inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WE QUIT!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/07 at 12:32 pm

I'm sure some of you are aware that the last month or so I have been very agitated and on edge. Some of you know why and for everyone else I told you that I will tell you why-which I am doing now.

About a month ago, Carlos & I went on Chantix to try to quit smoking. For Carlos it worked great-for me, not so great. I was (like I said) agitated, on edge, bouncing off the walls and basically ready to gnaw the legs off of the furniture. I thought I was having a "nicotine fit". I  finally realized that that I was having a reaction to the Chantix. I decided to go off of it. Carlos was also having a reaction to the Chantix but different from mine. His was mainly with his stomach. He decided to go off of it, too-after I did. So, we have been off of the Chantix since last week (Friday for me & Saturday for Carlos) and we are both smoke-free. My last cig was on Oct. 5th & Carlos' was Oct. 1st.

I didn't want to say anything earlier in case it "didn't take". We are still not out of the woods yet. We were supposed to be on the Chantix for at least 2 months but only lasted maybe a month. For those who are thinking about quitting and want to know about Chantix, even though I had complications, I would still recommend it. Why? I don't think I could have stopped if it wasn't for that. So it did help with the initial stop. But, now I have to find other "methods". I have been on a M&M diet. Whenever I want a cig, I start eating M&Ms. I also find a really cool website.

http://vt.quitnet.com/qn_gizmo.jtml?q_feature=30

Their message board isn't as cool as ours is here but it is nice to converse with other people who are going through the same thing and to have that support. Yeah, I still feel like I am bouncing off the walls and ready to gnaw the legs off of the furniture but it seems to ease up every day now.

Cat

Subject: Re: WE QUIT!!!!

Written By: Marian on 10/17/07 at 12:40 pm

Hey did you see on America's next top model the evils of smoking shoot?Tyra banks really hates smoking--her grandmother died of lung cancer at the age of 52.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/07 at 12:41 pm

Cat!! I am so proud of you guys! This is not an easy feat.....but I am so glad that you guys are doing so well. Keep up the GREAT work! :)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/17/07 at 12:47 pm

Awesome, Cat and Carlos! Keep up the good work.  8)

Ant

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/07 at 12:50 pm

I congratulate both of you on beating this very difficult addiction. It works different for everybody and it seems since you have first, the support of your husband, and secondly family and friends - and board members - hopefully this will be successful for the long term. I see you have the determination to do it :0)  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/07 at 1:02 pm

An ex-work colleague of mine had quit smoking, but as soon as he did quit, his job got busier. Thus giving him what would had been less time for him to smoke. It could not have worked out better for him.

Written By: Jessica on 10/17/07 at 1:17 pm

I'm proud of you guys! :)

If you're not adverse to gum, that usually works when quitting an addiction. I know it helps when I want to eat something. :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/17/07 at 1:18 pm

Quiting is not an easy thing.  Congrats and  karma :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/07 at 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone. I just feel like I have been in a fog for the last several weeks. I'm hoping that will go away. It is nice to have Carlos here to lean on. Of course I'm more vocal about it than he is. "I want..." "I'm feeling..." where he doesn't say anything unless I ask him how he is feeling. But, we seem to be having more physical withdrawal symptoms-like back aches. Last night we took turns giving each other a back rub. Hopefully, those pains will go away soon.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/07 at 1:32 pm

Well done and keep it up!

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/17/07 at 1:36 pm

Stay strong,you're going to make it!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/17/07 at 2:08 pm

Thank you all for your support.  Your encouraging words don't ease the cravings, but they certainly help cement the resolve.  I know we can do this, and I'm convinced that we need to.  So, thanks again one and all.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/07 at 3:20 pm

That's great Cat.Did it take a lot of willpower? :)

Written By: Paul on 10/17/07 at 3:23 pm

Congratulations to you both with your attempt to kick the evil weed...well done and keep it up!  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 10/17/07 at 3:56 pm

Congrats Cat and Carlos. :)

Written By: nally on 10/17/07 at 4:12 pm

Congratulations!!! :)

Karma + 1 to both of you!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/17/07 at 4:33 pm

Well done, Cat and Carlos! 

Your lungs will thank you for it!!  ;)

Written By: MLB on 10/17/07 at 5:34 pm

8) Mega cheers to both of you for doing this.  Hope you have continued success into the new year!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/17/07 at 5:42 pm

Congratulations Cat and Carlos!  That is such an awesome accomplishment and I can't even imagine struggling through it and continuing to.  I'm very sorry to hear about the side effects of the medicine, but am glad that you figured out the problem.

Well done!   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wav.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/07 at 6:47 pm

so glad I never started... good luck to both of you, I know several people who have tried to kick the habit over the years to no avail.

Written By: statsqueen on 10/17/07 at 6:56 pm

Congratulations Cat (and Carlos, too, of course)!

I'm so proud of you both.  Glad you have each other to lean on.  It helps to have someone going through it with you so they know how it feels.  I'm so glad you are doing this for your health, too.  I would hate to have either of you sounding like my mother!!!!

Glad you got off the medicine before it did anything else to you.

Keep up the great work.  Karma to you both!

Amy

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/17/07 at 6:58 pm

You two will make it.

The amount of willpower it takes is evident in both of you.

Should either of you need someone to vent to, consider me available.

Keep up the good fight, mi amigos.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/17/07 at 7:44 pm

Best of luck and best wishes to Cat and Carlos! Stay strong!

Written By: karen on 10/17/07 at 7:46 pm

Best of luck to you both.  It's sounds like you might be through the worst of it but you will still need to stay strong.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/17/07 at 8:24 pm

I'm so happy to hear that you've quit smoking.  I know this is not easy as I was a smoker for 15 years who thought I could not live without a cigarette.  I quit cold turkey 8 years ago and have not smoked since! 

One of the reasons I found giving up smoking to be so tough is because I used it as a reward.  For example:  "I'll go through this entire stack of work and then have a cigarette" or "When I finish cleaning the bathroom, I'll relax with a cigarette".  The best advice I can give you is to redirect your thinking to keep yourself busy. 

Keep on going.  If you slip up, just keep on going. 

Also, my mother was hypnotized to quit and she has not gone back for about 15 years.  The Green seminars are wonderful and have a lifetime guarantee.

Best of luck to you both.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/07 at 8:27 pm

THAT'S FANTASTIC! 

Written By: NbC on 10/17/07 at 8:50 pm

Congratulations to both of you!!!!

