inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overcoming shyness/approaching women"

Written By: tv on 08/02/07 at 5:18 pm

I need advice I can't go up to women at places and just to talk them enough where I can ask them out on a possible date or just get their number. I have seeked out advice from everybody on this subject but I just can;t break through my shyness in approaching women. I have asked a few women out in the past but they have rejected me big time. This seess like a big obstacle to get through for me. I just don;t know what to say to women if I;m interested in talking to one of them enough where I can just maybe get their number. I have been burned and hurt by women in the past in terms of them rejecting me. I have even read articles on approaching women on internet sites that help you with this problem but I did try some of the advice that the internet source gave me and it bombed. I am determined in getting past this problem but I just can't seem too. I have tried internet sites its a little better but women respond to me first and I reply they never write anything back to me in return except for one girl a while back but she was just an internet buddy. Help as a guy I have major women problems!

Subject: Re: Overcoming shyness/approaching women"

Written By: Paul on 08/02/07 at 5:21 pm

I'd just like to take this opportunity in saying I'd be no help to you on this subject whatsoever...

...but I'm sure our good folk here will have some good ideas!

(Perhaps I should listen to a few myself!  ;))

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 5:27 pm

I know how you feel, man - I've often been there myself in one way or another.

Not sure if it works this way with you, but I tend to be very laid back and comfortable....but only once I get to know someone to the point of being able to relax and be myself. It's the initial stages that are harder, as well as wondering to myself, Geez, how am I gonna GET to know them? ;)

Personally, when I've ever asked any girls out, I try and do it in a really easygoing way, usually once I at least am acquainted with them. Like just asking if they want to get some coffee, etc. I know that lots of times, women can be on guard about men (which is perfectly understandable, considering the way some of them are). So for that reason, I probably try even harder to be sensitive or concerned with their feelings.

Just another loosely-related note, but I've heard it said that creative people or anyone who has alot they want to say, are actually bound to be even shyer in some situations, because they don't know where to start. I can identify with that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/07 at 5:31 pm

For a guy to attract a girl,

Be funny, but not the nervous kind.

Be smart, but don't be a show off.

Engage in a good conversation about a very personal cause.

Like movies, music, puppies, teddy bears, flowers and lace, lol

Surprise her! Even if it's the first time you ever met!

Written By: tv on 08/02/07 at 5:47 pm

I know how you feel, man - I've often been there myself in one way or another.

Not sure if it works this way with you, but I tend to be very laid back and comfortable....but only once I get to know someone to the point of being able to relax and be myself. It's the initial stages that are harder, as well as wondering to myself, Geez, how am I gonna GET to know them? ;)

Personally, when I've ever asked any girls out, I try and do it in a really easygoing way, usually once I at least am acquainted with them. Like just asking if they want to get some coffee, etc. I know that lots of times, women can be on guard about men (which is perfectly understandable, considering the way some of them are). So for that reason, I probably try even harder to be sensitive or concerned with their feelings.

Just another loosely-related note, but I've heard it said that creative people or anyone who has alot they want to say, are actually bound to be even shyer in some situations, because they don't know where to start. I can identify with that.
The problem is I don;t have good icebreakers in trying to get a conversation started with a woman. I was interested in a woman last night but all I did was stare at her: she was a beautiful dark haried brunette too! but she was with 2 of her friends and that makes it hard too when a woman is with 2 of their friends I mean if you go up to them than you might get rejected in front of the womans 2 friends and its embarassing. I wouldn;t have had a clue to what to say to that beauiful brunette bombshell last night anyway even if I went too up her. I mean I'm 27 years old now and I have to shake this problem off somehow/someway because I'm too old too be having this problem. I believe I have alot to offer a woman but women aren't going to see what I have to offer if I don;t man up and start showing them that I'm interested in getting to know them. Women like me as a person too talk too I think but don't see me as boyfriend material I think.

Written By: tv on 08/02/07 at 5:52 pm

Be funny, but not the nervous kind.

Be smart, but don't be a show off.

Engage in a good conversation about a very personal cause.

Like movies, music, puppies, teddy bears, flowers and lace, lol

I'm not very funny, but I'm not a show-off. I am nervous of women but I see your point in that I have to get un-nervous of women. Whats lace can I ask is that like women's undergarments or something? Now I can talk to them about music and puppies.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/02/07 at 5:57 pm

Let me tell you a little secret...
There are more women than men right now,i don't know how old you are and where you are,but everywhere i see girls dying to meet someone,the media keeps selling this lie that all women are picky and only care about money and status,don't believe any of that,don't ever think the woman you're interested in is out of your league,that's total bs,that's the reason why so many attractive women are alone,shy men assume they don't get a chance and the girls have to put up with all sort of arrogant jerks.

You just have to overcome your shyness and talk to girls,don't put much thought into it,just talk to them like you would talk to a friend,try to find common interests and go from there. If you want to ask a girl out,say something like: "Hey that movie just opened,want to go see it sometime?",keep it casual,and romance is all about flirting,tease her,little hints here and there so she will know you like her.

