inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there such thing as being too obsessed with retro things?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 7:37 pm

Because...if there is, I think I have arrived there. I'm to the point where all I think about is the past (even way far before my own time), and how much I wish I could zap myself out of here. I would literally give up everything in order to be able to live in another era.  I can't stand most things of today (trends, music, styles, movies, TV...etc...)...and I try to duplicate my childhood through Vaughns SO much.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being really into things like this....but I guess there comes a point where you can cross over a line...I guess.

What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Is there such thing as being too obsessed with retro things?

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/07 at 7:49 pm

I know what you mean.  I am still obsessed with the 80s, to the point where most of what I watch on TV is old 80s movies, or TV shows.  I listen to mostly 80s music, and I think about my childhood of the 80s, and the things that were around that no longer exist.  Makes me wish I could go back to that time

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 7:51 pm

I know what you mean.  I am still obsessed with the 80s, to the point where most of what I watch on TV is old 80s movies, or TV shows.  I listen to mostly 80s music, and I think about my childhood of the 80s, and the things that were around that no longer exist.  Makes me wish I could go back to that time

Yep, I'm the same way too. It's like...if I could find a town that totally lives exactly like it was....years ago...I think I would just move there! :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 10:40 pm

Because...if there is, I think I have arrived there. I'm to the point where all I think about is the past (even way far before my own time), and how much I wish I could zap myself out of here. I would literally give up everything in order to be able to live in another era.  I can't stand most things of today (trends, music, styles, movies, TV...etc...)...and I try to duplicate my childhood through Vaughns SO much.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being really into things like this....but I guess there comes a point where you can cross over a line...I guess.

What do you guys think?

I've been a nostalgic since like 1991, so of course not. ;D

I think we can chalk it up to two things as far as why people get nostalgia earlier these days, and why the past seems more appealing than the present or the future. One, that we're just running out of exciting things in the present time to look forward to. Like, people seemed optemistic about "the future" when JFK was elected. Now it's like we're scared about WWIII or terrorist attacks, so the past seems more idyllic. Secondly, our lives just tend to have more memories and things early on which we get attached to. Pop culture that appeals to kids started getting more common c. 1982 when video games, MTV, Cable and other stuff like that became popular. It's like the '80s and '90s were advanced enough to be interesting, yet distant enough to be simple and old-school now.

Just as a basing point, I've told you how my dad was 30 in 1968 (the age you are now). From what I know and the times it has come up, he was very "into the present" then, just with being into the music (i.e. The Beatles and Rolling Stones) or just generally enjoying the life of a young man and all. It's not like he was missing his childhood of the '40s all the time, lol.

So logically you would think a present day 30-year old would feel the same, but that's not the case. I've commonly said how I started feeling this way as early as 9 years old, partially from changes in my own life as well as pop culture stuff in a secondary sense. 1987 was "the good old days" in 1993, and the early-mid '90s were in that boat by high school, etc.

My parents of course understand the reasons I feel that way (heck they know me better than anyone besides my own self!), but they didn't exactly experience it themselves as kids/teens/younger adults. That's definitely a generation marker right there.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/23/07 at 10:44 pm

Maybe but everybody enjoys "looking back", myself I can still enjoy the present but I also take nostalgia trips a lot. It's just part of human nature to long for the past.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 10:48 pm

Maybe but everybody enjoys "looking back", myself I can still enjoy the present but I also take nostalgia trips a lot. It's just part of human nature to long for the past.

True, but you've gotta admit it's been moving younger for most people. I experienced it at 9 years old whereas most people I've asked didn't start feeling it until, like 35 or 40. ;D Maybe because the world just seemed bigger/more interesting when they were kids, whereas sometimes I feel like I've already seen it all.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/23/07 at 10:50 pm

True, but you've gotta admit it's been moving younger for most people. I experienced it at 9 years old whereas most people I've asked didn't start feeling it until, like 35 or 40. ;D Maybe because the world just seemed bigger/more interesting when they were kids, whereas sometimes I feel like I've already seen it all.

For me idk I guess it started around 14 or so, when I started looking back at like preschool and was like whoa that's 10 years ago now. Now it's 16 years ago!  :o

Written By: ADH13 on 07/23/07 at 11:37 pm

I don't see it as an obsession at all... well, as long as you buy things/listen to things/watch things that you like, as opposed to things that you can't stand but buy just because they're "retro".

You should totally be into whatever it is you like, and not necessarily whatever crap everyone else is into.  I wish more people were that way.

Written By: Davester on 07/24/07 at 12:05 am

What do you guys think?