My Dad was a chain smoker for most of his life.  A couple years ago he had to be hospitalized because of what the smoking did to his lungs.  It took him almost losing his life to finally break the habit.  My Dad, Mom and brother were all smokers but now our family is totally smoke free.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/17/07 at 11:51 pm

That is great Cat and Carlos and congrats for staying smoke-free since the 5th. keep up the good work, and lot's of support here from everyone, but you know this. 
I quit in 1979 after smoking for about 10 years and was truly a hard thing to do, but I did it. You'll see days of smoke-free living turn into weeks, weeks into months, hopefully months to years and then your lungs get all clear of smokey junk and you know you've done something really admirable for the both of you. karma for you both  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/07 at 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Today is one more day being smoke-free. One day at a time.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/18/07 at 1:29 pm

Thanks again to all of you, but it really is easy, I've done it many times  ;)  Seriously though, we're doing ok.  Thanks for the support.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/07 at 1:54 pm

Do you have cravings sometimes? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/07 at 2:05 pm

Do you have cravings sometimes? ???

We have cravings ALL THE TIME!!!

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/19/07 at 5:01 pm

I have heard that chewing gum helps.

I have also heard that having something in your mouth helps (which could prove interesting).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/07 at 5:06 pm

I have heard that chewing gum helps.

I have a problem with chewing gum because of a jaw problem. But I have been on an M&M diet.

I have also heard that having something in your mouth helps (which could prove interesting).

Um... :-X

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/19/07 at 6:53 pm

Keep up the good work. 

I know it's not eay, I've tried many times.  :(

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/20/07 at 12:13 am

We have cravings ALL THE TIME!!!

Cat
I don't know if this would hurt or help but when I was quitting, i used to burn incense or candles.  I think I just needed to know something was smoking in the house!  Oddly enough, this did not make me miss smoking.  It may have been a way to trick my brain as though I already had a cigarette burning in an ashtray or something; I really don't know. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/20/07 at 5:25 am

If you ever saw the series "Kojak", with Telly Savalas, Kojak always sucked on lollipops, to keep from smoking.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/07 at 11:35 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm doing much better today. Haven't taken out the M&Ms-YET!!!

Cat

Written By: Marian on 10/20/07 at 2:09 pm

Congratulations to both of you!!!!

My Dad was a chain smoker for most of his life.  A couple years ago he had to be hospitalized because of what the smoking did to his lungs.  It took him almost losing his life to finally break the habit.   My Dad, Mom and brother were all smokers but now our family is totally smoke free.   :)
Sometimes it's the smoking itself that causes a person to lose their life.i've seen several articles about nursing homes being burnt down because some disabled old person had to have his smokes in there.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/22/07 at 9:26 am

Congrats to both of you :)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/07 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm doing much better today. Haven't taken out the M&Ms-YET!!!

Cat

So you have chocolate cravings?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/22/07 at 3:01 pm

Good to see all the advice here. Cat and Carlos - I sure hope you guys make it out of the woods - I plopped down $260 at the pharmacy an hour ago for Nicole and I for Chantix. She got her scrip last week -I got mine today.

...I noticed the 'booster' scrip (1 month supply) has 5 refills on it! I hope it doesn't take that long, 'cause I don't have 1300$ to fork out right now.

Have you gained any weight since quitting?

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/07 at 3:21 pm

Good to see all the advice here. Cat and Carlos - I sure hope you guys make it out of the woods - I plopped down $260 at the pharmacy an hour ago for Nicole and I for Chantix. She got her scrip last week -I got mine today.

...I noticed the 'booster' scrip (1 month supply) has 5 refills on it! I hope it doesn't take that long, 'cause I don't have 1300$ to fork out right now.

Ant

Yeah, I have gained about 10 lbs so far-but I'm not too worried about it-since I was a bit underweight and wasn't worried about eating everything in sight. Now, I'm going to start watching it. Of course I have been off of the Chantix for about a week and a half so I have been having A LOT of cravings and thus stuffing my face A LOT.

Yeah, $1300 may seem like a lot of $$$$ but, how much are you paying for cigarettes?

You should check out the site I posted in my first post on this thread. It may help-it may not. It did answer a lot of my questions. (Of course that site turned the word "Quit" from a verb to a noun.  :D ;D ;D ). Good luck to you and to Nicole. Just know that you are not alone.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/22/07 at 6:59 pm

Must.....resist.....chocolate.....

*slaps hand away from candy*

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/22/07 at 7:18 pm

Ant
Good luck to you both!

Written By: Red Ant on 10/22/07 at 7:39 pm

Good luck to you both!

Thanks!
Yeah, $1300 may seem like a lot of $$$$ but, how much are you paying for cigarettes?

You should check out the site I posted in my first post on this thread. It may help-it may not. It did answer a lot of my questions. (Of course that site turned the word "Quit" from a verb to a noun.  :D ;D ;D ). Good luck to you and to Nicole. Just know that you are not alone.

Cat

Between Nicole and I probably close to 200 a month, so Chantix isn't much more... I'm just still slightly pissed that our insurance doesn't cover it.

I'll take a look at the site you mentioned earlier - is that the same support site Chantix provides in the packaging? Regardless, I can use all the help I can get. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I become Captain A-hole when I've tried to quit before. Thanks for the support.

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/07 at 11:42 am

Thanks!
Between Nicole and I probably close to 200 a month, so Chantix isn't much more... I'm just still slightly pissed that our insurance doesn't cover it.

I'll take a look at the site you mentioned earlier - is that the same support site Chantix provides in the packaging? Regardless, I can use all the help I can get. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I become Captain A-hole when I've tried to quit before. Thanks for the support.

Ant

I don't know if it is the same site that Chantix mentions. I found it by accident when I was googling to find answers to my questions. But like this place, there are people from all over the world. I must admit that in the last couple of weeks, I had my claws out once or twice (and Carlos has, too). But, like I said, we are now off of the Chantix so at this point it is like cold turkey for us. I really hope you are able to stay on the Chantix longer than we did. The longer you are able to stay on it, the better it is for you. Let me know how it goes and if you need chat about it, you know where to reach me.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/07 at 5:24 pm

Congratulations to all of you - Cat, Carlos, and Red Ant.  I quit smoking 3 years ago, and even though it was really hard at first, it really does get easier over time.  Now I look back, and I can't believe I ever smoked at all.  You guys can do it! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/07 at 11:10 am

Congratulations to all of you - Cat, Carlos, and Red Ant.  I quit smoking 3 years ago, and even though it was really hard at first, it really does get easier over time.  Now I look back, and I can't believe I ever smoked at all.  You guys can do it! 

How did you do it?

I did quit once before a LONG, LONG time ago for 2 and a half years-then I got drunk one night.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/24/07 at 5:22 pm

How did you do it?

