inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think people can sense death?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/07 at 11:33 pm

I know this sounds strange..but I have been thinking about it for awhile. I have heard of many people just somehow "knowing" that they were going to die soon, maybe even that very day. I wonder what kind of signs they get to confirm to themselves that they are near passing away? I mean...I wonder if it is as obvious as the day seeming different than any other? Is it a specific sign...like a certain type of breeze, or a scent? I know obviously not everyone knows the exact day/moment they are going to die...but even people who are in accidents...I wonder if right before they have the accident, do they get some sort of feeling/sign that tells them that this is their last day on Earth? ???

Subject: Re: Do you think people can sense death?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/15/07 at 12:43 am

I don't think so. Back in 1997, my co-worker had a massive heart attack right in front of me and died. He was the last person I would expect to go... 50, good health, mild smoker, rarely drank and was the MOST laid back person I have ever met. I mean nothing rattled this guy. 1:40 am on midnight shift were talking one minute, the next he was dead. Ventricular fibrilation was the cause, a type of heart attack that has only a 2% chance of survival.

There was no cold breeze, no lights that flickered, no black cats, auras, odd sounds, broken mirrors, no "I've got an odd feeling" or "Jack, I'm not feeling well..." or anything else that would seem ominous. Just an average night until that point.

I think those who are very sick probably know they are going to die (and I'm not going to address suicides), but for instant-type deaths, nope, no warning, no sensing, no predictions.

Ant

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 1:05 am

Another thing...have any of you ever thought that you were going to die? I know this sounds so strange...but I mean...have you ever experienced a feeling, like none other..and you feel like at any given moment...you would be no longer around?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/15/07 at 2:17 am

Another thing...have any of you ever thought that you were going to die? I know this sounds so strange...but I mean...have you ever experienced a feeling, like none other..and you feel like at any given moment...you would be no longer around?
feelings and thoughts like these are common in people that experience Anxiety disease or Panic Disorder, and the thoughts of dying are almost overwhelming in their thoughts, and they sometimes can't explain why they feel or think that  :o  I've read a couple of good books on the subject, but it's been awhile.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 2:17 am

feelings and thoughts like these are common in people that experience Anxiety disease or Panic Disorder, and the thoughts of dying are almost overwhelming in their thoughts, and they sometimes can't explain why they feel or think that  :o  I've read a couple of good books on the subject, but it's been awhile.

I've had thoughts like this..and yes, I do have panic attacks and such. :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/15/07 at 2:25 am

I've had thoughts like this..and yes, I do have panic attacks and such. :-\\
I had it bad many years ago. bad bad,  so that any unusual physical or body sensation that doesn't feel normal can make the person think something dreadful or potentially fatal is going on like the beginning of a disease or stroke or clot or heart attack or anything that kills. But where I was sick, now I've been healed , can I get a hallelujah  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 2:31 am

I had it bad many years ago. bad bad,  so that any unusual physical or body sensation that doesn't feel normal can make the person think something dreadful or potentially fatal is going on like the beginning of a disease or stroke or clot or heart attack or anything that kills. But where I was sick, now I've been healed , can I get a hallelujah  ;D

I know those feelings...I've had feelings that I was going to have a heart attack..but it was just anxiety.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/15/07 at 2:32 am

I know those feelings...I've had feelings that I was going to have a heart attack..but it was just anxiety.
the worst is if you have those feelings or thoughts at the most very wrong time, it can be crippling  ;D 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 2:35 am

the worst is if you have those feelings or thoughts at the most very wrong time, it can be crippling  ;D 

yes...totally.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/15/07 at 2:42 am

yes...totally.
this tells me that I suck at sensing death  ;D  the feelings and thoughts I had were false. I went to emergency room at Hospital and had EKG's, various other tests because I knew something was wrong but they never found anything wrong. thank God and thank goodness there's various types of help for people to combat this and overcome it and then we can get to living!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 2:43 am

this tells me that I suck at sensing death  ;D  the feelings and thoughts I had were false. I went to emergency room at Hospital and had EKG's, various other tests because I knew something was wrong but they never found anything wrong. thank God and thank goodness there's various types of help for people to combat this and overcome it and then we can get to living!