Would be a problem if it led you neglect your present day responsibilities such as finances, career, children, family, relationships, etc...

There's definately a difference between nostalgia trips and living in the past...

Duplicating your childhood through your son?  That would be kinda nice.  I'd probably do that to some extent if I had children...

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/24/07 at 1:00 am

Sounds just like me!  :) If only a time machine existed!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/24/07 at 6:01 am

and I try to duplicate my childhood through Vaughns SO much.

Being a parent, that kinda makes me wonder.  Are you trying to give Vaughn the things you didn't have, or trying to have him experiences you had that made you happy.  The thing is, you cannot duplicate your childhood through Vaughn.  You can only watch his, and remember yours.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/07 at 6:55 am

I love retro stuff.Actually I enjoy collecting stuff and listening to the jamminoldies and not so much of today's music which sucks a lot and not as good as it used to be during the 1980's.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/24/07 at 11:14 am

Being a parent, that kinda makes me wonder.   Are you trying to give Vaughn the things you didn't have, or trying to have him experiences you had that made you happy.  The thing is, you cannot duplicate your childhood through Vaughn.  You can only watch his, and remember yours.

I know with my children I buy them certain things that I had and loved as a child.  Mostly books, since a lot of the toys I had are no longer made.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/07 at 1:11 pm

Being a parent, that kinda makes me wonder.   Are you trying to give Vaughn the things you didn't have, or trying to have him experiences you had that made you happy.  The thing is, you cannot duplicate your childhood through Vaughn.  You can only watch his, and remember yours.

Mostly I try to duplicate the experiences that I had when I was younger...the things that my parents did with me, the TV shows that I loved to watch (thanks to all of the retro TV shows on DVD now ;)), we listen to the music that I grew up listening to...etc.. He seems to really like all of it..it's not like I am forcing him to do it or anything...not like those horrible beauty pageant parents! ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/24/07 at 1:16 pm

Does anyone see my point about how teens and younger adults tended to automatically be more "into the present" in previous decades than they are now? My mom loved far more current culture and music at 33 years old in 1987 than I liked during 1998/'99 at 17, or at least was less wrapped up in being nostalgic.

Why do you suppose this is? I've noticed it being very common among lots of different people, so it's not just me, lol. I think the present just always held something exciting or worth looking forward to. The world probably seemed bigger before the Internet dominated things and especially before the paranoia of the post-9/11 era.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/07 at 1:24 pm

Does anyone see my point about how teens and younger adults tended to automatically be more "into the present" in previous decades than they are now? My mom loved far more current culture and music at 33 years old in 1987 than I liked during 1998/'99 at 17, or at least was less wrapped up in being nostalgic.

Why do you suppose this is? I've noticed it being very common among lots of different people, so it's not just me, lol. I think the present just always held something exciting or worth looking forward to. The world probably seemed bigger before the Internet dominated things and especially before the paranoia of the post-9/11 era.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. People seemed to be more adjusted with their current surroundings in the past....IMO, there's just not that much positive about living in this present era. I mean, yes, the technology is a vast difference from years ago...but that is not everyone's cup of tea...ya know? IMO, I would much rather be using an 8-track player than a MP3 player...it's all about preference. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/24/07 at 1:33 pm

Yes, I have noticed this as well. People seemed to be more adjusted with their current surroundings in the past....IMO, there's just not that much positive about living in this present era. I mean, yes, the technology is a vast difference from years ago...but that is not everyone's cup of tea...ya know? IMO, I would much rather be using an 8-track player than a MP3 player...it's all about preference. ;)

Do you think it's because, while it was still advanced to a point, it was simple enough as far as technology or the state of the world to be able to dream a little bit? Not that people weren't nostalgic back then too, but it didn't seem to be as pervasive, especially with anyone under like 35.

Jerry Springer was in his mid 30s when he was mayor of Cincinnati, and still liked lots of rock from like 1979. Even if he's more of a '50s/'60s person, I guess he still found the present enjoyable enough. That just doesn't exist now.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/07 at 1:35 pm

Do you think it's because, while it was still advanced to a point, it was simple enough as far as technology or the state of the world to be able to dream a little bit? Not that people weren't nostalgic back then too, but it didn't seem to be as pervasive, especially with anyone under like 35.

Jerry Springer was in his mid 30s when he was mayor of Cincinnati, and still liked lots of rock from like 1979. Even if he's more of a '50s/'60s person, I guess he still found the present enjoyable enough. That just doesn't exist now.

