inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help!!! My hair is falling out!

Written By: Tam on 08/29/07 at 12:55 pm

I thought there was a thread like this already but couldn't find it.

Every day when I shower, a lot of my hair falls out. Not like I am going bald or anything, just like old hair is leaving so new hair can grow in. I have somewhat long hair and it is driving me nuts! Mom says I just need to cut it more often, but I get it cut every 2 months.

Now I know that because I don't brush it every single day, there are bound to be knots in it, and will pull out when brushed. But as much as I am losing?
(I would say I lose on average about 30 or so hairs every day)

Is that amount normal?

Subject: Re: Help!!! My hair is falling out!

Written By: Red Ant on 08/29/07 at 1:21 pm

The average human head loses 100 hairs a day. Losing 30 in the shower, especially if they are long, will look worse than it is. I don't think it's anything to be worried about. Stress may increase hair loss a bit, but I'll doubt you'll look like Sinead O'Connor from it!

Nicole fills her hairbrush every few days with hair - it worried me, but it's normal, and with past shoulder length hair it's just more noticeable.

Ant

Written By: Tam on 08/29/07 at 1:40 pm

I was hoping for an answer like this.
I know it is normal to lose hair - but it just looked like there was too much of it coming out!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/07 at 2:02 pm

I too have long and thick hair and I shed worse than my cats. I confess that I don't brush my hair everyday either.  :-[ And when I do brush it, the brush gets full. But I think because it is long, it will curl and get knotted so it looks like it is more than it really is. One piece of hair may look like it is about 10-20 or so.

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/29/07 at 3:29 pm

I've had the same thing off and on for a few years now.  Usually, it's brought on by stress or me wearing a hat or ponytail too much (which is almost every day during the summer), but a few years ago, I went to the doctor and he found out my TSH levels were out of whack and I had some nutritional deficiencies.  Of course, that was probably brought on by stress and the fact that I wasn't eating healthy enough.  I started on prenatal vitamins (yes, they're good for you even if you're NOT pregnant) and it got better.

Written By: Gis on 08/29/07 at 3:32 pm

Since I had my hair cut short I stopped brushing it at all really. I thought I was loosing way too much hair when I washed it and started to panic. I spoke to my sister in law who is a hairdresser and she said it was because I wasn't brushing it as often so the hair wasn't being brushed out and was washing out in one lot so to speak. If you were loosing it you might notice little bald patches forming and your hairdresser certainly would so you could ask her next time you go for a cut.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/07 at 7:24 pm

My hair is already falling out cause it's thinning,It runs in the family.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/29/07 at 7:37 pm

This happens to me all the time. When I am in the shower and I wash my hair...I pull clumps of hair out. I just went and got my hair cut (about 3 inches, to my shoulders), and I addressed this to my hairdresser...she said that I have nothing to worry about...that because I wear my hair up nearly everyday (since it's hot in the summer)....that is why I lose so much hair.  Now that it is shorter...I can wear it down more comfortably.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/07 at 6:48 am

when I sleep on my pillow,plenty of hair fall out.It does that when I toss and turn.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/30/07 at 11:12 am

I think that's pretty common,Tam. I know when i had long hair i would shed a lot of hairs,but i had so many it really didn't made any difference.

Written By: Tam on 08/30/07 at 11:47 am

I thank each of you for your input.
I am going to the hairdresser next week - thinking about getting a perm! ;D
(Ya so, afterwards, instead of losing hair I will just feel a few little bristles where the hair actually broke off right?) lol
But, when I called to make the appt I told Valerie about my hair thing and she said "That's all you're losing? You're lucky!"
She also recommended that I brush it every day.

Here's the thing of it - I don't brush it every day because it seems like I lose even more hair. I wash my hair every day, and then it goes up in a pony tail or pulled back into a clip. So keeping it up all the time isn't a good thing - but I have to do it. 110F is too dang hot to have long hair hanging around your neck and back! And no, I don't want to cut it off because then I look like a boy and my face appears fatter than it actually is. A little bit of vanity there - but it is true. Also, the longer I keep my hair, the less the grey shows through......