I did quit once before a LONG, LONG time ago for 2 and a half years-then I got drunk one night.  :-[

Cat

I took Wellbutrin, but I think I was also just ready to quit.  I kind of got to the point where it became more of pain to smoke than it was worth - I was always having to go outside, or make people wait for me to smoke, etc.  Every so often I will smoke when I'm drunk, but I always hate it and only have a couple of drags before I realize how dumb I am and put it out! 

Written By: snozberries on 10/24/07 at 6:02 pm

How did you do it?

Cat

I used to smoke a cigarette when I drank but I would never call myself a smoker. I think I was doing it wrong whenever I tried  ;D. The one time I did it right I got so sick (I was throwing up in the bushes outside the club and then I was sitting in the bed of a pickup continuing to throw up over the side of it)  That was the last time I ever smoked- sadly not the last time I got drunk. It took me about a year to realize I needed to give up alcohol too....11 years sober this december  :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/24/07 at 9:32 pm

According to Melissa, I am not a "true smoker".

I only light up a ciggie when my stress levels are beyond maxed.
But, because I don't "inhale", I am what is called a "hot boxer".

Besides, I prefer cigars anyway.
And those, I have only once in a blue moon.

I just don't feel the addicitiveness.
But I know others do.

So, to those who are kicking butt:

-KUDOS!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/05/07 at 11:05 am

It has been a month today since I last had a cigarette. I still don't know if I am out of the woods yet or not because I still want one-BAD!!! But, I thought that I will up-date everyone on the progress. Both of us are still hanging in there.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/07 at 11:11 am

It has been a month today since I last had a cigarette. I still don't know if I am out of the woods yet or not because I still want one-BAD!!! But, I thought that I will up-date everyone on the progress. Both of us are still hanging in there.

Did you completely clean the house from top to bottom?  I can't remember if you said you did or not.  Same goes for the car.  Once you stop smoking, the sense of smell returns and you can smell the tobacco residue and it might be a subtle trigger.  Unless of course you didn't smoke in the house.

You better keep in checking in with progress reports!  If you stop doing that, we'll know you're back to your habit.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/07 at 11:13 am

Cat

keep up the great work, guys. I know it's a hard thing...but you are both doing really well! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/05/07 at 11:24 am

Did you completely clean the house from top to bottom?  I can't remember if you said you did or not.  Same goes for the car.  Once you stop smoking, the sense of smell returns and you can smell the tobacco residue and it might be a subtle trigger.  Unless of course you didn't smoke in the house.

You better keep in checking in with progress reports!  If you stop doing that, we'll know you're back to your habit.

We haven't cleaned the house-YET!!! In fact, we had to let our cleaning service go and in the process of looking for a new one-but that is another story. We have been meaning to paint the kitchen for so long now-the walls are kind of a reddish tinge-yeah, I know, I know-kind of yucky. Actually, the entire house needs to be painted. We haven't decided whether we want to do the painting ourselves or hire someone to do it for us.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/07 at 11:30 am

We haven't cleaned the house-YET!!! In fact, we had to let our cleaning service go and in the process of looking for a new one-but that is another story. We have been meaning to paint the kitchen for so long now-the walls are kind of a reddish tinge-yeah, I know, I know-kind of yucky. Actually, the entire house needs to be painted. We haven't decided whether we want to do the painting ourselves or hire someone to do it for us.

Cat

If you do decide to do it yourself and you were smoking in the house before you quit, prepare to be disgusted at the color of the water when you wipe the walls down before painting.  They might look a little off color now, but the residue from the smoke is unbelievable.  My brother smokes, and I had to clean two different bedrooms after he'd been in them.  I ended up gutting the second one, but the first one I washed first... it was just disgusting.

It's also a helpful reminder as you do it, that you were doing something similar to your lungs... >grin<

I've got a friend who quits/restarts frequently.  After redecorating his last home, he vowed never to smoke inside again after seeing the mess it made of his house.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/05/07 at 12:06 pm

If you do decide to do it yourself and you were smoking in the house before you quit, prepare to be disgusted at the color of the water when you wipe the walls down before painting.  They might look a little off color now, but the residue from the smoke is unbelievable.  My brother smokes, and I had to clean two different bedrooms after he'd been in them.  I ended up gutting the second one, but the first one I washed first... it was just disgusting.

It's also a helpful reminder as you do it, that you were doing something similar to your lungs... >grin<

I've got a friend who quits/restarts frequently.  After redecorating his last home, he vowed never to smoke inside again after seeing the mess it made of his house.

Yeah, I'm well aware. I have cleaned my windows/mirrors so I know how bad it can get.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/17/07 at 1:07 pm

Someone said in another thread that I haven't given an up-date in awhile so here it is:

Yes, both of us STILL haven't had a cig.  However, we both stepped on the scale last night.  :o :o :o  We have two functions coming up in Dec. I tried on the outfits I have planned to wear for both of them and they do not fit.  :\'( :\'(  So, I now have a few weeks to lose some of the weight I have gained in the last month.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/17/07 at 1:12 pm

way to go with the NO-SMOKING Cat and Carlos.  keep up the good work 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/17/07 at 1:28 pm

way to go with the NO-SMOKING Cat and Carlos.  keep up the good work 

Thanks.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 11:46 pm

thanks for the update Cat... just trying to keep you honest  ;)... I know its hard to keep the weight down but I saw Dr Ian on the View last week... you might recognize him from Celeb Fit Club and he said better overweight than being smoker... of course he probably never had to fit into a dress for a party... good luck tho... that's the fight I am losing right now

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/07 at 12:47 pm

thanks for the update Cat... just trying to keep you honest  ;)... I know its hard to keep the weight down but I saw Dr Ian on the View last week... you might recognize him from Celeb Fit Club and he said better overweight than being smoker... of course he probably never had to fit into a dress for a party... good luck tho... that's the fight I am losing right now

It shouldn't be too hard to drop a few pounds-which is really all I need to do. I would say about 5 lbs should do it to fit into at least 1 of the dresses. The other, well, I may have to lose a bit more but not too much more. I will just skip a couple of breakfasts, or lunches (or maybe skip that 4th meal I have been having after dinner.  :-[ )

Cat

Written By: Gis on 11/19/07 at 2:33 pm

It shouldn't be too hard to drop a few pounds-which is really all I need to do. I would say about 5 lbs should do it to fit into at least 1 of the dresses. The other, well, I may have to lose a bit more but not too much more. I will just skip a couple of breakfasts, or lunches (or maybe skip that 4th meal I have been having after dinner.  :-[ )

Cat
Congrats on the no smoking!There really no better feeling than being an ex-smoker.  ;D

However no skipping breakfast!! (stern finger wag) breakfast is the most important meal of the day. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/07 at 4:31 pm

Congrats on the no smoking!There really no better feeling than being an ex-smoker.  ;D

However no skipping breakfast!! (stern finger wag) breakfast is the most important meal of the day. 