Well, I mean..there are exceptions to the rules. My mom is one that has always lived in the past (I guess I have taken after her). She was born in the late 40's, and her favorite time of her life was in the 50's. She told me that she has always wished to go back to that stage in her lifetime.  She's one to also wish that she could have lived even before that...just as I do.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/24/07 at 1:40 pm

Well, I mean..there are exceptions to the rules. My mom is one that has always lived in the past (I guess I have taken after her). She was born in the late 40's, and her favorite time of her life was in the 50's. She told me that she has always wished to go back to that stage in her lifetime.  She's one to also wish that she could have lived even before that...just as I do.

That's funny, my mom casually teases me for how old-school I am and have been for years. It's one thing to miss a personal time in your life, but I always used to get flack (still do now) if I whined about lamenting the decline of '80s technology when I was 15 in 1997 or how obsessed with cassettes, NES games, VCRs and other childhood stuff I've always been.

I didn't get this for a long time, but I believe I'm more bonded to those things than my parents are because it "made up" who I was more than it did them. I was around it at like 4 years old, so it can feel like a part of you in a way.

P.S. Off topic, but do you like the song "Lyin' Eyes" by The Eagles? That's one of Jerry's favorite songs, and he sung it on stage with them when he was in office!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/07 at 1:43 pm

That's funny, my mom casually teases me for how old-school I am and have been for years. It's one thing to miss a personal time in your life, but I always used to get flack (still do now) if I whined about lamenting the decline of '80s technology when I was 15 in 1997 or how obsessed with cassettes, NES games, VCRs and other childhood stuff I've always been.

I didn't get this for a long time, but I believe I'm more bonded to those things than my parents are because it "made up" who I was more than it did them. I was around it at like 4 years old, so it can feel like a part of you in a way.

P.S. Off topic, but do you like the song "Lyin' Eyes" by The Eagles? That's one of Jerry's favorite songs, and he sung it on stage with them when he was in office!

don't feel bad...my husband makes fun of me for all of the stuff I like too. ::)

Ya, that's an ok song...The Eagles aren't one of my favorites...but some of their songs are ok. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/24/07 at 1:49 pm

don't feel bad...my husband makes fun of me for all of the stuff I like too. ::)

Ya, that's an ok song...The Eagles aren't one of my favorites...but some of their songs are ok. :)

Maybe we ought to form a support group. ;)

Seriously though, does he really make fun of it, or is it just his lack of understanding?

My impression is that people who got to do things as kids or have really cozy family memories will probably look back on that time fondly. If it was more just people hanging with their friends as they got older, I could see it not being as big of a deal. I got so much insight into the world from that, but I was still quite "innocent" too, so that's like the perfect mix. Whether it was listening to music in the car with my folks when I was 4, playing Nintendo when I was 6, watching VH1 when I was 10 or getting into movies at 12, it all ties into that. Of course it's also mixed in with personal memories like school, family vacations or times with my grandparents while they were still alive.

Maybe kids who had stricter parents or who weren't exposed to that stuff at a young age, just wouldn't be as defined by it as I was. Either that, or if they didn't move around as much, they wouldn't miss old neighborhoods and stuff.

Written By: Marian on 07/24/07 at 2:33 pm

What do you guys think?
as long it's not with the 70s.the 50s were a cool era,musically at least.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/24/07 at 2:34 pm

^ That's kind of paradoxial. The '50s were retro cool in the '70s (which extended in the early-mid '80s, up to maybe 1986).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/07 at 2:51 pm

You can always look back at think, "Ah, the good old days. How I wish..." but truth of the matter is, there is no such thing as "the good old days". Every era has its good points and its bad points. In my lifetime, the 60s had the Beatles, Rock-n-Roll was fresh, Woodstock, flower power, Civil Rights Bill, space exploration, etc. But it also had Vietnam, the draft, Jim Crow, DDT, etc. The 70s had rock was good, Rowe vs Wade, Earth Day, television, SNL, lower voting age, etc. You also had Vietnam & the draft (still), 3 Mile Island, discrimination (sex & race), polyester, etc. etc.

Ok, I'm not going to go on because I'm sure you get my drift.

Cat

Written By: gemini on 07/24/07 at 4:11 pm

Well, you know what my answer will be. No, because I'm just like you and I'm not obsessed. Now, if I was to go back to the house I grew up in and sit outside in my car and stalk to owners until they let me come in and look at my old bedroom or something then yea, that's obsessed!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/07 at 4:23 pm

Well, you know what my answer will be. No, because I'm just like you and I'm not obsessed. Now, if I was to go back to the house I grew up in and sit outside in my car and stalk to owners until they let me come in and look at my old bedroom or something then yea, that's obsessed!  ;D

Now, that I wouldn't mind seeing, my old house-actually ALL of them.