yes..because it's not a fun thing to endure.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/15/07 at 2:48 am

yes..because it's not a fun thing to endure.
it was many years of that for me Erin, and that was many years ago & I'm cool now, amazingly

Written By: danootaandme on 11/15/07 at 4:43 am

Occasionaly, I have thoughts that I am going to die. The first time it happened I wasm't scared, but very apprehensive.  It wasn't a full blown panic attack, but it came close, and when I was going through some kind of major transition in my life, a job, a heartache, that kind of crap.  After it happened a couple of times I realized that it didn't appear that these meant I was dying, so I turned it around and figured that maybe it meant that I wasn't dying, maybe it meant that I was starting to live again. Reborn sounds kind of stale, but that is how I think of it.  Whenever I feel that I may die I turn it and think that something has ended and now something new is starting. It isn't easy, it takes a lot of talking yourself into the positive side, but change your focus before the thoughts of death overwhelm you and think of the drek you are leaving behind and how much better it can be.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/07 at 6:35 am

I try not to think about it.Nobody knows when their time is up even me.When my brother had passed away 12 years ago,He went to sleep and never woke up and sometimes I worry about that myself.

Written By: karen on 11/15/07 at 9:48 am

I know that a week or so before my father-in-law passed away he had a day of repeatedly saying "I'm not ready yet"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 9:49 am

I know that a week or so before my father-in-law passed away he had a day of repeatedly saying "I'm not ready yet"

wow Karen..I wonder what feelings he felt, in order to create a response like that?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/07 at 11:05 am

I think some people can sense it-others can't. I also think that some people choose to ignore it, too. It is like E.S.P. I have a friend who is an epileptic. She has told me many times, that she can wake up in the morning and know that she will have a seizure that day.

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/15/07 at 2:56 pm

All the time,but i always tell myself i'll grow really really old,only the good die young and i'm bad to the bone ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/16/07 at 7:23 am

No I don't sense it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/16/07 at 10:18 am

I'll have to think about this more in-depth, but I think it can be true to a point that we can sense these things. Like, I've heard that before old people pass away of natural causes, they can have a certain look to them. Eerily, I heard that my grandpa had this about a month before he died, when we were visiting relatives in Florida.

Speaking of relatives, I admit having had grandparents die at a really young age in my life, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about death and what it was like from time to time. I've always wondered if it feels a certain way, or if it's just instant and you don't know it. Like if one falls asleep the instant before or something?

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/16/07 at 10:52 am

I think it's possible for someone to know if they're going to die.

My mom had been ill for a few years, in and out of the hospital a few times.  I would always ask if she wanted me to fly home and she would always tell me not to.  The last time she was in the hospital, my father called and said he thought I needed to come home (she told my dad she wanted to see me).  I went to visit my mother at the hospital and she kept saying she was going to die and asked for me to pray with her.  The doctors and nurses said my mother was going to be fine.  I left the hospital around 4:00 and at 9:30 that night she passed away.

Did she know?  I'm not sure, but I am happy I got to see her before she died. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/16/07 at 11:30 am

I think my mom and I both knew she was going to die.  She called me the day before and insisted that I come over and get the checkbook and bills and take care of a few things that night so I did.  When I got home, I called my brother's wife and told her he needed to come up here.  When she asked if a couple of weeks later would be okay, I said he should come sooner.  He came home the following morning and she passed at 1:45.  My other brother had arrived at the nursing home at 1:45.  It was almost as if she waited for all of us to be together before she went....

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/16/07 at 7:30 pm

No but cats can.  :D

Written By: Red Ant on 11/16/07 at 7:44 pm

I didn't include any kind of mental disorders that Mike mentioned because they can create a false sense of death. I mean, if one thinks one is going to die every day, eventually that person will be correct.

Although I've been in many bad situations, there were only two that that gave me a feeling that I was going to die immediately. Both involved MQoIS.

I've been depressed before, but suicide or ideation of it doesn't count for sensing death.

I don't discount the severity of panic attacks, stress, mental illness or disease at all.

Ant

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/16/07 at 8:00 pm

My dad had a sense that he was going to die....he told me and my mother many times how much he loved us and to always remember him a couple of days before he passed.

I've never had that feeling myself, about dying. Maybe I will have that same feeling as my father when my time comes.

Check for new replies or respond here...