inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Brother's Getting Married!

Written By: Henk on 09/26/07 at 1:50 pm

...and as it happens: so is his fiancée! :D This is what their wedding card looks like...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/weddingcard.bmp

It's hard to make out, but it's two hearts in the sand near the seashore. Very fitting, 'cause: a) we live near the seashore, and b) it's where they first felt connected in that special way.
My brother is six and a half years my senior, and we were all kinda surprised to find out he had a girlfriend in the first place. As far as I can remember, he's never had any serious relationships before. And then, I think only six months after their first encounter, they announced their marriage (that was late 2006). Wow... Even a bigger surprise!
Of course, we've met our (soon to be) sister-in-law already on several occasions, and she fits in perfectly with our little crazy gang. ;)
She's had one previous marriage, and has two boys aged 18 and 17 that accept my brother as if he was their father. Things just couldn't be better...
Although their initial plan was to move to Emmen (where my sister-in-law is coming from) after their marriage, they decided to live in Den Helder after all. It turned out to be rather difficult (if not impossible) for my brother to find a suitable job (with a decent pay) in the surroundings of Emmen, and since he currently has a decent job the choice was easy. My sister-in-law is working in home care, so for her it is of less importance where she lives (there's a shortage nationwide). Nevertheless, it wasn't/isn't easy for her to give up her old life and friends/family/relatives... And let's not forget her two boys: the oldest is staying in Emmen (old enough to stand on his own feet, or else...now's a good a time as any to learn), and the youngest is also moving to Den Helder. Which means he's switching schools, with all that comes with it. To make the transition as smooth as possible, the couple decided to advance the move to Den Helder to July (so the boy would be starting his new school year in Den Helder instead of Emmen).

Now...about the marriage.
There's going to be two ceremonies: the civil wedding will be held in Den Helder, on Friday September 29th.
The church wedding will take place in Emmen, on Friday October 5th. They've chosen to do so in order to make it possible for friends and relatives of both parties to visit at least one of the ceremonies.
We (my parents and my siblings) are planning to be present at both ceremonies (provided my mother will be released from hospital in time). We're very much looking forward to these events, I can tell you. It's not something we experience every day!
There's not going to be any big parties - we're not that kind of people. Just a cold meal afterwards.

I don't think I will be posting any pictures of the ceremonies/parties, because I like to respect people's privacy. Hope you don't mind...

Subject: Re: My Brother's Getting Married!

Written By: Paul on 09/26/07 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations to bride-and-groom-to-be, Henk...

Here's wishing them many happy years of married bliss... :)

Hope all the families involved have a great day...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/26/07 at 2:00 pm

That's wonderful news, Henk...I'm so thrilled for your brother and his fiancee!  :)

Written By: Gis on 09/26/07 at 2:02 pm

Have a fabulous day Henk! Are you the Best Man?

Written By: statsqueen on 09/26/07 at 3:07 pm

Which date will they use for their anniversary?

Written By: Henk on 09/26/07 at 3:17 pm

Congratulations to bride-and-groom-to-be, Henk...

Here's wishing them many happy years of married bliss... :)

Hope all the families involved have a great day...

That's wonderful news, Henk...I'm so thrilled for your brother and his fiancee!  :)

Have a fabulous day Henk! Are you the Best Man?

Thanks all! :) Unfortunately, the weather forecast isn't looking great... Hope we don't get drenched.

I won't be Best Man. In fact, there won't be a best man at all. My brother asked a long time friend to do the honours (a promise he made decades ago), but it turned out this long time friend wasn't a friend after all...So now my two sisters will do the honours.

Which date will they use for their anniversary?

Interesting question...I hadn't thought about that. I assume they'll go for September 28. We'll find out in a year, won't we?

Written By: Red Ant on 09/26/07 at 5:03 pm

Please pass my warm wishes on to your brother and fiancee.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/07 at 5:11 pm

So is mine!  He and his sweetheart are engaged, but the wedding is not until next July. 

I'm not usually a sentimental guy, but something about my little bro all grown up and about to be a husband...
:)

Written By: Henk on 09/27/07 at 12:01 am

Please pass my warm wishes on to your brother and fiancee.

Ant

Will do - although they don't know the first thing about this board or their members.

Written By: Henk on 09/27/07 at 12:03 am

So is mine!  He and his sweetheart are engaged, but the wedding is not until next July. 

I'm not usually a sentimental guy, but something about my little bro all grown up and about to be a husband...
:)

Well, congrats to your brother and his fiancée too. :)

July seems like a much better month to have a wedding party than September/October. Lucky you.

