inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reactions to your birth

Written By: audkal on 07/26/07 at 11:38 am

Have any interesting stories of how people reacted when you were born?  (Be it funny, sweet, whatever).

The night of my birth, my dad called his parents from the hospital.  His mom answered, so he told her I was born, and she told the news to my grandpa.  After hearing, my grandpa said, "Grandma, get me a beer".  Then my grandma asked my dad, "Boy or girl?"  Dad said, "Girl".

My grandpa: "Grandma, get me two beers."

;D

Subject: Re: Reactions to your birth

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/26/07 at 11:45 am

I don't really know anything about "live" reactions to my birth, but looking through some important papers in the safe deposit box, I found two interesting things related to my birth..

1. The city where I was born, the mayor apparently issued "official citizin certificate" signed by the mayor welcoming me to the city (and world).  ;D

2.  My mom wrote to my grandparents (her in-laws) as if I was the one writing, saying something like "Hello Grandma and Grandpa, I am here.  My name is Patty Ann, and I was just born a couple days ago. ..."  ect.  It was a really sweet letter.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/26/07 at 11:50 am

I'm don't recall any good stories about how my family reacted to my birth.  I do know that my grandmother was grocery shopping at the time and my dad went to the store to tell her my mom was in labor.  She left everything at the check-out and went with my dad.

After I was born people were sending flowers to the hospital.  My mother was getting annoyed because all the flowers were red, white and blue.  She thought they should be pink so she asked my dad "Why in the Hell is everyone sending red, white and blue?".  Turns out I was born on Flag Day. 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/26/07 at 11:54 am

Well my mothers reaction was "SEE I BLOODY TOLD YOU I WAS IN LABOR" - after she finished delivering me on the front lawn of the country hospital who had sent her away saying she wasnt having contractions !

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/07 at 12:04 pm

I'm sure for me it was, "Not another one.  ::) " :D ;D ;D  (For those who aren't aware, I'm the last out of 6).

Actually, I have the announcement from the paper about my birth & the announcement that my parents sent to people. I think I got both of these from my grandmother who (of course) saved them. 

There are movies of when I first came home as my mother got out of the car with me in her arms (no child seat mind you), everyone came over to look at me and greet me. I was told that my brother said how each of my sisters had someone to play with (since there were 4 of them) and he pointed to me and said, "She is mine". And he did. He took me under his wing even though he was 12 years older than I am-until he met his wife-but that is another story.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Step-chan on 07/26/07 at 12:33 pm

I was never told anything interesting about my birth.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/26/07 at 12:37 pm

I have a funny story from my mom's birth.

She had 2 half-brothers and 1 half-sister older then she AND she was born on one of the half-brothers birthdays.  I think he was turning 8 that year (I'm not sure), Anyways...when news got back to the 2 half-brothers of her birth...they celebrated by letting off fire crackers or some type of fireworks and it went off too soon and my uncle got hurt.  So both mother, her newborn daughter and her youngest son were in the hospital all that day.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/07 at 12:46 pm

When my father-in-law was born (1920), it was the first year that women had the right to vote. He was born shortly before election day and his mother said, "All these years men kept me from voting and there is another one" pointing to my father-in-law in his crib.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/26/07 at 2:00 pm

I never heard too many stories about my birth, but I did find the bill for my birth in all the paperwork my parents left behind in the house. Compared to how much Neal's birth was, I was a bargain!

Written By: spaceace on 07/26/07 at 2:03 pm

I don't know about the reaction to my birth but I have heard about the reaction to my adoption.

My Grandparents were thrilled.  Grandma kept saying I was a perfect addition for the family.

My two older brothers had this "oh good . . . fresh meat! mentality"

The parish priest said I was cute and then added . . . so what's wrong with her?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/26/07 at 2:22 pm

I don't know of any specific reactions to my birth, but I do know that after having two boys, my parents were very glad to finally have a girl!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/26/07 at 2:25 pm

My mom said that they couldn't believe how much hair I had on my head. She thinks that's why I made her so sick throughout her pregnancy. I think that was the biggest reaction I got out of them. They also called me rosebud lips because my lips always looked puckered up when I was first born.

Written By: Paul on 07/26/07 at 2:37 pm

I've mentioned this before, but here goes once more...

I was born a fortnight overdue and for some reason (and fairly rare in those days), I eventually was born at home...

...in the morning...

...during school term-time...

Just so happens that my eldest sister was at school that day and remembers being 'mortified' when she was informed of my birth 'in front of the whole year in assembly'...

(She didn't appear to be too disheartened when the school sent her home to see her new baby brother!  ::))

So if she's watching (highly unlikely!)...sorry Lorraine!

If I get another stab at things, I'll try and bust out over the weekend!  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/26/07 at 3:19 pm

I was born a fortnight overdue and for some reason (and fairly rare in those days), I eventually was born at home...

