inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Collectables!

Written By: Brigitte on 10/21/07 at 2:19 pm

Do any of you collect anything? I'm a big fan of Marilyn Monroe so I have a good collection of books and magazines and various other memorbilia on her. I also collect vintage perfume bottles and I have a mini coin collection too.
My boyfriend likes Star Wars and Star Treck stuff (he's a geek and he knows it)

Subject: Re: Collectables!

Written By: loki 13 on 10/21/07 at 2:30 pm

I don't collect anything anymore but I used to collect, Comic Books (Mostly Marvel), Poke' Mon Cards and
Yu-Gi-Oh Cards. I still have my collection, I just haven't added to it in years. I was wasting money on useless
stuff.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/07 at 3:43 pm

Reading figurines.

http://www.avianyard.com/images/15343.jpg

Written By: Jessica on 10/21/07 at 3:50 pm

I used to collect porcelain dolls, but I eventually gave them all to my younger cousin. Now I collect monkey things: stuffed animals, little figurines, and basically whatever has monkeys or chimpanzees on it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/21/07 at 4:22 pm

I collect certain book series- Nero Wolfe, Dune, Brother Cadfael, etc.

I also collect frogs.

Written By: Paul on 10/21/07 at 4:32 pm

Do any of you collect anything?

I collect dust, mostly... :P

Written By: wildcard on 10/21/07 at 4:36 pm

I have a small collection of dragons, a small collection of crazy hats, and a small collection of cheap sunglasses

Written By: woops on 10/21/07 at 4:55 pm

records, CDs video tapes of stuff that aren't on DVD  (usually stuff I'm into)

vintage animation (of interest/nostalgia)

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/21/07 at 7:58 pm

I used to visit antique stores to buy vintage cat figurines. My collection got out of hand and much of it is now in storage.

I also used to collect issues of Seventeen magazine from 1977 through the 1980's. I bought a few issues from 1978 at a library sale nearly a decade ago and I spent the next several years collecting what I can find. I don't actively collect any more issues, but they're still fun to look at. I have the January and February 1978 issues on display in my bedroom.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/21/07 at 8:03 pm

VHS movies, cassettes, old-school electronics, some books and magazines, etc. I shop at thrift and secondhand stores quite a bit.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/21/07 at 10:33 pm

Oh man...it might be easier to list what I DON'T collect! LOL! ;D :D

Ok...here's some of the stuff that I collect:

old books
children's books
old vintage noisemakers
antique cast iron banks
anything 50's retro--the kitshier, the better ;)
Coca-Cola stuff
old vintage replica tin signs
vintage scratch & sniff stickers
movies from my childhood/younger years
TV shows on DVD
dolls/toys from my childhood (and earlier)
Ramones stuff
Musical vinyl albums
old photographs
Rt. 66 memoribilia
retro/vintage postcards
tribal masks/statues (my livingroom is all tribal stuff)
Memoribilia from several local defunct places

Gosh, there are more...but I had better leave some room for others to post~ ;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/07 at 10:40 pm

Three main things that I collect at the moment are ...

♦ 45's
♦ 12" singles
♦ TV Shows on DVD

as well as regular DVD movies.  I used to collect cassette tapes, LPs and CDs, but lately I don't buy as much of those as I used to cause I just don't have the space. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/07 at 11:44 am

I used to visit antique stores to buy vintage cat figurines. My collection got out of hand and much of it is now in storage.

I hear ya-only mine were not necessarily vintage. I have an international cat collection made from all over the world-Germany, Greece, Italy, etc. I am not just partial to the domestic cat, I also have lions and tigers (and bears, oh my) They are made from all sorts of different material.-stone, glass, alabaster, etc.  Some were gifts. But yeah, I have so many that I can't display them all-and many are in boxes. But I still have quite a few out-sitting on top of my computer desk is a cougar made out of olive wood that I purchased in Israel (that I just noticed needs to be oiled because the wood is starting to crack  :\'( :\'(). 

And I'm sure it will surprise people around here to know that I also collect coins.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/22/07 at 11:47 am

I have remembered that I also collect Old World objects.

Written By: Marian on 10/22/07 at 2:24 pm

I collect dolls,golden age records,vintage clothes,jewelry,stuffed animals--almost anything 50s or earlier!

Written By: Howard on 10/22/07 at 2:53 pm

Michael Jackson stuff
Jammin Oldies tapes and CDs
Garbage Pail Kids
ALF
magazines
Playboys
Penthouses
Year In Reviews

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/22/07 at 6:17 pm

I used to collect Boyd's Bears...then I had kids and realized there were more important things to spend my money on.  ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/22/07 at 6:52 pm

magazines
Playboys
Penthouses

Why am I not surprised, for some bizarre reason?

Written By: Brigitte on 10/22/07 at 8:58 pm

I collect dust, mostly... :P

;D Ya, so do I! (sneezes!)

Written By: Howard on 10/23/07 at 6:32 am

Why am I not surprised, for some bizarre reason?

You're supposed to be suprised!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/23/07 at 2:10 pm

I used to collect shells, but I haven't added any new ones in years (though I still have my collection)...

Nowadays I collect music and keychains (from different parts of the world)... :)

Written By: Howard on 10/24/07 at 7:07 am

Jammin Oldies Music Cassettes and CDs.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/24/07 at 7:46 pm

I used to collect old Commodre 64 games.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/07 at 7:20 am

Year In Reviews.

Written By: MLB on 10/29/07 at 7:09 pm

You know--this is probably a way for the pack rat police in our midst to monitor the downward spiral of the rest of us, by reading what we admit to collecting! ;) 

And, yes, I'm guilty.....from a long line of collectors too.

Record singles: 45's and extended play.  majority are 1980's/1970's
Horses: I have a little of everything;  die cast horse from the Barbie toy line, pictures, postcards, beanies (horse and zebra), mini "pound  puppies" ponies

Carousels:   adds to my "horse" collection, but I also have tigers, zebras, and other animals on carousel poles too. as well as one sea horse.
Postcards:  They aren't in a book or anything yet, but mostly they are from long-distance friends or bought on vacation. However, now I'm in a card exchange club so I'm always getting another one or two.  The most recent ones are 3D Disney cards.
Postage Stamps: Worldwide/new & used/topicals= horses, flora & fauna including trees,  fish&sea mammals, african wildlife,and forest wildlife. Plus, other topics too.
Pokemon cards:  I have an album full of these cards.  The last set I bought was last year actually.  Last week I considered selling the lot but I am not sure where to start, but I have a lead so hopefully I can make back a few dollars!
Ink Stampers:  I love decorating my letters with these things, but they get expensive. I have a fairly big box full of them.
Books:   I keep the majority of books I read, whether novels for entertainment or volumes of poetry from college .

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/07 at 8:18 pm

Books
DVDs
Magazines
Stuffed animals
Novels
Anything Harry Potter or Lord of The Rings related
TV shows on DVD
X Box Games

Written By: Gis on 10/30/07 at 5:33 am

My boyfriend likes Star Wars and Star Treck stuff (he's a geek and he knows it)
:o it's bad to be into Star Wars *AND* Star Trek very bad............  ;D

I collect Monkeys, Elephants and Snowmen.
I have a fantastic collection of black and white movie photo's and stills from the 30's and 40's but they started to get way too expensive so I haven't bought anymore in a long time.

Check for new replies or respond here...