inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I put the heat on for the first time this fall.

Written By: KKay on 11/07/07 at 7:51 pm

Is it cold by you?  it was 59 in my house when i got home.  I gave in. I fought it and today I caved.

Put your heat on yet?

Subject: Re: I put the heat on for the first time this fall.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/07 at 7:54 pm

59? lol. We wish it were 59 right now over here, it was around 40 for a high today and snow flurries. Though October was pretty above average here, it has plummeted big time this week.

Written By: KKay on 11/07/07 at 7:55 pm

I  know what you mean by plummeted.

We have only two seasons here.  it went from 75 to 45 in about three days.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 8:10 pm

today's forecast is
High: 70°
Low: 48

right now it's about 53 degrees and Mostly Clear  and YES, we've turned on our heater a few times already at night and early morning. We had new windows installed over the summer so we've been curious to see any difference in our heater usage & there's a big difference. before we got the new windows, we had to keep turning the heater on to warm up the place because it would not retain the heat, and would quickly get cold again, but now we can turn it on and once it's warmed up, it stays warm for a long time, almost all night, so that investment is proving to be a good one.

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/07 at 8:11 pm

it was pretty cold (by CA standards) last night I think  44.  Now I know most of you think that's not all that cold but the reason I live in CA is because I don't well in sub zero temps- Hey I barely survived 44- don't know what'll do for the rest of winter cuz I only have a space heater...

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/07 at 8:13 pm

I brought my electric blanket down from upstairs the other day.  ;D

Written By: karen on 11/07/07 at 8:14 pm

We put the heating last week I think.  It has been a lot colder this week here.  Of course most of October was unseasonably warm so the 'normal' temperature now feels so much cooler by comparison.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 8:15 pm

i tend to suit up in layers, short sleeve t shirt, then a long sleeve t shirt, then a sweatshirt and sweat pants and that keeps me insulated even when it's cold. We use our fireplace quite a bit too.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/07 at 8:32 pm

I only just put the heater away not so long ago. It's been not too warm this spring compared with 2005 & 2006. But they're expecting a warmer than normal summer.

Hopefully not too warm.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/07/07 at 9:12 pm

I put our furnace on last night, but it smelt like something was burning so I turned it back off right away.  My hubby and his friend said that is normal the first time you put it on for the season.  Something about dust or whatever.  ANYWAYS I guess I'll just be bundled up in blankets and a nice warm cat (when she lets me cuddle her ON HER TERMS). 

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/07/07 at 9:16 pm

I've had it on a few times in the morning.  It's been getting down into the 30's so it's pretty chilly when I wake up.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/07/07 at 9:24 pm

We turned on the heat for the first time last week. This fall has been unusual for VA: temps were summertime-like until mid-October, then we got about three weeks of "fall" weather. It's supposed to drop to 31 here tomorrow through the next few days. Two weeks ago I was in shorts, sweating.  Right now it's 40* outside.

Ant

Written By: KKay on 11/07/07 at 9:32 pm

the smart thing we did was get an electric blanket.
it's great.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 9:39 pm

the smart thing we did was get an electric blanket.
it's great.
we've always had dual control electric blankets and I like my side cooler, whereas Diane sets her side on cremate

Written By: Red Ant on 11/07/07 at 9:40 pm

I put our furnace on last night, but it smelt like something was burning so I turned it back off right away.  My hubby and his friend said that is normal the first time you put it on for the season.  Something about dust or whatever.  ANYWAYS I guess I'll just be bundled up in blankets and a nice warm cat (when she lets me cuddle her ON HER TERMS). 

Yep, it's a normal smell. Dust (and hair) burn off, which creates the awful smell.

Up until about 10 years ago, we had the original oil furnace that came with the hous,  which was built in 1955. It stunk up the whole house when we fired it up the first time each year, not to mention the loud boom it made from igniting roughly 1 gallon of fuel oil each time it was primed. We're lucky it didn't blow up.  ;D

Electric heat is the worst though. We've had units at the hotel set off smoke detectors when the electric heat is turned on for the first time of the year.

whereas Diane sets her side on cremate

LMAO!

Ant

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/07 at 10:01 pm

Well...beings that we need to get a part for our furnace..before it will work properly...the answer is no. However, we have several space heaters that we have been running..because it has been COLD!!!

Written By: nally on 11/07/07 at 10:14 pm

Is it cold by you?  it was 59 in my house when i got home.  I gave in. I fought it and today I caved.

Put your heat on yet?

As a matter of fact, we just turned on our heater last weekend. It's been cold in the house in the morning.

Written By: KKay on 11/07/07 at 10:18 pm

As a matter of fact, we just turned on our heater last weekend. It's been cold in the house in the morning.

it's 40 degrees outside now.  dog loves it. i'm frozen.

Written By: nally on 11/07/07 at 10:20 pm

it's 40 degrees outside now.  dog loves it. i'm frozen.

Out here in California, it hasn't gotten that cold yet. Often times during the winter it might dip that low. 50 is pretty cold here.

Maybe you should put on a sweater or a jacket or something? Just a thought..

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/07 at 11:00 pm

I'm in Canada and right now it's f*cking cold in Canada.  Despite all this, I don't use my heat cause it's just so espensive.  I just bundle myself in blankets and comforters and I am all nice and toasty warm :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/07 at 11:27 pm

LMAO! 

Ant
I've resorted to waiting until she's asleep and then I sneak around and turn her side down

Written By: Midas on 11/07/07 at 11:28 pm

It's been 90-ish here this week.  I'm fighting turning the A/C on!  At least it's decent at night (60's-70's).

Written By: Jessica on 11/07/07 at 11:34 pm

Not yet. Our condo is staying between 67-70 degrees, even with the cold outside. I'm trying to delay turning it on for as long as I can because I don't want to pay extra. :D

We have natural gas through People's Energy, BTW.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/07 at 7:01 am

Chilly this morning and we have our heat vents on.It could be a very cold winter this year so It's definitely useful.Also my skin starts to get very dry,Does that happen to you? ???

Written By: Jessica on 11/08/07 at 9:37 am

Chilly this morning and we have our heat vents on.It could be a very cold winter this year so It's definitely useful.Also my skin starts to get very dry,Does that happen to you? ???

It's already started happening. I hate that. I bought some heavy duty lotion for me and the boy because our skin turns into onion layers during the winter. :P And we use Burt's Bees for our chapped lips. I love that stuff.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/07 at 6:57 pm

We started using the heat a few weeks ago, then we stopped because we had a bit of a heatwave, and now we're back into a coldwave (probably will stay this way until March now). We're going to have a low tonight of 46F. Right now it's 56F and dark outside.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/07 at 7:43 pm

It's already started happening. I hate that. I bought some heavy duty lotion for me and the boy because our skin turns into onion layers during the winter. :P And we use Burt's Bees for our chapped lips. I love that stuff.

Does your face turn warm or change color like a warm red,It happens to me.

Written By: Jessica on 11/08/07 at 11:17 pm

Does your face turn warm or change color like a warm red,It happens to me.

Yep. It's a weird feeling.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/09/07 at 12:33 am

The temperatures here have been higher than average, but are supposed to drop down a bit by next week. Hardly enough to turn on my heater, though.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/07 at 4:05 pm

temperatures here have been a bit below normal.The high is supposed to be 55-60 and it's been in the upper 40's all week.

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/09/07 at 5:49 pm

We've reached 95F today again :P

Written By: Howard on 11/10/07 at 7:00 am

I hope our winter this year won't be as bad as last times.Maybe we won't need the heat on that much.

Check for new replies or respond here...