inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My misheard lyrics book is available for pre-order

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/30/07 at 12:51 pm

Incase you missed the big honking ad on all the various site I have... yup, it's available for pre-order at amazon and a few other book stores.

I should be seeing the first printed copy either this week or next.  The cover is a little lame looking, but the layout of the interior pages was really cool in the previews I saw.  I'm going to ask the publisher about preview pages for amazon tonight.

Subject: Re: The misheard lyrics book is available for pre-order

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/30/07 at 7:04 pm

Neat. I like the cover, BTW.

Subject: Re: The misheard lyrics book is available for pre-order

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/30/07 at 7:07 pm

Neat. I like the cover, BTW.

That was the original mockup, not sure if that's the final cover.  The test prints came out this week, and supposedly have an industrial type feel or something.  It's supposed to be somewhat unusual paper.  There was talk of spot color on the interior pages, but no idea if that came to pass (I don't think so, only because the price of the book didn't change from what I was told it would be initially).

Subject: Re: My misheard lyrics book is available for pre-order

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/07 at 3:42 pm

I just pre-ordered it.  ;D ;D ;D When about can I expect to get it? Any idea?

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/04/07 at 5:30 pm

I just pre-ordered it.  ;D ;D ;D When about can I expect to get it? Any idea?

Cat

supposed to be Oct. 28th according to Amazon, so I would expect it on Halloween.  Especially since the 28th is a Sunday, and books generally don't ship on Sundays >grin<

I'm supposed to be getting the first test print this week (shipped last week, via a slow boat from China I guess).  I'm hoping to get them to add it to the Amazon "search inside" stuff.  Not sure who I thanked, but I think all the site editors from all the sites, and the moderators, are listed in there.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/05/07 at 9:47 pm

Here's the happy author with his first book the day it arrived in his mailbox!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 9:52 pm

totally cool, Chucky! 8)

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/05/07 at 11:36 pm

You look like John Flansburgh mixed with Alex Jelicich there.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/06/07 at 1:57 am

Congratulations ChuckyG!  I love the title.  It produces giggles everytime I read said title.

I dunno that I'll be able to get your book anytime soon, but I wish you a rousing success in book sales and pre-orders.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/06/07 at 10:30 am

You look like John Flansburgh mixed with Alex Jelicich there.

must be my new glasses...

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/06/07 at 10:32 am

Congratulations ChuckyG!  I love the title.  It produces giggles everytime I read said title.

I dunno that I'll be able to get your book anytime soon, but I wish you a rousing success in book sales and pre-orders.

I can't take credit for the title... that was the idea of the publisher, I wasn't even keen on it, but I guess it works.

I'm guessing there's been a couple pre-orders, since the sales rank dropped from 600,000 to 180,000.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/07 at 12:01 pm

I can't take credit for the title... that was the idea of the publisher, I wasn't even keen on it, but I guess it works.

I'm guessing there's been a couple pre-orders, since the sales rank dropped from 600,000 to 180,000.

Like I said, one of those pre-orders is from me.  ;D

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/06/07 at 1:52 pm

Like I said, one of those pre-orders is from me.  ;D

Well you'll be happy to know you got thanked for being one of the editors/moderators even though you've got a different title than moderator or website editor.

I was thinking about the credits pages today and the list of people I thank is probably longer than it's supposed to be, since the publisher cut a bunch of the non-misheard lyrics in there. Hopefully I can get those credit pages to show up on amazon in the look-inside function at some point.

It's still kind of odd to hold it, since it was 10 or so months ago that I first started work on it.  Seems like such a long time ago. I wasn't even sure they'd like the final product and decide to release it all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/07 at 3:26 pm

Well you'll be happy to know you got thanked for being one of the editors/moderators even though you've got a different title than moderator or website editor.

I was thinking about the credits pages today and the list of people I thank is probably longer than it's supposed to be, since the publisher cut a bunch of the non-misheard lyrics in there. Hopefully I can get those credit pages to show up on amazon in the look-inside function at some point.

It's still kind of odd to hold it, since it was 10 or so months ago that I first started work on it.  Seems like such a long time ago. I wasn't even sure they'd like the final product and decide to release it all.

Awwww, thanks. (And karma)

My sister had a couple of books published and I'm sure you are feeling the same way she did the first time she held her first book.

