inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Christmas Story House Tour...who wants to go?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 1:14 am

Hey guys! Did you all know that the actual house that was in the movie, A Christmas Story...is open for tours? It's located in Cleveland, OH. I was thinking about making a trip there for a day (it's only like 2 hours from me)...and I was wondering if any of you fellow Pennsylvanians/Ohio...or anyone else willing to travel...would be interested in a day trip?

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/index.shtml

We could take the tour..maybe have dinner (they actually have a Chinese restaurant out there that is in conjunction with the Christmas Story house tour).

I think it would be fun..is anyone else game?

Subject: Re: A Christmas Story House Tour...who wants to go?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 1:40 am

that sounds like a fun idea, and the Chinese waiters singing Deck The halls would be hilarious

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 1:41 am

that sounds like a fun idea, and the Chinese waiters singing Deck The halls would be hilarious

I know..doesn't it? I wish you all could fly over..and we could have an inthe00's meeting there!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 1:45 am

I know..doesn't it? I wish you all could fly over..and we could have an inthe00's meeting there!!
that would be most excellent. it may happen one day

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 1:46 am

that would be most excellent. it may happen one day

how cool would that be, huh?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 1:49 am

how cool would that be, huh?
it would be very memorable. sadly, there are so many members, so many different places, and so little time. well, we need a miracle. somebody win a huge lottery and finance the whole thing  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 1:51 am

it would be very memorable. sadly, there are so many members, so many different places, and so little time. well, we need a miracle. somebody win a huge lottery and finance the whole thing  ;D

yes..totally. But hey...when I come to California someday...we will all have to meet..mkay?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 1:53 am

yes..totally. But hey...when I come to California someday...we will all have to meet..mkay?
that'd be wonderful

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/14/07 at 3:42 am

Hey guys! Did you all know that the actual house that was in the movie, A Christmas Story...is open for tours? It's located in Cleveland, OH. I was thinking about making a trip there for a day (it's only like 2 hours from me)...and I was wondering if any of you fellow Pennsylvanians/Ohio...or anyone else willing to travel...would be interested in a day trip?

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/index.shtml

We could take the tour..maybe have dinner (they actually have a Chinese restaurant out there that is in conjunction with the Christmas Story house tour).

I think it would be fun..is anyone else game?

DON'T DO IT!!!

You'll put your eye out.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 3:44 am

DON'T DO IT!!!

You'll put your eye out.

;D    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/333439205_6b9112eab2.jpg?v=0

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/14/07 at 4:05 am

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddge!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/14/07 at 4:24 am

I love A Christmas Story.... by far my favorite holiday-themed movie of all time. It would be fun to visit the house where the movie was filmed! :)

Written By: Howard on 11/14/07 at 7:04 am

What about Peter Billingsley,Will he be there?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/07 at 11:36 am

I love the movie but I REALLY, REALLY hate the Cleveland area and if I can avoid that area, I do.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 11:52 am

I love the movie but I REALLY, REALLY hate the Cleveland area and if I can avoid that area, I do.

Cat

awww..that's too bad, Cat. It would have been fun to meet up with ya. :)

I'm wondering...how far Rhonda, Patty, and Brian live from here...I know they are all from Ohio. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/07 at 12:07 pm

awww..that's too bad, Cat. It would have been fun to meet up with ya. :)

I'm wondering...how far Rhonda, Patty, and Brian live from here...I know they are all from Ohio. ???

I know Brian lives just a hop, skip & a jump from Cleveland-in Parma. I know this because unfortunately, that is where my ex is from-which is why I hate that area so much.
Rhonda lives in south Ohio. I know she just recently moved, and I'm not too sure where-but I don't think it is too far from where she used to live. And I have no idea where Patty lives.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 12:09 pm

I know Brian lives just a hop, skip & a jump from Cleveland-in Parma. I know this because unfortunately, that is where my ex is from-which is why I hate that area so much.
Rhonda lives in south Ohio. I know she just recently moved, and I'm not too sure where-but I don't think it is too far from where she used to live. And I have no idea where Patty lives.

Cat

Oh, that's cool (about some of them living rather close). I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to go there...I am the same way with certain towns, etc.
If nobody wants to go..I will probably still go...I've been wanting to visit for awhile. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 12:31 pm

if I went, I would want to enjoy Chinese turkey and have the whole roast duck brought to the table and the waiter chop off the ducks head with a meat cleaver just like in the movie. They serve great tofu & vegetable dishes in Chinese restaurants for those not wanting to gnaw on the ducks head

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 12:33 pm

if I went, I would want to enjoy Chinese turkey and have the whole roast duck brought to the table and the waiter chop off the ducks head with a meat cleaver just like in the movie. They serve great tofu & vegetable dishes in Chinese restaurants for those not wanting to gnaw on the ducks head

and you could listen to them singing, "Deck the halls with boughs of holly...Fa RA RA RA RA" ;D :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 12:35 pm

and you could listen to them singing, "Deck the halls with boughs of holly...Fa RA RA RA RA" ;D :D
I so want to experience that  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 12:36 pm

I so want to experience that  ;D

that would be so great! If I do go...I'll take lots of pics and post them! ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/07 at 1:39 pm

TRUE STORY: Something like 100 years ago, a friend of mine & I took another friend (Jim) out for his birthday to a Chinese restaurant. We told the waitress that it was his birthday and after we ate, there were something like 5 Chinese waitresses came over and sang "Happy Birstday to Sim".  All three of us were trying very hard not to crack up.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 1:40 pm

TRUE STORY: Something like 100 years ago, a friend of mine & I took another friend (Jim) out for his birthday to a Chinese restaurant. We told the waitress that it was his birthday and after we ate, there were something like 5 Chinese waitresses came over and sang "Happy Birstday to Sim".  All three of us were trying very hard not to crack up.

Cat

hahaaha...that's too funnY!! ;D :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/07 at 1:59 pm

I'd so be there if I was close by.  :(

Written By: Brian06 on 11/14/07 at 3:43 pm

Ya I live like 5 minutes from this thing, though I've never been to it before.

Written By: Jessica on 11/14/07 at 4:15 pm

And I have no idea where Patty lives.

Patty lives in Dayton, which is far southwest, almost near the Indiana border.

I would be up for that if I had the fundage. I've been really wanting to see this place and it's only a five hour drive.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/07 at 4:31 pm

You know, even though I haven't seen the movie in ages (it's another nostalgic period piece, a 1983 perspective of the '40s) if you were going, I'd try and make it for that reason. :)

Written By: Jessica on 11/14/07 at 4:48 pm

You know, even though I haven't seen the movie in ages (it's another nostalgic period piece, a 1983 perspective of the '40s) if you were going, I'd try and make it for that reason. :)

Despite what IMDb says, the movie was set in the 30s. In the movie, Ovaltine is the sponsor of the Little Orphan Annie radio show. In real life, Ovaltine was the sponsor until January of 1940, so the latest date that this movie could be based on is December of 1939. And it was probably earlier than that because the story is from Jean Shepherd, was semi-autobiographical, and he graduated from high school in 1939. So it was probably around 1931 or so.

There's your random trivia for the day.

Check for new replies or respond here...