inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kinds of physical injuries have you had in your life?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/16/07 at 9:24 pm

when I was about 9 years old, I stepped on a sewing needle that I had left in the carpet at my house.  for some reason, I remember sitting on the living room carpet, trying to sew a hole in my sock (like Father McKenzie, darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there) anyways, it sounds pretty sad that a young kid is doing this in the first place. I had to get up & when I returned I took a step & felt something cold & weird in my foot. I suddenly realized what had happened & looked at the bottom of my foot & there was this huge sewing needle embedded half an inch in my foot. I screamed & cried loudly. My dad came to the rescue. He got his pliers and yanked that mofo out.  damn! he used friggin pliers  :o

Subject: Re: What kinds of physical injuries have you had in your life?

Written By: karen on 10/16/07 at 9:36 pm

Nothing too serious.  When I was aged about 4 or 5 I had to have a few butterfly stitches when I split my head open by cracking heads with my brother.  I still have the scars around my left eyebrow.

I also still have a scar on my knee from falling over during a games session at school.  I grazed my knee and chipped the bone in my shoulder.  The knee was badly dressed by a teacher and my mum had to pull the plaster (band aid) off the worst part of the graze.  I also had to have my arm in a sling for a week or so.

I also have a scar on my left shin from when I slipped whilst climbing a concrete fence post.  I did it on November 5th and refused to let my mum remove the dressing until mid-December.  It was looking pretty rank by then and left a permanent scar when it healed over.

That's about it!

........waits for Davey's post

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/16/07 at 9:37 pm

I herniated a lower disc, had half of it removed.  A year later the other half slipped . . . so now I have $20,000 worth of titanium screws in my spine.

I had to have stitches on the left side of my lip when I was three . . . I fell off a rocking horse.

My sister smashed my foot with a hammer, I ended up in crutches for a few months.

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 9:44 pm

Back in 2002, I got smashed in the head by falling ice from a shopping mall (which was never confirmed) that left me in a bloody mess that soaked through my cap.  I had to be rushed to the E/R where a doctor sewed up my head with stitches.  

While I was in the E/R, I asked the doctor about how bad the damage was, and he basically told me that the cap I was wearing cushioned the blow.  I used to think about what would have happened had I not been wearing that cap, and it really scared me into tears :\'(

Written By: Midas on 10/16/07 at 9:50 pm

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few:

- sprained my arm at age 6 by jumping off my bed and executing an unsuccessful dismount
- asphalt-burned my left thigh at age 7 by falling out of a moving vehicle that turned because I had a beach towel stuck in the door and wasn't wearing a seatbelt
- chipped my bottom front tooth at age 10 by hitting my chin hard on a coffee table...I don't remember now how that all went down...
- broke my right index finger at age 12 while playing jungleball on the playground at recess...the whole class got into he game and I went to reach for the ball and some girl kicked my hand.

I've also had various concussions/blackout episodes over the years from stupid human tricks and the like.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/17/07 at 1:23 am

Generally I'm pretty clumsy - for instance I stub my toe all the time, and I tend to be a little unbalanced especially on stairs (I can't skateboard very well either, lol). That said, it's pretty amazing I've only rarely ever been somewhat seriously injured twice.

The first time was when I was 4 and a half. We'd just moved into our house we lived in for a few years (my favorite childhood place), when I kinda tripped over the stairs and hit my head into the railing. I got 13 stitches, but ironically don't remember it hurting - I was probably going into shock or something. I can remember my mom panicking a little bit though. I still have a scar from it on my forehead today and it'll probably always be there (I don't mind though, it gives me another story to tell). Thankfully it turned out fine though.

The other time was c. 1992 when I was 10-11 and fractured my arm from falling a couple feet off a bed. That didn't hurt as bad at once, but I had to have it in a cast for two months or so. It was my right hand though, which is dominant, so I had to learn to do everything in an adapted sense for awhile. It was inconveinent, but when it was over I didn't mind 'cause it gave me stories to tell too. In retrospect, I did have some fun with it as it happened. Like when I was in certain hospitals, I kinda socialized and joked around about stuff. I don't remember details, but I thought it was cool that I made some girls laugh and all, lol.

Since then I've been super careful, although there's been a few close calls.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/07 at 6:23 am

banged my toe
banged my head and wound up with a bump
strained my hamstring bowling in my league 5 years ago.
cart ran over my toe.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/07 at 7:44 am

I accidently put my arm through a window when I was about 14...had numerous stitches.

