inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Questions For Our Friends Across The Pond

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/07 at 3:00 pm

Carlos & I are thinking about taking a trip to the U.K. (including Ireland, Scotland, etc) sometime in 2009. We are looking into taking a boat (probably the QE2) and staying for several weeks. What we would like to know is when is a good time to go (i.e. spring, summer, etc.) and what are some of the "Must see"s in your neck of the woods. We are interested in historical stuff (the Tower of London is already on our list), fun pubs (we want to meet some of the locals), and anything else you can recommend to us. We would love to visit with you while we are over there, too. Any info you can give us will be great. Thanks.

Cat

Subject: Re: Questions For Our Friends Across The Pond

Written By: Paul on 09/27/07 at 3:22 pm

First off, avoid London...it's full of lunatics (but that's what you get for having parliament there!)

Seriously...London's okay if you like the historical aspect (and a few of the museums are still free!), but don't forget the 'scenic' areas of the Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District (both up north), or if you're feeling really bold, hop over Hadrian's Wall and see Scottish Glen or two!

There's still several cities that make good use of their 'Roman' ancestry...Colchester, St. Albans, Chester...and if it's mystical, druid-y stuff you're after, head for mystical mid-Wales...

Best time to go? Any time you like! Winters aren't too cold but Summers tend to be a bit hit and miss...

Written By: Henk on 09/28/07 at 12:41 am

Carlos & I are thinking about taking a trip to the U.K. (including Ireland, Scotland, etc) sometime in 2009. We are looking into taking a boat (probably the QE2) and staying for several weeks. What we would like to know is when is a good time to go (i.e. spring, summer, etc.) and what are some of the "Must see"s in your neck of the woods. We are interested in historical stuff (the Tower of London is already on our list), fun pubs (we want to meet some of the locals), and anything else you can recommend to us. We would love to visit with you while we are over there, too. Any info you can give us will be great. Thanks.

Cat

:\'( :\'( :\'( Hey, I live across the pond too...

Written By: Paul on 09/28/07 at 9:14 am

:\'( :\'( :\'( Hey, I live across the pond too...

By Jove! So he does!

Yes, a lovely place, Holland (if you can squeeze it in!)...and there's a certain 'museum' in Amsterdam's Damrak which I'm sure Cat and Carlos would be interested in!  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 09/28/07 at 9:23 am

If you like the whole Castle deal Warwick is probably one of the best one's around and it's handy if you're in to the whole Shakespeare deal what with them being quite close together.

Written By: Gis on 09/28/07 at 9:34 am

If you like the whole Castle deal Warwick is probably one of the best one's around and it's handy if you're in to the whole Shakespeare deal what with them being quite close together.
I'll second that The Tower of London is an absolute MUST and so is Hampton Court in my opinion! I love Warwick Castle too and Stratford is good for a day out. If you go to Scotland go to Edinburgh it's fab.
Of course Oxford is worth a visit  ;) I'd do an open topped bus trip round London and Oxford and the castle/prison at Oxford is an interesting thing to visit too.

You have Avebury near here for the stones and of course Stonehenge.

Ireland will be great for the pub aspect you are after.  ;D

I would suggest Spring, it can be cold and sometimes wet but on the whole it's a better bet than Autumn (Fall) and Summer gets very, very busy for tourists at the main attractions. My friend visited mid to late march both times and it was great weatherwise, chilly but sunny.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/07 at 9:38 am

Do not forget the London Eye.

Written By: La Roche on 09/28/07 at 10:26 am

I'll second that The Tower of London is an absolute MUST and so is Hampton Court in my opinion! I love Warwick Castle too and Stratford is good for a day out. If you go to Scotland go to Edinburgh it's fab.
Of course Oxford is worth a visit  ;) I'd do an open topped bus trip round London and Oxford and the castle/prison at Oxford is an interesting thing to visit too.

You have Avebury near here for the stones and of course Stonehenge.