In a way i guess guys do have it harder,because when you put yourself outthere you can hear a lot of no's,but that can't keep you from trying,the girl for you exists,it's only a matter of time :)

Written By: tv on 08/02/07 at 5:58 pm

What do you mean by surprise her? Can you explain more by what you mean in terms of surprising her?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 6:01 pm

The problem is I don;t have good icebreakers in trying to get a conversation started with a woman. I was interested in a woman last night but all I did was stare at her: she was a beautiful dark haried brunette too! but she was with 2 of her friends and that makes it hard too when a woman is with 2 of their friends I mean if you go up to them than you might get rejected in front of the womans 2 friends and its embarassing. I wouldn;t have had a clue to what to say to that beauiful brunette bombshell last night anyway even if I went too up her. I mean I'm 27 years old now and I have to shake this problem off somehow/someway because I'm too old too be having this problem. I believe I have alot to offer a woman but women aren't going to see what I have to offer if I don;t man up and start showing them that I'm interested in getting to know them. Women like me as a person too talk too I think but don't see me as boyfriend material I think.

Yeah, being alone and talking to people with friends can feel awkward, like you're outnumbered, lol. I do get basically where you're coming from, though.

So you tend to just have female friends but none of them see you as being a guy they'd want to date? Yeah, that can be a tough situation and I've often been the "friend" type too. It would depend on the situation I guess, but maybe the best thing to do it wait just enough to kind of know them, then ask if they want to hang out or catch a movie, etc.

If it's any consolation, I'm only 2 years younger than you and even though I tend to be pretty good socially most of the time, I've been where you are quite a bit too.

Written By: tv on 08/02/07 at 6:21 pm

Let me tell you a little secret...
There are more women than men right now,i don't know how old you are and where you are,but everywhere i see girls dying to meet someone,the media keeps selling this lie that all women are picky and only care about money and status,don't believe any of that,don't ever think the woman you're interested in is out of your league,that's total bs,that's the reason why so many attractive women are alone,shy men assume they don't get a chance and the girls have to put up with all sort of arrogant jerks.

You just have to overcome your shyness and talk to girls,don't put much thought into it,just talk to them like you would talk to a friend,try to find common interests and go from there. If you want to ask a girl out,say something like: "Hey that movie just opened,want to go see it sometime?",keep it casual,and romance is all about flirting,tease her,little hints here and there so she will know you like her.

In a way i guess guys do have it harder,because when you put yourself outthere you can hear a lot of no's,but that can't keep you from trying,the girl for you exists,it's only a matter of time :)
I live in New Jersey and I am 27 years old just so you know. I don't believe all women are gold diggers and I do think that there alot of good women out there of all ethncities that have alot of to offer. As far as women being out of my league yeah I do think some women are out of my league but thanks for the cofidence boost that no women are out of my league.

Yeah I got rejected twice in a week about 9 months ago and it stings especially the one rejection that really hurt. That one like really shattered my confidence with women.  I introduced myself and told her my name and I asked her name but she wouldn;t budge and she rejected me. Was that the right way to go about it in introducing myself and asking her name or maybe I should have started a conversation first before doing that. She was doing her homework so maybe it just wasn't a good time for her to talk to me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/07 at 6:38 pm

I was down at the New Amsterdam
Staring at this yellow haired girl
Mr. Jones strikes up a conversation
with this black haired flamenco dancer
She dances while her father plays guitar
She's suddenly beautiful
Well we all want something beautiful
Man, I wish I was beautiful

So come dance this silence down thru the morning
Cut up, Maria
Give me one of those Spanish dances
And pass me a bottle, Mister Jones

Believe in me
Help me believe in anything
I want to be someone who believes

Mr. Jones and me tell each other fairy tales
Stare at the beautiful women
"She's looking at you. Ah, no, no, she's looking at me."
Smiling in the bright lights
Coming through in stereo
When everybody loves you, you can never be lonely

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/07 at 7:07 pm

It's easier than you think.

The annoying part is keeping them happy.

But seriously, walk over, introduce yourself, cut the bulls**t and talk.. if they're not interested, no worries, move on.. it's kind of like baseball, you're gonna flail at a few curve balls before you finally crush that BP fastball.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/02/07 at 8:28 pm

Oh, getting a girl interested in you is not hard at all.

Simply stand next to a chick you are interested in, and say something like "Oh boy, I have maxed the FDIC limit in my bank account again", or "Excuse me, can you tell me where the nearest Bentley dealer is?"

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/07 at 9:01 pm

Oh, getting a girl interested in you is not hard at all.

Simply stand next to a chick you are interested in, and say something like "Oh boy, I have maxed the FDIC limit in my bank account again", or "Excuse me, can you tell me where the nearest Bentley dealer is?"

If that does not work, then there's the old reliable "Wanna @$#& ?".  And if that doesn't quite work then ask her "Well, does that mean that a @%#$ @@@ is out of the question ?"

Written By: tv on 08/02/07 at 9:10 pm

But seriously, walk over, introduce yourself, cut the bulls**t and talk.. if they're not interested, no worries, move on.. it's kind of like baseball, you're gonna flail at a few curve balls before you finally crush that BP fastball.
Oh ok so don;t take rejection by a woman to heart like I have been doing because a certain amount of women aren't going to like me anyway and some women will give me a chance to get to know them.