Written By: KKay on 10/17/07 at 8:18 am

this is interesting reading....

now mine: major sprained ankle (you were all hep to that)
a few broken toes, the big dog bite on my wrist, I have had a concussion, stitches in my face and nose...
ummm...that's it really.

Written By: statsqueen on 10/17/07 at 8:28 am

5th grade:  Fell off a skateboard (at the bottom of the hill).  Skateboard went one way, I went another....sprained my ankle.

2 years ago (so yes, I was old enough to know better), Micah and some of her JV football teammates were riding in the back of a kid's pick up truck in the Homecoming parade.  Of course I was watching the parade (I hate them, but after all, my daughter was in it) from the sidewalk down from our house.  She called me over to the truck when it stopped because she had saved some tootsie rolls for me.  I wasn't paying attention to where my foot was in relation to the truck's tire.  As they crept forward, the tire ended up on the top of my foot--and stopped there.  It stayed on the top of my foot for the longest 30 seconds or so of my life.  I didn't realize it was on me until I felt this tremendous pressure.  Once the truck moved off my foot, I hobbled back to the sidewalk.  Micah later said she knew it wasn't good, but at that time had no idea what I had done.  I went home, put it up, but was scared to remove my tennis shoe.  Decided to go to ER (driving w/ it was interesting).  It was incredibly swollen but X-ray showed no fractures/breaks (none of us sure how since tire stopped on my foot).  Police came in to take a report, but I was adamant that it was my fault-not the kid's.  I couldn't even describe the truck!  Micah came home early from the game because she caught wind of what had happened (she knew something was up when I didn't come to the game).  I was in a velcro shoe for 3 weeks until the swelling went down enough to get my regular shoes on.  It was chilly that fall, too!!!

Other than that, I've been pretty lucky.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/17/07 at 11:47 am

When I was about 5 the kid next door was trying to smash open some toy, he threw it on the ground a few times and the last time he hit my toes, a few weeks later my toenail turned black and fell off.

When I was a teen I was going into the garage, I tired to prop open the heavy metal door with my foot.  My foot slipped and the door closed slightly over my foot, when I looked down my big toenail was standing straight up in the air, blood everywhere.  I went to the ER and they had to cut the rest of the nail off. 

Written By: NullandVoid on 10/17/07 at 12:10 pm

When I was five and I tried to shave my legs. I ended up pulling off a nice strip of flesh

Fell on a nail, it went deep into my hand

Never had stitches or broke a bone though.

Written By: Marian on 10/17/07 at 12:42 pm

When I was five and I tried to shave my legs. I ended up pulling off a nice strip of flesh

Fell on a nail, it went deep into my hand

Never had stitches or broke a bone though.

You had hairy legs when you were 5?????Great argument for not having hormones in our meat if i ever saw one! :P

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/17/07 at 1:26 pm

A lot of broken bones...

My arm when i was a kid,dad gave the "felt from the bike" excuse i think.

My leg when i was 17,it was Carnaval day,most important event of the year and i was representing my samba school at the big parade,i put my foot wrong and bam felt on the floor and my knee just bent the wrong way,it was the most pain i ever experienced and to top it all my costume got ripped and i was naked from the waist down :-[

Broke 3 fingers too,one trying to stop a brawl,another got smashed in a car door and the other one i've punched a wall,it teach me to control my bad temper :-\\

Oh and i had a lot of sprained ankles from dancing too,no biggie...i'm tough!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/07 at 2:12 pm

Hmmm, let me think long and hard here..

When I was really young, maybe about 5 years old, I was outside playing and stepped on a huge splinter (must've been a weed or something like that) I had to have my mom get a tweezer to get it out. I never went on grass/wood deck barefoot again after that.

When I was 7 years old, I was roller skating at the rink and a girl (whom I still know to this day) was doing a manuever called the Camel (where they swing their leg in circles across the rink. Well, I wasn't paying attention to her and began racing my other skate buddy across the rink. Well, the swinging leg girl and I collided. It knocked out a tooth. I was taken to the back of the snack bar to stop the bleeding. I was swollen. I then went to the dentist for an emergency visit and got the tooth officialy pulled out - it was just dangling.

