inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Everything I Need To Know In Life, I Learned From...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 5:07 am

I've seen this before. Basically just mention something that has influenced you in some way or another and list the reasons why. I know alot of you guys have probably heard me mentioning this quite a bit, but I'm gonna start with VH1. I mean the old, old school one I watched back in Elementary school during late 1990 to 1993...when they called it Video Hits One. ;)

-Got me interested in standup comedy (as well as generally wanting to entertain people), from the Gallagher specials they showed, and their own Standup Spotlight

-Further developed my interest in '80s music. I already liked it, but this made me appreciate the creativity of the videos, and made me more knowledgeable on certain artists when they did interviews, etc.

-On the same token, pointed me towards the '90s stuff I would come to enjoy.

-Introduced me to some of my first crushes (i.e. Amy Grant, Paula Abdul).

-Actually inspired me to write my first semi-professional letter. It was a fan letter where I ended up also asking if there was any way they could show more complete versions of videos (they would sometimes cut off the beginnings and ends of songs, probably for airtime. That could be annoying, lol).

Subject: Re: Everything I Need To Know In Life, I Learned From...

Written By: Jessica on 07/31/07 at 8:49 am

My son.

-He taught me that I don't always have to go at a fast pace and completely miss all the little nuances of nature.

-He taught me that I need to take better care of myself or else I'm not going to see him grow up.

-He taught me that it's always fun to leave little chores for awhile and color instead.

-He taught me that clothes do not have to match and it won't even matter because you're too busy paying attention to the world around you.

-I also learned that kid's movies can be fun, even if you are 27.

Written By: spaceace on 07/31/07 at 10:00 am

Dr. Robert Stein PhD

Anger is a good thing, it motivates.

Prozac doesn't help depression like Ben&Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream and classic TV.

Seeing the dark side of life isn't necessarily a bad thing.  How do you think Steven King and Ozzy Osbourne make a living?

Honor they Father and they Mother and be true to yourself.

F@ck the system, sometime anarchy works.

Written By: audkal on 07/31/07 at 2:43 pm

Interesting!

First off: my brothers who had more of an influence on me than anyone else.  They got me into WWF wrestling, Power Rangers, Green Day, Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

-Conan O'Brien got me obsessed with staying up late, and also some of my crushes (Colin Hanks for example).

-By staying up late, I saw a lot of random infomercials (mainly cooking ones, which I found addicting).

-Infomercials got me into cooking.

-A friend figured out and bought me a cookbook for my birthday.

-My college major is Culinary Arts.

;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 3:06 pm

Interesting!

First off: my brothers who had more of an influence on me than anyone else.  They got me into WWF wrestling, Power Rangers, Green Day, Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

-Conan O'Brien got me obsessed with staying up late, and also some of my crushes (Colin Hanks for example).

-By staying up late, I saw a lot of random infomercials (mainly cooking ones, which I found addicting).

-Infomercials got me into cooking.

-A friend figured out and bought me a cookbook for my birthday.

-My college major is Culinary Arts.

;D

That's a cool chain of events, how one thing just kinda slowly led to another. I guess the VH1/standup thing sort of mirrored how you developed your interest in cooking.

Yeah, family influend me in alot of ways too. One reason I'm so attached to my childhood is 'cause of my parents and other relatives. Part of who they are influenced me too. Like my dad's Robin Williams-type sense of humor.

Written By: La Roche on 07/31/07 at 3:09 pm

.. Beavis & Butthead.

It's possible to succeed even if you're a total idiot.. just listen to metal, try and score with every chick you see and sleep a lot.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 3:12 pm

^They're cool and fun to watch in a secondary perspective, but it would probably get annoying hanging out with them after awhile. ;D Although I do like their attempts at logic, lol.

Written By: audkal on 07/31/07 at 3:28 pm

That's a cool chain of events, how one thing just kinda slowly led to another. I guess the VH1/standup thing sort of mirrored how you developed your interest in cooking.

Yeah, family influend me in alot of ways too. One reason I'm so attached to my childhood is 'cause of my parents and other relatives. Part of who they are influenced me too. Like my dad's Robin Williams-type sense of humor.

Yeah our chains were both kind of alike in that way. :)  Yeah, family seems to influence everything.  My brothers also kind of got me into doing character voices and stuff--'cause sometimes we have regular conversations in different voices, lol, weird I know. ;)

Written By: La Roche on 07/31/07 at 3:38 pm

^They're cool and fun to watch in a secondary perspective, but it would probably get annoying hanging out with them after awhile. ;D Although I do like their attempts at logic, lol.

Kind of like my attempts at every day life.

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 5:49 pm

... The Three Stooges

Though the eye gouge block doesn't always work

Written By: loki 13 on 07/31/07 at 6:00 pm

....Making mistakes, and trust me I've made quite a few. ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/01/07 at 6:59 am

....Making mistakes, and trust me I've made quite a few. ;D

Exactly,We're not Perfect. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/08/07 at 11:44 pm

*bumparooni

I'll think of something else later. ;)

Written By: MLB on 08/12/07 at 6:51 pm

my dog. 
She's happy whenever someone in our family comes in the door (greet friends and family warmly at the door), she's always ready to have a nap (rest and relax when you can), even when she's having a bad day (ie birthing puppies at 3 am.) she doesn't complain (try not to let the bad days get to you, because it could always be worse), and now and then she chases  our housecats (don't forget to have fun sometimes)!

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/07 at 8:33 pm

... rubixgirl.  Her wisdom inspired me to be the person that I am today 8)

Written By: KKay on 08/13/07 at 7:15 am

Star Wars.

Try not: Do.
Let the Wookie win.
It really isn't necessary to be fluent in over 6 million forms of communication.
When all else fails....jump!
Always check the background of people you want to get intimately involved with, they may be your relatives.
Cute, cuddly, widdle teddy bears usually will eat you alive unless you can prove you're a god.

Check for new replies or respond here...