inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Grand Theft Auto Alternatives

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/07 at 8:00 am

My son(16) wants Grand Theft Auto, I don't want it in my house, but I would pop for an alternative.  Can any of you gamers suggest a good one?

Subject: Re: Grand Theft Auto Alternatives

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 10:41 am

My son(16) wants Grand Theft Auto, I don't want it in my house, but I would pop for an alternative.  Can any of you gamers suggest a good one?

I like Driver but it depends on what your son likes about GTA (and what you don't) in Driver the character drives a getaway car for criminals so there is a lot of fast car driving.  The True Crime games are good first person shooters as well but again if its the glorification of crime and violence that you are opposed to then there is no real match out there because really that's what the GTA games are about.

If it helps I am almost 40, work for a police dept. and the GTA series are my favorite games. I don't put a lot of stock in the myth that these games corrupt our youth. The game is just a game. If someone plays GTA and then goes out on a rampage afterwards then they were predisposed anyway the game didn't make them do it.

One warning tho. The adrenaline does rise after playing these games and it takes a while to come down from them. I find I tend to drive too fast if I get in a car after playing these games too long.  I even have a speeding ticket to prove it.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/07 at 11:03 am

I like Driver but it depends on what your son likes about GTA (and what you don't) in Driver the character drives a getaway car for criminals so there is a lot of fast car driving.  The True Crime games are good first person shooters as well but again if its the glorification of crime and violence that you are opposed to then there is no real match out there because really that's what the GTA games are about.

If it helps I am almost 40, work for a police dept. and the GTA series are my favorite games. I don't put a lot of stock in the myth that these games corrupt our youth. The game is just a game. If someone plays GTA and then goes out on a rampage afterwards then they were predisposed anyway the game didn't make them do it.

One warning tho. The adrenaline does rise after playing these games and it takes a while to come down from them. I find I tend to drive too fast if I get in a car after playing these games too long.  I even have a speeding ticket to prove it.   ;D

He played it once at a friends,  I don't like the drug dealing, prostitution, slam bam stuff, I don't want to give those guys my money.  He is actually more into the pace of the game.  He is austitic and good at gaming.

Written By: Tia on 10/09/07 at 11:04 am

roller coaster tycoon or the sims are both totally fun G-rated games.

hell, RCT is so addictive that you might wish you'd gotten GTA. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/07 at 11:06 am

He like airplanes crashes, anything out there with that

Written By: Tia on 10/09/07 at 11:11 am

He like airplanes crashes, anything out there with that
microsoft flight simulator? that's a tried and true product, that one.

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 11:13 am

what kind of system is he playing on?

I played Top Gun on my PS one the planes crash a lot try to fly them

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 11:14 am

how about racing games?  Need for speed is a good one.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/07 at 11:15 am

PlayStation

Top Gun should do it, he loves the cars to but didn't take to the Gran Tourismo.

Written By: Tia on 10/09/07 at 11:29 am

oh, whoops. i thought it was a PC.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/07 at 11:38 am

For racing value alone can I recommend Midnight Club.

"Players race through London and New York cities. By modern standards, the cities are significantly less detailed than their real life counterparts, but were highly detailed and large for the game at the time. Both cities are designed for the racing scenario."

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 11:44 am

PlayStation

Top Gun should do it, he loves the cars to but didn't take to the Gran Tourismo.

is it Playstation 1, 2 or 3?  There is an RC Chopper game for PS2 coming out in the end of Nov 2007 that might fit the bill- it helicopters tho not planes.

Written By: NbC on 10/09/07 at 12:19 pm

The Twisted Metal Series is quite fun.  Not your everyday car race because you take out your opponent's any possible way....crash, shoot, burn. 
There is a version for Playstation One and Playstation 2

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/twisted-metal-series

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/07 at 3:50 pm

Playstation 2, and thanks, all recommendations are greatly appreciated  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...