Ireland will be great for the pub aspect you are after.  ;D

I would suggest Spring, it can be cold and sometimes wet but on the whole it's a better bet than Autumn (Fall) and Summer gets very, very busy for tourists at the main attractions. My friend visited mid to late march both times and it was great weatherwise, chilly but sunny.

Right, Spring, as long as you don't mind rain. Because it rains every freakin day during the Spring.

Written By: Gis on 09/28/07 at 10:33 am

Right, Spring, as long as you don't mind rain. Because it rains every freakin day during the Spring.
:P to Mr Negative.

This spring was lovely, it was the summer where it rained, and rained, and rained...........

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/07 at 11:08 am

I've been and Westminster Abbey has to be on the London List.  It is ab/fab to the 10th degree.  Take the tour so you get the story behind all of it.  I went to Beachy Head where, I am told, the locals go to avoid the tourists at Dover, and get a nicer view.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/07 at 11:08 am

Spring this year was perfect, it all started happening during the so-called summer months

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/07 at 11:09 am

I've been and Westminster Abbey has to be on the London List.  It is ab/fab to the 10th degree.  Take the tour so you get the story behind all of it.  I went to Beachy Head where, I am told, the locals go to avoid the tourists at Dover, and get a nicer view.
Be prepared for there is a charge to go into Westminster Abbey now.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/07 at 11:18 am

Be prepared for there is a charge to go into Westminster Abbey now.

When I was over(way back in a galaxy, far, far, away) I went to Stonehenge and you could walk right up to the stones and touch them. I hear that is out, now.

Another place I found fascinating is Highgate Cemetery, I love graveyards.  That was by walking tour only. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/07 at 11:20 am

When I was over(way back in a galaxy, far, far, away) I went to Stonehenge and you could walk right up to the stones and touch them. I hear that is out, now.
That was how it was for me I went to Stonehenge many years ago. Now they treat like a protent Druid.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/07 at 11:56 am

Thanks everyone for your input. We definitely want to go to Wales-our little town has a big welsh heritage and in fact, the street we live on is named after a city in Wales (a city we want to go to). We also want to visit Stonehenge but we have heard that you can't really go up to it (except during the Summer Solstice) and we are wondering if it is worth going if we can't go up to it.

And Henk, who knows, we may be able to swing a trip to the Netherlands.  ;)

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/07 at 12:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. We definitely want to go to Wales-our little town has a big welsh heritage and in fact, the street we live on is named after a city in Wales (a city we want to go to). We also want to visit Stonehenge but we have heard that you can't really go up to it (except during the Summer Solstice) and we are wondering if it is worth going if we can't go up to it.

Cat

I'm not sure it would be worth the trip now that you can't go up to it.  Touching the stones was 95% of the thrill.  If you are going to Wales I would suggest you stop in at Bath, England.  If you are a Jane Austen fan(I'm not particularly, but my sister is) it is a must see.

Written By: La Roche on 09/28/07 at 6:46 pm

:P to Mr Negative.

This spring was lovely, it was the summer where it rained, and rained, and rained...........

Point proven.  ;) ;D

Written By: Henk on 09/29/07 at 3:35 am

Cat

I'd love that...You're very welcome. :) If you do, please make it last longer than just one day. Of course, it is possible to visit all our main attractions in just one day, but you don't really get the time to see them.
Springtime (April/May) is as good a time to visit our country as any other time of year...We've pretty much got the same weather the whole year round nowadays. Difference is...in Spring you might be able to see our famous bulb fields blooming.

Written By: Gis on 09/30/07 at 2:52 pm

My friend from America went on an organised trip to Stonehenge 2 years ago and was able to get up to the stones, it might be worth looking in to.

Bath is lovely, I'd recommend it too.

Well with all that you need to come over for at least 3 months!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/07 at 3:40 pm

My friend from America went on an organised trip to Stonehenge 2 years ago and was able to get up to the stones, it might be worth looking in to.

