inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mosquitos

Written By: KKay on 07/31/07 at 8:03 pm

I just got a bite the size of a Susan B Anthony.
ouch.

Was eaten alive by a bunch of no-see-ums and those bites don't show for a few days and then....Arrrgggghhh!!!!!!

We got them bad down here by the beach, these biting bugs.
Who else is sufferin?

Subject: Re: Mosquitos

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/31/07 at 8:13 pm

not suffering these days but every spring at the ballpark where we have our softball league the mosquitos come out in force, there is a marsh or creek right behind the outfield and we have to carry cans of OFF repellant in our bat bags to keep them away 

I remember fishing and swimming at the Modesto Resevoir back in the mid 70's with my friend and we were assaulted by hundreds of hungry mosquitos. About 20-30 of them were on his back & i think I saw him actually lifted off the ground when they were trying to carry him off to feed on him  :o they are horrible little beasts, and of course with disease possibilities from the blood sucked out from other living things, who knows what one might contract.

Written By: KKay on 07/31/07 at 8:15 pm

yeah. marshes are the worst.
One of my locations is right next to a swamp.  it's the worst. when I water the plants the bugs come a-flying out.

I live by beach grass marshes and the beach.  it's a west nile mill.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/31/07 at 8:17 pm

yeah. marshes are the worst.
One of my locations is right next to a swamp.  it's the worst. when I water the plants the bugs come a-flying out.

I live by beach grass marshes and the beach.  it's a west nile mill.
I would be spraying deet all over me. That stuff works really good, probably highly carcinegenic, but at least the mosquitos don't bite.

Written By: KKay on 07/31/07 at 8:21 pm

I would be spraying deet all over me. That stuff works really good, probably highly carcinegenic, but at least the mosquitos don't bite.

we went ot a beach party last week...I just kept lighting up and not smoking to keep them at bay.  ew, and sand fleas.

Written By: Apricot on 07/31/07 at 8:23 pm

I've been outside at night a lot less this summer, so I've been fairly safe aside from two or three nasty outbreaks of bites.

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 8:26 pm

When I was in High School, we went on a trip to some camp, and holy crap, you get off the bus and the mosquitoes and bugs just swarm you completely :o

You know that old joke "What's that big ugly thing in your neck"?  Well, other than my head (LOL), it was about a hundred mosquito bites :\'(

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/31/07 at 8:45 pm

I have 5 bites on my elbow...no idea what they're from, but they're all in a pretty little line.  Weird.

Written By: Jessica on 07/31/07 at 9:06 pm

I had some that were pretty weird. They might have been flea bites though because the dog had a few.

Someone told me that if you eat a lot of bananas, mosquitos are more attracted to you. Not sure if that's true, but I thought I'd pass that info along.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:02 pm

I don't have too many this summer (knock on wood). I usually get a few when we go to the drive-in, and also when we go over to my brother-in-law's house..he lives in the woods, and if we are outdoors for awhile, I usually get bit by a few of them.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/31/07 at 10:04 pm

I just got a bite the size of a Susan B Anthony.
ouch.

Was eaten alive by a bunch of no-see-ums and those bites don't show for a few days and then....Arrrgggghhh!!!!!!

We got them bad down here by the beach, these biting bugs.
Who else is sufferin?

Not so many where I live or work, but there were PLENTY in Vermont this weekend.

The ones by the beach are the worst, because you're lying threre trying to relax and have to keep swiping at yourself.  I tried the lighter trick as well, but it didn't seem to have any effect.  Next time I go down to the beach, I'm bringing bug spray...

Written By: spaceace on 07/31/07 at 10:11 pm

I haven't been a food supply for too many mosquitos.  I usually end up scratching the bites till they scab. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:12 pm

Have any of you ever tried PIC coils? They were always popular at the drive-in, infact you can still buy them at the drive-in near us!!

http://www.pic-corp.com/www/consumer/repellents.htm

oh, check this out:
;D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnrduf4Ndg

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/31/07 at 10:13 pm

I've never been bitten by one before...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:16 pm

I've never been bitten by one before...

