inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How does one get organized?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 2:32 am

I am slowly drowning in a sea of papers, books, and clothes.  I am so overwhelmed with the project of clearing out things and every time I try to sort things out, I either become sentimental about things and don't throw out more then a token of what really needs to go.

So I guess my question to you is, are any of you out there in cyberspace really good organizers?  I need to get motivated and/or ruthless with organizing my life/apartment.  I just don't know how to go about changing things.

I never realized how emotional I get with these things.  When I thought I was going to move at the end of this month, I kinda got my butt in gear and got rid of about 4 garbage bags of clothes to the thrift shops.  I could stand to get rid of more as I just don't wear them, and yet...I still like them.  What is my major problem and why can't I get my head wrapped around it?  :(

Subject: Re: How does one get organized?

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/07 at 3:20 am

^
I am currently in the same boat as you. Been at this new place 3 friggin weeks now (?!) ... and STILL surrounded by boxes of paraphernalia that I brought over from the old place.  >:(

I should be stronger willed / more ruthless ... and just chuck most of it out. Easier said then done though. Progress is very sporadic /slow ....  :(  :\'(

I've got a book called ...... hang on a minute .... where is it? I can't find it at the moment. It's buried somewhere underneath this clutter. I know I've had it for several months now, am half way through it ... and think it could be helpful here.

If only I can find it. Aah! Here it is "  8) 8) 8)

http://www2.booksite.com/img/ing_img/0201/0937750255.gif

So, I thoroughly recommend  you read and absorb the contents of this book Pattie. Then you too ... can be just like me !  8) ... completely organised, on top of things, able to land my hands on any book, at a moments notice !  8) 8)

Well, maybe 3 months notice ?  :-[

:D ;D :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 3:50 am

Thanks Alan,  that looks like a great book.  I will go look for it at the library this weekend.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/20/07 at 3:56 am

Organisation? What's that? But seriously, I'm just not an organised person. From how I arrange my drawers to how I do my work, it's all just one big mess. LOL. I don't have that "organisation gene" that most others tend to have.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/07 at 4:02 am

Thanks Alan,  that looks like a great book.  I will go look for it at the library this weekend.

Hey ! Cool ! I've 'found my mission in life' ! Inspiring others to greater things !  8) 8) 8)

Must've been this part that influenced Pattie .....

So, I thoroughly recommend  you read and absorb the contents of this book Pattie. Then you too ... can be just like me !  8) ... completely organised, on top of things, able to land my hands on any book, at a moments notice !  8) 8)

Well, maybe 3 months notice ?  :-
I've got a book called ...... hang on a minute .... where is it? I can't find it at the moment. It's buried somewhere underneath this clutter. I know I've had it for several months now, am half way through it ... and think it could be helpful here.

If only I can find it. Aah! Here it is "  8) 8) 8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 5:04 am

Well, maybe 3 months notice ?  :-[

:D ;D :D

;D  It was truly this part.  'Cause you've got me beat in finding things by about 6 months.  ;)  :D

I think my problem lies in the fact that I put too much value in everything, it's almost like I put a personality value to inanimate objects and since I don't want to hurt their feelings by giving them away or worse yet throwing them away and I think SOMEBODY could use this stuff...or maybe one day I'll need this stuff again...I just constantly spin my wheels.  That is one of my character flaws that I wish I could change.

Written By: Henk on 10/20/07 at 5:21 am

I am slowly drowning in a sea of papers, books, and clothes.  I am so overwhelmed with the project of clearing out things and every time I try to sort things out, I either become sentimental about things and don't throw out more then a token of what really needs to go.

So I guess my question to you is, are any of you out there in cyberspace really good organizers?  I need to get motivated and/or ruthless with organizing my life/apartment.  I just don't know how to go about changing things.