When I was a kid, one of our neighbors moved away (to the next town over). One of the kids was visiting us. She went up to her old house and when some guy opened the door, she said, "I used to live here. Do you mind if I come in and look around?". The guy looked at her and said, "I don't live here."

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/24/07 at 4:24 pm

Well, you know what my answer will be. No, because I'm just like you and I'm not obsessed. Now, if I was to go back to the house I grew up in and sit outside in my car and stalk to owners until they let me come in and look at my old bedroom or something then yea, that's obsessed!   ;D

When I was 12 in 1994 my dad and I were in town and drove past the house we lived in during the late '80s. We only stopped for a second, so I could take a picture, but one of the owners happed to be outside and kinda gave us a dirty look, so I got out of there and back in the car pretty fast. It did cross my mind to ask my dad to see if we could, though. ;D

After we left, when we were talking about it and my dad said there's a possibility people might get p*ssed/call the cops if you knocked on the door and told them you used to live there, my heart kinda sank. Oddly, before this, it didn't cross my mind that anything would be wrong with that. Guess it was a part of innocence.

So I guess that means I'm obsessed if I'd want to do that, lol.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/07 at 4:26 pm

You'd think a guy like me would be into today's music,not really.I think the music I grew up with is the music I used to enjoy on the radio dancing to. :)

Written By: gemini on 07/24/07 at 4:48 pm

When I was 12 in 1994 my dad and I were in town and drove past the house we lived in during the late '80s. We only stopped for a second, so I could take a picture, but one of the owners happed to be outside and kinda gave us a dirty look, so I got out of there and back in the car pretty fast. It did cross my mind to ask my dad to see if we could, though. ;D

After we left, when we were talking about it and my dad said there's a possibility people might get p*ssed/call the cops if you knocked on the door and told them you used to live there, my heart kinda sank. Oddly, before this, it didn't cross my mind that anything would be wrong with that. Guess it was a part of innocence.

Actually, I did go drive through my old neighborhood last year to see how it looked and there was a 20 something guy out in the driveway and since I drove by slow, he kinda gave me the look too. I really would have loved to stop and look around, but I've heard it's the people that bought the house from us back in 1977 and they weren't very friendly so I just went on by. That doesn't make me obsessed since it was just a quick drive by!  ;D  Your not obsessed for wanting to go in and take a look around, I think thats pretty normal. Just don't drive by at night with your lights off and then sneak in when nobody's home!  ;D  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/24/07 at 4:50 pm

I also collect old funk and disco music,nothing wrong with that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/24/07 at 7:59 pm

I feel it more and more, the older I get. I mean, I felt nostalgic when I was 12 or 15 or 20, but now it's like, a lot of that stuff is really fading away, where before it was still within my grasp. I think once I turn 30, I will have a good excuse to feel nostalgic, but for now, people still look at me too young to feel that way about things. I guess with age one feels you should feel that way, but no one really sets an age limit of when you should start feeling that way.

It doesn't hurt to feel nostalgia for a more simpler time, such as lazy summer days, swimming all day long, going to Grandma's house, etc.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/24/07 at 10:21 pm

When I moved back to Vegas a few years ago, one of the first things I did was drive by my childhood home. When I lived there, it was a pretty good neighborhood. I was consumed by sadness when I saw my old house and everything surrounding it because the entire neighborhood was in such terrible shape. Needless to say, I haven't been back there since.  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/07 at 11:39 pm

Maybe we ought to form a support group. ;)

Seriously though, does he really make fun of it, or is it just his lack of understanding?

My impression is that people who got to do things as kids or have really cozy family memories will probably look back on that time fondly. If it was more just people hanging with their friends as they got older, I could see it not being as big of a deal. I got so much insight into the world from that, but I was still quite "innocent" too, so that's like the perfect mix. Whether it was listening to music in the car with my folks when I was 4, playing Nintendo when I was 6, watching VH1 when I was 10 or getting into movies at 12, it all ties into that. Of course it's also mixed in with personal memories like school, family vacations or times with my grandparents while they were still alive.