Written By: La Roche on 08/02/07 at 9:21 pm

Oh ok so don;t take rejection by a woman to heart like I have been doing because a certain amount of women aren't going to like me anyway and some women will give me a chance to get to know them.

No point taking it to heart.. just like there are a lot of women that you.. or I.. just simply wouldn't want to go out with, the same is true in the reverse.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/03/07 at 3:28 am

Just remember that if you say something stupid, they won't remember after a few more days and if you're really memorable, then they'd probably have gone out with you.

Girls usually like when you admit things about yourself that could be deemed embarrassing in our society (Such as sleeping with stuffed animals and the such.)

Also, show interest in their hobbies and preferences (And not their bodies!) And also compliment things that are their choice (Such as clothing or tastes in music, whatever...) rather than their body.

Try to make this conversation before flirting or asking her out somewhere. Then again, you may not want to listen to me, I haven't been in these situations, I'm only 16. :P

Written By: Howard on 08/03/07 at 6:45 am

If that does not work, then there's the old reliable "Wanna @$#& ?".  And if that doesn't quite work then ask her "Well, does that mean that a @%#$ @@@ is out of the question ?"

That only works well with whores and prostitutes. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/03/07 at 6:54 am

Maybe you are sabotaging yourself by going after women who seem aloof to you to begin with.  You seem like you zoom in on the ones who aren't paying attention to you.  How about forgetting about looking at someone and thinking that that is the person you want, and look around to see who is looking at you.  It is at least a start. 

Written By: Howard on 08/03/07 at 11:40 am

Davey,trust me You can never keep them happy.All they want is freakin'security! ::)

Written By: audkal on 08/03/07 at 12:03 pm

Just remember that if you say something stupid, they won't remember after a few more days and if you're really memorable, then they'd probably have gone out with you.

Girls usually like when you admit things about yourself that could be deemed embarrassing in our society (Such as sleeping with stuffed animals and the such.)

Also, show interest in their hobbies and preferences (And not their bodies!) And also compliment things that are their choice (Such as clothing or tastes in music, whatever...) rather than their body.

Try to make this conversation before flirting or asking her out somewhere. Then again, you may not want to listen to me, I haven't been in these situations, I'm only 16. :P

You may only be 16, but you are wise. 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/07 at 12:44 pm

I have said this before and I will say it again. If you want to win the hearts of women, learn to dance. How many times have you gone places where there is dancing (either a club or a wedding) and there are girls dancing with girls because their guys won't dance with them? And if you really want to WOW them, learn to waltz-which isn't that hard. If you can count to 3, you can waltz. One time, Carlos & I went to a wedding. We had the DJ play a waltz and we were the only couple on the dance floor. I could feel every eye in the place on us and I knew that every women there was so jealous of me because my guy danced a very romantic dance with me and their guys wouldn't.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/07 at 3:37 pm

That only works well with whores and prostitutes. ;D

And how exactly do you know this, Howard? ???

;)

Written By: Tia on 08/03/07 at 4:52 pm

anyone hoping to win the affection of a woman should know that they are totally obsessed and preoccupied with penis size. overcoming shyness and developing strategies for interpersonal relationships is all well and good, but unless you're packing at least eight thick inches of pendulous endowment, you might want to just focus on your hobbies.

j/k! er, i think.

Written By: tv on 08/03/07 at 6:38 pm

Maybe you are sabotaging yourself by going after women who seem aloof to you to begin with.   You seem like you zoom in on the ones who aren't paying attention to you.  How about forgetting about looking at someone and thinking that that is the person you want, and look around to see who is looking at you.  It is at least a start. 
Thats pretty good advice yeah I really don;t look around that much too see which women are  interested in me but  I just basically look at the women I'm just interested in and thats it so basically I need to look around more to see which women are eyeing me and maybe go up to them and get a conversation going.

Thanks for the advice.

Written By: La Roche on 08/03/07 at 8:37 pm

Davey,trust me You can never keep them happy.All they want is freakin'security! ::)

I know Howard, I know.

It's all - I want this.. Who's blood is this.. Why are their lipstick marks on your co...  You moved.. and didn't tell me!!

Written By: La Roche on 08/03/07 at 8:37 pm

anyone hoping to win the affection of a woman should know that they are totally obsessed and preoccupied with penis size. overcoming shyness and developing strategies for interpersonal relationships is all well and good, but unless you're packing at least eight thick inches of pendulous endowment, you might want to just focus on your hobbies.

j/k! er, i think.

Thankfully my hobby is cock pushups.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/07 at 6:41 am

And how exactly do you know this, Howard? ???

;)

I have no clue.No prostitutes ever came over my house before.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/07 at 6:44 am

I know Howard, I know.

It's all - I want this.. Who's blood is this.. Why are their lipstick marks on your co...  You moved.. and didn't tell me!!

And to think Her And I have been seeing each other almost 3 years this coming October 10th and she still wants security!The only problem is,I can't take care of her right now,She should let her Mother And Father do the job,not me.She takes too many medications and stuff.I just don't know if Her And I will be able to live together cause It's a hard process.