I never realized how emotional I get with these things.  When I thought I was going to move at the end of this month, I kinda got my butt in gear and got rid of about 4 garbage bags of clothes to the thrift shops.  I could stand to get rid of more as I just don't wear them, and yet...I still like them.  What is my major problem and why can't I get my head wrapped around it?   :(

Well Patty, it looks to me like you may not have realized the following:

1. Dealing with the clutter is dealing with your past.
No wonder you get emotional... There's a lot of memories there. Keep the good ones, let go of the bad. I know, easier said than done...That's why I recommend #2:

2. Dealing with the clutter is not something you should do alone.
This may look like kicking in an open door, but it's something you have to realize. Find someone that you really really trust to help you. I don't know (can't remember :-anyone going through your clutter, try and figure out why. I suspect there's more than meets the eye, and therefore here's my #3:

3. The clutter is not your major problem - it's just a symptom.
Clutter makes you feel comfortable, right? (Well, to a certain extent) Dealing with it takes away your comfort zone. That's why you can't get it done. Without your comfort zone it's down to the "bare" Patty. I may be wrong here, but I think you don't like what you get to see underneath. If that's really the case, you should work on that issue. Dealing with the clutter may not be such a big issue anymore once you've addressed your personal problems.

I could be totally wrong about this, but that's how I see it. And there's a message for me too...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 5:39 am

Wow Henk...you are amazingly accurate.  I never realized that that is what is happening until you said it.  I can totally relate.

lol My problem with getting someone to help me is that everybody that I could trust to help are even bigger packrats than I am.  Also the majority of my family is about 3 hours drive-time away.  My hubby could help but he has his own issues and while I try not to tread on his packrat ways...I know that if I asked him, he could help me clear out.  It's funny that when you remove yourself from situation...it does get easier.  I can see easy ways to organize my husband's things...just hard to do it for own self.  ;D  Maybe he and I can just trade junk piles.

Some very good advice Henk.  Thank you thank you.

Written By: Henk on 10/20/07 at 6:10 am

Wow Henk...you are amazingly accurate.  I never realized that that is what is happening until you said it.  I can totally relate.

lol My problem with getting someone to help me is that everybody that I could trust to help are even bigger packrats than I am.  Also the majority of my family is about 3 hours drive-time away.  My hubby could help but he has his own issues and while I try not to tread on his packrat ways...I know that if I asked him, he could help me clear out.  It's funny that when you remove yourself from situation...it does get easier.  I can see easy ways to organize my husband's things...just hard to do it for own self.   ;D  Maybe he and I can just trade junk piles.

Some very good advice Henk.  Thank you thank you.

Well, you've just said it yourself...Ask a fellow-packrat. They'll know what to do. And then maybe, once you've sorted yourself out, you can help someone else.

I still think asking help from your family is the best option. After all, they've known you for the longest. Going through your stuff with (one of) them will help (you and them) dealing with the past... It's not going to be easy, I realize that, and you may need professional help too.

One more thing...Take your time. It's always gonna take longer than you expected. Make sure you don't have any appointments or other arrangements once you've started.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/07 at 6:22 am

What I used to do is to collect so many papers that it cluttered my room so I bought big square shaped tube boxes to collect my junk.It's called Sterilite,I'm not sure.  ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 6:42 am

What I used to do is to collect so many papers that it cluttered my room so I bought big square shaped tube boxes to collect my junk.It's called Sterilite,I'm not sure.  ???

Yes, I have about 30 of these in my apartment chock full.  It only puts a small dent into my clutter. 

I think my clutter may be mating with each other and reproducing like rabbits.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/20/07 at 6:44 am

Yes, I have about 30 of these in my apartment chock full.  It only puts a small dent into my clutter. 

I think my clutter may be mating with each other and reproducing like rabbits.  ;D

Wow,30 of them? Does it help?  ;D

Written By: Henk on 10/20/07 at 6:51 am

If you can't remember what you put in them, or when you put it there in the first place...Time to dump them.

That would be too easy... Why not blame the goblins? ;D ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 7:00 am

If you can't remember what you put in them, or when you put it there in the first place...Time to dump them.

You are correct.  I did manage to get rid of boxes of stuff that I did not unpack from my move 4 years ago.  Haven't missed it yet. 

That would be too easy... Why not blame the goblins? ;D ;)

That's it!  Those lousy goblins have moved in and brought all their stuff with them.

I keep hoping the goblins will come in and clean for me...  :D

Written By: Henk on 10/20/07 at 7:04 am

That's it!  Those lousy goblins have moved in and brought all their stuff with them.