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/07 at 12:02 pm

(Ya so, afterwards, instead of losing hair I will just feel a few little bristles where the hair actually broke off right?) lol
But, when I called to make the appt I told Valerie about my hair thing and she said "That's all you're losing? You're lucky!"

Here's the thing of it - I don't brush it every day because it seems like I lose even more hair. I wash my hair every day, and then it goes up in a pony tail or pulled back into a clip. So keeping it up all the time isn't a good thing - but I have to do it. 110F is too dang hot to have long hair hanging around your neck and back! And no, I don't want to cut it off because then I look like a boy and my face appears fatter than it actually is. A little bit of vanity there - but it is true. Also, the longer I keep my hair, the less the grey shows through......

What about putting it in a braid but only tying it off on the bottom (instead of close to your scalp). That way it should be off of your neck for the most part and should break because it won't be tight. (Does that make sense?)

Cat

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/30/07 at 12:13 pm

Well, you know what they say .. 'hair today, gone tomorrow!"  :( ;D

Doesn't seem to bother this chap too much, does it? ->  :)

>:(
"I want my hair back!"

8)
"Nah! 'Bald is cool!"

Written By: Tam on 08/30/07 at 12:16 pm

What about putting it in a braid but only tying it off on the bottom (instead of close to your scalp). That way it should be off of your neck for the most part and should break because it won't be tight. (Does that make sense?)

Cat

It does make total sense - except that I have long layers and not all of the pieces will stay in a braid! >:(

"I want my hair back!"

8)
"Nah! 'Bald is cool!"

Hahahaha!

Written By: Gis on 08/30/07 at 12:27 pm

Cat
Good point. When i had long hair i had it up in a clip everyday at work and my hair started to break off at the back where the clip kind of rubbed it out of my scalp. My sister in law says using those clips every day is very BAD for hair and ordered me to stop! 

Written By: Marian on 08/30/07 at 1:43 pm

I thought there was a thread like this already but couldn't find it.

Every day when I shower, a lot of my hair falls out. Not like I am going bald or anything, just like old hair is leaving so new hair can grow in. I have somewhat long hair and it is driving me nuts! Mom says I just need to cut it more often, but I get it cut every 2 months.

Now I know that because I don't brush it every single day, there are bound to be knots in it, and will pull out when brushed. But as much as I am losing?
(I would say I lose on average about 30 or so hairs every day)

Is that amount normal?
This is a stretch,but maybe you have lupus.That can cuase hair to fall out.if you're also photo sensitive,that could be a possibility.

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/07 at 2:18 pm

I sometimes lose my hair, but since I always keep my hair super short, I'm ready for that dreadful day that I begin to noticible go bald

"I want my hair back!"

8)
"Nah! 'Bald is cool!"

;D

Written By: NbC on 08/30/07 at 8:38 pm

I have always kept my hair long.  It is no where near the length it was when I was a younger but it is still longish.  I lose a lot of hair everyday...it plugs up the shower drain, gets all over the floor.  I brush my hair more than once a day so with each burshing more comes out but I don't worry about it since this has been on going for years.  I am guessing that since you keep your hair in a ponytail that some of your hair is breaking off from the middle and not coming out from the roots. 

Although, I have a co-worker who started losing her hair when she was using a particular dandruff shampoo and you can see the bald patches.  Once she stopped using that particular shampoo her hair started to grow back in.  Her hair is fine now.  Maybe you should consider switching your shampoo.  I hear it isn't a good idea to stick to one shampoo brand for a long period of time. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/30/07 at 8:52 pm

Tam, part of the issue also may be that you're washing it every day.  Even if you use conditioner, you're stripping the natural oils out of the hair and it becomes more brittle.  I know if I wash mine more than every other or third day, it starts breaking and basically looks like crap so I wash it 3-4 times a week MAX!!!

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/30/07 at 9:27 pm

ME TOO!!

Agh. I have a habit of running my fingers through my hair during class, and I leave at least 10 strands behind every class every day.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/30/07 at 10:03 pm

Tam, part of the issue also may be that you're washing it every day.  Even if you use conditioner, you're stripping the natural oils out of the hair and it becomes more brittle.  I know if I wash mine more than every other or third day, it starts breaking and basically looks like crap so I wash it 3-4 times a week MAX!!!

