inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Yuwie.com

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/07 at 1:20 am

Has anyone heard of http://www.yuwie.com ?

It's a blogging site similar to MySpace, but only Yuwie claims that you get paid everytime someone views your profile and/or any section within your profile: pictures, blogs, etc.  I am not totally convinced this is 100% for real, but I signed up anyway on a recommendation from a friend

Anyone else a member of this?  I just joined, so I am figuring out how to make my profile look good.  So far, I am not impressed, but I might be once I get my page going.  I dunno

Subject: Re: Yuwie.com

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/28/07 at 1:32 am

tell me if you get paid Jason, if you do, then I'll join  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/07 at 5:55 am

Something sounds fishy about all this?

Written By: Southern Image on 08/28/07 at 10:51 am

I'm on there.  ;)

You have to invite people over there first before they can join. They have to join under your link. Lets just give it a try and see what happens.  It's a new site only a month or so old. I was invited by Lani.

This is my link referral http://www.yuwie.com/yuwie.asp?r=29838

Written By: Howard on 08/28/07 at 4:29 pm

It's cool.

Written By: Tam on 08/28/07 at 6:05 pm

It's a blogging site similar to MySpace, but only Yuwie claims that you get paid everytime someone views your profile and/or any section within your profile: pictures, blogs, etc.  I am not totally convinced this is 100% for real, but I signed up anyway on a recommendation from a friend

Anyone else a member of this?  I just joined, so I am figuring out how to make my profile look good.  So far, I am not impressed, but I might be once I get my page going.  I dunno

I clicked your link Jason and PC-Cillin popped up telling me that I was trying to visit a dangerous website that has known trojans and spyware.... guess I am not sticking around there

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/07 at 8:09 pm

I clicked your link Jason and PC-Cillin popped up telling me that I was trying to visit a dangerous website that has known trojans and spyware.... guess I am not sticking around there

are you serious? :o

perhaps Yuwie isn't all it's cracked up to be ?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/28/07 at 8:55 pm

well if the return on ads is anything like the return I see on ads on my sites... you'll need somewhere close to 30,000 pageviews a month before you see anything noticeable. Chances are it's also based on unique visitors too, which is even harder to achieve.  I'm also willing to bet there's a minimum amount you have to achieve before you get paid, and I'm willing to bet they count on most people never reaching it.  Since you have to take their word for it, you're really in a no win situation.  Plus, who owns what you write?  If you don't like it, can you take everything you write down and post it somewhere else?

Sounds like a make money quick scam to me.  If I didn't have a bunch of sites already, and had the time, I'd setup regular blogging software somewhere if I wanted to try my hand at blogging, or at the very least use a regular blog company.

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/07 at 9:11 pm

well if the return on ads is anything like the return I see on ads on my sites... you'll need somewhere close to 30,000 pageviews a month before you see anything noticeable. Chances are it's also based on unique visitors too, which is even harder to achieve.  I'm also willing to bet there's a minimum amount you have to achieve before you get paid, and I'm willing to bet they count on most people never reaching it.  Since you have to take their word for it, you're really in a no win situation.  Plus, who owns what you write?  If you don't like it, can you take everything you write down and post it somewhere else?

Sounds like a make money quick scam to me.  If I didn't have a bunch of sites already, and had the time, I'd setup regular blogging software somewhere if I wanted to try my hand at blogging, or at the very least use a regular blog company.

I figured it would have to be a real high number to be achieved.  The amount of people who blog daily and view pages ... the folks at Yuwie would be shelling out big bucks left and right.

The fact that the site pays people to use the site doesn't really add up.  In this world, there's nothing for free, and anything that claims to be free always has a catch

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/07 at 9:21 pm

I said, "Whoa! I'm not clicking that link! No Way Jose!"

I'm not the brightest mouse in the maze, but after a million shocks, I learned a thing or two!
:-\\

Maybe I sholdn't be so quick to judge.  Who knows?  I might meet the billion-dollar widow of an African dictator!
:P

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/07 at 1:22 pm

From the Yuwie terms of service:

2. Payment Eligibility. In order to receive any payment from the Yuwie.com System, the member must meet the following requirements:
- Have a valid social security number (SSN), taxpayer identification number (TIN), or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
- be at least 14 years old, and
- fill out an IRS form W9
OR
- fill out a non-US activities declaration form

8. Fees. Yuwie.com is currently free of charge, but you acknowledge that Yuwie.com reserves the right to charge for the Yuwie Services and to change its fees from time to time in its discretion. If Yuwie.com terminates your Membership because you have breached the Agreement, you shall not be entitled to the refund of any unused portion of subscription fees.

Hidden fees.  I knew it!  And they also want your SSN (or SIN) number.  Is it wise to give it to someone you don't know?  I wouldn't risk it :-\\

Written By: Step-chan on 08/30/07 at 1:31 pm

That sounds like something the site would have, good thing I listened to my instincts.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/07 at 7:42 pm

Hidden fees.  I knew it!  And they also want your SSN (or SIN) number.  Is it wise to give it to someone you don't know?  I wouldn't risk it :-\\

If you send your social security number over the Internet, you need adult supervision at all times!
:D

WTF is their rationale for asking for your SSN?  Or do they lack one, realizing anybody dumb enough to supply that info to a sleazy webmaster is too dumb to ask for a reason?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/30/07 at 8:15 pm

can you say IDENTITY THEFT?  :o 

Written By: Southern Image on 08/30/07 at 10:52 pm

I didn't fill any of that stuff out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/07 at 12:50 am

can you say IDENTITY THEFT?  :o 
From now on, I shall remain an enigma.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/01/07 at 8:27 pm

If you send your social security number over the Internet, you need adult supervision at all times!
:D

WTF is their rationale for asking for your SSN?  Or do they lack one, realizing anybody dumb enough to supply that info to a sleazy webmaster is too dumb to ask for a reason?

You can't earn money if you are a US citizen without it.  They need to be able to send you a 1099 for earned income.  Everytime I sign up for a new ad network on one of the websites I send it in.

Considering how unlikely it is you'll ever earn anything from these folks, if they require you to hand it out before there's even a likelihood you'll receive a check, it sounds bad to me.  You should be able to use the service without handing out your personal info and have earnings withheld (if there are any) if you don't provide it.

Written By: Southern Image on 09/09/07 at 12:43 am

I made .21 cents. for the 2 weeks I've been on. I  didn't do squat either.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/09/07 at 12:48 am

I made .21 cents. for the 2 weeks I've been on. I  didn't do squat either.  ;D
dang!, you'll make over 6 bucks if you are on for a year.  sweet

Written By: Southern Image on 09/09/07 at 12:50 am

dang!, you'll make over 6 bucks if you are on for a year.  sweet

Thats enough to get me a mocha frap from Starbucks! ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/09/07 at 12:55 am

Thats enough to get me a mocha frap from Starbucks! ;)
heck yeah, enough for a Venti size and maybe a maple scone too.  easy money$$  I wonder how one gets paid. check?

Written By: Southern Image on 09/09/07 at 12:56 am

heck yeah, enough for a Venti size and maybe a maple scone too.   easy money$$  I wonder how one gets paid. check?

Paypal or check.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/09/07 at 1:02 am

Paypal or check.
and all ya gotta do is be online. how easy is that.

Written By: Southern Image on 09/09/07 at 1:04 am

and all ya gotta do is be online. how easy is that.

Yep.

Check for new replies or respond here...