Written By: La Roche on 08/04/07 at 11:39 am

And to think Her And I have been seeing each other almost 3 years this coming October 10th and she still wants security!The only problem is,I can't take care of her right now,She should let her Mother And Father do the job,not me.She takes too many medications and stuff.I just don't know if Her And I will be able to live together cause It's a hard process.

Yeah, I've gone out with birds who take too many pills...

but they usually live in squalid bedsits and just pass out at inopportune moments.

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/07 at 12:00 pm

When I was in High School, it seemed like you either had to be a B-Boy or on drugs to get a girl.  The bigger aszzwhole you were, the better the girl you got, which is why I never had a girl

I was always shy to talk to women, and I still sort of am.  The best way to approach a woman is just to think of her as if you and her were friends for a long time.  That way you can strike up a conversation without feeling nervous

Written By: danootaandme on 08/04/07 at 3:27 pm

When I was in High School, it seemed like you either had to be a B-Boy or on drugs to get a girl.  The bigger aszzwhole you were, the better the girl you got, which is why I never had a girl

I have heard this one before, bunch of bull. The truth is the girl you wanted wanted a B-Boy or a guy on drugs.  Meanwhile there were probably girls who wanted to go out with you, but you were too busy looking at the ones you couldn't have, turning up your nose and the ones you could have the same way those other girls were turning up their noses at you.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/04/07 at 3:41 pm

^
Good post,karma for you!

I'm so tired of guys talking about women like we only care about looks,money and dick size,wtf?

Written By: tv on 08/04/07 at 4:50 pm

^
Good post,karma for you!

I'm so tired of guys talking about women like we only care about looks,money and dick size,wtf?
I myself never thought women cared how big I was endowed down there. Women want alot more than that in my opinion especially women in my age range(I'm 27.).

Written By: Howard on 08/04/07 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, I've gone out with birds who take too many pills...

but they usually live in squalid bedsits and just pass out at inopportune moments.

How much medications?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/07 at 7:46 pm

^
Good post,karma for you!

It's what inside that counts. :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/07 at 9:22 pm

I have heard this one before, bunch of bull. The truth is the girl you wanted wanted a B-Boy or a guy on drugs.  Meanwhile there were probably girls who wanted to go out with you, but you were too busy looking at the ones you couldn't have, turning up your nose and the ones you could have the same way those other girls were turning up their noses at you.

This is true yes, but all the nice girls already had boyfriends.  The ones who didn't only wanted drug addicts or B-Boys.  I did plenty of investigating during my years there.  lol

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/05/07 at 5:17 am

I was always shy to talk to women, and I still sort of am.  The best way to approach a woman is just to think of her as if you and her were friends for a long time.  That way you can strike up a conversation without feeling nervous

Yeah, I think it's best to relate to someone as friends or acquaintances first. No matter what the situation is, that's how I am pretty much. The way I see it, even if someone does become a boyfriend/girlfriend down the road, you're going to be "getting along with them" and relating as friends anyway (the dating is just extra), so why not start out with that mindset? ;)

Of course everyone is different, but I guess the best advice I can give is don't always actively try looking for a girlfriend (or a boyfriend if you're female, lol). If you get one just from the course of being friends or meeting people they know, etc. that's just something else cool to come out of it.

^
Good post,karma for you!

Well if it helps at all, I certainly don't think that way. For the record, I consider myself a bit of a feminist. However, negative assumptions can cut both ways sometimes, and neither is probably accurate for most people of either gender. Unfortunately, it tends to be the few bad examples which set the stereotypes and get people talking (for almost anything, really). Whether it means the image of guys just wanting sex, or women who are materalistic, I think they're both equally bad. As are any other kinds of stereotyping, no matter who's on the other end of it.

Written By: Tia on 08/05/07 at 10:30 am

It's what inside that counts. :)
well, that and height. women require you to be at least 5 foot ten.

im sorry, i appear to be a little bitter. :-[

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/05/07 at 10:38 am

Yes,you just keep talking about size! ::)

Written By: Tia on 08/05/07 at 10:50 am

Yes,you just keep talking about size! ::)
once, my friend jason and me were chit-chatting with some gals -- french au pairs, this time, as it happened -- and they started talking about their ideal men. okay, first they were tall. second, they were rich. third, they were athletic. fourth, they were accomplished soccer players. fifth, they were exceedingly considerate and romantic. sixth (and i think they actually mentioned this first), they were good in bed, which i read as meaning their manparts were bigger and thicker than full-grown otters. and the list actually went on and on, but already i was like, okay, they have to work all that time to make all that money, where are they going to find the time to do the four hours of daily workouts to keep in the kind of world-class soccer-player shape you're after? and work in their regimen of penile extension exercises? and then if they DO do all that how are they going to be anything but irritable and hateful? and they SURE won't feel romantic after all those fifteen hour days they have to devote to meeting your expectations. and then, i added (or wished i'd  :P), you didn't put anything about how you wanted them to be intelligent, or wise, or do charitable good works, i got really irritable... but then i remembered, wait. these girls are silly twits. why do i care what they think? ;D but i think whenever anyone hears from anyone what their expectations of a mate are, you immediately start comparing yourself to them and it's impossible not to feel like you're coming up wanting. i dunno, it's like a psychological thing.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/05/07 at 11:01 am

Here's my take on it...

