inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has the Internet taken over TV as your entertainment?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/07 at 7:45 pm

Something that occured to me recently was how little time I spend watching TV now. When I was glued to it from, like 1991-1998 and sorta through the early '00s. Except for looking at old tapes, or movies/DVD box sets that I own, I'm online much more during my spare time. Including places like this. Is it the same for any of you? Like, has the computer kinda cut into your television time as far as entertainment?

Subject: Re: Has the Internet taken over TV as your entertainment?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/02/07 at 8:08 pm

It has indeed.  I practically live on the internet.  I think it's most the promise that I can have real live conversations with real live people from all around the world.  That is definitely the draw for me.  Which is actually ironic in a way, as I don't really like to talk face-to-face, as I'm quite shy offline. 

There isn't much on television that keeps my attention anymore.  I have a hearing problem so I have to have closed captioning on and the sound cranked up to levels that are uncomfortable for most people, so when I keep late hours (as I am known to do), it's just best to plop myself down in front of the computer.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/02/07 at 8:30 pm

yes, as a matter of fact..it has. Well, it probably has to do with the fact that we haven't had cable in over a year now...so the internet is my main source of entertainment. We only get like 7 channels on TV...so ya, that can get boring. I have, however, found a love for shows on DVD....I love watching those!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/02/07 at 8:35 pm

I remember about 6-7 years ago watching TV about 5 hours/day. Now I'm lucky to watch 5 hours/week. THe internet has so much more to it, and what I've seen of it is probably only 2% of the entire net. I feel it's a better entertainment too, rather than just staring at a screen mindlessly, you can actually browse sites of interest, learn new things, play games, chat, download po... well we'll leave it at that.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/07 at 8:56 pm

You know, I wonder how different it would've been if the Internet had its 1997+ degree of popularity some years earlier. I think it goes hand in hand with the computer feeling more interactive and part of our lives, along with most TV s*cking anyway, lol.

I loved watching television in the early-mid '90s - starting with MTV and VH1, then with sitcoms, Unsolved Mysteries, movies, talk shows and lots of things like that. It was one thing I always looked forward to after school. Do you think if really good TV existed with the net, you guys would still be online as much as you are? With me it's hard to say.

Written By: audkal on 09/02/07 at 9:45 pm

Yeah I usually would rather be online than watching TV.  But sometimes I can't use it as much as I would like to (having 3 brothers, we all have to take turns, lol).  There are only a select number of TV shows that I will break my online time to watch.  But I'd say, if there were better options on TV, I'd probably be watching TV a little more.  So I guess it's okay for TV to kind of suck now and then, at least we have the internet!  LOL. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/07 at 10:15 pm

I do use the 'net more than I watch TV yes, but since I also have a TV where my computer is, I can multi-task ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 09/02/07 at 10:49 pm

They still make TVs?  ???

(obviously a yes to your question)

I thought cable was kind of bad here. Then I spent a few weeks in Richmond with their Comcast cable. It wasn't much better than antenna: 33 total channels, 20+ of which were varying degrees of static. The only channels that came in were MTV, VH1, ESPN (two of them), USA, Lifetime and a local channel, which limited me to watching Sportscenter and L&O reruns. No wonder violence is so prevalent there.  ;D

Ant

Written By: Apricot on 09/02/07 at 11:52 pm

Yeah, I basically use the internet to entertain myself.. it's more dynamic, I guess.. the internet can respond, you can play and stuff..

I still watch TV shows and movies and stuff, but it's not my primary source of media-based entertainment, not by a longshot.

Written By: NbC on 09/03/07 at 1:43 am

Personally, I really do not spend that much time online.  I am on and off throughout the day but it adds up to maybe an hour or two. 

Written By: Howard on 09/03/07 at 6:38 am

I remember over 10 years ago,that TV was my source of entertainment,Now it seems I'm on the internet almost every day.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/03/07 at 10:19 am

Yeah, I spend alot more time on the internet than I do watching TV. The advent of Youtube, and sites like it, have really made me spend even more time online.

Why spend all day sitting through horrible video's on Fuse or MTV waiting for the one you want to see when you can get on Youtube and watch it on demand.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/07 at 9:28 pm

^ Yeah, I was thinking of that, too. Even though the bulk of what I watch are music videos, there's other things on there (i.e. interviews, clips from shows) that are fun to look up and see what you can find. Aside from it being more instant than chancing it and waiting forever with TV, there's also the fact that people post stuff that would never air again. Those are like lost treasure...at least until Viacom takes them down, lol.

Written By: La Roche on 09/03/07 at 10:53 pm

I have a satallite connection for sports.. most mornings before I leave the house I'll watch an hour of Setanta. (Football from England, France etc) and then on the weekends I'll catch a couple of matches.. that's about it. I tivo weeds actually...

Written By: Howard on 09/04/07 at 6:37 am

Yeah, I spend alot more time on the internet than I do watching TV. The advent of Youtube, and sites like it, have really made me spend even more time online.

Why spend all day sitting through horrible video's on Fuse or MTV waiting for the one you want to see when you can get on Youtube and watch it on demand.

or you can go  http://www.dailymotion.com  to watch free videos. :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/04/07 at 7:37 pm

I definitely spend more time online than watching TV. Sometimes I'm online, listening to music, and watch TV at the same time.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/07 at 6:58 am

When I'm online,I check email,listen to music and browse for a while.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 7:28 am

I can answer this in one word, yes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/05/07 at 3:04 pm

or you can go  http://www.dailymotion.com  to watch free videos. :)

Yeah, that's a cool site too. I don't visit it quite as much as I do Youtube, but it's still cool.

^ Yeah, I was thinking of that, too. Even though the bulk of what I watch are music videos, there's other things on there (i.e. interviews, clips from shows) that are fun to look up and see what you can find. Aside from it being more instant than chancing it and waiting forever with TV, there's also the fact that people post stuff that would never air again. Those are like lost treasure...at least until Viacom takes them down, lol.

Yeah, I've started to use the internet alot more over the past year and a half, since I discovered Youtube(and other site's like that). I can spend hours watching old shows, commercials, and music video's on there. Before that the only thing I really spent alot of time online doing was posting in forums.

Ever since discovering Youtube in April of 2006, my time spent online probably jumped from 2-3 hours a day, to at least double that.

Written By: KKay on 09/05/07 at 3:47 pm

I don't really make much use of the 'net; I post here, check mail or research something I want to learn more about.  Otherwise, I really dont' do much with the computer.
We have only the one machine in the house and Brendan uses it for work 24/7. While he does that, i will watch one of the maybe four shows I like,  or read or do stuff in the house or play with Bode.
I don't think that either the web nor tv rule my life.

this site dominates a few days, though.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/07 at 6:54 am

I think the internet has been my friend for 10 years now and I've been using it ever since.

Check for new replies or respond here...