inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Share/Experience a new Song

Written By: NbC on 08/12/07 at 5:09 am

Sometimes I get stuck in a rot and only listen to what I am familiar with.  I am quite interested in broadening my music tastes.  Do you know of a song that you really enjoy that isn't very well known and would like to share?  Obviously, we can't share the actual song file but we can share the title and artist.  Feedback would be great,  likes and dislikes. 

One of my favorites:

Faith No More:  Edge Of The World

Subject: Re: Share/Experience a new Song

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/07 at 5:34 am

The wish I to share with everyone and some may already know. It is my cheer-up and makes me start feeling happy again song.

Spicks and Specks by the Bee Gees.

Written By: NbC on 08/12/07 at 7:14 am

The wish I to share with everyone and some may already know. It is my cheer-up and makes me start feeling happy again song.

Spicks and Specks by the Bee Gees.

Thanks for sharing.  I hadn't heard that song before.  I looked it up on youtube and it has quite a catchy beat.  I can see why it cheers you up...definately made me smile.  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/12/07 at 12:14 pm

The entire 'Birthday Party' LP by The Idle Race is something I recently 'acquired'...

If you like all things late-60s, English and 'whimsical', then this comes highly recommended...

The group itself didn't score in a major way, but one of their members, Jeff Lynne, did...

Written By: Apricot on 08/12/07 at 12:25 pm

Sometimes I get stuck in a rot and only listen to what I am familiar with.  I am quite interested in broadening my music tastes.  Do you know of a song that you really enjoy that isn't very well known and would like to share?  Obviously, we can't share the actual song file but we can share the title and artist.  Feedback would be great,  likes and dislikes. 

One of my favorites:

Speaking of Faith No More, I'd like to share a related project of Mike Patton's.. he was involved with Faith No More, and I think Fantomas is another good band. I'd say check their version of The Godfather Theme... it's excellent.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/07 at 5:02 pm

I posted this a while ago (and only Henk mentioned that he listened to it).

http://www.portcharlesexplosion.com/music.htm

The four songs that I LOVE from this are: "The Gift", "Surrender", "Naked Eyes", & "Give It To Me".

I would love to have people listen to them and tell me what you think.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/12/07 at 5:25 pm

I have a bunch, but how about

Soul Serenade - King Curtis

Written By: NbC on 08/12/07 at 8:55 pm

The entire 'Birthday Party' LP by The Idle Race is something I recently 'acquired'...

If you like all things late-60s, English and 'whimsical', then this comes highly recommended...

The group itself didn't score in a major way, but one of their members, Jeff Lynne, did...

Definitely has a whimsical sound and very uplifting.  Quite a different sound from ELO.  Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of Faith No More, I'd like to share a related project of Mike Patton's.. he was involved with Faith No More, and I think Fantomas is another good band. I'd say check their version of The Godfather Theme... it's excellent.

My first time to listen to the song I was thinking "what the?" but after playing it a couple more times it grew on me.  I can see why you like it. 

I posted this a while ago (and only Henk mentioned that he listened to it).

http://www.portcharlesexplosion.com/music.htm

The four songs that I LOVE from this are: "The Gift", "Surrender", "Naked Eyes", & "Give It To Me".

I would love to have people listen to them and tell me what you think.

Cat

I liked those Cat.  I started to listen to the other songs also. 

I have a bunch, but how about

Soul Serenade - King Curtis

Unfortunately, I am not to crazy about soul music. I know, I am bad.  Thanks for sharing though.

Written By: Apricot on 08/12/07 at 10:17 pm

My first time to listen to the song I was thinking "what the?" but after playing it a couple more times it grew on me.  I can see why you like it. 

Yeah, Fantomas is very unique, even as far as experimental music goes.. it's one of my favorite of Mike Patton's projects.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/13/07 at 1:50 am

Sometimes I get stuck in a rot and only listen to what I am familiar with.  I am quite interested in broadening my music tastes.   Do you know of a song that you really enjoy that isn't very well known and would like to share?  Obviously, we can't share the actual song file but we can share the title and artist.  Feedback would be great,  likes and dislikes. 

One of my favorites:

I'm the same way. I don't allow myself to listen to new stuff very often, but once in awhile I'll be exposed to new music I've never heard just like I was yesterday on a youtube video which really just surprised me and I don't know what the genre is & there is some explicit language, but the song kicked ass.  "Hero"  by Sevendust    I'm a classic rocker from way back, and this is way different but I like it  8)

Written By: KKay on 08/13/07 at 7:08 am

i like world music and jazz too and my recent favorite is from Sergio Mendes on the Brasiliero album.  The song is called Magalenha.  maybe you can listen to it on amazon or something- such a fun, great beat!
and a thousand thanks for Tia sending me Red Mercury by Corduroy.  I still can't get enough and he turned me onto them last year!