I'm 21 and am a complete...let's say I could do better. Despite what the media.etc might say, women are still cautious and rather selective - that's just nature. Dating sites, are a real hit and miss affair and mostly rubbish (although better than nothing)...although you can make the odd friend, coming from experience...

It just comes down to being persistent and reading the signs. I think the first barrier is establishing that connection - and seeing if it's really 'geniune'...the trick is to not be too cautious that you come across like a Priest counselling her, but obviously don't do the full on Johnny Bravo thing - the problem with all this hoo ha about sexual harrassement and the like that line is getting thinner, and ironically, more blurred...so in some ways it's tougher for us fellas...Women are just so damn picky! Guess we'll have to clone supermodels or something and inject them with growth accelerant or something like that...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/07 at 3:41 pm

tv, I would ask you who or what people you are completely comfortable in approaching and talking to without any trouble. family of course, but when it comes to complete sttrangers, who is it?  guys, old people, store employees? Whoever you are comfortable in approaching securely and confidently, approach women with that same confident attitude, friendly, but not overly. be complimentary, but do it genuinely. If all else fails, approach a girl you're interested in and act like you went to 4th grade together and you remember her. Of course she'll look puzzled, so you act like you almost remember her name and get her to say it and then ask what school she went to in 4th grade, and then agree that you went there too. Then ask for the teachers name and then say yes, that's the one.

now seriously, this is really me just being a little bit silly but sometimes you gotta make your own breaks in life and if it takes a little trickery, well maybe she'll be mad for being tricked or think you're cute and funny and then you can say you just wanted to meet her in a different way so you'd remember it.  anyway, there's no secret formula, other than knowing you win some, you lose some, and no sweat if you aren't even given the time of day, or if you ask a girl to dance & she says no, respond with "no thanks, I really don't wanna dance anyway" & walk away ;D  but hopefully you'll gain the confidence needed to be around women and feel no insecurity about approaching & talking to them.

Written By: La Roche on 08/05/07 at 4:24 pm

How much medications?

Not those kinds of pills Howard.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/05/07 at 4:51 pm

once, my friend jason and me were chit-chatting with some gals -- french au pairs, this time, as it happened -- and they started talking about their ideal men. okay, first they were tall. second, they were rich. third, they were athletic. fourth, they were accomplished soccer players. fifth, they were exceedingly considerate and romantic. sixth (and i think they actually mentioned this first), they were good in bed, which i read as meaning their manparts were bigger and thicker than full-grown otters. and the list actually went on and on, but already i was like, okay, they have to work all that time to make all that money, where are they going to find the time to do the four hours of daily workouts to keep in the kind of world-class soccer-player shape you're after? and work in their regimen of penile extension exercises? and then if they DO do all that how are they going to be anything but irritable and hateful? and they SURE won't feel romantic after all those fifteen hour days they have to devote to meeting your expectations. and then, i added (or wished i'd  :P), you didn't put anything about how you wanted them to be intelligent, or wise, or do charitable good works, i got really irritable... but then i remembered, wait. these girls are silly twits. why do i care what they think? ;D but i think whenever anyone hears from anyone what their expectations of a mate are, you immediately start comparing yourself to them and it's impossible not to feel like you're coming up wanting. i dunno, it's like a psychological thing.

French au pairs,were they over 16? ::)

Written By: Tia on 08/05/07 at 5:13 pm

French au pairs,were they over 16? ::)
in dog years, yeah. barely.

naw, they were pretty much my age. it was funny because then one of them hooked up with this little short poor callous dude. he had totally none of her prerequisites and she followed him around like a puppy. it was rather sad, in fact.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/05/07 at 5:23 pm

in dog years, yeah. barely.

naw, they were pretty much my age. it was funny because then one of them hooked up with this little short poor callous dude. he had totally none of her prerequisites and she followed him around like a puppy. it was rather sad, in fact.

As cheesy as it sounds,love sometimes is really,really blind :D

Other times,you get lucky and the one you fall for is just absolutely perfect...mind,body and soul 8)

Written By: La Roche on 08/05/07 at 5:56 pm

but i think whenever anyone hears from anyone what their expectations of a mate are, you immediately start comparing yourself to them and it's impossible not to feel like you're coming up wanting. i dunno, it's like a psychological thing.

Big tits, nice ass, compliant personality, obedient.. hmmmm.. smart, but not smart enough to outwit me.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/05/07 at 6:24 pm

Although you're not going to get anything over two inches in there...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/07 at 6:56 pm

Although you're not going to get anything over two inches in there...
and how would you know this

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/05/07 at 7:18 pm

and how would you know this

... *Looks to the left, then to the right...* Uh... Nevermind.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/07 at 6:13 am

That's not true.

Written By: Tia on 08/06/07 at 6:16 am

That's not true.
no, really. i'm bitter.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/06/07 at 7:07 am

These guys never didn't seem to have problems, and don't give the "well he's famous"  stuff, most of these guys had did alright before becoming rich and famous, and not all are Paul Newman.  I am a tall woman 5'9" and have tall friends, and we have all dated men shorter than us, when you care about someone it is the person, not the looks, or the height, that matter.  Maybe you are just "Looking for love in all the wrong places"

4 ft 10

Robert Reich

4 ft 11 in

Deng Xiaoping — politician
Bill Shoemaker — jockey

5 ft

Danny DeVito — actor
Aron Eisenberg — actor
Jean-Paul Sartre — author, existentialist philosopher, and critic

5 feet 6 inches.

