inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have extra Christmas Cards this year? UPDATED!!!

Written By: Tam on 11/02/07 at 11:52 am

That time of year is approaching again, and so I thought this might interest a few people.

When you make out your Christmas Card list this year, if you have a few extras and feel like doing so, please send them to this address:

{edited to remove address - if you would like to send Christmas cards to recovering American soldiers, pm me and I will forward the addy to you}

{edited yet again to correct everything. Do not mail anything to address that was posted here earlier, it has been pointed out that the hospital will not accept anything addressed to A Recovering American Soldier. Instead, PM me and I will send you a list of names of deployed Soldiers to send Christmas cards too. Be patient, I will have to get those names from Hubby sometime this week.}

{Final edit (hopefully) go to this post to see info!} http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=29336.msg1439900#msg1439900

I am sure that they will be more than appreciated!

Tam

Subject: Re: Have extra Christmas Cards this year?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/02/07 at 2:03 pm

That time of year is approaching again, and so I thought this might interest a few people.

When you make out your Christmas Card list this year, if you have a few extras and feel like doing so, please send them to this address:

A Recovering American soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
Washington,D.C. 20307-5001

Tam

Thank you for this. I would love to send some cards to soldiers who need some extra Christmas cheer :0)

Written By: karen on 11/02/07 at 2:15 pm

thanks for this Tam.  One of the children was saying something about sending a card to a serving soldier.  I think they said it was supposed to be someone they knew and I was going to ask you for some contact details when I'd got more information from the school.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/02/07 at 3:49 pm

What a wonderful idea.  Thank you for the information.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/02/07 at 4:04 pm

I've been wanting to do something like this for ages, Tam.

I come from a line of Army veterans.
Grandpa was a WWII para-trooper & tank driver.
My uncle was in the Army for nearly 40 yrs., serving in Turkey & Vietnam.
My brother graduated Boot Camp the day we bombed Baghdad in Desert Storm.
Somewhere in my ancestry, there's a forefather who served at Valley Forge, under Gen. Washington.

Therefore, this would make perfect sense.

Written By: Tam on 11/02/07 at 5:43 pm

Thank YOU for even thinking about doing this!

Everything else aside, a recovering Soldier needs to know that why they were injured was not in vain. Family and friends always help but when they receive something from a complete stranger, thanking them, it makes a World of difference. I personally appreciate everything that everyone does for our Soldiers.

Karen - let me know and I will get you what you need!

Tam

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/02/07 at 8:08 pm

Thanks so much for that info. I'll be sure to do just that this coming holiday.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/02/07 at 8:31 pm

Thanks for that info, Tam.  That is an excellent idea.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/07 at 9:45 pm

What a great idea!  I'll be sure to send a few this year.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/02/07 at 10:05 pm

I will definitely send some!! :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/07 at 10:13 pm

Any chance of stickying this thread so I remember when it comes time to send them out?  I'm sure I'll lost the address if I write it down now.  Lord knows I lack the organizing gene...which includes finding stuff when I need it.

Written By: Tam on 11/02/07 at 10:54 pm

Any chance of stickying this thread so I remember when it comes time to send them out?  I'm sure I'll lost the address if I write it down now.  Lord knows I lack the organizing gene...which includes finding stuff when I need it.

Done and done.
I will un-sticky it right after Christmas!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/07 at 10:57 pm

Done and done.
I will un-sticky it right after Christmas!

Thank you kindly!

Written By: Howard on 11/03/07 at 6:41 am

Ok,I'll see if I have a few laying around. :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 1:13 pm

Ok,I'll see if I have a few laying around. :)

man I have TONS- I always have left over cards but can never send the same card two years in a  row so I just keep buying more.

Thanks Tam its a great idea!

Written By: statsqueen on 11/05/07 at 9:53 am

Thanks, Tam.  I ALWAYS have extra cards.  I will be sure to send many.  Thank you!

Written By: Tam on 11/05/07 at 10:04 am

You are so very welcome!

I must admit that I might take the actual address down - because there are some people out there that might send something other than Christmas cards - and because the forum can be read by guests.... well, I think you know where I am going with this.

I will leave it up for the rest of the day and then take it down tonight. If you don't get it copied.... pm me and I will gladly send it to you!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Tam

Written By: Howard on 11/05/07 at 2:07 pm

man I have TONS- I always have left over cards but can never send the same card two years in a  row so I just keep buying more.

Thanks Tam its a great idea!

Why do people save Christmas Cards?

Written By: statsqueen on 11/05/07 at 2:46 pm

Why do people save Christmas Cards?

I can only speak for myself.  I usually end up with too many because I buy them in boxes then don't have enough people to use them all.  I hate to waste them and throw away good cards, so I put them in the box with my Christmas decorations (I actually have enough so that I graduated from a cardboard box to a Rubbermaid container!!!) and then pick and choose from the new and not so new every year (they are in good condition so no one can tell they are from previous years).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/05/07 at 5:34 pm

Oooh, this is a cool idea :)

Written By: Henk on 11/06/07 at 4:55 pm

Question:

Why just the US forces?  ??? There's British and Dutch soldiers on a mission as well...

...Now if only someone could trace an address for those troops.  :-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/06/07 at 9:20 pm

Question:

Why just the US forces?  ??? There's British and Dutch soldiers on a mission as well...