Maybe kids who had stricter parents or who weren't exposed to that stuff at a young age, just wouldn't be as defined by it as I was. Either that, or if they didn't move around as much, they wouldn't miss old neighborhoods and stuff.

a support group sounds good to me! ;)

Concerning my husband...I think it's a bit of both. He didn't have the childhood that I had. He was one of 9 kids, and they didn't have a lot of money (neither did we...but there were only 3 of us), and he didn't have a good relationship with his dad, etc. However, he knows how much this stuff means to me...and yes, sometimes he does make fun of me about it. :(

Actually, I did go drive through my old neighborhood last year to see how it looked and there was a 20 something guy out in the driveway and since I drove by slow, he kinda gave me the look too. I really would have loved to stop and look around, but I've heard it's the people that bought the house from us back in 1977 and they weren't very friendly so I just went on by. That doesn't make me obsessed since it was just a quick drive by!  ;D  Your not obsessed for wanting to go in and take a look around, I think thats pretty normal. Just don't drive by at night with your lights off and then sneak in when nobody's home!  ;D  :D

Oh, I do that all the time (drive thru our old neighborhood, and look at our old house). Infact, I heard recently that it is going up for sale next month....and we are gonna go take a look at it (not to buy, but for memory's sake).

Written By: Davester on 07/25/07 at 1:08 am

Does anyone see my point about how teens and younger adults tended to automatically be more "into the present" in previous decades than they are now?

Yeah...

That's what I was getting at here - http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=27106.0...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/07 at 6:49 am

I feel it more and more, the older I get. I mean, I felt nostalgic when I was 12 or 15 or 20, but now it's like, a lot of that stuff is really fading away, where before it was still within my grasp. I think once I turn 30, I will have a good excuse to feel nostalgic, but for now, people still look at me too young to feel that way about things. I guess with age one feels you should feel that way, but no one really sets an age limit of when you should start feeling that way.

It doesn't hurt to feel nostalgia for a more simpler time, such as lazy summer days, swimming all day long, going to Grandma's house, etc.

Yeah, I think from other people's perspective, it gets a little more reasonable every year to be nostalgic after about 17 or 18. Maybe getting out of high school or coming close is the kicker? By then, childhood is at least 5 years in the past and your earliest memories are probably well over a decade.

I get the impression older people (well not old in the literal sense at all, but you know, older than us, lol....like Boomers) sometimes scoff at the idea because they didn't go through it. So to them, the concept of a younger person missing the past in preference over the modern time would seem alien. Past generations seemed to look to the future more often. I'd probably get laughed right out of the old folks' home if I told them I missed 1988 in 1994 (i.e. because we moved houses, or I lost some cassettes I used to have). ;D

It seems like you and I kinda had similar childhoods (both were even centered in the Bay Area 8) ), so I imagine you'd probably agree that it's because we have more detailed memories of growing up which were fond. That and it included lots of pop culture which probably will always define us to an extent.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/07 at 6:51 am

I grew up in the 80's and It seems that I can't break away from the old days,I'm living in a time warp.

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/07 at 11:13 pm

The one thing that totally gets me living in the past is TV Shows on DVD.  It brings such a smile on my face to see those old shows that I LOVED when I was a kid.  I am so obsessed with them that I haven't regularly watched Prime Time TV in quite a few months

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/07 at 11:46 pm

The one thing that totally gets me living in the past is TV Shows on DVD.  It brings such a smile on my face to see those old shows that I LOVED when I was a kid.  I am so obsessed with them that I haven't regularly watched Prime Time TV in quite a few months

I love them too..I just wish that I had more money to spend on lots of them.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/25/07 at 11:49 pm

No such thing as liking them too much, but there comes a point that if you can't accept we're in a new time, you should cut back!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/07 at 11:55 pm

No such thing as liking them too much, but there comes a point that if you can't accept we're in a new time, you should cut back!

Bbbbut, I can't. :\'(

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 12:03 am

It's useless to adapt yourself to a time you don't like. Hey, today will be old-school in 2020 too, so just like what you like, right? ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/07 at 12:05 am

It's useless to adapt yourself to a time you don't like. Hey, today will be old-school in 2020 too, so just like what you like, right? ;)

right on! ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/26/07 at 12:12 am

Right, but don't agonize over what you can't change!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 12:13 am

right on! ;)

Cool, I knew you'd agree. :)

I think as long as you're not, say riding down the street in a horse and buggy, there's nothing wrong with being old-school. Such as still using VCRs, cassettes, older video game consoles or just keeping the past alive. People have always kinda done this, but I think it's even more common now. The way I've gone into detail about how we get imprinted by what we like faster and faster, this makes it quite understandable.

It's hard for anything you like to come to an end. Even the stuff that sucks almost becomes kinda cool in a way, because you know how it turned out I guess, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/07 at 12:14 am

Cool, I knew you'd agree. :)

I think as long as you're not, say riding down the street in a horse and buggy, there's nothing wrong with being old-school.