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/07 at 12:56 am

Congratulations to your brother and his future wife :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/27/07 at 2:32 am

all the best wishes for their lives to be Happy Together and an early congrats to you Henk on soon having a new sister-in-law. she sounds like a nice addition to the family. also, I hope your mom is quickly recovering from her illness.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/27/07 at 3:33 am

Best wishes to the happy couple.  May their wedding day only be the continuation of a loving partnership. 

What a lovely wedding card!  What are the bride's colors (if you know) (the colors of any attendants dress/ties are usually color coordinated)?    Yeah, it's a weird thing for some of us females, we like to know these things.  ;)

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/27/07 at 3:50 am

Best wishes to your brother and his future wife. I wish them happiness!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/07 at 8:19 am

Best wishes to the both of them! :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/27/07 at 10:39 am

How nice to hear some good news.  Congratulations and have a great time at the ceremonies.

Written By: Henk on 09/27/07 at 1:01 pm

Thank you all for your kind wishes.  :) We hope to have a great day tomorrow.

My mother won't be present, though. :\'( She's not recovered enough to be released from hospital. In fact, she's still in ICU. So...instead of her going to the party, we will take the party to her. (Don't worry, we'll keep our voices down!)

What a lovely wedding card!  What are the bride's colors (if you know) (the colors of any attendants dress/ties are usually color coordinated)?    Yeah, it's a weird thing for some of us females, we like to know these things.   ;)

I'll tell you as soon as I know...which is probably some time tomorrow evening.
There's no color or dress code, so for all we know there might be a terrible clash...(not very likely, though).

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/27/07 at 1:47 pm

I send my good thoughts to your ailing Mother, as well

Written By: Henk on 09/28/07 at 4:00 pm

What are the bride's colors (if you know) (the colors of any attendants dress/ties are usually color coordinated)?    Yeah, it's a weird thing for some of us females, we like to know these things.   ;)

Well, I can tell you now...The bride went in blue. Dark blue for the long skirt and the what-d'ye-call-it...jacket? ??? Or is that more of an overcoat thing? You shouldn't ask me this kind of stuff, really... :-\\
Anyway, she was wearing a lighter blue shirt with frills underneath it.
The groom also went in dark blue (a three-piece, quite stunning actually) with a lighter blue shirt.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/28/07 at 11:02 pm

Well, I can tell you now...The bride went in blue. Dark blue for the long skirt and the what-d'ye-call-it...jacket? ??? Or is that more of an overcoat thing? You shouldn't ask me this kind of stuff, really... :-\\
Anyway, she was wearing a lighter blue shirt with frills underneath it.
The groom also went in dark blue (a three-piece, quite stunning actually) with a lighter blue shirt.

:)  Thank you.  She sounds like a pretty bride.  I don't know why I need to know these things, perhaps because I didn't get to wear anything special for my weddings.  ;D

I was thinking of you guys today.  White wedding (Billy Idol) came on the radio today, and I was thinking "Henk's brother is getting married!!"

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 3:21 am

:)  Thank you.  She sounds like a pretty bride.  I don't know why I need to know these things, perhaps because I didn't get to wear anything special for my weddings.   ;D

I was thinking of you guys today.  White wedding (Billy Idol) came on the radio today, and I was thinking "Henk's brother is getting married!!"

Glad I could be of service, Patty. :) To paint an even more accurate picture: I think the bride has about your stature.

You didn't ask, but I'll tell you anyway:
I was wearing a white shirt, a pale blue jacket, a pair of dark blue corduroy trousers (mind you, it was a windy day with temperatures just reaching the 60's) and black shoes (that looked a very dark blue when I bought them...). Of course, I was also wearing a tie. Here's a sample of the fabric...The main fabric is actually a silvery white.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/TieFabric.jpg

Both the ceremony and the cold meal afterwards went according to plan. Not a lot of people showed up, though...In all, I'd say there was about 30 people. (About 50 people were invited, but apparently quite a lot of them were ill). Well, we had a good time anyway, although circumstances weren't exactly ideal for the photo shoot. It was windy, overcast and rather cold. Thank goodness it didn't rain while we were out & about.
The newlyweds, the bride's youngest son, the bride's mother and the photographer visited my mother in hospital. My mother was put in a chair for the occasion, and I know pictures were taken. Needless to say it was an emotional event for my mother.
The whole ceremony (and parts of the cold meal) were videotaped by my brother-in-law, btw.  Now we'll just have to wait and see what it's gonna look like.