Edited to add she was afraid of leaving someone out of the dedication/thanks so she just listed all of our last names (since there are many in our family-6 kids, 5 are women who have changed our names when we got married)

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/06/07 at 7:54 pm

How cool! Congrats, ChuckyG!  :) :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/06/07 at 8:16 pm

that's awesome Chucky.  What's the title or is there a link to Amazon to get me to the book?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/06/07 at 9:07 pm

that's awesome Chucky.  What's the title or is there a link to Amazon to get me to the book?

there's a link on every site I run.  on inthe00s it's in the upper right corner under the key stats.  I thought seeing the book cover on inthe00s might be a bit more annoying than on the other sites.

Here it is again though...
Hold Me Closer Tony Danza

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/06/07 at 9:55 pm

Congrads, Chucky!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/07 at 1:20 am

there's a link on every site I run.  on inthe00s it's in the upper right corner under the key stats.  I thought seeing the book cover on inthe00s might be a bit more annoying than on the other sites.

Here it is again though...
Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
thanks for the link.  I was being lazy.  what a thrill for you, seeing your book for sale on Amazon. well done, so we have a couple of notable authors now, 80'sTriviameister and ChuckyG.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/15/07 at 11:08 am

I just pre-ordered it as well.  Can't wait. :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/15/07 at 1:15 pm

I just pre-ordered it as well.  Can't wait. :)

it's too bad I can't fly around to everyone's home town and come out and sign it for you!

I'm thinking of I buy some straight from the publisher, I might be able to make it cheap enough to send overseas to the UK and Australia/New Zealand, etc.

Written By: Marian on 09/15/07 at 2:13 pm

Great!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/07 at 2:46 pm

it's too bad I can't fly around to everyone's home town and come out and sign it for you!

I'm thinking of I buy some straight from the publisher, I might be able to make it cheap enough to send overseas to the UK and Australia/New Zealand, etc.

I would LOVE to have you sign my book-and Vermont isn't too far from you.  ;)

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/15/07 at 3:25 pm

I would LOVE to have you sign my book-and Vermont isn't too far from you.  ;)

my wife and her immediate family take a drive up through Vermont every year.  I get to stay home with Neal though, since 5 or 6 hours in a car isn't much fun for a 2 year old.  I know a few people from amIright get together occasionally in Massachusetts and have asked me to come out and join them, but until Neal's a little older, it's a bit of a chore to even plan a few hours out at night.

I do at least get to head into Boston tomorrow for the MIT hamfest...

Written By: Dagwood on 09/15/07 at 5:07 pm

It is too bad, that would be cool. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/07 at 5:33 pm

my wife and her immediate family take a drive up through Vermont every year.  I get to stay home with Neal though, since 5 or 6 hours in a car isn't much fun for a 2 year old.  I know a few people from amIright get together occasionally in Massachusetts and have asked me to come out and join them, but until Neal's a little older, it's a bit of a chore to even plan a few hours out at night.

I do at least get to head into Boston tomorrow for the MIT hamfest...

I know this is a bit off topic but where in Vermont? Just curious.

BTW, we do drive through Mass a few times on our way to Conn. to visit my sisters. Maybe on our next trip, we can arrange something. But, who knows when that will be.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/19/07 at 8:57 pm

I believe I was off a month on the release date.  I think it's officially out now and amazon is shipping!

I got a box in the mail yesterday with my extra copies for family members

Written By: Dagwood on 09/20/07 at 1:26 pm

I just checked my Amazon account, it still says November 1 delivery.  Bummer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/07 at 2:17 pm

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon (so I can get free shipping) and only received 1 item (after they first sent me something that I didn't order  ::) ). The other 3, they tell me will be delivered approximately Nov. 8th-14th. I hate that. I understand with Chucky's book but the other 2? One is a book and the other is a DVD. They didn't say anything about a wait when I ordered it (like they did with Chucky's book). 

Ok, rant over.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/20/07 at 2:27 pm

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon (so I can get free shipping) and only received 1 item (after they first sent me something that I didn't order  ::) ). The other 3, they tell me will be delivered approximately Nov. 8th-14th. I hate that. I understand with Chucky's book but the other 2? One is a book and the other is a DVD. They didn't say anything about a wait when I ordered it (like they did with Chucky's book). 