Yes...unless someone is Amish...otherwise that would be taking "old school" to a whole new level. ;) ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 12:15 am

I should also say, the reason for the sadness of time passing is that the "world" of a certain time gets less relevant. Like with people aging and going into different stages of life, or in smaller ways, less cassette players from the '80s that are still functional, or not as many boxy cars on the road. It's almost like a nonexistant world in a way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/07 at 12:17 am

I should also say, the reason for the sadness of time passing is that the "world" of a certain time gets less relevant. Like with people aging and going into different stages of life, or in smaller ways, less cassette players from the '80s that are still functional, or not as many boxy cars on the road. It's almost like a nonexistant world in a way.

I was just thinking about stuff like that the other day. I was thinking about my grandparents, and the fact that in not that many years from now...personal memories from people of that age, will no longer exist. Only things that have been recorded, etc will be remembered. That whole generation will be gone soon...and to me...that is extremely depressing. :\'(

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 12:22 am

I know, isn't it? :( The era of real old-time people who came of age before rock and teen culture are truly getting up in years. People around my dad's age (c. 1938) are like the first "cool" generation. Think about it, even in like 1995, someone born in the early 1930s could've still been in the workplace. It's just amazing how we fly through the years and it breaks my heart.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/07 at 12:25 am

I know, isn't it? :( The era of real old-time people who came of age before rock and teen culture are truly getting up in years. People around my dad's age (c. 1938) are like the first "cool" generation. Think about it, even in like 1995, someone born in the early 1930s could've still been in the workplace. It's just amazing how we fly through the years and it breaks my heart.

Me too. I get so upset thinking that I probably don't have that many more years with my grandparents. I am fortunate enough to have one full set, and one grandma left (my grandpap passed away in 1997). They are all in their 80's now.  I love hearing their stories from when they were younger. I think I should record some of them, so that I have something to remember them by.

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/07 at 12:26 am

I love them too..I just wish that I had more money to spend on lots of them.

The trick is to scope out all the dept. store bargain bins, pawn shops or even flea markets / yard sales.  I never would have built up my collection without the help of places like these.  Some of these box sets brand new are just at such ridiculous prices :(

I usually put aside some change every so often in my DVD Box set fund LOL

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/07 at 12:27 am

The trick is to scope out all the dept. store bargain bins, pawn shops or even flea markets / yard sales.  I never would have built up my collection without the help of places like these.  Some of these box sets brand new are just at such ridiculous prices :(

that's a good idea. I have found a few at this local used cd/movie place. I got season 1 of "Ghost Whisperer" for $20. Forget Ebay though...they all want to make a killing on there. I did find some at Goodwill once...and then I resold them for a TON more money.

Written By: fusefan on 07/26/07 at 3:23 am

I wish i was alive in the 80s or earlier. I was born in 1990 and i hate it! I have to be a teen during when mainstream music is boring, nothing original on tv, movies are not that great. I kinda feel jealous of older people on here saying that "so and so was good then and now it's garbage" It kinda puts me down in some way because i never got to experience it because i was too young or wasn't born yet.  >:(  :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 3:49 am

I wish i was alive in the 80s or earlier. I was born in 1990 and i hate it! I have to be a teen during when mainstream music is boring, nothing original on tv, movies are not that great. I kinda feel jealous of older people on here saying that "so and so was good then and now it's garbage" It kinda puts me down in some way because i never got to experience it because i was too young or wasn't born yet.  >:(  :(

Well, on the bright side dude, at least you probably remember a little bit of the pre-internet era. I'm guessing you have some tail end 20th Century lifestyle experience with the mid-late '90s, so be glad you weren't born in 1998 or something.

Plus, it's all relative. When I was 12 I was saying "boy, things aren't the way they were when I was 7", so that's probably just something ingrained in me. ;) I don't have as many memories of the '80s that I wish I did either, so I understand what you're saying.

Written By: fusefan on 07/26/07 at 3:56 am

Well, on the bright side dude, at least you probably remember a little bit of the pre-internet era. I'm guessing you have some tail end 20th Century lifestyle experience with the mid-late '90s, so be glad you weren't born in 1998 or something.

Plus, it's all relative. When I was 12 I was saying "boy, things aren't the way they were when I was 7", so that's probably just something ingrained in me. ;) I don't have as many memories of the '80s that I wish I did either, so I understand what you're saying.

Yeah, if i was born in 1998 I'd probably be jealous of what someone born in the late 80s/ early 90s remember. So i'm kinda glad i wasn't born in the late 90s or 00s. But there is still some things i wish i was older to see like when MTV played music videos i'm always hearing how bad it is since like 1998 and i haven't really seen MTV before 1998 because i wasn't into music then. Oh well atleast i got to see Nickelodeon before the "catdog thornberrys spongebob era" and the Disney channel before all the lousy middle school dramas started.