One other time, I was playing with a small basketball with my mom. I think it was fly ball we were playing. Well, I caught the ball the wrong way and it caused a bad sprain in my middle finger. Funny thing is, my mom was playing with one of my friends a few days later, and the same thing happened to her.

Okay, and I think the last one I can remember was ice skating last January. I slipped and fell very hard on my knee. I had a terrible bruise for a few weeks. Just a month prior, I was in Reno walking across the street, and I slipped on the "black" ice and fell right on my butt. It hurt, but I tried to not think about it.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/07 at 3:17 pm

I accidently kicked my foot on a garbage can and broke a bone.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/17/07 at 7:51 pm

Sprained my right ankle for being too clumsy.  :-[

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/18/07 at 1:20 am

wow, I never realized how interesting it is too read through people's painful experiences.

I have a 2 inch long, 1/2 inch wide scar on top of my right hand near the base of my thumb that was the result of hot melted lead. it was probably around 1972. me & my friend got a job making lead sinkers used for fishing at a sporting goods store. We had a big outdoor kiln or pot that was fired up and it had to get really hot to melt the bricks of lead and once it was hot enough & melted, you never put in cold lead or it will splash up and that's what happened. a splash of it landed on my hand. It immediately solidified and in agony, I peeled it off. it was a 2nd degree burn at least. it took a while to heal & now I too have a scar that has a story like most of you.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/07 at 7:09 am

When I was 3,I fell down the stairs accidently in 1977 and broke my clavicle. :(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 5:32 am

I'm slightly queasy from reading this thread.  ;D  A nurse I'll never be.

Let's see...I was a clumsy kid.

When I was about 6 yrs old, I stepped barefoot on some hot charcoal briquettes that my mom had dumped out on the ground after we had had a nice picnic out.  Now 32 years later, I wonder if I was just trying to emulate these guys...

http://home.intekom.com/southafricanhistoryonline/pages/classroom/pages/projects/grade4/lesson7/graphics/firewalking.jpg

Then when I was about 10, my friends and I went sled riding down this VERY steep street in our city, luckily I was not hit by a car, but what did happen was as I was walking back up the sidewalk of this street, I slipped on some ice, and the gum of my upper...top teeth was sliced off and I went to the dr. and they finished cutting it off. 

When I was about 12, I was riding my bike down the big hill/street and was going pretty fast when I wiped out on my bike.  Got a gash in my knee (left a scar) and my top teeth bit thru my bottom lip which left a scar underneath my bottom lip and I also have scar tissue in my lip (luckily now having big lips is considered somewhat sexy...yeah...that was the plan all along.)  ;D

I've lost various toenails and fingernails over the past couple years thru sheer clumsiness.

When I was in sixth grade, the last day of school, my friend and I were waiting for the school bus to come pick us up to take us home.  I had brought my Queen (The game) album to school that day and we were dancing.  My friend grabbed my hands and started swinging us 'round and 'round, however she neglected to tell me that she was gonna let go of my hands.  So when she did, I slammed face-first into the school desk and broke off my top two front teeth (not completely - but at an angle).  I'm not sure why we never went to the dentist to have it fixed but I have learned how to smile so that my chipped teeth don't show in the pictures.

All in all, I'm lucky nothing especially serious has happened to me other then having emergency gallbladder surgery a year ago.

I think I keep my guardian angel busy though.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/20/07 at 6:29 am

Well,It wasn't an injury but I was I the shower and the cold water turned a blazing hot and I wound up having 2nd degree burns on my back. :(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/21/07 at 1:37 pm

The worst physical injury I ever had was when I broke my foot...

I was 8 years old and living in Northern California with my family, and my brother had wanted me to come with him to try something that the kids called 'grass sliding' (basically, we took a large piece of cardboard, laid it flat on a hill of dry grass, then jumped on and went for a ride)...

So down the hill we went, my brother in the back and me in the front...rolling down this path of dried eucalyptus seeds (which essentially works like wheels beneath a piece of cardboard!)...when all of a sudden my brother jumps off and I go sailing over this embankment and onto the street below!  :o

Fortunately for me, there was this nice lady who happened along and saw me injured in the road...and a short time later my brother met us and the woman carried me to a house nearby where she saw a parked police car...

The policeman took me and my brother home and from there my parents took me to the hospital, where it was confirmed that I had a broken foot...

To this day, my brother insists that he told me that I was supposed to jump off...but he never did!  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...