Next Friday, we'll be going to Emmen for the church wedding. More news to follow.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/29/07 at 4:25 am

Nice tie.  I love those colors together.  It reminds me of what my hubby wore when we got married.

Thanks for sharing with me your ensemble that you wore to the wedding.  Sounds like you were a handsome fellow.  :)  I like hearing about details of weddings.  Such a happy time in a family (usually).

Written By: Howard on 09/29/07 at 6:58 am

Are You going to follow in your Brother's footsteps?  ;)

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 7:07 am

Are You going to follow in your Brother's footsteps?  ;)

Who's to say...at this point in time, I don't have any plans, not even a partner.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/07 at 7:35 am

Who's to say...at this point in time, I don't have any plans, not even a partner.

I wish you good luck,hopefully you'll find that special someone to settle down with. :)

Written By: statsqueen on 09/29/07 at 8:02 am

Henk,

Thank you for sharing the details with us.  I have never been married, but hope to someday (my daughter teases me that she will be married before I am--she might be right).  So I love hearing about colors and everything else that goes along with it.  Can't wait to hear about the next ceremony.  Please keep us in mind and try to remember as many details about the wedding and any receptions that follow.  I'm sorry the weather wasn't more cooperative, but it sounds like you all made the very best of what you had to work with.  :)

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 8:09 am

I wish you good luck,hopefully you'll find that special someone to settle down with. :)

Same to you, Howard, same to you...

Call me crazy, but I don't see you marry Robin - ever. If she really wanted you the way you want her, you'd be a married couple already.
But then, I may be wrong...The world's full of surprises.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/07 at 8:11 am

Congrats on the wedding.

I went to a wedding this morning, I did not see your brother there.

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 8:21 am

Henk,

Thank you for sharing the details with us.  I have never been married, but hope to someday (my daughter teases me that she will be married before I am--she might be right).  So I love hearing about colors and everything else that goes along with it.  Can't wait to hear about the next ceremony.  Please keep us in mind and try to remember as many details about the wedding and any receptions that follow.  I'm sorry the weather wasn't more cooperative, but it sounds like you all made the very best of what you had to work with.   :)

It's a pleasure sharing this good news. There's trouble/fighting enough already.

I noticed something funny yesterday...Well, not exactly funny... My siblings, my parents and I are all non-smokers (well, apart from my brother that got married), whereas the family of my SIL seem to have a lot of smokers. I haven't been watching their every move, of course, but I did notice her sister, he brother-in-law and their children (with their partners) leave the party several times.

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 8:24 am

Congrats on the wedding.

I went to a wedding this morning, I did not see your brother there.

Most likely because he wasn't there... ::)

Anyway, how was the wedding? Don't know about UK, but it's been raining here practically all morning. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/07 at 8:25 am

Anyway, how was the wedding? Don't know about UK, but it's been raining here practically all morning. :P

The weather held up, all went fine.

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 8:29 am

The weather held up, all went fine.

Glad to hear it.  :) Was it anyone we should know about? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/07 at 8:34 am

Glad to hear it.  :) Was it anyone we should know about? ???
A member of a family very closer to us, of a brother to one of our God Children.

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 9:15 am

A member of a family very closer to us, of a brother to one of our God Children.

Congrats on the newlyweds. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/07 at 10:57 am

Congrats on the newlyweds. :)
The couple are very happy to be together

Written By: statsqueen on 09/29/07 at 12:36 pm

The couple are very happy to be together

Wishing them a lifetime of happiness.

Written By: Henk on 11/05/07 at 4:21 pm

Bumping this one, 'cause my brother is still getting married...

They've set a new date for the church wedding: November 23.

Another day to look forward to...Let's hope everything will go according to plan this time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/05/07 at 4:35 pm

Bumping this one, 'cause my brother is still getting married...

They've set a new date for the church wedding: November 23.

Another day to look forward to...Let's hope everything will go according to plan this time.
Are you going to be the Best Man?

Written By: Henk on 11/06/07 at 12:21 pm

Are you going to be the Best Man?

I don't think there's going to be a best man at all, Philip... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/07 at 12:36 pm

I don't think there's going to be a best man at all, Philip... :-\\
There should be, for it is The Best Man that organising the groom on the day and makes sure that the Groom turns up at church or the location of the service, also he makes the speeches at the reception.

Written By: Henk on 11/06/07 at 4:49 pm

There should be, for it is The Best Man that organising the groom on the day and makes sure that the Groom turns up at church or the location of the service, also he makes the speeches at the reception.

Hah! There's not gonna be a reception. :P Apart from that, I think my brother and his wife will take care of things themselves. Not that there's much to take care of, that I know.