Wow!  Born at home!

That was very unusual for that time!  :D

Written By: Jessica on 07/26/07 at 3:33 pm

Well my mothers reaction was "SEE I BLOODY TOLD YOU I WAS IN LABOR" - after she finished delivering me on the front lawn of the country hospital who had sent her away saying she wasnt having contractions !

I know that isn't supposed to be funny, but man..... ;D

I'm sorry, women usually know (WELL before the doctor) when their body is gearing up for labor. The tools at that hospital should have known that.

Reactions to my birth? Probably sheer horror.

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/26/07 at 3:36 pm

I was born at home too,my mom says they thought i was born dead because i didn't made a sound,the midwive had to smack me over and over again until i finally start crying,my mom always says that i was born a devil in disguise,she thought i would be docile and quiet,i proved her so wrong ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/07 at 3:36 pm

This is one I've mentioned before, but here goes again ...

I was born with a slight birth defect in the form of a 9th finger that was growing out of the side of my left pinky.  It was boneless and nothing more than just out of the ordinary, so the doctors tied a string around it to cut off it's circulation, and it fell right off.  I still have the scar (in the form of a small dot sized bump) to prove it was once there.

I used to find it a hassle just knowing the scar was there.  Whenever people would ask me what it was, they'd never believe me when I'd tell them lol

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/26/07 at 3:44 pm

I was born with a slight birth defect in the form of a 9th finger that was growing out of the side of my left pinky.  It was boneless and nothing more than just out of the ordinary, so the doctors tied a string around it to cut off it's circulation, and it fell right off.  I still have the scar (in the form of a small dot sized bump) to prove it was once there.

I used to find it a hassle just knowing the scar was there.  Whenever people would ask me what it was, they'd never believe me when I'd tell them lol

I remember you mentioning this, but I still find it pretty nifty how they got rid of it - poor finger -  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/07 at 3:53 pm

I know someone who had one of those.  She ended up with a little knobby thing on the side of her hand that was weird when we had to hold hands for Red Rover or something like that.

When my brother and sisters were born, while my father was still in the waiting room, my grandmother would run down to the desk and name the child.  In those days they could do that.  When I was born I came so quick that my grandmother hadn't gotten to the hospital yet so my father went down and gave my first name and told the desk "her grandmother will be here soon, tell her she can have the middle name".  My grandmother always called me by my middle name, never by my first  ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/26/07 at 4:10 pm

I'm sorry, women usually know (WELL before the doctor) when their body is gearing up for labor. The tools at that hospital should have known that.

With both of my kids, I went into labor in the middle of the night...and lemme tell ya, those pains sure woke me up!!! 

Thankfully I didn't have to feel the pains for too long, as both were delivered by c-section...

Thank god for epidurals!!!!  :o

Written By: KKay on 07/26/07 at 4:18 pm

My mom said that if I were born first, I'd be an only child.

She also said that after I was born and put in the bit window with all the babies, all these teenage boys kept coming up to see me.  It began all so early.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/26/07 at 4:47 pm

I thought that was your sister :P

I don't know how they reacted to my birth.  I got tossed from relative to relative like most babies do, guess I was cute enough for all that lovin'.

Reaction to the boy's birth..."Holy crap, someone catch him!"  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/26/07 at 5:02 pm

My mom's water broke in the middle of my sister's 8th birthday party, so I kind of crashed.  They had to stop the party early so my parents could go to the hospital.  I was also really late.  At the last minute, I turned sideways and came out hand first.  They didn't think I'd live, but they did an emergency C-section and I was ok.  Apparently I am in a bunch of medical journals because of it, so it was a pretty big deal at the time.

When I was a baby, the sister I share a birthday with thought I was hers because I came on her special day, so in every picture she is holding me.  We have always been super close too - she was always really great to me.  When she was in high school she would come and check me out of elementary school and take me out to lunch.  When you're 9 that's about the coolest thing ever.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/07 at 5:12 pm

I was due the last week of Feb. My mother was in the hospital on March 17th thinking that I was going to be a St. Patrick's Day baby-but I fooled her.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 7:41 pm

I don't know about any people's specific reactions offhand, but my birth itself was kinda eventful. See, I'm from northern California, and my parents stopped off in Florida for a mini vacation with the family before heading off to what was to be a European trip. This was like, late Summer of 1981 and they were supposed to have been back for when I was scheduled to be born c. November.

Anyway, I unexpectedly came early this one night the family was at dinner. It was pretty scary from what I've been told, since I was 2 months early and only weighed around 3 pounds or so. It was eventful enough to have made a small headline in our local paper a couple months later, when we all went home (at the time, my mom was a flight attendant and my dad worked for IBM). We've still got the article somewhere.