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 12:16 pm

In my constant searching for 80s hits, I found some obscure ones in the lower reaches of the North American and UK chart that I have come to really enjoy ...

State of the Nation - Industry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ibORn5k_P4

You Can - Madleen Kane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1cmLxjNq0

Fell Off A Mountain - Big Bam Boo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxs1yMHu_fk

If You Could See Me Now - Big Bam Boo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9AXSL1smEM

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/07 at 2:32 pm

Unfortunately, I am not to crazy about soul music. I know, I am bad.

What a shame!  You're missing out on a lot of really good music!  :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/13/07 at 2:35 pm

I generally listen to mainstream pop music spanning about 1981/'82 to 1998...that and any Weird Al. ;) But I like so much of it that there's always some new or forgotten stuff that I discover, lol. Would album tracks count too?

Written By: KKay on 08/13/07 at 3:46 pm

ifyou can find it, check out Carl Ayer's "everybody loves the sunshine"

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/13/07 at 4:00 pm

i like world music and jazz too and my recent favorite is from Sergio Mendes on the Brasiliero album.  The song is called Magalenha.   maybe you can listen to it on amazon or something- such a fun, great beat!
and a thousand thanks for Tia sending me Red Mercury by Corduroy.   I still can't get enough and he turned me onto them last year!

Ah Kay,karma for mentioning Magalenha,i love that song too :)

My recommendation is Vanessa da Mata and Ben Harpers duet Boa Sorte/ Good Luck
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y8dQP5srrGk

Written By: Howard on 08/13/07 at 4:03 pm

I always liked Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amor",That song makes me feel good. :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/07 at 4:09 pm

I always liked Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amor",That song makes me feel good. :)

That's a good one, Howard... :)

Written By: Howard on 08/13/07 at 4:16 pm

That's a good one, Howard... :)

When I felt broken up a few months ago with Robin,"All Out Of Love" By Air Supply made me feel good.

Written By: NbC on 08/13/07 at 9:32 pm

I'm the same way. I don't allow myself to listen to new stuff very often, but once in awhile I'll be exposed to new music I've never heard just like I was yesterday on a youtube video which really just surprised me and I don't know what the genre is & there is some explicit language, but the song kicked ass.  "Hero"  by Sevendust    I'm a classic rocker from way back, and this is way different but I like it  8)

Good choice.  I really like that song.  YouTube is great.  You can find just about anything on there. 

i like world music and jazz too and my recent favorite is from Sergio Mendes on the Brasiliero album.  The song is called Magalenha.   maybe you can listen to it on amazon or something- such a fun, great beat!

Makes you want to get up and dance....even though I can't dance.  ;)

In my constant searching for 80s hits, I found some obscure ones in the lower reaches of the North American and UK chart that I have come to really enjoy ...

I liked this one: 

If You Could See Me Now - Big Bam Boo

My recommendation is Vanessa da Mata and Ben Harpers duet Boa Sorte/ Good Luck
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y8dQP5srrGk

What a good song!  Thanks for sharing!

Written By: NbC on 08/13/07 at 9:43 pm

When I felt broken up a few months ago with Robin,"All Out Of Love" By Air Supply made me feel good.

I used to love Air Supply.  I don't feel the same way these days. 

Try this song by Hard Fi - Better Do Better 

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/13/07 at 10:04 pm

Recovery - New Buffalo
Grass - Animal Collective
Marble Tulip Juicy Tree - Ween
Nights Wave - Mice Parade
Section 22 (Running Away) - The Polyphonic Spree
When You Smile - The Flaming Lips
At My Funeral - Crash Test Dummies
Trouble With Dreams - Eels
You And Me And The Moon - The Magnetic Fields
Birdhouse In Your Soul - They Might Be Giants (This used to be very well known...)

Written By: Apricot on 08/13/07 at 10:20 pm

"Owl Eyes" by Devendra Banhart is a pleasant little song.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/13/07 at 11:01 pm

The Owls Go - Architecture In Helsinki
The Frug - Rilo Kiley
New Song (From Me To You) - Dressy Bessy
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) - The Arcade Fire
Jump They Say - David Bowie

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/07 at 12:34 am

Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) - The Arcade Fire

That song makes me sad :\'(

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/14/07 at 12:39 am

That song makes me sad :\'(

I think "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" is sadder.

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/07 at 1:13 am

I think "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" is sadder.

"Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)" was written about a terrible tragedy that affected alot of people, and took lots of lives :\'(

Written By: KKay on 08/15/07 at 6:44 am

Jump They Say - David Bowie

although i knew the song, i had an urge to hear it this week and put it on the ol' MP3 player for work.
good choice.

Try 1234 by Feist.  Love the song and a great video goes with it.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/16/07 at 12:38 am

although i knew the song, i had an urge to hear it this week and put it on the ol' MP3 player for work.
good choice.