Ok, rant over.

Cat

if you pick the supersaver shipping, they keep them together, otherwise it costs more to ship several packages.  I think they give you the option to split the order, but that means surrendering the super saver discount.

it no longer shows as pre-order on amazon, but not sure if that means they are no longer in pre-order mode or not.

oh and to answer Cat's question... I have no idea where Susan goes in Vermont.... I'll have to ask.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/07 at 2:36 pm

if you pick the supersaver shipping, they keep them together, otherwise it costs more to ship several packages.  I think they give you the option to split the order, but that means surrendering the super saver discount.

it no longer shows as pre-order on amazon, but not sure if that means they are no longer in pre-order mode or not.

oh and to answer Cat's question... I have no idea where Susan goes in Vermont.... I'll have to ask.

At least they sent us the stuff that we REALLY needed (computer disks). The other stuff can wait.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/20/07 at 3:53 pm

Congratulations on the book, Chuck! I've pre-ordered my copy, so let me know if I can help you with publicity or anything! :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/20/07 at 7:49 pm

Congratulations on the book, Chuck! I've pre-ordered my copy, so let me know if I can help you with publicity or anything! :)

thanks!  not sure what I'm doing for publicity just yet (aside from the websites), my publisher is at a trade show currently and are supposed to get back to me on it next week.  I do know Barnes and Nobles will be featuring it on a "quirky reads" table at all their stores

I'm changing over all my direct to amazon links to a page on amIright which gives a much better look at the book (sample page, updated front and back covers, the credits, the intro).  Here it is: Misheard Lyrics Book

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/20/07 at 10:35 pm

Ok, rant over.

Cat

I pre-ordered an item scheduled for October, and in order to get free shipping, I ordered some other stuff as well...

... And they had to ship it all in October, rather than when I bought it.

... Then the pre-ordered item got moved to February... And they decided to still mail this other stuff in October. However, I was sent an e-mail today telling me these items have been sent. Maybe that will happen to you?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/23/07 at 9:45 pm

so try as I might to proof-read everything, I still ended up with two mistakes in the book that I know of.  Time to make an errata page.

I listed a Backstreet Boys song under the N'sync entry: "Don't Want You Back", confused it with "I Want You Back", but the lyrics are definitely from the BB song.

in the Add a Letter to a Song Title category, I have Prodigy, "Fat of the Land" which was an album title, but not a song title

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/23/07 at 10:02 pm

so try as I might to proof-read everything, I still ended up with two mistakes in the book that I know of.  Time to make an errata page.

I listed a Backstreet Boys song under the N'sync entry: "Don't Want You Back", confused it with "I Want You Back", but the lyrics are definitely from the BB song.

in the Add a Letter to a Song Title category, I have Prodigy, "Fat of the Land" which was an album title, but not a song title

and I found a third.  I have a song by Meredith Brooks listed, called "Time Waits For No One", which shows up in all the lyrics sites, but it turns out it was a band she was in called the Graces.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/23/07 at 10:05 pm

and I found a third.  I have a song by Meredith Brooks listed, called "Time Waits For No One", which shows up in all the lyrics sites, but it turns out it was a band she was in called the Graces.

AHHH! The more you anounce these, the more anxious I become!

Written By: Dagwood on 10/16/07 at 12:30 pm

I just got an email from Amazon, it is shipping early.  I should get it in a week!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/elefant.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/16/07 at 12:37 pm

I just got an email from Amazon, it is shipping early.  I should get it in a week!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/elefant.gif

I was just going to make a post asking if anyone got theirs yet.

I just talked with the publisher, and they shipped it early to get it into Barnes and Nobles stores. So if you went to a B&N and you're in a main market (no idea which stores are considered main market) you'll see it on their impulse buy table. 

