inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you organize your mp3s?

Written By: whistledοg on 08/16/07 at 5:16 pm

For those of you who listen to mp3s alot, do you organize them?

I download so many, and burn alot from vinyl and cassettes, that I have them all over the place in all kinds of directories on my HD.  One of these days, I need to organize them.  Sometimes I have to search my HD just to find a song I want to listen to LOL

Subject: Re: Do you organize your mp3s?

Written By: Red Ant on 08/16/07 at 8:05 pm

For those of you who listen to mp3s alot, do you organize them?

I download so many, and burn alot from vinyl and cassettes, that I have them all over the place in all kinds of directories on my HD.  One of these days, I need to organize them.  Sometimes I have to search my HD just to find a song I want to listen to LOL

I normally use the search feature to find if I have a song. One day when I'm not terribly busy I'll put them all in a few folders. I need to seperate out comedy recordings from karaoke tracks from MIDIs from albums and so on.

Why are you posting as a guest, Jason?  ???

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/07 at 8:18 pm

Why are you posting as a guest, Jason?  ???

Ant

I didn't want to add to my total topics started lol

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/17/07 at 12:56 am

I organize my mp3's in playlists, usually by my favorites.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/17/07 at 8:30 am

Yes.  Yes I do  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/17/07 at 10:15 am

I've downloaded a little over 2,000 Mp3s on my current hard drive, but unfortunately there not really organized. I have put about half of them on CD though.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/17/07 at 10:27 am

I use the 'search' to find my mp3's .. which are generally in subfolders.

Whilst on the topic of mp3's .. and I've thought in the past about starting a thread relating to this subject ... what do the posters so far / to follow ... think of the quality of mp3's compared to CD. Can you / could you really tell the difference (your ears)  if you were blindfolded .. didn't know for sure what you were listening to. Is 128kbps the 'best bang for your buck' .. or is it worth going to 192kbps and beyond?

I have encoded most of my CD's to 192kbps ... just 'cause I've currently got GB's to burn ... but frankly, a lot of the 128kbps sound fine to me ... though I have to confess that some of the mp3's sound more muted or tinny/thin. On the whole though, I'm quite happy!

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 12:20 pm

I use the 'search' to find my mp3's .. which are generally in subfolders.

Whilst on the topic of mp3's .. and I've thought in the past about starting a thread relating to this subject ... what do the posters so far / to follow ... think of the quality of mp3's compared to CD. Can you / could you really tell the difference (your ears)  if you were blindfolded .. didn't know for sure what you were listening to. Is 128kbps the 'best bang for your buck' .. or is it worth going to 192kbps and beyond?

I have encoded most of my CD's to 192kbps ... just 'cause I've currently got GB's to burn ... but frankly, a lot of the 128kbps sound fine to me ... though I have to confess that some of the mp3's sound more muted or tinny/thin. On the whole though, I'm quite happy!

I honestly an not really able to tell the difference

I never listen to CDs on my computer, cause my CD Burner overheats if the discs are in there too long, so I burn all my CDs right to mp3 for easy access.

I just updated my folders, and split all my non Canadian 80s songs into sections for UK hits and American Hits.  I was going to label the chart position with each song, but I accidentally clicked on 5 songs at once, and labeled them all the same :-[ ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/18/07 at 12:18 pm

I convert all of my music files to 128 kbps, unless it's some very treble-y punk song, which is very rare in my library... They sound just fine.

I am currently in the process of renaming all of my song files to have the Artist - Album Title - Track Number Song Title

Such as... Momus - Otto Spooky - 01 Sempreverde

I put my files into folders depending on the artist, unless it's from a compilation, in which I put the entire compilation into a various artists folder. I try to keep the genres as correct as possible to make easy playlists and the such... I rate all of my files, as well.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/18/07 at 2:44 pm

The number of songs I have varies from time to time, sometimes I purge a bunch because of duplicates or music I just dont listen to at all anymore, right now I have about 5800 songs or so.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/18/07 at 8:21 pm

All 4500+ of my files are tagged with at least a title & artist. I have, over the months, managed to label the year & album title for most of them. I have them all in a single folder (with subfolders of course) and accessible via Winamp Library Manager

Written By: Apricot on 08/18/07 at 9:17 pm

I've got mine sorted in folders by genre.. though I generally use the Windows Media Player Artist list instead.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/18/07 at 10:18 pm

I've got around 5100 mp3s.

Meat! and Whistledog so far reckon mp3's sound just fine .. and by that .. I take it, would be hard pressed to tell the difference if blindfolded listening to a CD recording .. and picking the difference. Anyone here reckon they can?

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/18/07 at 10:20 pm

I have 16, 741 songs as of about an hour ago...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/19/07 at 11:19 am

I don't sort mine....but I use Windows Media Player..and it sorts it into albums already.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/19/07 at 12:04 pm

I have three different folders where I store my mp3's, but to be honest I think I've lost track of which ones I've burned to disc and which ones I haven't...

Written By: Paul on 08/19/07 at 12:11 pm

Not a lot of difference to these ears compared to CD...but there are some 192's or even 320's that sound even ropier than some 96/128's! (Depends on the source material that it's been uploaded from...rule of thumb, if it's a dodgy source, it's gonna sound dodgy at any bitrate!)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/20/07 at 9:38 am

Not a lot of difference to these ears compared to CD...but there are some 192's or even 320's that sound even ropier than some 96/128's! (Depends on the source material that it's been uploaded from...rule of thumb, if it's a dodgy source, it's gonna sound dodgy at any bitrate!)

Yes, well if it's already at a low bitrate, raising it won't make it sound any different!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/07 at 12:24 pm

When I listen to songs, I pretty much just put my WMP playlist on shuffle, so it's like one huge mix. The only problem is I sometimes keep skipping past songs if it hits one I don't feel like hearing at the time. It can also throw off the mood if, say a Michael Bolton song is followed by Green Day or something. ;D

Subject: Do you organize your mp3s?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/28/22 at 10:17 am

I dont have that many........

I just have them all in 1 folder I named "Songs"

Right there are 6 MP3 files and 1 WMA file........

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/22 at 4:42 pm

I currently have exactly 14,841 songs on my phone that I uploaded myself into decades playlists from 1979-2022.  A majority of those are the 80s and the years 1990 and 1991.  I am slowly adding to it and I could easily hit 20,000 songs at some point and still not be done lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/22 at 5:30 pm

Most of the music I have on my computer are the ones I use for my videos-most are classical. I also have a file of musicals that I got from my sister.

I also have tons of audiobooks.

Cat

Written By: r/crazy on 01/12/23 at 7:12 pm

I'm behind the times, I still use iTunes😂 like its 2005 and yes I'm very OCD about how I want my MP3/AAC's (tage, genre,artists, name). Staying up until 3am in the morning to organize suddenly untaged, missing genre, etc. is NOT FUN, luckily I havinet done that since 2020 and I keep backups of EVERYTHING just in case something goes wrong

Check for new replies or respond here...