It depends on which breakfast you are talking about.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/19/07 at 8:42 pm

It depends on which breakfast you are talking about.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

LOL

Cat

need help? I'd be happy to polish off that 4th meal for you...I have given up on the diet the minute I said the word I started eating worse than before I made that decision... maybe after the holidays What I said MAYBE... ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/19/07 at 10:50 pm

Congrads!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/07 at 1:39 pm

LOL

need help? I'd be happy to polish off that 4th meal for you...I have given up on the diet the minute I said the word I started eating worse than before I made that decision... maybe after the holidays What I said MAYBE... ;)

Both Carlos & I have been on a cereal kick. It seems like every night after dinner, we end up with a bowl a cereal. Right now for me it is Cheerios. Carlos doesn't have a specific on-any cereal will do-and sometimes he will combine a couple of flavors.  I guess there are worse things to eat-and I usually have a banana in it.

Congrads!

Thanks

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/07 at 2:21 pm

I had to do this at a house we were remodeling. I had to use hot water and sponges to clean the walls of the smoke residue and it stunk horribly. My brother and I were doing this work together and we couldn't believe the residue coming off the sponges on the walls. Yuck!

Written By: Howard on 11/20/07 at 2:30 pm

Have you tried Nicotine Gum?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/07 at 2:40 pm

Have you tried Nicotine Gum?  ???

Nope.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/20/07 at 3:15 pm

Candy cigarettes?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/07 at 5:47 pm

Candy cigarettes?  ???

if you get the kind that was like chalk (with the red tip) you can scrape the side of it a little so that when you "puff" you will also stir the dust creating "smoke"

Funny that they used to market pro smoking candy to kids... guess they were preparing us.. I used to buy the pack of gum cigarettes that came in box like real cigarettes then I would roll the box up in my tshirt sleeve cuz I thought the look was cool.  (okay it was cool for guys in the 50s but I was a total tomboy who idoiized greasers! My bike was my motorcycle too  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/07 at 3:52 am

Has chocolate been made more available in your area?

Written By: Howard on 11/21/07 at 6:48 am

if you get the kind that was like chalk (with the red tip) you can scrape the side of it a little so that when you "puff" you will also stir the dust creating "smoke"

Funny that they used to market pro smoking candy to kids... guess they were preparing us.. I used to buy the pack of gum cigarettes that came in box like real cigarettes then I would roll the box up in my tshirt sleeve cuz I thought the look was cool.  (okay it was cool for guys in the 50s but I was a total tomboy who idoiized greasers! My bike was my motorcycle too  ;D

No,I was asking Kat if she smokes Candy Cigarettes to get the crave of a real one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 10:57 am

Has chocolate been made more available in your area?

Tis the season that I usually stock up on my chocolate oranges (the only time of year I can find them).

No,I was asking Kat if she smokes Candy Cigarettes to get the crave of a real one.

Howard, Howard, Howard. How many times do I have to tell you my name is Cat not Kat. With a "C" not a "K".

And to answer your question, no. I haven't seen candy cigarettes in many, many, moons. I don't think they still make them.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 12:17 pm

Yeah- I got that Howard I was just following you telling Cat  ;) that if she could find the chalk ones she could try to create a smoke effect to make it more real... then as usual I went off on a tangent

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/07 at 6:56 pm

Update: Today is 2 months without a cigarette. Still want one.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/05/07 at 7:06 pm

Congrats on the 2 month mark! :)

Written By: TigerMystic on 12/05/07 at 7:09 pm

You may still want one, but keep on keepin' on!  :)

http://i11.tinypic.com/6x74pab.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/07 at 7:11 pm

Thanks.

Cat

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/05/07 at 7:15 pm

I have a question for you Cat. How long did you and Carlos smoke?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/07 at 7:18 pm

I have a question for you Cat. How long did you and Carlos smoke?

I started when I was 12.  :o :o :o :-[  But, I quit for 2 and a half years-before starting again. So you add it up and it is a VERY LONG time. As for Carlos, I'm not too sure when he started. But, he had been smoking for as long as I have known him which has been about 15 years now.

Cat

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/05/07 at 7:26 pm

I started smoking 18 years ago. I quit when my brother died of cancer back in 1993 and started again in 1995. For the first 2 years I smoked 3 packs a day. Now I am down to 1 pack in 24 hours. When a Dr. asks me how long I have smoked I tell them and they tell me not to even count the time when I had quit because it was less then 10 years.
In the past I have tried to quit, but I don't get too far before I can't handle it anymore.
So I quit trying to quit.
I tell everyone that the next time I wind up in the hospital for more then 2 days, that is when I will quit. Back in 2001 I spent a week in the hospital from pneumonia. Chances are before too long it will happen again.

Written By: ninny on 12/05/07 at 10:37 pm

congratulations for both of you,my husband smoked from the ages of 16-34,till he finally quit because he was worried about the kids and second hand smoke.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/05/07 at 10:41 pm

That was why I started smoking outside.
I am proud of you guys that you have been able to kick it. I know it is not an easy feat, from my own experiences, as you can see.

Written By: snozberries on 12/05/07 at 10:48 pm

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/lgenest/thumbsup.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/07 at 1:29 am

Way to go Cat  :)

I'm sure it's tough and it's going to be difficult at times, but you can make it all the way. Carlos too.

Diane just told me this evening of this lady she knows has smoked for 18 years, had a funny cough, went in and they see something on her lung. very scary. the trippy thing is some people can smoke all their life and not get cancer, some don't smoke and get it. we all just need to try to live as healthy as we can.  you got mucho support here!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/07 at 5:03 am

How is the sweet (candy) craving getting on?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/08 at 2:49 pm

3 month anniversary.  I would be lying if I said I didn't want one-I do VERY much so. For Christmas, we saw my youngest step-daughter who does smoke-as well as her boyfriend. As they were puffing away, I just inhaled the second hand smoke which to me, smelled great (I know, call me weird)-but I did not fire one up myself.

I think my weight has tapered off. I don't seem to be gaining anymore. Now, to lose what I did gain. I'm not eating as much of the M&Ms or other sweets (except for the stuff that I got in a package from my "secret Santa"  ;) ). I seem to be on a Cheerios kick but isn't bad when you think about it. I try not to eat too many bowls of Cheerios.