If you're in the UK, it can be purchased online pretty cheaply too:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=987633669&searchurl=aid%3D7134912%26bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26isbn%3D1570615330%26pid%3D1698206%26sortby%3D2%26sts%3Dt

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/07 at 2:39 pm

I haven't heard anything about mine.  :\'( :\'(  I got everything in that order except that. (Why they shipped it in 3 different shipments is beyond me-and HOW they divided it up-who knows.  :-\\  )

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/07 at 6:31 pm

I haven't heard anything about mine.  :\'( :\'(  I got everything in that order except that. (Why they shipped it in 3 different shipments is beyond me-and HOW they divided it up-who knows.  :-\\  )

Cat

well I know it's available in stores... here's the proof

Written By: Red Ant on 10/17/07 at 6:39 pm

I'll check the B&N here for it and if they don't have it I'll order it through them - I'd rather not deal with Amazon.com.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/07 at 6:46 pm

I'll check the B&N here for it and if they don't have it I'll order it through them - I'd rather not deal with Amazon.com.

Ant

Borders is supposed to have it too.

At my B&N, it was on a table display near the in store Starbucks cafe.  Susan took some pictures for me which I'll post later.  Right next to the kitten war book

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/07 at 11:46 am

here's an in store picture of the book...

Humorous, Helpful & Odd

that sums me up pretty well I think

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/07 at 12:00 pm

I got the email that it has been shipped. YAY!!!! I should be getting it by next week at the latest.

BTW Chucky, I have to tell you, I LOVE your avatar. Neil is SOOOOOOO cute. (Did I spell his name right that time?)

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/19/07 at 1:42 pm

I got the email that it has been shipped. YAY!!!! I should be getting it by next week at the latest.

cool.  I think amazon got them a little later than the stores, because they wanted to make the timeframe to get it featured on one of the tables in the stores

BTW Chucky, I have to tell you, I LOVE your avatar. Neil is SOOOOOOO cute. (Did I spell his name right that time?)

It's Neal.  I didn't want him to have the same spelling as Neil Diamond.  Even though there are plenty of other famous Neil's with the letter i spelling, I didn't feel it offset the damage he's done to the name.  Plus in most fonts, the lowercase e and a letter have a similar shape, so it has more balaance.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/07 at 2:29 pm

cool.  I think amazon got them a little later than the stores, because they wanted to make the timeframe to get it featured on one of the tables in the stores

It's Neal.  I didn't want him to have the same spelling as Neil Diamond.  Even though there are plenty of other famous Neil's with the letter i spelling, I didn't feel it offset the damage he's done to the name.  Plus in most fonts, the lowercase e and a letter have a similar shape, so it has more balaance.

I just KNEW I was going to misspell it. Sorry. I have to remember that it is spelled the same way as Patricia Neal.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 10/23/07 at 6:00 pm

I got mine today!  WooHoo!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/07 at 11:14 am

I got mine today!  WooHoo!

WTG!!! The email I got said that the estimate arrival date was yesterday.  :o :o :o  A little late.  ::)

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/07 at 11:37 am

WTG!!! The email I got said that the estimate arrival date was yesterday.  :o :o :o  A little late.  ::)

it'll be there today I bet. 

good to see people getting their copies from amazon finally.  no idea why it took them so long to send it when it was available in stores already.  Then again, I know with a rock poster book I had in my wishlist for two years, it was in stores before it showed it as available on amazon too.  I guess if it's a smaller press, it takes longer to work it's way into amazon's inventory system

I hope it's worth the wait.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/07 at 11:43 am

it'll be there today I bet. 

Not if it was sent through the Post Office because they already made their delivery for the day. If it is coming UPS-then maybe.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/07 at 11:56 am

Not if it was sent through the Post Office because they already made their delivery for the day. If it is coming UPS-then maybe.

Probably held up by all that snow we've been getting during out 80 degree weather down here in Massachusetts >grin<

I'm kidding of course... it wasn't snowing, but it was a balmy 84 Monday. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/24/07 at 11:58 am

Do you mind signing it if I order?  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/07 at 12:03 pm

Probably held up by all that snow we've been getting during out 80 degree weather down here in Massachusetts >grin<

I'm kidding of course... it wasn't snowing, but it was a balmy 84 Monday. 

Well, they do say about through "rain, snow, sleet, or hail" but they don't say anything about when it is sunny and extremely nice. I think all the P.O. workers are/were out enjoying this beautiful weather we have been having and not getting their job done.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/07 at 12:05 pm

Do you mind signing it if I order?  :)

I'll sign it for anyone who asks... the tough part is getting to see me, I'm pretty reclusive due to family life.  Not JD Salinger reclusive, but getting there.  Though I did finish the majority of work on my front porch Monday (finally!) so hopefully my social calendar can expand a bit.