LIES!!!! ;D :D  Are you serious? How not? ??? :o

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/31/07 at 10:18 pm

LIES!!!! ;D :D  Are you serious? How not? ??? :o

I taste like salty lotion.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:19 pm

I taste like salty lotion.

and they aren't attracted to that?

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/31/07 at 10:22 pm

and they aren't attracted to that?

Well... I dunno. Bottom line is that I haven't.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:23 pm

Well... I dunno. Bottom line is that I haven't.

well..I'm impressed. ;)

Written By: La Roche on 07/31/07 at 11:41 pm

Yup, but I managed to go all the way until the end of July before I got some, now I have about 6 big ones.

Hey Kay, remember that huge one I had on my foot?

Then remember that I got drunk and scratched it until I just tore the skin to pieces?

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/31/07 at 11:58 pm

So far, no mosquito bites this summer. It has been humid lately, so that could change.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/07 at 3:39 am

With the change in the climate the UK is waiting for the start of the invasion of mosquitos.

Written By: Gis on 08/01/07 at 4:44 am

With the change in the climate the UK is waiting for the start of the invasion of mosquitos.
oh joy!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/07 at 4:46 am

oh joy!
...but that bout of wet weather has played havoc on the midges in Scotland.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/01/07 at 5:49 am

There was a comment in the news about the relatively mild mosquito season we are having this year.  That all could change I am sure, but it is nice while it lasts.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/07 at 6:34 am

This Summer,I only got bit 2 times on my right arm,So far I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/02/07 at 11:25 am

I haven't been bitten by mosquitos, but I have been bitten by something else (I say fleas, someone else said chiggers-which I don't think because I react REALLY badly to those and the bites I had weren't that bad).

I usually use bug repellant when I'm outside or I carry a fabric softener sheet with me, which keeps them at bay.  Another thing you can do is make a spray out of vinegar and water.....I know, it sounds nasty, but the vinegar smell goes away after about 3-4 minutes....the last time I did this, everyone else was eaten alive and I got no bites :o  I've also heard you can put lemon juice in it to make it smell nicer, but I've never tried that.

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/07 at 11:37 am

I haven't been bitten by mosquitos, but I have been bitten by something else (I say fleas, someone else said chiggers-which I don't think because I react REALLY badly to those and the bites I had weren't that bad).

I usually use bug repellant when I'm outside or I carry a fabric softener sheet with me, which keeps them at bay.  Another thing you can do is make a spray out of vinegar and water.....I know, it sounds nasty, but the vinegar smell goes away after about 3-4 minutes....the last time I did this, everyone else was eaten alive and I got no bites :o  I've also heard you can put lemon juice in it to make it smell nicer, but I've never tried that.

I once poured vinegar all over my mosquito bites.. but.. I used the other kind of vinegar and just ended up smelling funny.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/07 at 1:07 pm

Mosquitoes just love me. (I guess because I am so sweet.  ;) :D ;D ) Carlos gets bitten but they don't effect him too much. Me, the swell up and itch for days. Whenever we go to Puerto Rico, if we are outside at night, my legs because an all-you-can-eat restaurant for the mosquitoes. The thing is, I don't wear perfume in the summer for that reason but they still love me anyway.

One time when we were on the boat (the old boat). As soon as the sun went down, we were dive-bombed by a major swarm. It was awful. And even when we closed up the cabin, they were still coming in. At least with this boat, there are screens so we can keep the cabin open but the bugs don't come in (too much anyway).

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 08/02/07 at 1:16 pm

On another board I belong to, a lady suggested pure lavender oil for mosquito bites. She said if you get a bite, just dab a bit of the oil on there and it takes the itching away and makes the welt go down quickly.

Written By: Tam on 08/02/07 at 1:31 pm

We have endured so much rain this summer that I think the mosquitos out-number the rolly polly bugs now!

Our mosquitos are the black zebra striped ones, and when they bite, I swell up like the size of a quarter!

I carry the fabric softener sheet and I also light incense. The worst is when I am bbq-ing because I never put spray on for a few minutes outside. I counted 37 bites in 14 minutes last week!!! :o

Written By: KKay on 08/02/07 at 2:07 pm

I was out in the sun working ffor the last 7 hours and I have about 14.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/02/07 at 2:22 pm

Because I live in a subtropical climate, we get mosquitos around here on a regular basis...