I keep hoping the goblins will come in and clean for me...  :D

Sorry...I told them to move out. :-[

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/21/07 at 12:12 am

I think Henk is right on all counts.  Take it from someone who's mother has a hard time throwing things away.  I think it made me the exact opposite.  I don't feel sentimental attachment to any material thing at all.  It's actually 12:30am and I have just finished day 3 of fall cleanout. 

I think the biggest trick is to designate space for things, i.e. one drawer or bin for papers, 2 shelves for books, etc.  I have a rule in my house about everything: 1 in, 1 out.  That's a pretty good rule to use on almost anything. 

Try to tackle one thing at a time.  Start with say, papers first.  You don't need bank statements from 3 years ago; shred 'em.  If a problem arises, the bank will have that info for you.

Another good rule is: If it doesn't fit, it should go.  Limit clothes you might like to fit into again to 1 small bin  (I always think of how great it will be to buy a smaller size if I ever actually lose my ass.  Plus, by the time I get to fit into my before pregnancy pants, the styles will have changed).  Fill a bag with clothes that still fit but aren't worn much and put it at the bottom of your closet.  If you have not gone in the bag in 6 months, it should go.

Good luck and let me know how it's going.

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/07 at 12:22 am

When I saw this thread peeking out on the main page, all I saw of the last word was Orga.  I totally thought something else :-[ ;D

I wish I could get organized.  Ever since moving a few years ago, I am still living in a sea of boxes.  I have trouble throwing things away, but I should realize one thing.  If I keep it stored away in a box buried deep in my closet, then do I really need it?  I mean it's not something I would use all the time, otherwise I would have it out where it would be easy accessible

Written By: Howard on 10/21/07 at 6:28 am

Or you can a bunch of blank folders at the Stationery store for cheap.That's where you can keep all your papers in.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/21/07 at 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm gettin' there.  One day at a time.  I've decided to leave Hubby's piles of books where they are, and let him organize himself (except for the dining room table - I cleared that off).  I started putting his books from the table in a box, and he comes out and starts unpacking it again.  lol  Ticked me off, but he says he was sorting it out, but ok...whatever.  :-X

I've got enough stuff to sort out of my own. 

I have been using folders for all the bills and receipts that I have to keep.  We bought two filing cabinets, the plan is one will be family tree research (eventually).  Right now, their both empty except for hanging folders.  ::)  Got to channel some energy to press onward.  Every little bit counts.

Written By: karen on 10/21/07 at 9:17 pm

Well I'm not really the best to advise you here.  We moved some stuff to America that was still boxed from the last time we moved house seven years ago!

Anyway, we decided that we should take advantage of the move and try to keep on top of the paperwork.  We have a filing cabinet and spent an exciting (!) evening labelling the various files and putting the important paperwork away.  There is still a bit to do but it is looking a lot better.

I also used the move as a way of getting rid of lots of books we have accumulated.  I have stored some in my mother-in-laws loft but a lot went to charity shops.  I am trying to buy my books from charity shops and other sales so I don't mind getting rid of them.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/21/07 at 9:44 pm

Well I'm not really the best to advise you here.  We moved some stuff to America that was still boxed from the last time we moved house seven years ago!

I envy you your move, Karen. I suspect once you've been in the States for a while, you will not want to go back to the UK to live ....

Have you met any 'inthe00s' members in person?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/21/07 at 10:04 pm

Anyway, we decided that we should take advantage of the move and try to keep on top of the paperwork.  We have a filing cabinet and spent an exciting (!) evening labelling the various files and putting the important paperwork away.  There is still a bit to do but it is looking a lot better.

Yeah that's what I'm gonna do one or two nights when I'm watching television.  That's what I've done before with previous years paperwork.  I just kinda haven't kept up with it this year like I'd planned.

I also used the move as a way of getting rid of lots of books we have accumulated.  I have stored some in my mother-in-laws loft but a lot went to charity shops.  I am trying to buy my books from charity shops and other sales so I don't mind getting rid of them.