Alan Ladd
Buster Keaton

5 feet 7 inches.

Tom Cruise
Paul Newman

5 feet 8 inches

Dustin Hoffman
Al Pacino
Tobey Maguire

5 feet 9 inches
Antonio Banderas

Written By: audkal on 08/06/07 at 12:00 pm

These guys never didn't seem to have problems, and don't give the "well he's famous"  stuff, most of these guys had did alright before becoming rich and famous, and not all are Paul Newman.  I am a tall woman 5'9" and have tall friends, and we have all dated men shorter than us, when you care about someone it is the person, not the looks, or the height, that matter.  Maybe you are just "Looking for love in all the wrong places"

4 ft 10

Robert Reich

4 ft 11 in

Deng Xiaoping — politician
Bill Shoemaker — jockey

5 ft

Danny DeVito — actor
Aron Eisenberg — actor
Jean-Paul Sartre — author, existentialist philosopher, and critic

5 feet 6 inches.

Alan Ladd
Buster Keaton

5 feet 7 inches.

Tom Cruise
Paul Newman

5 feet 8 inches

Dustin Hoffman
Al Pacino
Tobey Maguire

5 feet 9 inches
Antonio Banderas

Very true, also from what I remember, Frankie Muniz is 5' 4" and American Idol's Blake Lewis is 5' 7".

ETA:  Oh yeah, and Mickey Rooney is 5' 3".

Written By: Howard on 08/06/07 at 3:52 pm

Big tits, nice ass, compliant personality, obedient.. hmmmm.. smart, but not smart enough to outwit me.

my type of girl. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/06/07 at 5:53 pm

no, really. i'm bitter.

Ok, now listen, I saw your photos on the vacation thread and if you think it is your looks or your weight, your an idiot.  Jeez, I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't that.  You, my lad, have it going on, the problem isn't your looks, that is for sure.  Bitter, you better not be bitter about the ladies.  I don't know what else to say, you damn fool{walks away grumbling(looking that good and complaining about it, kids these days got nothing better to do than run themselves down).........}

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/06/07 at 6:04 pm

Ok, now listen, I saw your photos on the vacation thread and if you think it is your looks or your weight, your an idiot.  Jeez, I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't that.  You, my lad, have it going on, the problem isn't your looks, that is for sure.  Bitter, you better not be bitter about the ladies.  I don't know what else to say, you damn fool{walks away grumbling(looking that good and complaining about it, kids these days got nothing better to do than run themselves down).........}

Now,there is someone who tells it like it is! 8)

Written By: Tam on 08/06/07 at 8:19 pm

I have read the whole thread and I have got to say..... Whoa!

tv - first of all, I read your posts, and I know you are trying to get what you want. Correct me if I am wrong, but I also read between the lines that you are so down on yourself that it might be showing through when you approach a woman. As it has been said, you need to remain confident when you approach a woman, because if she even senses the slightest bit of self-doubt - she will bolt quick! I understand you have been rejected, but take that as a learning experience, remember what you did and what you said, and do it differently the next time.

Ok - so this is cheesy as all heck, but let me tell you - IT WORKED.
My cousin and I were out at a club one night, minding our own business, having a few drinks etc.
This guy came out of nowhere and said to my cousin... "Sorry to bother you, but I had to come tell you that red looks great on you!" then he walked away.
We chuckled about it, but then 20 minutes later, my cousin was asking if I saw him anywhere in the club, literally took me by the hand and started hunting for this guy. I kept asking her why we were looking for him and all she could say was "he didn't hit on me or act like an ass.... he didn't even come back or hang around like most 'pigs' do..." (sorry guys)! She eventually found him, sitting on the other side of the club, drinking a drink with his back literally to us. She walked over and thanked him for the compliment, then sat there talking to him for pretty much the rest of the night. He didn't ask for her number or assume anything from the conversation. When it was time to leave, it was my cousin asking for a number.....

And they have been married for 7 years now!

I know not every situation will turn out like this - but if you try giving an honestly compliment and leaving it at that - you never know what might happen. I will advise though - if you use this approach, do not then go somewhere and spy to see if you are getting a reaction - it turns into a creepy thing that way for sure! ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/07/07 at 3:16 pm

Check out this website:

www.sosuave.com

It's done me a world of good.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/07/07 at 4:34 pm

Check out this website:

www.sosuave.com

It's done me a world of good.  ;)

nice site,very informative. :)

Written By: tv on 08/07/07 at 5:20 pm

I have read the whole thread and I have got to say..... Whoa!

tv - first of all, I read your posts, and I know you are trying to get what you want. Correct me if I am wrong, but I also read between the lines that you are so down on yourself that it might be showing through when you approach a woman. As it has been said, you need to remain confident when you approach a woman, because if she even senses the slightest bit of self-doubt - she will bolt quick! I understand you have been rejected, but take that as a learning experience, remember what you did and what you said, and do it differently the next time.