I was just gonna say this. I wash my hair every 2-3 days as well....if I washed it every single day..it would be SO dry and brittle.

Written By: Tam on 08/30/07 at 10:24 pm

I have always kept my hair long.  It is no where near the length it was when I was a younger but it is still longish.  I lose a lot of hair everyday...it plugs up the shower drain, gets all over the floor.  I brush my hair more than once a day so with each burshing more comes out but I don't worry about it since this has been on going for years.  I am guessing that since you keep your hair in a ponytail that some of your hair is breaking off from the middle and not coming out from the roots. 

Although, I have a co-worker who started losing her hair when she was using a particular dandruff shampoo and you can see the bald patches.  Once she stopped using that particular shampoo her hair started to grow back in.  Her hair is fine now.  Maybe you should consider switching your shampoo.  I hear it isn't a good idea to stick to one shampoo brand for a long period of time. 

I was just gonna say this. I wash my hair every 2-3 days as well....if I washed it every single day..it would be SO dry and brittle.

Thanks Girls!
I do change my shampoo every time I run out - and I stay away from ones that are medicated and such. I have always had a hard time with conditioners though - I could never find one that does what I actually need it to do. I have naturally dry hair - so I should have thought about not washing it every day a long time ago!!! I will not wash my hair tomorrow, I will wait until Saturday . I know I am not going to see a change that quickly but it is a start. ;)

I brushed my haior before I showered today - cleaned the brush prior to as well. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. So I got in the shower and washed my hair, conditioned it etc.... and would you believe it - I only had about 5 strands that came out this time!

Another thing I have to remember is that even though I might think that I am not under stress, I am. With hubby gone, I take care of everything, and even though this is my second time doing it - there are stress factors that I don't even know exist. I should really start taking a yago class or something.

ME TOO!!

Agh. I have a habit of running my fingers through my hair during class, and I leave at least 10 strands behind every class every day.

You are leaving DNA everywhere!!!!!!! ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/30/07 at 10:51 pm

Haha. No wonder my dandruff shampoo doesn't work... I mix it with conditioner.

Written By: Gis on 08/31/07 at 1:19 am

You are leaving DNA everywhere!!!!!!! ;D
Now this has occured to me for people that have a weave or extensions made from real hair. If you commit a crime and leave some hair  at the scene it would have the other persons DNA, I mean the one who sold theirhair so do the police look for them??

Written By: NbC on 08/31/07 at 3:06 am

I have always had a hard time with conditioners though - I could never find one that does what I actually need it to do. I have naturally dry hair - so I should have thought about not washing it every day a long time ago!!!

My hair is very dry and I was given a great tip from a hairdresser.  After a shampoo, condition your hair as usual but instead of washing it out put on a shower cap and leave it on for a while.  (she didn't specify for how long but I guess that is your choice)  The heat from your head under the shower cap will help it penetrate deeper into your hair.  She said to do this about twice a week.  I have only been able to squeeze in once a week but I am sure over time it will work.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/07 at 7:05 am

My hair has been falling out slowly.I'm thinning and it runs in the family.Before you know it,I'll be 40 with NO hair! ;D

Written By: Tam on 08/31/07 at 9:24 am

Now this has occured to me for people that have a weave or extensions made from real hair. If you commit a crime and leave some hair  at the scene it would have the other persons DNA, I mean the one who sold theirhair so do the police look for them??

Good point! That would be awful for the person who sold their hair! Next episode on CSI: Miami ;D

My hair is very dry and I was given a great tip from a hairdresser.  After a shampoo, condition your hair as usual but instead of washing it out put on a shower cap and leave it on for a while.  (she didn't specify for how long but I guess that is your choice)  The heat from your head under the shower cap will help it penetrate deeper into your hair.   She said to do this about twice a week.  I have only been able to squeeze in once a week but I am sure over time it will work.