Yeah that is what we've been doing too.  Either thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, or this wonderful little bookstore called "Half Price Books" that have clearance sections for a dollar or less.

I wonder if it's just that I was waiting for it to get cooler (weather) to start my indoor projects.  I was really lackluster even though I knew we were supposed to be moving end of this month (now we're not), so I was half-heartedly sorting thru books and clothes, etc.. 
Now I've become revved up to cleaning again, and the only thing different is the weather (and well my husband is finally feeling better with all his mishaps healthwise, so I guess I've stopped holding my proverbial breath and started living life normally again.)

My mom has finally stopped giving me things to keep from their home too.  For awhile there, every time we'd go to visit, I'd end up bringing home a big box or two of stuff she thought I should have.  lol  It finally stopped a year ago when she came out to visit after my surgery.  I think she saw how swamped my apartment was and that is was starting to look like my grandma's place and it finally dawned on her, that I didn't have room for the stuff any more then she did.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/21/07 at 10:25 pm

I wished that I lived closer to you...I would come and help you organize...I love to do stuff like that..LOVE IT!

My suggestion...make 3 piles: the give away/thrift store pile, the garbage pile, and the "I definitely can't live w/o this item" pile.  Also, if it takes more than 5 seconds to decide if you want to keep something or not....GET RID OF IT. Most likely, it's been sitting under a pile of other piles...for a long time...no need to hold onto something that you will never use.

Also, a good suggestion...instead of just getting rid of stuff....try selling some of your unwanted items on Ebay (music, movies, books, clothes, trinkets, jewelry, collectibles, etc)...you would be surprised just how much you can make off of your old "junk". ;)

I like to use those plastic bins (of all sizes) to organize with. Put important papers in those...little things like craft supplies, nails/tools, cosmetics, jewelry, etc in small plastic bins. It makes the place look like there is a lot less clutter, and it keeps everything in its place.

Like I said...if I lived closer, I would be glad to help...this kind of stuff excites me (yes I know, it doesn't take much ;D).

Written By: Jessica on 10/21/07 at 10:31 pm

It sounds like you're making progress! :) Like Henk said, if you don't remember what's in the box, toss it out. Same goes for anything that is just sitting around in closets, drawers, whatever. It feels heaps better to just get rid of stuff or give excess belongings to Goodwill or another charity.

We just went through this ourselves. I spent a whole Saturday sorting through several junk drawers and boxes. Got rid of at least 4 cardboard boxes full of stuff and cleaned out many drawers. I also got rid of my beat down wooden chest that contained keepsakes from Jason's 1st birthday, our wedding, and basically our lives. I confined all the stuff to one Sterilite bin, dismantled the ginormous chest, and tossed it.

I also went through Jason's room and grabbed any toys he didn't play with or were too young for him. That took care of more stuff.

Eventually, I want to simplify this place even more and get rid of our kitchen table (completely busted and only three chairs) and get a smaller one. I also want to try and clear more crap out of here. I would like to get rid of all our cleaning supplies and just stick to environmentally friendly stuff (think vinegar), but I'm not sure of how to dispose all the chemicals.

God, I'm turning into a hippie. ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/21/07 at 10:41 pm

Man, if I EVER get my cluttered sorted/ reduced to manageable levels ONCE and for all, ... I might actually start LIVING ! (??). It's like 'Limahl's' 'Never ending story'. It imprisons me to quite some extent. In one box currently on my speakers, I have an open plastic container housing close to 100 'sawn off shotguns' of 'pencils'. Pencils that I've collected from various venues, that end up in my pockets, then back here. Always useful for my trivia nights .. but do I need THAT many?  Another bag is full of numerous highlighting pens/ pens and so on.

I've got a couple of large old suitcases .. that have yet to be chucked 'cause they could be useful down the track ... yet about the only time they're used now is when I move / to store clutter. I've got around 220 CD's that I've transferred to my hard drive .. and I'm loathe to give the CD's away, as they're insurance / look nice ... even though I've backed up the mp3s to my second hard drive .....

I hate the way I live / disorganised, messy / a slave to my clutter ... but changing all this .. it's very very slow progress. It's probably my mentality, more than anything ....