Well, that is the latest.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/08 at 2:53 pm

3 month anniversary.  I would be lying if I said I didn't want one-I do VERY much so. For Christmas, we saw my youngest step-daughter who does smoke-as well as her boyfriend. As they were puffing away, I just inhaled the second hand smoke which to me, smelled great (I know, call me weird)-but I did not fire one up myself.

I think my weight has tapered off. I don't seem to be gaining anymore. Now, to lose what I did gain. I'm not eating as much of the M&Ms or other sweets (except for the stuff that I got in a package from my "secret Santa"  ;) ). I seem to be on a Cheerios kick but isn't bad when you think about it. I try not to eat too many bowls of Cheerios.

Well, that is the latest.

Cat

congrats... my mom quit for about a mnth but started up again. Way to stay on course.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/08 at 3:35 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary,keep up the good work.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/08 at 1:57 am

good job guys!! I'm proud of you! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/08 at 6:19 pm

Since some people have requested updates, I just realize that we both passed Day 100!  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/08 at 11:19 pm

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff307/highriselacey/congrats.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/15/08 at 1:30 am

well done Cat & Carlos.  you've probably got thru the hardest part and set a good foundation because with some things, it's said the first 90 days are the toughest. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/08 at 2:33 am

Since some people have requested updates, I just realize that we both passed Day 100!  :o :o :o

Cat
Well done.

But I bet the candy intake has gone up.

Written By: KKay on 01/15/08 at 8:30 am

so here are some of my 'quit smoking' issues.

1.  when you're with really boring people (all the time, for me) it's something that separates you from them.
2.    it's really hard and things are so complicated right now that I don't need another thing to worry about.
3.  i just don't want to.

BUT
1. it's expensive
2. I get a cough every few months.

so.....ugh. just dont want to. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused3.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/08 at 11:31 am

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff307/highriselacey/congrats.gif

Thanks.

well done Cat & Carlos.  you've probably got thru the hardest part and set a good foundation because with some things, it's said the first 90 days are the toughest. 

Thanks. I hope you are right. I hope it does get easier from here.

Well done.

But I bet the candy intake has gone up.

Thanks. Actually, not really. But the Cheerios intake has gone up.  :D ;D ;D

so here are some of my 'quit smoking' issues.

1.  when you're with really boring people (all the time, for me) it's something that separates you from them.
2.    it's really hard and things are so complicated right now that I don't need another thing to worry about.
3.  i just don't want to.

BUT
1. it's expensive
2. I get a cough every few months.

so.....ugh. just dont want to. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused3.gif

I hear ya. In fact, I really didn't want to quit either. Truth be known, I really enjoyed smoking-that is probably why I miss it so much. I can blame it on Carlos-he talked me into it. But, he said that I was the one who brought it up.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/08 at 11:33 am

Thanks. Actually, not really. But the Cheerios intake has gone up.  :D ;D ;D

Cat
I think Cheerios are a more healthier option.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/08 at 11:44 am

I think Cheerios are a more healthier option.

That's what I keep telling myself. I have a bowl in the morning and another one after dinner. My weight is still up. I have only a few more months to lose what I have gained. We are going to Puerto Rico in April and I have to be able to fit into my swim suit.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/08 at 11:53 am

That's what I keep telling myself. I have a bowl in the morning and another one after dinner. My weight is still up. I have only a few more months to lose what I have gained. We are going to Puerto Rico in April and I have to be able to fit into my swim suit.

Cat
When you have a bowl of cheerios, why not have half a bowl, and then it will be less intake?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/08 at 12:06 pm

When you have a bowl of cheerios, why not have half a bowl, and then it will be less intake?

They are small bowls to begin with (but then I fill them up a few times). I know, I know. Excuses, excuses. Like I said, I have a bowl in the morning-but I don't eat lunch. Then I eat dinner and have another bowl after dinner. So, in a way, that is 3 meals a day-just not spaced out like it should be. I also don't think it is much in terms of calorie intake. I got to figure something out. But, I don't think my weight is going up-it seems to have leveled off-but it is not going down.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/08 at 12:17 pm

They are small bowls to begin with (but then I fill them up a few times). I know, I know. Excuses, excuses. Like I said, I have a bowl in the morning-but I don't eat lunch. Then I eat dinner and have another bowl after dinner. So, in a way, that is 3 meals a day-just not spaced out like it should be. I also don't think it is much in terms of calorie intake. I got to figure something out. But, I don't think my weight is going up-it seems to have leveled off-but it is not going down.  :-\\

Cat
Pour less milk in the bowl?

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/08 at 12:23 pm

Pour less milk in the bowl?

I was going to say don't use milk....if you make yourself eat them one at a time (like Popcorn) then it'll take longer to finish a bowl...so less intake probably.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/08 at 12:35 pm

I was going to say don't use milk....if you make yourself eat them one at a time (like Popcorn) then it'll take longer to finish a bowl...so less intake probably.
...and their do not go soggy.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/08 at 12:35 pm

I do use 1% milk and sometimes in the morning I put a banana in it. Like I said, on the surface it doesn't seem like that much. I just feel that the Cheerios fill me up-where other things don't. Like I said, there are worse things to be "addicted" to.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/08 at 1:05 pm

I do use 1% milk and sometimes in the morning I put a banana in it. Like I said, on the surface it doesn't seem like that much. I just feel that the Cheerios fill me up-where other things don't. Like I said, there are worse things to be "addicted" to.

Cat

this is true... I know I owe my not-so-girlish figure to my Mountain Dew addicton.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 8:19 am

How many days has it been now?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/08 at 11:15 am

How many days has it been now?

According to Quitnet:

Your Quit Date is:  10/5/2007 7:00:00 PM
Time Smoke-Free: 106 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 52 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 3202
Lifetime Saved:  24 days, 11 hours
Money Saved: $561.75

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 11:17 am

According to Quitnet:

Your Quit Date is:   10/5/2007 7:00:00 PM

Cat
That is a good point there, you (or both of you) are saving money, but it mus be more than that?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/08 at 11:26 am

That is a good point there, you (or both of you) are saving money, but it mus be more than that?

I don't know how they figure it out. I plugged in my quit date and how much I usually smoked.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 11:28 am

I don't know how they figure it out. I plugged in my quit date and how much I usually smoked.

Cat
In the UK, the price of a packet of 20 cigarettes can be £3 to £4, may be more, but how much is that in $?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/08 at 11:43 am

In the UK, the price of a packet of 20 cigarettes can be £3 to £4, may be more, but how much is that in $?