But seriously...They've cancelled the reception, in the light of recent events. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/07 at 5:05 pm

Hah! There's not gonna be a reception. :P Apart from that, I think my brother and his wife will take care of things themselves. Not that there's much to take care of, that I know.

But seriously...They've cancelled the reception, in the light of recent events. :(
Oh yes, but they has a be a family get together.

Written By: Henk on 11/07/07 at 12:10 am

Oh yes, but they has a be a family get together.

There will be a cold meal served afterwards - but everything has been arranged already.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 12:21 am

Are they geting married in a church?

Written By: Henk on 11/08/07 at 12:24 am

Are they geting married in a church?

Yes they are. Haven't got a picture at hand, though... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/07 at 3:52 pm

Please wish the Bride and Groom all the best on their happy day.

Written By: Henk on 11/11/07 at 1:06 am

Please wish the Bride and Groom all the best on their happy day.

Will do! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/07 at 3:53 am

Will do! :)
Can I how did the day go?

Written By: Henk on 11/11/07 at 10:09 am

Can I how did the day go?

A bit early for that, Philip...It isn't until the 23rd. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/07 at 10:13 am

With apologies, somehow I thought it was this weekend.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/14/07 at 4:19 am

How did the church wedding go?

Written By: Henk on 12/15/07 at 10:52 am

How did the church wedding go?

Thank you, Patty, for remembering. :)

I didn't feel much like posting back then, and when nobody asked me about it I felt even less like posting. That's why there's been no update.

The church wedding went almost according to plan. Almost, because we (my sisters, my father, my brother, my BIL and their kids) arrived a liitle too late...This was due to the fact that we had to wait for my sister, BIL and their kids to arrive (my other sister, my brother, my father and I had left Den Helder earlier). Well, nothing new under the sun there...
Anyway, the service was good, although emotional (as was to be expected). Afterwards, coffee and cake was served in a sideroom of the church (a former showroom, btw) and presents were handed to the married couple.
After that there was a photo shoot, and then we (i.e. family & close relatives of the couple) went off to Emmercompascuum for a cold meal. I believe the meal ended over an hour behind schedule, but what did it matter?

We spent the night in Weerdinge (the same place where we had spent our last holiday together...) and returned to Den Helder the next day. On our way home, we stopped in Heerenveen for some (completely superfluous but entertaining) shopping.

And that was that. I haven't seen any photos yet, so I can't show them to you either.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/16/07 at 12:11 am

Sounds like a nice day!  If I might ask out of curiosity: what are typical wedding gifts in the Netherlands?

Written By: Henk on 12/16/07 at 1:15 am

Sounds like a nice day!  If I might ask out of curiosity: what are typical wedding gifts in the Netherlands?

It was a nice day. :)

I can't think of any typical Dutch wedding gifts... :-\\ I'm not sure if we have those. Or maybe we do, but I don't recognize them as being typically Dutch (anymore).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/07 at 5:48 am

That sounds very nice Henk.

You said you arrived a little too late, so did you get to see any of the ceremony?  Were they able to postpone it for you?

My best wishes to the bride and groom (again)  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/16/07 at 9:41 am

It was a nice day. :)

I can't think of any typical Dutch wedding gifts... :-\\ I'm not sure if we have those. Or maybe we do, but I don't recognize them as being typically Dutch (anymore).
I mean to say, are the gifts you give housewares and such or is it money?  I know in many parts of America people get actual presents, but here in New York, everyone gives money as a gift.

Written By: Henk on 12/16/07 at 10:27 am

I mean to say, are the gifts you give housewares and such or is it money?  I know in many parts of America people get actual presents, but here in New York, everyone gives money as a gift.

Both money and housewares can be given as presents. It all depends on what the couple is asking for. In this case, most of the presents were money (because the two of them have got more than enough housewares to last them the rest of their lives).

Written By: Henk on 12/16/07 at 10:31 am

That sounds very nice Henk.

You said you arrived a little too late, so did you get to see any of the ceremony?  Were they able to postpone it for you?

They had to wait for us...and we were only about 5 to 10 minutes late. The ceremony was scheduled for 14:30, but because of this it started about 5 to 10 minutes later.

My best wishes to the bride and groom (again)  :)

Thank you (again). ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/16/07 at 10:35 am

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad it was a nice day.

Written By: Henk on 12/16/07 at 10:39 am

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad it was a nice day.

No problem. :)

Written By: statsqueen on 12/16/07 at 1:02 pm

Please add my best wishes to the happy couple.

Check for new replies or respond here...