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/21/07 at 10:56 pm

BURN IT! BURN IT! YEAH, YEAH, FIRE'S COOL! FIRE! FIRE!

http://www.kevinfederlinefanclub.com/user_pics/beavis.gif

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/21/07 at 11:06 pm

I wished that I lived closer to you...I would come and help you organize...I love to do stuff like that..LOVE IT!

My suggestion...make 3 piles: the give away/thrift store pile, the garbage pile, and the "I definitely can't live w/o this item" pile.  Also, if it takes more than 5 seconds to decide if you want to keep something or not....GET RID OF IT. Most likely, it's been sitting under a pile of other piles...for a long time...no need to hold onto something that you will never use.

Also, a good suggestion...instead of just getting rid of stuff....try selling some of your unwanted items on Ebay (music, movies, books, clothes, trinkets, jewelry, collectibles, etc)...you would be surprised just how much you can make off of your old "junk". ;)

I like to use those plastic bins (of all sizes) to organize with. Put important papers in those...little things like craft supplies, nails/tools, cosmetics, jewelry, etc in small plastic bins. It makes the place look like there is a lot less clutter, and it keeps everything in its place.

Like I said...if I lived closer, I would be glad to help...this kind of stuff excites me (yes I know, it doesn't take much ;D).

I'm with you, Quirk, I live for this stuff.  I think the only reason my Aunt invites me to her house in Arizona is to reorganize her tupperware cabinets.  (Oh, and because I like to iron  :)).

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/21/07 at 11:14 pm

BURN IT! BURN IT! YEAH, YEAH, FIRE'S COOL! FIRE! FIRE!

http://www.kevinfederlinefanclub.com/user_pics/beavis.gif

"Uhhh, Beavis you dillweed. You suck." ;D

Seriously though, if something has sentimental value or you think you might have a future use for it, don't throw it out. I've done that and ended up annoyed at myself later for it (i.e. once it got far enough in the past to really get attached to it). Just get better storage - for example, Goodwill usually has those VHS and DVD cabinets. I agree with file folders and stuff too.

Just as a random, simple example, there were some various artist '80s compliation tapes I bought (or my mom did for me) in the early-mid '90s. Once I had all the songs on them either from the original albums they came from, or on better collections, I resold alot of those tapes around '97 or '98ish. Well, it's far enough away now that part of the reason I'd want them isn't just for the music, but the sentimental value since they (and alot of other things) were tied to my late Elementary school years. At the time, it was just a few years before, so it hadn't quite reached that point yet. Same thing with alot of school papers, homework and stuff. I learned from that experience, though, to keep pretty much everything.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/22/07 at 12:14 am

I'm not sure of how to dispose all the chemicals.

Anything not petroleum based can be flushed down the drain with lots of hot water... that is, unless you have a septic system, then you're kinda hosed.

Anything flammable should be set on fire. Roach spray burns a pretty green color...  ;D

Seriously though, good post. I generally use the two year rule: anything not used, look at or missed in two years gets thrown out. There are exceptions, like pictures, CDs, tools and so on.

Looking in my room right now, I see several books that could be thrown out. I don't need the hint guide to Thief II nor the Clymer manual to XL/XR 75-100cc 1975-1985 motorcycles...

As far as organizing things that are useful, it is hard to because of the small storage spaces here. I go through my clothes at least twice a year and decide what I don't need (or, what will never fit again: read, size 28 pants) or is worn out. Folding or hanging clothes to make more space is an art unto itself. No one needs 26 pairs of underwear or 35 pairs of socks.  :D

Paperwork isn't too much a problem for me: I have folders for most every topic, and old stuff gets thrown to the shredder.

Keepsakes/momentos are the hardest for me: how do you display all that stuff? My answer is combine them. For example, I have a Chartreuse shot glass filled with D&D dice (don't tell anyone  ;)).

I have a cheap CD rack which holds like 100 CDs. It's great for storing lots of CDs in a small space.

It would be helpful to know what kinds of things you are trying to organize.