The $ is about 0.51110 to the £. So I would say $6-8.  Here is about $3-4 a pack-depending on what brand and where you buy it.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 11:50 am

The $ is about 0.51110 to the £. So I would say $6-8.  Here is about $3-4 a pack-depending on what brand and where you buy it.

Cat
The difference in the price is government taxation on cigarettes, it is the same with alcohol.

Written By: Paul on 01/20/08 at 11:51 am

Fantastic!  :D

Keep it up both of you... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 11:51 am

The difference in the price is government taxation on cigarettes, it is the same with alcohol.
I blame Gordon Brown!

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 9:17 pm

According to Quitnet:

Cat

EXCELLENT But the question remains.....

exactly how many

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m125/gilbo444/Cheerios.jpg

does $561.75 buy you?

Written By: KKay on 01/23/08 at 7:11 am

i think after this stint of being ill i just may be done. it's been days and wne i was at my worst i just felt awful as the stuff was having its impact.
yeah, this just may do it. 8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/08 at 12:29 pm

EXCELLENT But the question remains.....

exactly how many

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m125/gilbo444/Cheerios.jpg

does $561.75 buy you?

Hmmmm, good question.

i think after this stint of being ill i just may be done. it's been days and wne i was at my worst i just felt awful as the stuff was having its impact.
yeah, this just may do it. 8-P

It's not easy, but if it is something that you want to do, know that you are not alone. Try Quitnet.com.  They have a whole network of a support system. Even if you are just thinking about quitting-check out that place. You can read how others did it and are coping.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/08 at 2:25 pm

Update: Today is four months. Here are my stats:

Time Smoke-Free: 122 days, 20 hours, 21 minutes and 27 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 3685
Lifetime Saved:  28 days, 3 hours
Money Saved: $645.75

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/05/08 at 3:34 pm

Update: Today is four months. Here are my stats:

Your Quit Date is:   10/5/2007 7:00:00 PM
Time Smoke-Free: 122 days, 20 hours, 21 minutes and 27 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 3685
Lifetime Saved:  28 days, 3 hours
Money Saved: $645.75

Cat
the word awesome comes to mind.  nice going Cat & Carlos. very good news  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/08 at 11:34 am

Today is my 6th month anniversary.

My Stats:
Time Smoke-Free: 182 days, 17 hours, 30 minutes

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 5482
Lifetime Saved:  1 month, 11 days, 21 hours
Money Saved: $960.75

I'm a bit nervous because we are going to be staying with my sister-in-law who smokes. I still want one, I still love the smell of cigarettes and I know playing poker is going to kill me.  :-\\  But, I lasted 6 months-so far.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 04/05/08 at 6:33 pm

i fell off the wagon a few times.  but except for that few 8-10 butts, it's been 4 months.

i'm hating it. 
i really am.
i'm not dedicated to it either.

but...i may as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/08 at 6:36 pm

i fell off the wagon a few times.  but except for that few 8-10 butts, it's been 4 months.

i'm hating it. 
i really am.
i'm not dedicated to it either.

but...i may as well.

Wow, I didn't realize that you quit, too. WTG. But, I know what you mean about hating it. I really miss my cigarettes.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: KKay on 04/05/08 at 6:45 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that you quit, too. WTG. But, I know what you mean about hating it. I really miss my cigarettes.  :-\\

Cat

it's not just a habit but a huge chunk of time out of your day.
now i have to find a way to fill that time and i find when I'm bored is when i really really need to smoke.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/08 at 6:46 pm

it's not just a habit but a huge chunk of time out of your day.
now i have to find a way to fill that time and i find when I'm bored is when i really really need to smoke.

You can always post here.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/08 at 12:39 pm

Congrats to you both... giving up something you love so much is difficult...

if I ever decide to give up Mountain Dew again....it's not gonna happen...

but if I do... I'm coming here for support.

Q

Written By: skittlesking on 04/06/08 at 1:36 pm

Congrats to you both... giving up something you love so much is difficult...

if I ever decide to give up Mountain Dew again....it's not gonna happen...

but if I do... I'm coming here for support.

Q

I know the feeling, Mountain Dew and Pepsi are my achilles heel

Written By: Howard on 04/06/08 at 4:37 pm

My Stats:

I'm a bit nervous because we are going to be staying with my sister-in-law who smokes. I still want one, I still love the smell of cigarettes and I know playing poker is going to kill me.  :-\\  But, I lasted 6 months-so far.

Cat

Congratulations.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/08 at 6:29 am

My Stats:

Cat
Well done, and the money saved accounts for the hoilday.

Written By: Gis on 04/07/08 at 7:47 am

Well done you, sure you can do a poker face without the ciggy just don't start shredding the cards! I found I shredded a lot of beer mats when I gave up, I needed something to do with my hands that wasn't holding a cigerette.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/08 at 3:27 am

Well done you, sure you can do a poker face without the ciggy just don't start shredding the cards! I found I shredded a lot of beer mats when I gave up, I needed something to do with my hands that wasn't holding a cigerette.  ;D
There is always typing on a keypad?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/08 at 5:25 pm

Month #7.

My Stats:
Time Smoke-Free: 212 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes and 23 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 6389
Lifetime Saved:  1 month, 18 days, 19 hours
Money Saved: $1,118.25

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/08 at 5:29 pm

Month #7.

My Stats:

Cat
Well done!

Is the money being saved in a cookie jar?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/05/08 at 5:30 pm

Month #7.

My Stats:

Cat
ya gotta be pleased with those fantastic stats. way to go Cat!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/08 at 5:52 pm

Well done!

Is the money being saved in a cookie jar?

Not really. The $$$$ is already spent-on a trip to Puerto Rico, on a new bathroom floor, on a new paint job in the kitchen, etc. etc. Those stats are from the Quitnet.

ya gotta be pleased with those fantastic stats. way to go Cat!

Thanks. I'm surprised I made it this far-but to be honest, I still want one.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/05/08 at 5:54 pm

Way to go, Cat! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/08 at 5:55 pm

Not really. The $$$$ is already spent-on a trip to Puerto Rico, on a new bathroom floor, on a new paint job in the kitchen, etc. etc. Those stats are from the Quitnet.

Cat
True, if you do not mind me saying, it is best to enjoy the money when you can.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/08 at 6:15 pm

True, if you do not mind me saying, it is best to enjoy the money when you can.