I should probably offer to sell them signed from the website.  I'll ask my publisher how to order some from them, and see what's involved.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/07 at 12:08 pm

Well, they do say about through "rain, snow, sleet, or hail" but they don't say anything about when it is sunny and extremely nice. I think all the P.O. workers are/were out enjoying this beautiful weather we have been having and not getting their job done.  :D ;D ;D

really nice way up there in VT too?  People can't tell me something isn't messed up with the weather when it's in the 80s the last week of October in New England.  I think legally I can put the studded tires on my car next week, though last year was so mild I didn't even bother putting them on all year.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/24/07 at 12:09 pm

I'll sign it for anyone who asks... the tough part is getting to see me, I'm pretty reclusive due to family life.  Not JD Salinger reclusive, but getting there.  Though I did finish the majority of work on my front porch Monday (finally!) so hopefully my social calendar can expand a bit.

I should probably offer to sell them signed from the website.  I'll ask my publisher how to order some from them, and see what's involved.

I have a friend who has written a book and sells it online and other places.  On his online order forms he asked if you want it signed.  He says it's a lot easier than book signing tours.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/07 at 12:13 pm

I have a friend who has written a book and sells it online and other places.  On his online order forms he asked if you want it signed.  He says it's a lot easier than book signing tours.

I've been letting amazon handle the sales for me, not sure I can do that with signed copies though.  I'd probably have to tell people to send me a Paypal payment or a money order in the mail.  I figure there's probably only a dozen or so people interested in a signed copy (I'm not Stephen King after all), so it's probably not hard to handle it manually.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/07 at 12:55 pm

really nice way up there in VT too?  People can't tell me something isn't messed up with the weather when it's in the 80s the last week of October in New England.  I think legally I can put the studded tires on my car next week, though last year was so mild I didn't even bother putting them on all year.

Today is a bit cooler than it has been. I am hoping the weather will hold out until this weekend. Friends of ours are having their annual pumpkin carving party and it would be nice not to freeze our @$$es off like we usually do.  ;)

If I send you my copy, would you sign it and return it? (I'll figure out postage and such)

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/07 at 1:18 pm

Today is a bit cooler than it has been. I am hoping the weather will hold out until this weekend. Friends of ours are having their annual pumpkin carving party and it would be nice not to freeze our @$$es off like we usually do.  ;)

If I send you my copy, would you sign it and return it? (I'll figure out postage and such)

Cat

sure, though I think with all that postage, you could almost buy a second copy for the money spent on shipping

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/07 at 1:42 pm

sure, though I think with all that postage, you could almost buy a second copy for the money spent on shipping

Not really. I could send it Media Mail which is VERY inexpensive. To mail 4 lbs is under $3-and I'm sure your book is well under 4 lbs. Amazon and other places charges much more than postage really is-that is why they have the "H" in S&H.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 10/24/07 at 2:01 pm

Cat

My arrival date was estimated at Friday the 26 via DHL.  It came yesterday via USPS so I am not going to complain.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/26/07 at 9:27 pm

Would someone who has a copy please write a nice glowing review for amazon?  that would be cool...  you don't have to buy it from them in order to leave a review

Amazon Link

the sales rank is up to #49,419  it used to be around 600,000 so I guess a few people have bought it for a Christmas gift... excellent!

I'm calling the publisher to order some extra copies, and I'll sell them on the website with my signature on them.  If you already bought one and are willing to pay the shipping costs each way, I'm happy to sign it too.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/26/07 at 9:34 pm

Would someone who has a copy please write a nice glowing review for amazon?  that would be cool...  you don't have to buy it from them in order to leave a review

Amazon Link

the sales rank is up to #49,419  it used to be around 600,000 so I guess a few people have bought it for a Christmas gift... excellent!

I'm calling the publisher to order some extra copies, and I'll sell them on the website with my signature on them.  If you already bought one and are willing to pay the shipping costs each way, I'm happy to sign it too.

I think one of my family members is getting it for me for Christmas.  Of course when ask what it was, I plugged your book.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/27/07 at 1:20 am

Amazon Link

if you're gonna sell them on the website with your signature on them, then I'll get one of those from you Chucky

Check for new replies or respond here...