Ant

Written By: karen on 10/22/07 at 7:51 am

No one needs 26 pairs of underwear or 35 pairs of socks.  :D

Ant

When I was working doing the laundry was kind of bottom of my list so it was not uncommon for us to get down to the last pair or two.  Now I'm at home Dai was complaining that there isn't room in the drawer for all his socks!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/07 at 7:53 am

No one needs 26 pairs of underwear or 35 pairs of socks.  :D

Ant

hahahaha....I have about 50 pairs of underwear and about 50 bras, as well. LOL! I don't have as many socks though. :D ;D

Written By: KKay on 10/22/07 at 7:54 am

How I do it-  if I don't need it, throw it away.  then clean  up what's left

Written By: Gis on 10/22/07 at 8:04 am

I'm a pretty bad hoarder but Himself is worse and I find his clutter drives me mad and makes me get a bit more ruthless with mine! Moving house helped because I got so damn sick of packing boxes by the end I was throwing loads just so I didn't have to pack it!  ;D

The putting things into a box taping it up and leaving it for 3 months, and if you can't remember what's in it take it to the thrift store unopened works. I sold a lot on Ebay and once you start making money it makes you want to sell more.

Written By: karen on 10/22/07 at 8:14 am

It's hard if you have an attachment to a lot of trinkets such as ornaments and nick nacks people have bought/made for you.  What my mum did was find some decent storage boxes and then pack some away into a cupboard.  She would then swap them around when she did a major clean.

Written By: Marian on 10/22/07 at 2:27 pm

By being shallow enough to think you are going to rot in hell if you have 1 thing not in a drawer/

Written By: Howard on 10/22/07 at 2:51 pm

by buying folders and labels to keep papers in it.

Written By: Marian on 10/22/07 at 3:22 pm

hahahaha....I have about 50 pairs of underwear and about 50 bras, as well. LOL! I don't have as many socks though. :D ;D
maybe if they never sweat!damn,I go through 2 or 3 pairs of socks a day sometimes!

Written By: Red Ant on 10/22/07 at 6:22 pm

maybe if they never sweat!damn,I go through 2 or 3 pairs of socks a day sometimes!

Yeah, I can go through 2 or 3 pairs of socks and underwear (and everything else) a day in the summer months. I just don't have room to store 30 or 40 pairs, nor do I want dirty laundry to pile up for a week, which tends to happen if I have tons of socks and underwear left in the dresser.

Ant

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/07 at 6:33 pm

I swear that there is a sock monster in our house.  My hubby's socks are all over the place, and yet I rarely have matching pairs.  How does that happen???  Thankfully, he's not too picky about having matching socks, just so they fit and they are sorta close to matching (I mean, if the band at the top has different stripes, who inspects if someone else has a matching pair of socks or not?)  ;D

I am getting there, did some more sorting today, plus will do more tonight as I am watching telly.  I've found that finding places that need things is pretty satisfying too, like...I took a garbage bag full of those plastic grocery bags to a thrift store who uses them when people buy things.  I didn't even have to sort them as to what store their from (I think Wal-Mart takes bags back too, but I don't know if they have to be Wal-Mart bags only or not.)  Also...every time my hubby has a doctor or dentist appointment, I will take some magazines with me and just leave them in the waiting room for other people to read.  Sometimes I'll leave a paperback book too.  Another thing I thought of is maybe to contact the school's art teacher (do they still have those with all the budget cuts nowadays?) because I remember that we used to cut pictures out of magazines and make collages and things in art class.

Hubby and I are going to start putting more stuff on e-bay, Christmas will be coming so I imagine more people will be buying things now (at least I hope so.)  ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/22/07 at 7:00 pm

Well, I'm starting to see the light of day ...

I stuck a 'monster' suitcase and some other large luggage on the ground floor near where most people come out of / go into the lift in this building .. last night .... with a piece of paper on top 'FREE LUGGAGE'. It sort of hurt to toss out perfectly good stuff ... but since I don't really have the space for it .. I've gotta take some pain. However, I might have gone too far with one item that hangs on rail and forms a portable collapsible shelf array. Might've been useful for when my Mother visits /stays with me in a couple of months. Still it is replaceable, albeit at a price ...