Ok - so this is cheesy as all heck, but let me tell you - IT WORKED.
My cousin and I were out at a club one night, minding our own business, having a few drinks etc.
This guy came out of nowhere and said to my cousin... "Sorry to bother you, but I had to come tell you that red looks great on you!" then he walked away.
We chuckled about it, but then 20 minutes later, my cousin was asking if I saw him anywhere in the club, literally took me by the hand and started hunting for this guy. I kept asking her why we were looking for him and all she could say was "he didn't hit on me or act like an ass.... he didn't even come back or hang around like most 'pigs' do..." (sorry guys)! She eventually found him, sitting on the other side of the club, drinking a drink with his back literally to us. She walked over and thanked him for the compliment, then sat there talking to him for pretty much the rest of the night. He didn't ask for her number or assume anything from the conversation. When it was time to leave, it was my cousin asking for a number.....

And they have been married for 7 years now!

I know not every situation will turn out like this - but if you try giving an honestly compliment and leaving it at that - you never know what might happen. I will advise though - if you use this approach, do not then go somewhere and spy to see if you are getting a reaction - it turns into a creepy thing that way for sure! ;)
Yes I am trying to get what I want. I haven;t approached really approaced a woman since 9-10 months ago although I did try to get with another girl but I screwed that up too sort of and I did talk actually to her but I messed everything up a few days later by doing saying I shouldn;t have said but like you said I have to learn from my past mistakes with approaching women. As far as being down in regards and it showing through in th way I approaching women I really don;t even approach any women anymore. Like I said before its rough if your interested in a girl but she has like 2-3 of her girlfirends around her and you have to compete with other guys on the restaraunt bar scene for girls. I have to find some way to build strart building confidence in my self with approaching women because like you said if a woman that I am approaching senses self-doubt on my part she will bolt away from me.

BTW, anybody want to give advice on how to approach a woman when she is with 2-3 of her girlfiriends? Another question is should I smile at a girl that I am attracted too like if I'm at the restaurant bar just to give her a clue that I am attracted to her?

What I want too accomplish in terms of appproaching women is having a good comfort level within me in approaching/talking to them.

One thing I have learned recently that is going to help me big time with women is never go out of your way too be too nice too a woman because women do not like guys that kiss up to them to much.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/08/07 at 10:34 am

One thing I have learned recently that is going to help me big time with women is never go out of your way too be too nice too a woman because women do not like guys that kiss up to them to much.

We don't? ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/08/07 at 10:50 am

We don't? ???

It's what basically kept my relationship going for as long as it did. :P

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/08/07 at 10:54 am

It's what basically kept my relationship going for as long as it did. :P

Yes,kisses are important in a relationship!

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/08/07 at 11:02 am

Oh, you word twister.

Me not kissing enough is what broke it up. :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/08/07 at 3:46 pm

Yes I am trying to get what I want. I haven;t approached really approaced a woman since 9-10 months ago although I did try to get with another girl but I screwed that up too sort of and I did talk actually to her but I messed everything up a few days later by doing saying I shouldn;t have said but like you said I have to learn from my past mistakes with approaching women. As far as being down in regards and it showing through in th way I approaching women I really don;t even approach any women anymore. Like I said before its rough if your interested in a girl but she has like 2-3 of her girlfirends around her and you have to compete with other guys on the restaraunt bar scene for girls. I have to find some way to build strart building confidence in my self with approaching women because like you said if a woman that I am approaching senses self-doubt on my part she will bolt away from me.

BTW, anybody want to give advice on how to approach a woman when she is with 2-3 of her girlfiriends? Another question is should I smile at a girl that I am attracted too like if I'm at the restaurant bar just to give her a clue that I am attracted to her?

What I want too accomplish in terms of appproaching women is having a good comfort level within me in approaching/talking to them.

I suggest that you just walk up to them and strike up a conversation by opening with "Hello, how are you ladies enjoying your evening?" or something simple like that.  If they aren't offended by you they'll be polite and you'll eventually know if the one you're zeroing in on is interested.  If not, you don't know her anyway and now you're free to do whatever with another potential target :)

Written By: Howard on 08/08/07 at 7:04 pm

French Kiss(with a little tongue)?

Written By: Howard on 08/08/07 at 7:05 pm

Oh, you word twister.

Me not kissing enough is what broke it up. :P

And I'm still together with mine.(3 years this October)

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/09/07 at 4:32 pm

I suggest that you just walk up to them and strike up a conversation by opening with "Hello, how are you ladies enjoying your evening?" or something simple like that.  If they aren't offended by you they'll be polite and you'll eventually know if the one you're zeroing in on is interested.  If not, you don't know her anyway and now you're free to do whatever with another potential target :)

Listen to smooth operator,he did get Jess so he must be right 8)

French Kiss(with a little tongue)?

Naturellement!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/07 at 4:57 pm

What do you mean by surprise her? Can you explain more by what you mean in terms of surprising her?

Surprise her by doing something special out of the blue, a nice gesture - like opening the door for her, leaving a flower in on the car seat for her. Make her a special CD of music that you think she'd like.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/09/07 at 5:34 pm

When trying to attract someone, I think the most important thing is for you to be yourself...