Bath is lovely, I'd recommend it too.

Well with all that you need to come over for at least 3 months!  ;D

Yeah, it does seem that it will be a LONG trip to get everything we want to do in it.  :D ;D ;D  However, there is only 2 reason why we can't stay TOO long-Electra & Elvira. Otherwise, we can take as long as we want. We figured it will be anywhere from 3-6 weeks. At this point, we are only thinking about this-haven't made any plans yet. That is why we are asking about "must see"s. We want to make sure that everything we really want to do will be on the literary (with some wiggle room for "maybe"s and/or "why not"s). But, we really don't want to tire ourselves out and have to take a vacation to recoup from our vacation.  :D ;D ;D

Please everyone, keep those recommendations coming.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/07 at 7:12 am

Yeah, it does seem that it will be a LONG trip to get everything we want to do in it.  :D ;D ;D  However, there is only 2 reason why we can't stay TOO long-Electra & Elvira. Otherwise, we can take as long as we want. We figured it will be anywhere from 3-6 weeks. At this point, we are only thinking about this-haven't made any plans yet. That is why we are asking about "must see"s. We want to make sure that everything we really want to do will be on the literary (with some wiggle room for "maybe"s and/or "why not"s). But, we really don't want to tire ourselves out and have to take a vacation to recoup from our vacation.  :D ;D ;D

Please everyone, keep those recommendations coming.

Cat

Liverpool?      www.beatlestours.co.uk/

Written By: La Roche on 10/01/07 at 7:24 am

I just have to mention something funny in regard to this.

A friend of mine from the U.S was over in England at the same point as me. We'd been in London for a couple of days and he was leaving the next day so we were doing the big sightseeing trip before he left.. now, his girlfriend of the time was with him.. her suggestion "Oh, let's go on the Beatles tour, it's in.. Liverpool, what's the nearest tube station." When she figured out I was laughing at her she made the mental connection and then came up with this gem - "Oh, do we have to take a cab?" I can't remember if I had to change my pants or not.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/07 at 8:24 am

I just have to mention something funny in regard to this.

A friend of mine from the U.S was over in England at the same point as me. We'd been in London for a couple of days and he was leaving the next day so we were doing the big sightseeing trip before he left.. now, his girlfriend of the time was with him.. her suggestion "Oh, let's go on the Beatles tour, it's in.. Liverpool, what's the nearest tube station." When she figured out I was laughing at her she made the mental connection and then came up with this gem - "Oh, do we have to take a cab?" I can't remember if I had to change my pants or not.

Sheesh, I guess she wasn't good with maps  ;D

Written By: Gis on 10/01/07 at 8:55 am

Sheesh, I guess she wasn't good with maps   ;D
You wouldn't believe how many Americans think you can travel the length of the U.K in a couple of hours because we are such a 'small island'  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/07 at 11:42 am

That thought was in the back of my head.  ;)

You wouldn't believe how many Americans think you can travel the length of the U.K in a couple of hours because we are such a 'small island'  ;D

Yesterday, I was looking at a website on Shrewsbury (yes, that is on our list, too). It was saying about what places are good to stay at if you have a car or not have a car-which leads me to a concern: Transportation to many of these places we want to go to. I understand that public transportation (i.e. the train and bus systems) in the U.K. is much better than it is here in the U.S. I don't know if Carlos would want to rent a car or not-and I'm not too sure if I WANT him to rent a car-nothing against car rentals in the U.K. but I think Carlos might have a difficult time driving on the "wrong" side of the road.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Bobo on 10/01/07 at 11:48 am

Yesterday, I was looking at a website on Shrewsbury (yes, that is on our list, too). It was saying about what places are good to stay at if you have a car or not have a car-which leads me to a concern: Transportation to many of these places we want to go to. I understand that public transportation (i.e. the train and bus systems) in the U.K. is much better than it is here in the U.S. I don't know if Carlos would want to rent a car or not-and I'm not too sure if I WANT him to rent a car-nothing against car rentals in the U.K. but I think Carlos might have a difficult time driving on the "wrong" side of the road.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Well I can personally recommend Shrewsbury.. if only because nobody gives a darn which side of the road you drive on in this place! If you wish for me to recommend it any more, feel free to ask me to do so.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/07 at 12:11 pm

Well I can personally recommend Shrewsbury.. if only because nobody gives a darn which side of the road you drive on in this place! If you wish for me to recommend it any more, feel free to ask me to do so.