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/22/07 at 7:16 pm

I swear that there is a sock monster in our house.  My hubby's socks are all over the place, and yet I rarely have matching pairs.  How does that happen???  Thankfully, he's not too picky about having matching socks, just so they fit and they are sorta close to matching (I mean, if the band at the top has different stripes, who inspects if someone else has a matching pair of socks or not?)   ;D

I am getting there, did some more sorting today, plus will do more tonight as I am watching telly.  I've found that finding places that need things is pretty satisfying too, like...I took a garbage bag full of those plastic grocery bags to a thrift store who uses them when people buy things.  I didn't even have to sort them as to what store their from (I think Wal-Mart takes bags back too, but I don't know if they have to be Wal-Mart bags only or not.)  Also...every time my hubby has a doctor or dentist appointment, I will take some magazines with me and just leave them in the waiting room for other people to read.  Sometimes I'll leave a paperback book too.   Another thing I thought of is maybe to contact the school's art teacher (do they still have those with all the budget cuts nowadays?) because I remember that we used to cut pictures out of magazines and make collages and things in art class.

Hubby and I are going to start putting more stuff on e-bay, Christmas will be coming so I imagine more people will be buying things now (at least I hope so.)  ;D
I'm so glad to hear that you're making progress.  Good for you!  Another suggestion, many dry cleaners will take back hangers to reuse (provided they're in good condition).  It's a great way to recycle AND clear up your closets.

Written By: nally on 11/12/07 at 4:18 pm

I like to be a good organizer; it gives me a sense of neatness, and it helps me remember where everything is. Motivation is the key for me too. Usually it's my room that needs the most organization.

Often times, organizing a certain area of my room, whether it be my closet, or a bookcase, or whatever, usually takes more than 24 hours for me to do; I often need at least two days set aside for such projects.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/07 at 4:21 pm

By using Sterilite Tubes to put papers in them.

Written By: nally on 11/12/07 at 4:22 pm

By using Sterilite Tubes to put papers in them.

I've tried that, but after storing the papers in those for long periods of time, they tend to get curled...and I have to roll them the other way to try and iron out the curl.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/07 at 4:23 pm

I've tried that, but after storing the papers in those for long periods of time, they tend to get curled...and I have to roll them the other way to try and iron out the curl.

How does it curl up? ???

Written By: nally on 11/12/07 at 4:24 pm

How does it curl up? ???

Simple...if you roll your paper and stick it in a tube, then the paper will get curled. Especially if it sits inside the tube for a long period of time.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/07 at 4:25 pm

Simple...if you roll your paper and stick it in a tube, then the paper will get curled. Especially if it sits inside the tube for a long period of time.

Does it turn yellow-ish?

Written By: nally on 05/05/16 at 8:33 pm

One way, I suppose, is to sort the stuff out that you want to put in one place... and decide if you really need it. This is what I've been doing lately as I continue to organize my bedroom (a week ago, I had to clear it all out as we had it (and all the other rooms with carpet) re-carpeted).

Written By: 80sfan on 05/05/16 at 9:00 pm

One day at a time. If you have your whole room to clean. It can be overwhelming for a beginner to clean it all in one day. Perhaps split it into three days.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/16 at 8:35 am

I like to get organized by using alphabetical order or some sort of order to get me started. I could do it by genre, numerical or alphabetical which ever one suits me best.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/16 at 12:46 pm

Oh man, I am trying to organize our inventory. For the past couple of months I have been working on it. I am just working a little every day. I try to go through at least ONE box a day-if not more. It seems like it is going slow but I am able to get the inventory room where I can actually SEE what we have in there. Unfortunately, I haven't even touched the garage.  :-\\

I am putting them into 4 categories: eBay, Craigslist, our booth, & yard sale. I am planning on having a yard sale soon but it looks like it will have to wait until June.

I have been working on the inventory room that I haven't even touched this office. I look around and MAN it needs to be organized. I still have boxes that haven't been unpacked since we moved 2 years ago. I plan on putting inventory on hold for the next few weeks and concentrate on this room. Again, a little each day-everyday. But, I do take a day off once in awhile.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/06/16 at 1:55 pm

Another way to get organized is to buy big folders and store your papers in them.

Check for new replies or respond here...