Thanks Girl. I will deifnitely have to give this a try. I used to use hot oil treatments - but that just made my hair worse. I have also tried protein packs, but I haven't done them frequently enough to even see a difference - But I will give your a try for sure! ;)

Written By: Gis on 08/31/07 at 9:29 am

My hair is very dry and I was given a great tip from a hairdresser.  After a shampoo, condition your hair as usual but instead of washing it out put on a shower cap and leave it on for a while.  (she didn't specify for how long but I guess that is your choice)  The heat from your head under the shower cap will help it penetrate deeper into your hair.   She said to do this about twice a week.  I have only been able to squeeze in once a week but I am sure over time it will work.
You can do it over night for a really deep condition, but it does mean trying to sleep in a shower cap!  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 08/31/07 at 2:29 pm

Mine gets wat too oily if I don't at least lightly wash it daily.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/07 at 6:41 am

Get A Wig!  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/07 at 7:50 am

I cut my hair to the nub a long time ago and have never regretted it.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/01/07 at 7:01 pm

I cut my hair to the nub a long time ago and have never regretted it.   ;)

In other words you're BALD?  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/07 at 5:20 am

Not totally, just about one step beyond.  I keep messing up trying to post a picture of myself.  It is kinda like the Miriam Mekaba look.... like this.  You have to a good shaped head to pull it off, though

http://www.akh.se/makeba/images/mms-1.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/02/07 at 5:31 am

Not totally, just about one step beyond.  I keep messing up trying to post a picture of myself.  It is kinda like the Miriam Mekaba look.... like this.  You have to a good shaped head to pull it off, though

http://www.akh.se/makeba/images/mms-1.jpg

Oh,So that's what you look like. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/07 at 7:22 am

I know something that can you can keep you hair in, it is a cardboard box.

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/07/07 at 7:27 am

Being bald has its advantages,you save a ton of money in hair products,you never have a bad hair day and you don't leave DNA everywhere you go.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/07 at 7:29 am

Being bald has its advantages,you save a ton of money in hair products,you never have a bad hair day and you don't leave DNA everywhere you go.
Nasal hair?

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/07/07 at 7:33 am

Nasal hair?

Help!!! My nasal hair is falling out! :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/07/07 at 8:55 am

Hormonal imbalances can make a person's hair fall out.  So can stress and certain types of medication.  My hair was thinning once, someone suggested multivitamins and flaxseed oil.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 9:30 am

Re: Help!!! My hair is falling out!

Now, let's see. If I cut and paste all the unwanted hair from my 'nether regions' ... my ears, my nose, my armpits, my back etc; etc; onto my head  ???  :o  .... where I want it ... I THINK  I could be ahead of the game .  8)

However ... I MIGHT look a bit strange  :-\\  ....... and I certainly wouldn't want to give ANYBODY  the wrong impression ..........  :P :P  ;) :D ;D :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/07 at 9:40 am

Re: Help!!! My hair is falling out!

Now, let's see. If I cut and paste all the unwanted hair from my 'nether regions' ... my ears, my nose, my armpits, my back etc; etc; onto my head  ???  :o  .... where I want it ... I THINK  I could be ahead of the game .  8)

However ... I MIGHT look a bit strange  :-\\  ....... and I certainly wouldn't want to give ANYBODY  the wrong impression ..........  :P :P  ;) :D ;D :D
Think Pete Sampras.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 9:49 am

Think Pete Sampras.

You don't mean  ???  :-\\  ...you do mean  :o  'monkey man'.

http://static.highend3d.com/galleryimages/425/screen.jpg
^ Pete Sampras  ;) ;D

Well, I seem to remember a falling out between him and Andre Agassi where Andre likened him to an ape. Probably 'cause Andre was follically challenged ... like ->  :-X    ... so a little bit of jealousy, perhaps?  :-\\  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/07 at 9:56 am

You don't mean  ???  :-\\  ...you do mean  :o  'monkey man'.

http://static.highend3d.com/galleryimages/425/screen.jpg
^ Pete Sampras   ;) ;D

Well, I seem to remember a falling out between him and Andre Agassi where Andre likened him to an ape. Probably 'cause Andre was follically challenged ... like ->  :-X    ... so a little bit of jealousy, perhaps?   :-\\   ;D
Not that Pete Sampras.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/07/07 at 10:00 am

Not that Pete Sampras.

Oh, now I get you. The 'Pete Sampras' that lives 2 blocks from you, and has never picked up a tennis racket in his life !  ;) ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/08/07 at 7:17 am

Thinning hair runs in my family. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...