Over the years, however, I have built up an immunity to their poison and they rarely bother me now...

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for little spiders...and I've been getting lots of bites lately which turn into huge, itchy welts that stay red for days!  :P

Insects have been a real problem this year, and I think it might be time to call an exterminator... :-\\

Written By: Howard on 08/02/07 at 3:11 pm

Because I live in a subtropical climate, we get mosquitos around here on a regular basis...

Over the years, however, I have built up an immunity to their poison and they rarely bother me now...

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for little spiders...and I've been getting lots of bites lately which turn into huge, itchy welts that stay red for days!  :P

Insects have been a real problem this year, and I think it might be time to call an exterminator... :-\\

Have you sprayed the house with repellant? ???

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/02/07 at 3:32 pm

Have you sprayed the house with repellant? ???

No, Howard...

Repellants are designed for applying to one's skin...not for spraying randomly around the house!

Written By: Howard on 08/02/07 at 3:49 pm

No, Howard...

Repellants are designed for applying to one's skin...not for spraying randomly around the house!

Oh I see,that would be ant or roach spray.Yesterday I had to kill a wasp in my room.every summer,I seem to be getting these. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/07 at 5:08 pm

Our boat ALWAYS gets wasps. It seems like each time we go out, there are more wasps nests. Last night, we used the lantern for the first time in I don't know how long. (We usually use the lights in the cabin but since we didn't have the boat battery, we had to use the lantern). The propane canister was empty so as Carlos we replacing it, he noticed something inside-yup, a wasp nest-inside the lantern. Unbelievable. But the wasp was long gone from it.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 08/02/07 at 5:15 pm

Amazingly, even taking our 'wet' summer into account, I've not been bitten yet!  :D

And if I apply 'Sod's Law' to that above phrase...then by this time tomorrow I'll be bereft of flesh!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/07 at 5:20 pm

Amazingly, even taking our 'wet' summer into account, I've not been bitten yet!  :D

And if I apply 'Sod's Law' to that above phrase...then by this time tomorrow I'll be bereft of flesh!  ::)
Going to the countrysdie for the weekend?

Written By: Paul on 08/02/07 at 5:22 pm

Going to the countrysdie for the weekend?

Nope...just being in the garden is enough (if they're really out in force!)

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/02/07 at 5:47 pm

We have endured so much rain this summer that I think the mosquitos out-number the rolly polly bugs now!

When I was a kid I used to dig up rolly pollies in my backyard after a good rain storm. One summer, we had so much rain we had caterpillars crawling all over the grass for days.

Written By: Marian on 08/05/07 at 3:42 pm

West Nile is in the news in our area.

Written By: KKay on 08/07/07 at 7:13 am

ugh.. i got two while i slept. 

rright on the knuckle. hate that.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/07/07 at 3:51 pm

Out backyard is the worst.  I try to keep bug spray handy.  My kids get so many bites if I don't spray them.  One day Hunter was playing and he kept rubbing his ear, he had gotten a bite inside his ear...it found the one spot that I missed with the spray.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/07/07 at 4:08 pm

Neither have I...although I've seen a few of the little beggars buzzing around the kid's bathroom...

The spiders, however, are still bothering me...and it seems every couple of days I get a new bite!  >:(

Written By: Howard on 08/07/07 at 4:26 pm

Neither have I...although I've seen a few of the little beggars buzzing around the kid's bathroom...

The spiders, however, are still bothering me...and it seems every couple of days I get a new bite!  >:(

Just a week ago,wasps were flying in my room.I got rid of them using my vaccum cleaner. :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/07/07 at 4:27 pm

Just a week ago,wasps were flying in my room.I got rid of them using my vaccum cleaner. :P

I rarely see wasps around here...and that's a good thing!  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/07/07 at 4:28 pm

I rarely see wasps around here...and that's a good thing!  :D

So why do they come in my room every summer? I had to spray some sort of stuff on my ledges to get rid of them.

Check for new replies or respond here...