in our subconcious we might have knowledge of the future. Like I said with the Steve Martin thing, you could just chalk it up to a coincidence that I mentioned him in 1994/'95 doing something that he did in real life 10-11 years later, but it felt too bizarre to really be a coincidence. Plus, I've always been open minded to stuff like that.

Yes, I've had many instances like that myself...where I knew when something was going to happen...and then all of a sudden it did. It's odd when it works out that way.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/07 at 11:25 am

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/07 at 2:46 pm

Written By: Howard on 09/11/07 at 4:48 pm

That's deja vu!  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 09/11/07 at 4:49 pm

I dunno...

I have Absence seizures (petit mal) pretty frequently which is essentially just a minor seizure that takes a couple of seconds to pass and I'm guessing that's kind of what you're describing here? I dunno.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but anyway, I get Deja Vu all the time but it's a conscious thought process, Absence is.. just that, there's nobody home for a few seconds.

By the way, on a side note and this is serious, whenever you have a concussion or a really hard blow to the head, consider going to the doctor, I have seizures now because of so many concussions, blows to the head etc that I just ignored eventually caused brain damage.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/11/07 at 4:50 pm

I swear we've seen this thread before. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/07 at 8:43 am

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/07 at 8:51 am

Now what was I going to say now?

Check for new replies or respond here...