inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: why do these things happen in movies? case scenario, Haddonfield.

Written By: KKay on 10/06/07 at 9:07 pm

Ok. Right now I'm watching Halloween.

Question:  Why are all the parents out for the night?  Where did they go?  And, apparently, they go to this place every year.  Some "adult" Halloween party?  Not likely.  What happened to the parents of Haddonfeild?

Also, why does everyone in a movie get a parking spot right in front of the building they have to go to?  I never get that.

Subject: Re: why do these things happen in movies? case scenario, Haddonfield.

Written By: La Roche on 10/07/07 at 9:41 am

Also, why does everyone in a movie get a parking spot right in front of the building they have to go to?  I never get that.

Because you live in the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the world and even serial killers take the subway.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/07/07 at 10:27 am

I've had a lot of these questions.

When someone in the movies wants to see a something on TV, as soon as they turn on the TV that item is what's on.
Then after they see it they turn the TV off.

Why does an elevator show up exactly when someone is trying to get away, then close immediately?

And my biggest question; When our hero is being chased or chasing someone early in the movie they get lost in a parade.
why a parade? Who has that many parades?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/07 at 12:08 pm

Whenever someone runs out of bullets, they throw the gun at whoever they are shooting at-as if that is going to do anything.  ::)

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 10/07/07 at 12:35 pm

Whenever someone runs out of bullets, they throw the gun at whoever they are shooting at-as if that is going to do anything.  ::)

Especially in old Superman movies, He'd stand there and let the bullets bounce off his chest but when the bad guys threw
the gun at him, he would duck.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/07 at 12:46 pm

Especially in old Superman movies, He'd stand there and let the bullets bounce off his chest but when the bad guys threw
the gun at him, he would duck.  ;D

LMAO! I had forgotten about that.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 2:24 pm

real life is boring.

would we watch a show/movie where we had to watch a character circle a block looking for a parking space  (except for that one ep of seinfeld)
would we watch CSI if we had to wait months for the lab results to come back
Would we watch someone waiting longer than two seconds for an elevator?
How about driving across town especially in LA or NY in a few minutes,  Can never happen in real life thats why we use the movies/tv for escapist fantasy.

That Superman thing is super funny tho ;D

and why in slasher films does the killer always walk and the victim always runs then she inevitably falls and he miraculously  catches her and kills her

the bad guys all have bad aim and the good guys bullets are always on target

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/07 at 2:55 pm

That Superman thing is super funny tho ;D

and why in slasher films does the killer always walk and the victim always runs then she inevitably falls and he miraculously  catches her and kills her

Or the killer is always BEHIND them.

the bad guys all have bad aim and the good guys bullets are always on target

I have made that comment to Carlos many, many times. And then the bad guy throws the gun at them.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 10/07/07 at 3:12 pm

I have another one; Why does the bad guy have to explain all his intentions while the hero is tied up,
giving the hero time to loosen his bindings and saving the day.....just shoot the bast**d.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/07 at 3:18 pm

I have another one; Why does the bad guy have to explain all his intentions while the hero is tied up,
giving the hero time to loosen his bindings and saving the day.....just shoot the bast**d.

The bad guy ALWAYS confesses. There always has to be a "how I did it" moment.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 10/07/07 at 6:23 pm

Haddonfield haunts me.  Thee night that Michael Myers killed his sister, all the parents were out.  When his Parents came home, they were in regulary clothes...so not at a halloween party.
so.....

what? a cult? they wanted the kids dead? what is up with that town?

all your examples are great.

and davey, you're right. they never caught the zodiac.

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 6:33 pm

Haddonfield haunts me.  Thee night that Michael Myers killed his sister, all the parents were out.  When his Parents came home, they were in regulary clothes...so not at a halloween party.
so.....

maybe they hate halloween and decided to go to dinner. They had the sister 'watch' little mikey and she was probably supposed to take him trick or treating but instead left him to his own devices. Unfortunately by neglecting him she ended up dead. Good thing Laurie was just an infant then... or did his parents come home before he could kill her too? I forget.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/07/07 at 8:16 pm

One that irked me, as a librarian.  You know when they go to the library to look at the old newspapers on Microfilm?  Why is it they can fast forward a couple seconds, then bingo...it always lands on the exact article they are there to "research"?  Sometimes it's not even a JUMBO headline, it'll be a teeny little article on page 10 of a newspaper that was 50 years ago, but they find the exact thing within seconds.

How come they rarely show people stealing books or ripping out things of the newspaper at the library?  It happens all the time in real life.  ::)

And I have yet to see a librarian that even remotely looks like me.  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/07/07 at 8:46 pm

This is a good list: http://listverse.com/entertainment/5-reasons-that-we-love-cheesy-horror-movies/

and this one: http://listverse.com/miscellaneous/top-10-movie-cliches/

Written By: Howard on 10/08/07 at 7:03 am

Why do "doubles" happen in a film,Is It because the real actors don't want to get hurt?

