inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 25 Today, Happy Birthday to the CD Disc

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 5:32 am

The first Compact Discs for commercial release rolled off the assembly line on August 17.

Read more here.

Subject: Re: 25 Today, Happy Birthday to the CD Disc

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/17/07 at 8:29 am

They're a bit hard to go against !

The first one I ever bought was Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" - at the time the sound difference seemed incredible  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/17/07 at 10:12 am

Hard to believe the CD is 25 already. I remember even when I was younger, in like 1992 or so, people around here were still talking about it like it was newer technology even though it had been around for 10 years at that time. I didn't get my first CD until 1996.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/17/07 at 10:41 am

That's amazing to think of, because in a way I still think of it as a newish technology.

Sometimes I have to remind myself they were actually introduced to the market in 1982. They were probably in development in the late '70s too, so they're actually older than most people think. It just took until 1986 for them to begin catching on in the mainstream. I actually remember being about 5 when we got our first player at Costco in, I think, early '87 (I've even still got the same three CDs my dad bought that day!).

I'd say they were on common ground with tapes in 1991-1994 or so, and are still the main format today, even if they're in much less demand.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/17/07 at 10:50 am

That's amazing to think of, because in a way I still think of it as a newish technology.

Sometimes I have to remind myself they were actually introduced to the market in 1982. They were probably in development in the late '70s too, so they're actually older than most people think. It just took until 1986 for them to begin catching on in the mainstream. I actually remember being about 5 when we got our first player at Costco in, I think, early '87 (I've even still got the same three CDs my dad bought that day!).

I'd say they were on common ground with tapes in 1991-1994 or so, and are still the main format today, even if they're in much less demand.

I would agree. It seem throughout the mid '80s CD's were seen as this new technology that most people thought they couldn't adapt to due to the cost of CD players, which back then were pretty expensive. I knew of there existence in the early '90s, but my parents didn't want to buy a CD player, so they stuck with tapes and records for the most part, until the later '90s. 

I do remember seeing them in those big boxes up until like 1995 or so, that actually seems kinda old now. Btw Marty, what was the first CD that you brought yourself? I'm pretty sure mine AC/DC Live or something like that, back when I was in more of a classic rock phase.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/17/07 at 11:04 am

^Ironically, I only bought tapes myself until some time in 1998. The 30-40 CDs we had at home, I only used for making mixes prior to this. I three at a time if I recall - a Hall and Oates one, Tom Petty's Long After Dark along with an '80s Billboard Top Hits of 1985 compilation.

In a way, I don't think I'll ever view CD technology as "old" since I remember its inception. Actually, you could probably apply this to pretty much anything in life.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 1:18 pm

I never had a CD Player until the 90s; The first CD I ever bought was the soundtrack to 'Streets of Fire'

It is hard to believe CDs have been around that long.  In a book I have called "The Rock Yearbook 1987" there is a section called "Thanks ... but No Thanks" and under the No Thanks section, they say:  "The person who invented the Compact Disc.  A Frightful Phenomenon" lol

Written By: Howard on 08/17/07 at 1:43 pm

Wow,25 Years? Who'd thought that The CD was that old.I didn't play CD's up until the late 80's.

Written By: Henk on 08/17/07 at 2:27 pm

The first Compact Discs for commercial release rolled off the assembly line on August 17.

Read more here.

CD's...still got 'em, but for how long? :-\\ Everybody's downloading nowadays, or so it seems. CD sales are dropping...

These figures apply for The Netherlands only:

2002: sales were approx. EUR 300 million
2006: sales were approx. EUR 160 million.

Going, going...Gone? ???

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 2:32 pm

CD's...still got 'em, but for how long? :-\\ Everybody's downloading nowadays, or so it seems. CD sales are dropping...

Going, going...Gone? ???

Sadly, CD sales are dropping, but they won't ever fade away.  There are people who still purchase vinyl, but I s'pose with Vinyl, it's a whole other story.  For some, there is something about records that are better than CDs and mp3s

Written By: Howard on 08/17/07 at 2:34 pm

Going, going...Gone? ???

CDs might be dead within the next 5-10 years.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/17/07 at 7:48 pm

I got my first CD player in 1991-I still have it.  :)

The first CD I bought-Paula Abdul's "Spellbound".

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/18/07 at 1:59 am

I love CD's & still buy them occasionally, usually when on sale or with discount coupons.  my CD player is old, I'm not sure,  but it's close to  10 years old, & is starting to not work too well. I'm thinking about getting another one. they are marvelous inventions.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mmOl8ZG_VUAzRyjzbkF/SIG=12qhdk909/EXP=1187506446/**http%3A//img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/lindstroms/caveman-lawyer2.jpg your modern inventions frighten me, and sometimes when I hear the little voices coming out of the machines, I wonder, are there little demons inside singing and playing the songs. I don't know, I'm just a cave man.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/18/07 at 12:25 pm

The best place to get CDs are secondhand shops. I've been doing that since '98 and, not only is it way cheaper, just about everything is in good condition. Plus, you can get out of print or rarer stuff, which is great for an old-school music fan like me (even some NINETIES albums are hard to find now! Let alone '80s).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/18/07 at 3:37 pm

Happy birthday!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/19/07 at 1:01 pm

I never had a CD Player until the 90s...

Same here.  The first one I got was in 1992.  I don't remember the first disc I bought, but I would guess it was probably a compilation of some sort.  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/19/07 at 2:06 pm

Heh!

The first one I bought, I put in the player upside down!  :D

Modern technology is wasted on the stupid!

Check for new replies or respond here...