inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stink bugs!!

Written By: loki 13 on 10/06/07 at 6:29 pm

For the past week I've been inundated with stink bugs, I've thrown out three today. I never had a stink bug
problem before but this year they are relentless. I stopped my wife from squishing the little bastards, I told her,
"You don't want to do that, catch the things and slam them against the wall outside and eventually they'll die but
whatever you do, don't squash them in the house the smell is awful."

Subject: Re: Stink bugs!!

Written By: statsqueen on 10/06/07 at 6:53 pm

For the past week I've been inundated with stink bugs, I've thrown out three today. I never had a stink bug
problem before but this year they are relentless. I stopped my wife from squishing the little bastards, I told her,
"You don't want to do that, catch the things and slam them against the wall outside and eventually they'll die but
whatever you do, don't squash them in the house the smell is awful."

They are a nasty pain in the butt, no doubt.  We used to spray my Victoria's Secret fragrance on them before killing them.  Then we got smart, designated a small container for the specific purpose of capture, and started flushing them down the toilet.  Now my problem is box elder bugs (they have red on their wings).  Once you have them, you can't get rid of them permanently.  My landlord gave me some stuff, but it isn't as effective as the stuff he sprayed from a container.  The good news (if you can call it that) is that they are only on the south side of the duplex (which unfortunately is our front door) and if they do get inside, they don't go any further than the front door screen.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/06/07 at 6:55 pm

I haven't seen to many around here this year.  

In the fall I usually get a ladybug infestation in the upstairs bedrooms.  You can go outside and see thousands flying around and by the next morning they will have found a way into my house.  Last year there were at least 50 in the corners of my daughters room.    

Written By: Howard on 10/06/07 at 8:09 pm

What's a stink bug? ???

Written By: loki 13 on 10/06/07 at 8:19 pm

What's a stink bug? ???

The ones I get are brown stink bugs, These bugs are shaped like a shield and they secrete a foul smelling
liquid, especially when they get squashed. I'll try and find a picture.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/07 at 8:26 pm

The ones I get are brown stink bugs, These bugs are shaped like a shield and they secrete a foul smelling
liquid, especially when they get squashed. I'll try and find a picture.

That must be gross. :P

Written By: loki 13 on 10/06/07 at 8:30 pm

That must be gross. :P

It is, that's why you try not to kill them in the house, or even pick the up with a tissue. The best thing is
to catch them in a little container and kill them outside. they are like tiny skunks.  :P

Written By: La Roche on 10/06/07 at 8:44 pm

I hate stink bugs!

I live in a basement and thus get a lot of bugs, it's not normally an issue, we pretty much co-habit, they stick to the dark corners and I stick to the high ground, but recently they've been getting way out of line.

I had a family of crickets decide to come hang out with me, if you thought they were annoying outside, wait until you get them inside.. then try finding and systematically eliminating them all. Best way to do it is turn the lights off so they start doing their noise, then get all Predator on their asses and stalk them with a flashlight and raid.

I ended up doing a major dose of poison down there and sleeping upstairs on the couch for a couple nights.

Written By: statsqueen on 10/06/07 at 9:07 pm

I couldn't find a picture of the type of stink bug we dealt with in our previous residence.  The ones we got I was told were Box Elders, but they don't look anything like the "real" box elder bug.  The stink bugs we got were long (probably 2 inches long) with an elongated shield.

Written By: karen on 10/06/07 at 10:23 pm

I had a look in my field guide for a picture.  I think I would call it a shield bug but I can't recall noticing a smell around them before (though I can't say that I've ever squashed one).  But I also don't know if all shield bugs are stink bugs are not.

(wiki article here)

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/07 at 11:58 pm

This is the first I've ever heard of a shield/stink bug.  Can't say as I would want them around here lol

Check for new replies or respond here...