Written By: DoctorFate on 08/09/07 at 5:39 pm

When trying to attract someone, I think the most important thing is for you to be yourself...

^ What if you've got an identity problem?

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/09/07 at 5:40 pm

Surprise her by doing something special out of the blue, a nice gesture - like opening the door for her, leaving a flower in on the car seat for her. Make her a special CD of music that you think she'd like.

Mixed tapes are my specialty. >:-}D

I even got some in return! ; D

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/09/07 at 5:41 pm

^ ^ What if you've got an identity problem?

Yeah ... what if that's the case?
:D ;D :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/09/07 at 5:44 pm

If that person likes you, then they'll accept you as you are... :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/09/07 at 5:51 pm

Whichever way you act is yourself.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/09/07 at 5:58 pm

'Be yourself ...'

If that person likes you, then they'll accept you as you are... :)

.... and other platitudes.  >:( >:(  Such folk wisdom ... well .. it sure hasn't worked  :( :\'(

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mdi/images/bckgrd/bckgrd_big/PREDATOR.JPG
for me! (give us a kiss, baby!  :-* :-* ).
:D

Written By: Howard on 08/09/07 at 7:32 pm

Naturellement!

Robin hates when I slobber and French Kiss at the same time. ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/09/07 at 9:50 pm

Robin hates when I slobber and French Kiss at the same time. ;D

I don't know any woman who would like that. 

Like many of the other posters said...be yourself.

Go places other than bars to meet women.  Try a bookstore, a musem or a park.  You can't really talk to someone in a bar. 

Do you own a dog?  If you do, go to a dog park.  A dog is a great ice-breaker.  What girl can resist a cute puppy? 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/09/07 at 10:35 pm

I think I was batting under the Mendoza line but I started some interesting conversations anyway :D

Written By: tv on 08/09/07 at 10:50 pm

Go places other than bars to meet women.  Try a bookstore, a musem or a park.  You can't really talk to someone in a bar. 

Do you own a dog?  If you do, go to a dog park.  A dog is a great ice-breaker.  What girl can resist a cute puppy? 
I do go to the bookstore. I don't know how to go up to a woman in a bookstore because they might be reading a book or magazine and I don;t want to be rude in going up to them when they are reading or looking around in the magazine section. I used to go to the park. A museum: I really don;t go to them what do women like the art museums? Unfortanately I don;t own a dog but I do love dogs.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/09/07 at 10:54 pm

Go to the grocery store.  Great place to meet random people.

With the bookstore, depending on how quick-witted you are, you can comment on the book she's reading and see if that will allow a conversation to start.  Unless you screw up and reveal a spoiler point, you'd probably be able to snag a dialogue out of that.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/07 at 6:23 am

Unless that girl would be a prostitute.  ;D

Written By: DoctorFate on 08/10/07 at 7:28 am

Hey 'Buster'! That's my sister you're talking about! Want to step outside?  >:( >:( >:(

Ok ... Ok! I confess ...

:-[ :-[

I don't have a sister!
:D

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/10/07 at 10:49 am

Not true, most prostitutes don't kiss on the lips.

I do go to the bookstore. I don't know how to go up to a woman in a bookstore because they might be reading a book or magazine and I don;t want to be rude in going up to them when they are reading or looking around in the magazine section. I used to go to the park. A museum: I really don;t go to them what do women like the art museums? Unfortanately I don;t own a dog but I do love dogs.

Get a book and a cup of coffee and sit down, an opportunity may present itself. 

I would never consider a person to be rude if they came up to me and said "Excuse me, I see you're reading a book by Dean Koontz, which one is you favorite?" or "Could you recommend a good one?".

I dunno, I have never been big on bars for meeting people. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/10/07 at 11:03 am

Bars are too noisy and impersonal. 

Written By: Howard on 08/10/07 at 1:44 pm

Just take them to the back of Pathmark,It's pretty desolate over there. ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/10/07 at 1:45 pm

Not true, most prostitutes don't kiss on the lips.

Get a book and a cup of coffee and sit down, an opportunity may present itself. 

I would never consider a person to be rude if they came up to me and said "Excuse me, I see you're reading a book by Dean Koontz, which one is you favorite?" or "Could you recommend a good one?".

I dunno, I have never been big on bars for meeting people. 

So they don't french? ???

Written By: tv on 08/10/07 at 4:31 pm

At the restarunt bar I go too I have made conversation with other guys and 1 older woman(she was with her husband)but I have not hooked up with any women at the restaraunt bar scene not that I am trying to pick up guys but you know its just good in a restaraunt bar setting you just talk too whoever. I would never go to a non-restaruant bar the music is too loud(as you said)and you can't even hear yourself talk.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/10/07 at 5:04 pm

So they don't french? ???

Not unless the can French with other parts of their bodies.  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/11/07 at 2:11 am

Not unless the can French with other parts of their bodies.  ;D

I don't know about you, but I've got tongues coming out of every orifice... And I mean every orifice.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/07 at 6:46 am

I don't know about you, but I've got tongues coming out of every orifice... And I mean every orifice.

I don't want to know. ::) :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/11/07 at 2:34 pm

You must be the taco truck's favorite patron.

Check for new replies or respond here...