I LOVE to spend money.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/06/08 at 12:37 am

I LOVE to spend money.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I've been spending LOTS of money myself over the past few years...now I need to get a job to earn back some of that money!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/08 at 7:27 am

Cat, how has the quitting getting on?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/08 at 4:24 pm

Cat, how has the quitting getting on?

These are my stats as of today:

My Stats:
Time Smoke-Free: 231 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 25 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 6958
Lifetime Saved:  1 month, 23 days, 3 hours
Money Saved: $1,218.00

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 2:18 am

My Stats:

Cat
Excellent news, well done, + k.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/08 at 3:49 am

My Stats:

Cat
that's awesome Cat.  way to keep up the good work and those stats are hopefully a good motivation tool to keep you encouraged.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/08 at 2:22 pm

Excellent news, well done, + k.

Thanks-I have to wait to reciprocate.

that's awesome Cat.  way to keep up the good work and those stats are hopefully a good motivation tool to keep you encouraged.

Thanks-but I have to admit I still want one-A LOT!!!!  :-\\

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/08 at 2:34 pm

I forgot to mention that today. someone we haven't seen in months came up to us and asked us if we had a cig he could bum. When we told him that we quit, he called us a bunch of names-jokingly of course. This was a guy who was supposed to have quit a couple of years ago but we have caught him sneaking one or two. He told us he was down to about 2 or 3 a day.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 5:48 pm

I forgot to mention that today. someone we haven't seen in months came up to us and asked us if we had a cig he could bum. When we told him that we quit, he called us a bunch of names-jokingly of course. This was a guy who was supposed to have quit a couple of years ago but we have caught him sneaking one or two. He told us he was down to about 2 or 3 a day.

Cat
The cheek of it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/08 at 1:36 am

If you wish to know that today May 31st is World No Tobacco Day

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/08 at 11:45 am

If you wish to know that today May 31st is World No Tobacco Day

I did not know that. It will be for me but I can't say the same for Carlos. He is still smoking his pipe.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/08 at 12:26 pm

I did not know that. It will be for me but I can't say the same for Carlos. He is still smoking his pipe.

Cat
...gently take his pipe away and hide it...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/08 at 12:48 pm

...gently take his pipe away and hide it...

Naaa. If I do that, he may take something that I enjoy away.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/08 at 5:22 pm

Naaa. If I do that, he may take something that I enjoy away.

Cat
It is best not too then.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/17/08 at 1:02 pm

Here are my latest stats:

My Stats:
Time Smoke-Free: 255 days, 19 hours, 46 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 7674
Lifetime Saved:  1 month, 28 days, 14 hours
Money Saved: $1,344.00

Ok, ok, I'm bragging at this point.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/08 at 5:41 pm

My Stats:

Cat

You have every right to brag! What an amazing accomplishment.  Hey there are lots of people out there who give up quitting more than they give smoking...  ;D

I sure hope that last sentence made sense.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/08 at 1:31 pm

9 month anniversary.

My Stats:
Time Smoke-Free: 273 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes and 31 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 8214
Lifetime Saved:  2 months, 2 days, 17 hours
Money Saved: $1,438.50

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/05/08 at 1:59 pm

That's awesome!!! Keep going.  I promise, it does get easier!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/08 at 1:07 pm

Here it is, the year mark. I can't believe it.

My Stats: 
Time Smoke-Free: 365 days, 19 hours, 40 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 10974
Lifetime Saved:  2 months, 23 days, 19 hours
Money Saved: $1,921.50

Check this out:

http://vt.quitnet.com/community/yellowpages/qn_anniversaries.jtml?367891

(Go half way down the page).

Yes, I am bragging-so sue me. And yes, I STILL want a cig-I will be lying if I said I didn't want one.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/05/08 at 1:19 pm

Congratulations Cat and Carlos!  Job well done!  Keep up the good work.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/05/08 at 1:20 pm

My Stats: 

Check this out:

Yes, I am bragging-so sue me. And yes, I STILL want a cig-I will be lying if I said I didn't want one.

Cat
hey Cat, Congratulations on being cig-free for a whole year. this is a really encouraging post. I'm very happy for you. way to go  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/08 at 1:31 pm

My Stats: 

Check this out:

Cat
I would never realise it would be 10974 cigarettes not smoked.

Written By: snozberries on 10/05/08 at 1:49 pm

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo131/nancyp123/Anniversary2.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/08 at 3:08 pm

Thanks, everyone and karma to all.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/05/08 at 4:45 pm

Congratulations.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/08 at 4:47 pm

My Stats: 

Check this out:

Cat
Well done.

Out of interest, on averagehow long does it take to smoke one cigarette (if you can remember)?

Written By: nally on 10/05/08 at 4:48 pm

My Stats: 

Check this out:

Congratz on being smoke free for a year, Cat and DC. 8) O0

Written By: Howard on 10/05/08 at 4:48 pm

Well done.

Out of interest, on averagehow long does it take to smoke one cigarette (if you can remember)?

I think about an hour.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/08 at 4:56 pm

Well done.

I would say anywhere from 5-10 minutes.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/08 at 4:57 pm

Cat

I think about an hour.
An hour, what kind of cigarettes are you smoking?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/08 at 5:00 pm

Cat
10 minutes at the most...

So 10974 x 10 minutes = 109740 minutes...

I need a calculator now.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/08 at 5:08 pm

Cat

sometimes they take a few puffs then dispose them later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/08 at 5:11 pm

10 minutes at the most...

So 10974 x 10 minutes = 109740 minutes...

I need a calculator now.
109740 minutes = 1829 hours = 76.21 days

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/08 at 5:22 pm

109740 minutes = 1829 hours = 76.21 days

Wow-I didn't realized that I spent so much time smoking-of course I am the poster child of multitasking. I can't tell you about how many cigs I lit up as I was posting.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/08 at 5:23 pm

Wow-I didn't realized that I spent so much time smoking-of course I am the poster child of multitasking. I can't tell you about how many cigs I lit up as I was posting.

Cat
Of course other things were being done while smoking, so that time was not noticed.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/05/08 at 6:16 pm

My Stats:

Cat

You should brag, Great job. Its the hardest thing to do. It feels like you have lost your best friend.
You know I quit June 3 with Chantixx. I only took Chantixx for 2 months because it made me so depressed and
was giving me suicidal ideation's. They were just awful. Everyone kept asking me what was wrong, and I would say nothing.