The reason Shrewsbury is on our list is because we are both fans of the Brother Cadfael series (books and shows).

Any place else you recommend?

Cat

Written By: Bobo on 10/01/07 at 12:14 pm

Ah yes, the Abbey is a hotspot certainly for those who have read the books. I believe there was some kind of television series shot here some several years ago too...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/07 at 2:36 pm

Ah yes, the Abbey is a hotspot certainly for those who have read the books. I believe there was some kind of television series shot here some several years ago too...

I did not realize that you live in Shrewsbury (until I just checked your profile).  :-[  I hope that when we get over there, you will show us one of the best local pubs and we will buy you a drink.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/07 at 7:58 am

I did not realize that you live in Shrewsbury (until I just checked your profile).  :-[  I hope that when we get over there, you will show us one of the best local pubs and we will buy you a drink.  ;D

Cat
I have never been to Shrewsbury.

Written By: La Roche on 10/07/07 at 9:21 am

That thought was in the back of my head.  ;)

Cat

Transport is better than... some.. parts of the U.S. The transit systems in Chicago, New York, D.C etc are just so superior to everything outside of London. Essentially, London has a great public transport system, it has it's faults but it's pretty much as good as any in the U.S. You do not need a car in London.
Birmingham is reasonably easy to get around as well as Nottingham and I found Liverpool pretty easy to get around as well. In any large city you can walk most of it though, cities in the UK are set up differently to the U.S 95% of everything you'll want to see is in or around the middle, this is as I'm sure you know due to the age of the cities. It can make traffic unbearable but it makes shopping and sightseeing very simple.
Now, if you want to go anywhere not in a city, to put it bluntly, you're screwed. I'd suggest reading Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Small Island' if you'd like to get acquainted with the rural British transport system. To be frank, it's crap. Thatcher raped it and Blair ignored it.

Written By: Gis on 10/07/07 at 3:03 pm

Most of the places you want to get to are bigger towns so they will have rail links, train travel is fairly expensive though, it's cheaper if you travel off peak.

Most big towns and cities have open topped tour buses which are a great way to get about as with most of them you can hop on and hop off at different locations around the city centre. It's certainly a useful way to get about London's landmarks!

My friend who visited went on an organised coach trip from London to Stonehenge and as I say it allowed them to go right up to the stones. 

Written By: maddog on 10/18/07 at 3:22 am

Hey Cat & Carlos - I just found this thread (little late).

I go along with all the recommendations that have been made so far....personally I would absolutely recommend a trip to Edinburgh if you can fit it in.

Edinburgh during the festival (August) is great, very busy but so much to do. There is the mainstream arts festival and also the Fringe festival (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Fringe_Festival) going on at the same time. You would have to book well in advance to get accommodation in August.

I love the Castle, where you can look down onto the whole city from the Camera Obscura (http://brightbytes.com/cosite/2edinb.html). If you can get tickets for the Tattoo that is always a great show in a memorable setting (http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/) and I also enjoy a walk up Arthur's Seat (an extinct volcano outside the city, gentle walk to the summit but great views from the top across the Firth of Forth and the Kingdom of Fife beyond.

Enjoy the trip guys, now you have so many suggestions you will need to plan carefully but I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you decide to do ;).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/07 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Like I said, nothing is planned as of yet-there still is a long way to go before we have to make any definite plans.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...