Written By: karen on 07/26/07 at 6:37 am

Yeah, if i was born in 1998 I'd probably be jealous of what someone born in the late 80s/ early 90s remember.

No you wouldn't.  You'd be 8 years old and barely know anything about popular music at all.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 6:41 am

With all due respect, I knew about music when I was 8 years old. Did I have the in-depth knowledge like I do today? Of course not, but I still had lots of artists whom I enjoyed and I knew quite a bit of songs, having memories or a picture in my mind attached to them. Everything all depends on the individual, with kids too. I got pretty hardcore into VH1 during the early '90s (when I was about 10) so I actually did start knowing a bit in detail.

No offense, but I despise blanket statements regardless of whom they're referring to.

On topic...I can't speak for Fusefan, but he probably meant if he was born in 1998, he'd have been jealous of older people when he became his current age (in the mid 2010s).

Written By: Howard on 07/26/07 at 6:44 am

Before you know it in 10 years the 2000's will be considered "old school". :o

Written By: karen on 07/26/07 at 6:45 am

With all due respect, I knew about music when I was 8 years old. Did I know it like I do today? Of course not, but I still had lots of artists I enjoyed and I knew quite a bit of the songs in detail. Not all kids are or were stupid, it all depends on the individual. No offense, but I despise blanket statements about anyone or anything.

I was basing it on my daughter actually

Written By: Howard on 07/26/07 at 6:49 am

Just enjoy what you like and before you know it,things will change.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 6:53 am

I was basing it on my daughter actually

Ah, makes sense now. :) It does depend from person to person. Like one of my best friends is 28 (almost 3 years older than me) and I'm alot more old-school than he is. He gives me a hard time sometimes for how into the '80s and '90s I still am, lol.

Written By: fusefan on 07/26/07 at 7:05 am

On topic...I can't speak for Fusefan, but he probably meant if he was born in 1998, he'd have been jealous of older people when he became his current age (in the mid 2010s).

That's exactly what i ment. Sorry i didn't specify enough.

Written By: karen on 07/26/07 at 7:16 am

No offense, but I despise blanket statements regardless of whom they're referring to.

nice edit!

With all due respect, I knew about music when I was 8 years old. Did I have the in-depth knowledge like I do today? Of course not, but I still had lots of artists whom I enjoyed and I knew quite a bit of songs, having memories or a picture in my mind attached to them.

Yes but I bet you didn't have enough knowledge to say "wish I'd been born 10 years earlier, the music was so much better then" which is what was originally implied.

That's exactly what i ment. Sorry i didn't specify enough.

That makes more sense

Written By: karen on 07/26/07 at 8:41 am

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ght

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/07 at 10:21 am

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ght

Put your hands on your hips.
Pull your knees in tight.

Cat

Written By: tv on 07/26/07 at 12:21 pm

No, there isn;t such things as being too obssessed with retro things I mean you grew up when you grew up and you have life experiences from those times and there is nothing wrong with it. I always complain how rap music(bad rap music that is) has taken over the radio right now but thats just the way things are music changes what can you do. There is really like nothing notewrthy on TV to watch anymore and it even fee like that a couple years of ago but the only thing worth watching on TV is the CSI franchise(Miami, Las Vegas, NY) in my opinion. CBS's s "NUMBRS" is an ok show I guess.

BTW, My father who is a boomer he says the 80's are the best decade for music and he was in his 30's in the 80's and he despises/despised late 70'as disco era. I just think its kinda funny now that I write this how my dad was anti-disco era but he dug the 1980's music scene.

Written By: Marian on 07/26/07 at 1:00 pm

No, there isn;t such things as being too obssessed with retro things I mean you grew up when you grew up and you have life experiences from those times and there is nothing wrong with it. I always complain how rap music(bad rap music that is) has taken over the radio right now but thats just the way things are music changes what can you do. There is really like nothing notewrthy on TV to watch anymore and it even fee like that a couple years of ago but the only thing worth watching on TV is the CSI franchise(Miami, Las Vegas, NY) in my opinion. CBS's s "NUMBRS" is an ok show I guess.

BTW, My father who is a boomer he says the 80's are the best decade for music and he was in his 30's in the 80's and he despises/despised late 70'as disco era. I just think its kinda funny now that I write this how my dad was anti-disco era but he dug the 1980's music scene.

Several rappers,like Will Smith,LLCool J,Ice-T,and Queen latifah became actors.I wonder if they felt they needed to expand their horizons.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 7:49 pm

Actually, that makes some sense regarding your dad that he likes '80s music over Disco. I think it put a new spin on styles from the '50s and '60s to an extent (i.e. very pop-friendly, radio hit single songs that were catchy and short). There were even covers of songs like "You Can't Hurry Love" and "California Girls", which might've reminded older people of the music of their youth.