I couldn't figure out why I felt so sh!tty.. and then all of the sudden it dawned. So I stopped taking the med the depression went away almost overnight. I guess it got through the worse part of withdrawal from cigs ( I smoked for 38 yrs). After I stopped the Chantixx I still crave cigs but usually just push the thought aside or grab some pretzels and diet soda.My Dr told me if I didn't quit that I would not survive for much longer because of my heart. Yep triple bypass surgery and a pacemaker and I still smoked!!! But in June he told me that my new arteries were clogging up again, and I told him I would rather die than have another bypass.  he said keep smoking and you will.
So I stopped, I exercise,have been going to cardiac rehab again, eating healthier, ya know  all the good stuff.

When I was taking the Chantixx I was wondering why was I bothering to do all these healthy things that life sucked and why bother, plus I was really missing my Mom at that point too.

So Huge K U D O S for making it a year to you and Carlos both. You're outta the woods now. I am so very proud of you both!!!

Written By: snozberries on 10/05/08 at 6:19 pm

An hour Howard really  ::) they must give nice long cigarette breaks at Pathmark

Written By: karen on 10/05/08 at 6:23 pm

Way to go Cat and Carlos (though you need to quit the pipe as well)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/08 at 6:26 pm

You should brag, Great job. Its the hardest thing to do. It feels like you have lost your best friend.
You know I quit June 3 with Chantixx. I only took Chantixx for 2 months because it made me so depressed and
was giving me suicidal ideation's. They were just awful. Everyone kept asking me what was wrong, and I would say nothing.

I couldn't figure out why I felt so sh!tty.. and then all of the sudden it dawned. So I stopped taking the med the depression went away almost overnight. I guess it got through the worse part of withdrawal from cigs ( I smoked for 38 yrs). After I stopped the Chantixx I still crave cigs but usually just push the thought aside or grab some pretzels and diet soda.My Dr told me if I didn't quit that I would not survive for much longer because of my heart. Yep triple bypass surgery and a pacemaker and I still smoked!!! But in June he told me that my new arteries were clogging up again, and I told him I would rather die than have another bypass.  he said keep smoking and you will.
So I stopped, I exercise,have been going to cardiac rehab again, eating healthier, ya know  all the good stuff.

When I was taking the Chantixx I was wondering why was I bothering to do all these healthy things that life sucked and why bother, plus I was really missing my Mom at that point too.

So Huge K U D O S for making it a year to you and Carlos both. You're outta the woods now. I am so very proud of you both!!!

WTG to you, too.

I don't feel that I am outta the woods-I don't think I will EVER be. I did quit once before and went back after 2 and half years.  :o :o :o  Once an addict, always an addict. I just have to keep on keepin' on.

An hour Howard really  ::) they must give nice long cigarette breaks at Pathmark

;D ;D ;D ;D

Way to go Cat and Carlos (though you need to quit the pipe as well)

Thanks-well, I don't think I'm going to get him to quit his pipe.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/05/08 at 6:32 pm

WTG to you, too.

I don't feel that I am outta the woods-I don't think I will EVER be. I did quit once before and went back after 2 and half years.  :o :o :o  Once an addict, always an addict. I just have to keep on keepin' on.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks-well, I don't think I'm going to get him to quit his pipe.  :-\\

Cat

Nah let him keep his pipe ;)  after all we gotta have some vices  ;D You are right about the addict part though I once quit for three months and went back it is a battle everyday. But F big tobacco, second hand smoke killed my Mom. She died from CVOPD and never smoked a day in her life.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/08 at 6:54 am

;D Well Snoz,I was just taking a shot in the dark.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/08 at 8:01 am

If it was a shot in the dark, then the lighted cigarette could be seen in the dark.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/08 at 11:40 am

If you didn't know the answer, why did you try to answer it? Why not let someone who knew the answer answer the question?

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/08 at 3:44 pm

If you didn't know the answer, why did you try to answer it? Why not let someone who knew the answer answer the question?

Cat

I don't think he has an answer for that ...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/08 at 4:01 pm

I don't think he has an answer for that ...

But he will try to answer it.  ;)

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/06/08 at 4:15 pm

Congratulations to you!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/occasion16.gif

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/06/08 at 6:33 pm

If it was a shot in the dark, then the lighted cigarette could be seen in the dark.

Cool Abbey Road cam shot... :)

Written By: Howard on 10/06/08 at 6:40 pm

I think only when you light it.

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/08 at 10:53 pm

But he will try to answer it.  ;)

Cat

only the part of it he actually reads  ;D

edited to add:

I think only when you light it.

See! I told you so!   ;D ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/09 at 5:54 pm

Just an update-today is 15 months.

Time Smoke-Free: 457 days, 23 hours, 54 minutes and 1 second

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 13740
Lifetime Saved:  3 months, 14 days, 23 hours
Money Saved: $2,404.50

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/09 at 6:23 pm

Cat

Happy Anniversary! You made it through the holidays....plus all that stress of the last couple of months... WAY TO GO!

Written By: statsqueen on 01/05/09 at 6:34 pm

Very proud of you, Cat and Carlos!!!!!!  *hugs*

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/05/09 at 6:37 pm

Congratulations - what are you doing to celebrate and spend the money - that would be a nice little vacation for 2 in 15 months - YEAH!!!!!

And look you have more time to go on vacations too!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/09 at 7:00 pm

Thanks everyone.

Congratulations - what are you doing to celebrate and spend the money - that would be a nice little vacation for 2 in 15 months - YEAH!!!!!

And look you have more time to go on vacations too!

I think our next vacation is going to be Philly in March.  ;)

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/05/09 at 7:06 pm

Thanks everyone.

Cat
Hey Philly - not the vacation I would plan.... But hey, if you like it that is all that matters  ;)  Have a great time!!!!

My next vacation (if you call it that I work there) will be August when we hit the Iowa State Fair again (yes I am swinging my finger in the air - thinking big woop - I have been there every year for 10 years now - HEY MY HUSBAND HAS NEVER MISSED A YEAR IN 37 years :o :o :o)  Can you call a tradition a vacations????

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/05/09 at 8:23 pm

Cat
way to go!  wow

Written By: Dagwood on 01/05/09 at 8:37 pm

Way to go, Cat and Carlos!  Congrats. :)

Written By: ninny on 01/05/09 at 8:45 pm

Cat

That's excellent,keep up the good work. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/09 at 9:39 pm

nice job guys:)

Written By: Gis on 01/06/09 at 1:02 am

Thanks everyone.

Cat
Serious? awesome!  8)

Well done on the anniversary, the next one will be a breeze.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/06/09 at 6:53 am

Cat

congratulations Cat and Carlos.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/06/09 at 8:28 am

Great job, guys!  It does get easier!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/09 at 11:39 am

Thanks, Everyone.

Serious? awesome!  8)

Well, we heard that a friend will be in Philly at that time.  ;)

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...