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/08/07 at 10:38 am

So you're driving on a road, let's say Rt 66 or somewhere in the Bayou and you stop to get gas, you think you might have missed your turn-off and the dude (with greasy hair, a limp and a few missing teeth) working there says "You can stay on the main road and drive for another 3 hours or you could take this short-cut...it's not on any map but you'll get to your destination quicker.  Just make a left up at the deserted barn."  Would you take his advice?  I don't think so, but I notice it's very popular in the movies.

Written By: Jessica on 10/08/07 at 10:44 am

Anyone notice how there are always thunderstorms at crucial moments in movies? And what about the cars not starting when the victim is trying to get away? :D

Written By: KKay on 10/09/07 at 8:01 am

Looks like we have the makings of a blockbuster here!

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 10:15 am

So you're driving on a road, let's say Rt 66 or somewhere in the Bayou and you stop to get gas, you think you might have missed your turn-off and the dude (with greasy hair, a limp and a few missing teeth) working there says "You can stay on the main road and drive for another 3 hours or you could take this short-cut...it's not on any map but you'll get to your destination quicker.  Just make a left up at the deserted barn."  Would you take his advice?  I don't think so, but I notice it's very popular in the movies.

But I thought all the locals know the best routes.  ;D

the best part of this is the travellers' are also making fun of toothy, then karma strikes and their car breaks down so they hike to the nearest house, & usually there are about 50 cars parked next to the house (or behind the barn)  Why is it that no one ever questions why the cars are there or how they got there in the first place.

Written By: Tia on 10/09/07 at 10:39 am

Ok. Right now I'm watching Halloween.

Question:  Why are all the parents out for the night? 

because the psycho killers need to kill the kids and that's hard with the parents around.

Also, why does everyone in a movie get a parking spot right in front of the building they have to go to?  because watching people look for parking spaces sucks?

i remember they commented on this in “invasion,” which is set in washington -- at one point nicole kidman’s character pulls up to the main drag in Georgetown and there’s a parking space, right in front of her M street townhouse. You could live in Georgetown for generations without such a parking space EVER opening up right in front of your house. but that’s the magic of the movies.

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 10:43 am

because watching people look for parking spaces sucks?

i remember they commented on this in “invasion,” which is set in washington -- at one point nicole kidman’s character pulls up to the main drag in Georgetown and there’s a parking space, right in front of her M street townhouse. You could live in Georgetown for generations without such a parking space EVER opening up right in front of your house. but that’s the magic of the movies.

The same thing can be said for any movie set in San Francisco. My friend always has to park blocks away from her house because parking is so limited

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/07 at 10:59 am

so.....

What I like to know is how many times does Michael Myers have to be killed? I think they killed him off in the first one, only for him to come back in the second one,-well the 3rd one was a waste, we don't talk about that one. I think I stopped watching it after that because it was always the same thing.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 10/09/07 at 11:03 am

What I like to know is how many times does Michael Myers have to be killed? I think they killed him off in the first one, only for him to come back in the second one,-well the 3rd one was a waste, we don't talk about that one. I think I stopped watching it after that because it was always the same thing.

Cat
everybody's hatin' on season of the witch, man!

i think i read something that that movie was done because they wanted to turn halloween into a weekly series, sorta like X-files or friday the 13th, but the movie was such a flop it never happened. but that was why it had a totally different plot from the first two.

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 11:11 am

Cat

and Jason what about Jason.  Jason Voorhees died at camp when he was child. His mother did the killing in the first film. But in the next 9 (10 if you count Freddy vs Jason) Jason returns as an adult. He "dies" in every film.  Even part IV was called the Final Chapter(1984) but they resurrected him in 85 for "A New Beginning"!

He wait a minute. Freddy was dead too but he keeps coming back (oh yeah but that's just in dreams its surrealism so apparently that's okay! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/07 at 11:17 am

and Jason what about Jason.  Jason Voorhees died at camp when he was child. His mother did the killing in the first film. But in the next 9 (10 if you count Freddy vs Jason) Jason returns as an adult. He "dies" in every film.  Even part IV was called the Final Chapter(1984) but they resurrected him in 85 for "A New Beginning"!

He wait a minute. Freddy was dead too but he keeps coming back (oh yeah but that's just in dreams its surrealism so apparently that's okay! 

I was thinking about Jason also but to tell you the truth, I have never seen any of the Friday the 13th movies and never care to so I couldn't say for sure if he was killed or not. But it seems that these serial killers are either super human or they are the walking dead.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/09/07 at 6:58 pm

Why does blood look so real?

Check for new replies or respond here...