Eighties music seemed to have a wide-reaching appeal. My dad is older than yours (born 1938!) and he even likes a bit of it. Not as hardcore as my mom who was b. 1954 did back then, but he was definitely a casual fan. More with songs like "Every Breath You Take", "Holding Back the Years", or stuff from Lionel Richie, Dire Straits, etc.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/26/07 at 11:14 pm

Wal-Mart and Target usually have good deals on DVD sets. The selection at Best Buy and Borders is much better but they're way more expensive. I haven't thought about going to pawn shops, though; the ones where I live are in pretty scary neighborhoods.

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/07 at 3:31 am

Wal-Mart and Target usually have good deals on DVD sets. The selection at Best Buy and Borders is much better but they're way more expensive. I haven't thought about going to pawn shops, though; the ones where I live are in pretty scary neighborhoods.

Wal-Mart is the best.  The Wal-Marts around here every so often have some for $20 bucks each, and during the summer and winter, they have a huge selection of them for 2 for 35$.  Best Buy sure is expensive.  I never usually see good deals in there, though shockingly, a month or so ago, they had a whole bunch for under $20 like 'Reba', 'How I Met Your Mother', 'The Pretender' and 'Bones' :o

Written By: Howard on 07/27/07 at 2:10 pm

I love living in a time warp.Does anyone have that feeling?

Written By: tv on 07/27/07 at 4:48 pm

Actually, that makes some sense regarding your dad that he likes '80s music over Disco. I think it put a new spin on styles from the '50s and '60s to an extent (i.e. very pop-friendly, radio hit single songs that were catchy and short). There were even covers of songs like "You Can't Hurry Love" and "California Girls", which might've reminded older people of the music of their youth.

My dad digs Jon Mellencamp and Bruce Springstein. I think he digs stuff like "The Clash" and "The Cars" too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/07 at 5:04 pm

We did have somebody who used to post here, who was clinically obsessed with things in the past.  Discontinued products, things that did not exist any more he was obsessed with yearning for them.  That had to suck. :-\\

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/27/07 at 11:10 pm

I do! I think it's a lot of fun, too!  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/28/07 at 6:46 am

I do! I think it's a lot of fun, too!  :D

I'm living in the 80's and right now I'm listening to Renegade Retro.

Written By: KKay on 07/28/07 at 7:59 am

I tend to live in decades.  I wish I'd be in the 80s ,more...but with the cover band, the 70s pretty much dominate.  Especially when i''m getting ready and have to look 70's-ish.
I think Im ready to try some 30s and 40s sometime.

oh yeah...I just found this thread; and I  KNEW as soon as I say it who began it.  ( ;D, my retro obsessed friend!)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/28/07 at 9:18 am

oh yeah...I just found this thread; and I  KNEW as soon as I say it who began it.  ( ;D, my retro obsessed friend!)

awww..karma to you, my lovely! :)

Written By: fusefan on 07/28/07 at 12:13 pm

I found a videotape of NBC shows from november 2001 and i kinda felt i was in a time warp (if that counts).

Written By: Howard on 07/30/07 at 4:15 pm

I found a videotape of NBC shows from november 2001 and i kinda felt i was in a time warp (if that counts).

I have tapes of WWF back in the days when they had the "F" in.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/30/07 at 4:59 pm

I have tapes of WWF back in the days when they had the "F" in.

I still have quite a few old WWF videos, too. Not sure if they can still be played in my VCR, though.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/30/07 at 6:00 pm

Yes, even things as recent as 2001 seem rather dated. It was almost 6 years ago, so, that would be like the difference between 1979 and 1985, which would seem like a BIG change!

Written By: Howard on 07/31/07 at 1:05 pm

I still have quite a few old WWF videos, too. Not sure if they can still be played in my VCR, though.

I have over 70 VHS tapes in my closet.

Written By: KKay on 07/31/07 at 1:32 pm

I have hundreds too.

You know, i have dated people solely for their love of things retro.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:01 pm

I have hundreds too.

You know, i have dated people solely for their love of things retro.

do you think I'm an "old soul", Karen? ;)

Written By: KKay on 07/31/07 at 2:10 pm

do you think I'm an "old soul", Karen? ;)

nothing old about you, babydoll.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:11 pm

nothing old about you, babydoll.

I consider myself one....it's a compliment. I would love to get a complete wardrobe of retro clothes someday...that would be fun!

Check for new replies or respond here...