P.S. Loosely related, but maybe because of the sudden birth, I was named after a Rick Springfield song - my parents liked it at the time, and they couldn't agree on a name, lol.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/07 at 7:59 pm

My Mother was drugged at the time so I wouldn't know if she had any recollection of it.But what I do know on my little underwear,It said on it "I'm a Little Tax Deduction". ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/26/07 at 8:59 pm

When my brother was born (we're 4 years apart), my mom and dad dropped me off at my aunt and uncle's house while my parents went to the hospital.  But I wanted to go to the hospital with them.  ;D  I rarely had crying fits but that night chose to have one.  ::)

So my aunt and cousin (who is 10 years older then me) drug me off to watch television.  What did we watch?  The first showing (on television) of Planet of the Apes.  I don't know why but it really scared me at the time.  THEN they made me chicken noodle soup, which before they heated it up from the can, I told them "I don't like chicken noodle, I threw up at school when I ate this last."  Did they listen?  Nooooooooooooo (I was just 4).  So I ate it, and then I threw up.  (That'll teach them not to believe me from now on.)  ;)

Written By: Jessica on 07/26/07 at 9:25 pm

My mom's water broke in the middle of my sister's 8th birthday party, so I kind of crashed.  They had to stop the party early so my parents could go to the hospital.  I was also really late.  At the last minute, I turned sideways and came out hand first.  They didn't think I'd live, but they did an emergency C-section and I was ok.  Apparently I am in a bunch of medical journals because of it, so it was a pretty big deal at the time.

My sister was born in a funky way, too. She came out butt first. The doctor thought it was her head, so they proceeded with a normal birth. My mom said it was the most excruciating thing she's ever been through and that she should have known all that pain was caused by a troublemaker (my sister isn't the friendliest person in the world...very loud and opinionated). This also led to a round of her being known as the "butthead".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/07 at 10:09 pm

My sister was born in a funky way, too. She came out butt first. The doctor thought it was her head, so they proceeded with a normal birth. My mom said it was the most excruciating thing she's ever been through and that she should have known all that pain was caused by a troublemaker (my sister isn't the friendliest person in the world...very loud and opinionated). This also led to a round of her being known as the "butthead".

that's how my husband was born...a breech baby. And to top it off..he was born in an elevator!! LOL!

As for me...My parents were really happy because my mom was told that she could probably never have children (and she ended up having 3). They were gonna adopt a child, and were on a waiting list...then she got pregnant with me.  I was born blue though...lack of oxygen, and they thought I was gonna die...but I didn't. Also, I have a birthmark on my right knee, and as soon as I was born, my mom saw this and said, "oh look, she has an angel kiss on her knee!" :D

Written By: Gis on 07/27/07 at 3:53 am

I too was born bottom first. Apparently the doctor turned me twice and I flipped right back round again! The didn't dare do it again in case they wrapped the cord round my neck. My mother always says stubborn right from day one!

When my brother was born my Dad sent a telegram to his parents saying 'Nipper arrived, both mother and baby are fine.' As it was in the days before every home could afford to have a phone my Nan had to send a telegram back saying 'Congratulations. What is it?'  ;D

Written By: karen on 07/27/07 at 4:14 am

When my eldest brother Paul was born the hospital rang the pub down the road from where my parents live and someone ran down the street to give my dad the message! 

My other brother was born at my grandma's house.  My dad said he came home from work and was sent out to the chemist to buy something or other to help my mum.  By the time he got back Stuart was born.  Paul can remember being at home with my mum staying at grandma's.

I was born sometime around 8.00 in the morning.  I asked my parents if they could remember the time and my dads reply was "well I remember waving to your mum as I cycled past the hospital on my way to the train station to go to work.  When I got to work the hospital had phoned to say you had been born"!

Written By: audkal on 07/27/07 at 10:49 am

Neat stories guys! 8)

Sounds like some of you had some close calls at birth--glad you pulled through. :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/27/07 at 11:58 am

I know that isn't supposed to be funny, but man..... ;D

My poor mum was 19 and her mum had not even explained periods to her - let alone the pregnancy process - she was on her own as my dad was working in a nearby town. She was reasonably sure that she knew what was going on but the matron at the hospital (when I say country hospital I mean a town of less than 400 people) told her told to be silly and refused to call the doctor in from his home. I was actually delivered by a trainee nurse who was younger than mum - on the front lawn. The matron apparently got a right bollocking from the doctor when he did finally show up.

2 years later when she was in labor with my brother - yet another tiny country hospital tried to send her home and she was much more insistant that time !!

Funnily - when I was 18 I actually delivered my friends baby. I had told her at least ten times that I thought she was in labor but she didnt believe me. Finally she allowed me to call an ambulance and as we waited - she crouched on the floor to relieve the pain and I yelled "woh I can see a head" - minutes later the baby slipped into my hands ! Man now I feel old - I just realised that little bub must be 21 now !

Written By: Howard on 07/27/07 at 1:57 pm

I was almost born in the car and my Mother was drugged when she gave birth to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...