Ah! I love that song, I just ordered the new album off of amazon. The last one was pretty good, too.

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/07 at 12:44 am

Feist is awesome.  I love her song 'My Moon My Man'

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/17/07 at 12:17 am

DJ Lance Lockarm, Bring the Muzik Back.  (MP3, 192Kbps, at the link)

In 2002, someone managed to put Public Enemy's Bring The Noise, Ice T's I'm Your Pusher, the Beastie Boys' Shake Your Rump, and M's Pop Muzik into the same track, and somehow be faithful to all four artists.

I've heard some interesting mash-ups, but this one's so elegant in its simplicity that it still doesn't fail to boggle my mind.  Genius.  Sheer genius. 

Written By: danootaandme on 08/17/07 at 5:14 am

New Shoes by Paolo Nutini is a great "goodtime" song. Makes you get up and stroll around the streets.

Written By: NbC on 08/17/07 at 6:48 am

Trouble With Dreams - Eels

Loved this song....just finished downloading a version.

Written By: NbC on 08/17/07 at 6:57 am

Quite an upbeat song.  I saw the video this morning on VH=1....liked how she bowed at the end.

New Shoes by Paolo Nutini is a great "goodtime" song. Makes you get up and stroll around the streets.

Fun song!

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/18/07 at 12:19 pm

The Ghost Of Trees - Las Pesadillas (I want KKay to hear this one...)

Written By: KKay on 08/19/07 at 8:56 am

The Ghost Of Trees - Las Pesadillas (I want KKay to hear this one...)

I'll tryt o find it..

See if y'all can find Barry Adamson's "Jazz Devil"
otherwise, you can find his instrumentals on the "Lost Highway" soundtrack.
He also has a myspace page.

Written By: Tam on 08/19/07 at 7:18 pm

Anything by a little Canadian group called Weeping Tile lifts my spirits up! My fav song by them is called "westray"

Here is the link to the New Duran Duran / Timberlake / Timbaland song "Night Runner" (scroll down to the microphone and click play)
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20038840_20038841_20047913,00.html#flashybit
I am loving this for real!

Another good one is "I'm your puppet" by James and Bobby Purify

I am sure I can come up with more! ;)

Written By: tv on 08/19/07 at 8:17 pm

I reccomend the following 1996 song:

Super Bon Bon by Soul Coughing: I think people will either love or hate this song but its a good combonation of rap, funk, soul, and rock. I also reccomend an early 1999 that got lost in the suffle of all the teen-pop: its called "At The Stars" by Better Than Ezra and its a pretty good song. I also reccomend the band "Weezer's" 2001 hit "Island In The Sun" and if you see the music video to the song they have a camel in the video I think.

R&B songs I'm reccomending:

"Be With You"-Elizabeth Withers(early 2007)
"Hate On Me"-Jill Scott(her current new one.)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/20/07 at 12:09 am

I reccomend the following 1996 song:

Super Bon Bon by Soul Coughing: I think people will either love or hate this song but its a good combonation of rap, funk, soul, and rock. I also reccomend an early 1999 that got lost in the suffle of all the teen-pop: its called "At The Stars" by Better Than Ezra and its a pretty good song. I also reccomend the band "Weezer's" 2001 hit "Island In The Sun" and if you see the music video to the song they have a camel in the video I think.

R&B songs I'm reccomending:

"Be With You"-Elizabeth Withers(early 2007)
"Hate On Me"-Jill Scott(her current new one.)

I prefer Mike Doughty solo than in Soul Coughing.

Written By: NbC on 08/20/07 at 5:58 am

While doing a search on Tears For Fears I ran across this song on YouTube Seven of Sundays Duet - Curt Smith.  I just loved it.  Karen (CF) if you haven't heard this song before give it a listen.  I would love to hear what you think of it.

A couple of my other favorites:

Worth - Mercy Fall

Flames - V.A.S.T

Written By: Henk on 08/25/07 at 4:23 am

Not exactly new music, this song...It dates back from 1964. I want you to watch & listen...

Come Wander With Me

Taken from the "Twilight Zone" episode of the same name, composed by Jeff Alexander and sung by the actress Bonnie Bleecher herself. More info found here.
It's a pity this song apparently never found its way to the charts.

FYI: The song was used for a commercial by Dutch insurance company RVS in 2006, which sparked my interest.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/25/07 at 4:50 am

I bring 3 songs to share, to the table:

Him- Rupert Holmes (the genius behind Escape/Pina Colada Song)

The Great Blondino- Stakka Bo (a more prominent Swedish artist; his tunes have actual messages)

You're No Different- Ozzy Osbourne (While some put him down for his past and discredit most of his work, this song has struck a powerful chord in me, because the song describes an outcast...much like I was.)

Check for new replies or respond here...