There has to be some international data base.  Good point though, there's more than just Americans serving over there.

Written By: karen on 11/06/07 at 9:24 pm

This might be a useful contact for Brits

http://www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/yellowrib.html

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 12:24 am

Hey Tam. I'd like to participate. Would we be sending mail to soldiers that know and served with your hubby or just to whomever gets them?

Written By: Tam on 11/07/07 at 1:39 pm

Question:

It is only for the US because that is the only address that I have at this point in time :(

Hey Tam. I'd like to participate. Would we be sending mail to soldiers that know and served with your hubby or just to whomever gets them?

I can't answer this one honestly. I have no idea who would get them because they will be addressed to "A Recovering American Soldier". So far as I know, most of the Soldiers with hubby are still there with him. Of course I can't go into other details, but there have been a few casualities. :\'(  I will send you the address ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/07/07 at 9:09 pm

I'm surprised that they still do anonymous "to any soldier" mailings, what with security measures now-a-days.  I mean, I'm thankful, because I'd like to be supportive, and I don't really know anybody serving right now, other then my ex-husband's friend (whom I'm sure doesn't want to hear from me.  lol  Not that I'd even know how to locate him just to send him a card for good cheer)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/08/07 at 5:02 pm

{edited to remove address - if you would like to send Christmas cards to recovering American soldiers, pm me and I will forward the addy to you}

Tam

I would love to!  Awesome, Tam!

Written By: Jessica on 11/09/07 at 9:31 am

It's an urban legend. Walter Reed and the USPS will not accept anything addressed to "Any Recovering American Soldier". However, Snopes provides links to other places to help. Sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/soldiercards.asp

Written By: Tam on 11/09/07 at 10:38 am

It's an urban legend. Walter Reed and the USPS will not accept anything addressed to "Any Recovering American Soldier". However, Snopes provides links to other places to help. Sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/soldiercards.asp

Thanks Jess! ;)

You know, I never even thought to look on snopes for this one because I got the information from our Unit! You would think that if it came from the place where most of my information comes from that it would be bang on right?  >:( I will be sure to tell everyone who has this information now not to bother with it at all. Thanks again Girl!

So instead, like last year, if you want addresses for Soldiers that are deployed then PM me and I will send new names and such.

Written By: Jessica on 11/09/07 at 10:42 am

Thanks Jess! ;)

You know, I never even thought to look on snopes for this one because I got the information from our Unit! You would think that if it came from the place where most of my information comes from that it would be bang on right?  >:( I will be sure to tell everyone who has this information now not to bother with it at all. Thanks again Girl!

So instead, like last year, if you want addresses for Soldiers that are deployed then PM me and I will send new names and such.

No problem. I would have posted it sooner, but Snopes barely put it up today. It sucks that so many people were or already did get stuff ready and they're not going to accept it. Lame. >:(

Written By: MLB on 11/10/07 at 7:46 pm

my uncle was in the vets hospital Long Beach, Calif for much of his life. Even tho it was an  injury sustained after coming home, he still had served and the cards  school children and boy scout troops sent him every holiday brightened up his room and made his day.  I will certainly PM you later to return the favor others bestowed upon my family. :)

Written By: Tam on 11/13/07 at 3:59 pm

Well, I held on to the notion that you could actually send a card to a Wounded Military Soldier and I finally have the real address that you can send them to. You go to this website - Military OneSource - and choose which branch you would like to send a card to, be it Army, Air Force, Marines etc. Click Go and the next page will give you the proper address to send it to.

Military OneSource is a trusted website, that thousands of Active Military and their spouses use every day. It can be guaranteed that the cards you send will reach their destination through this website.

Thanks everyone for being patient with the wrong information earlier!

OneSource Christmas Cards

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/13/07 at 4:05 pm

As soon as I get my cards this year, this will be one of the first to go out.

Written By: Tam on 11/14/07 at 1:38 am

As soon as I get my cards this year, this will be one of the first to go out.

That would be so awesome!! 8)

Subject: Re: Have extra Christmas Cards this year? UPDATED!!!

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/26/07 at 2:22 pm

what ish thish?

Subject: Re: Have extra Christmas Cards this year? UPDATED!!!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/26/07 at 3:35 pm

what sh thish?

Ve exchange Christmas cards und hope de don't get lost in de mail.  Of course ve also mail Christmas cards to soldiers.  Kind of like a smaller version of the USO back in World War 2.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/07 at 1:04 am

Well, I held on to the notion that you could actually send a card to a Wounded Military Soldier and I finally have the real address that you can send them to. You go to this website - Military OneSource - and choose which branch you would like to send a card to, be it Army, Air Force, Marines etc. Click Go and the next page will give you the proper address to send it to.

Military OneSource is a trusted website, that thousands of Active Military and their spouses use every day. It can be guaranteed that the cards you send will reach their destination through this website.

Thanks everyone for being patient with the wrong information earlier!

OneSource Christmas Cards
so at this time, this is the address where you would like us to mail cards to? if so, then I'll send a couple to each branch. thanks Tam

Written By: Tam on 12/14/07 at 8:54 pm

so at this time, this is the address where you would like us to mail cards to? if so, then I'll send a couple to each branch. thanks Tam

Yes, definitely - this would be your best bet for getting Christmas wishes to Soldiers, no matter which branch you prefer to choose! ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...