inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it common for people to rebel against the age group they just left?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/07 at 5:59 pm

This is something that's been in the back of my mind for a long time now, although I've come to understand it better over the years. Is it just me, or is there sometimes a tendency of people "hating on" the immediately previous age group?

Like, I've seen teenagers who totally diss things they liked as kids as a "rebellion against childhood"; twentysomethings who cast off their high school years for the sake of feeling grown up, and talking down to current teens; or 40-year olds who trash young adults they work with as "know it all punks". And on and on....although it does tend usually to become less extreme as people get older, since there becomes less of an immediate difference around you.

I know this probably sounds super stereotypical, and by no means am I referring to every person, so I hope this doesn't offend anyone. The only reason I bring it up is because I'm not like that in either direction (sure, I may have been embarrased to like Disney movies when I was 13, because for the life of me I didn't want to be lumped in with 9-year olds...but it wasn't like I had anything against little kids in general), yet I've noticed there are people who are. It just always seems derogatory to me to devalue or talk down to someone younger than you, merely because they have less years on them...or to call someone old and lame for the opposite reason.

Maybe it's the diehard Liberal in me - I just want everyone to get along. ;)

Subject: Re: Is it common for people to rebel against the age group they just left?

Written By: danootaandme on 11/15/07 at 10:04 am

Maybe it's the diehard Liberal in me - I just want everyone to get along. ;)

Nice thought, and I am very much like you, but I don't think it will happen.  Actually I think it is much worse in the USA because of the lack of respect for any and all things not in ones social circle.  We seem to become much more clannish in terms of social and economic divisions, and it is much easier for people to think they are better or smarter or more worthy because of where they fit in within a small clique by disrespecting people outside of their sphere, instead of giving people their due by respecting the differences.  Intellectually lasy is what we have become.

Subject: Re: Is it common for people to rebel against the age group they just left?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/16/07 at 10:01 pm

The only things I "hate on" were things I made sure never to be a part of.

Check for new replies or respond here...