inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thanksgiving Day explained

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/07 at 3:57 am

For me, I understand that Thanksgiving is a big celebration and holiday, but can as a Brit (in the UK), can my dear friends from across the sea, please inform on how a typical day is spent, what food is precisely eaten, and the true meaning of the day.

Subject: Re: Thanksgiving Day explained

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/07 at 7:14 am

Thanksgiving Day is meant to commemorate a meal that was shared by the pilgrims and native Americans after first harvest after the arrival of the pilgrims in "the New World"  The pilgrims landed in what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620.  Many had died on the crossing, and when they got here they were way out of their league.  Thanks to the natives, one of whom, Squanto, spoke English, having been to England and having traded with English trappers who had been here for decades, the pligrims made it through the first year.  Thanksgiving is meant to give thanks to God for the bountiful harvest.

The tradition, now, is for the family to get together have a large meal. The traditional meal has as a center piece a stuffed turkey which is a wild bird prevalent in New England.  Typical side dishes are cranberry sauce, potatoes, squash, and corn.  Traditional deserts are apple, pumpkin, and mince pie.  There are many variations, of course, but these are the dishes associated with what would be standard for the meal.  There is also the high school football games.  It has become part of the tradition for the local high schools to have a game with the same opposing team every year.  Today most high schools will have a pep rally, then the kids get out of school early.  Tomorrow(Thanksgiving) the news coverage will be all about the different rivalries and how they fared.

There is a lot of controversy with the holiday.  It was really begun by the descendants of the Pilgrims who wanted to highlight their ancestors in an almost god like fashion, and the reality of what went on during those first years isn't quite as glowing as they would have it seem, but that is a whole other issue.

Written By: KKay on 11/21/07 at 7:18 am

and, as i s the case with other holidays, the meaning is often lost.  but many people express their being "thankful" for all they have and for their family and friends.
we eat dinner,  watch footbball, and meet up at bars in the evening...but most fiolks I know tend to discuss the idea that they counted their blessings.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/07 at 7:25 am

It's about giving thanks to the wonderful people in our lives and tho those who put an influence on us.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/07 at 7:28 am

and, as i s the case with other holidays, the meaning is often lost.  but many people express their being "thankful" for all they have and for their family and friends.
we eat dinner,  watch footbball, and meet up at bars in the evening...but most fiolks I know tend to discuss the idea that they counted their blessings.

A lot of people will have their meal, then sit around planning tomorrows shopping strategy.  Some will get ready for the stores that are planning on opening late in the afternoon, how nice for the people who work for those places.  >:(

Written By: KKay on 11/21/07 at 7:29 am

A lot of people will have their meal, then sit around planning tomorrows shopping strategy.  Some will get ready for the stores that are planning on opening late in the afternoon, how nice for the people who work for those places.  >:(

I won't be shopping...i'll be sleeping.

something tells me you wont be having a fun "black friday".

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/07 at 7:33 am

I will.  I will be home eating leftovers, go wout for a drive with Sig.

Written By: KKay on 11/21/07 at 7:33 am

I will.  I will be home eating leftovers, go wout for a drive with Sig.

sounds great!

Written By: Howard on 11/21/07 at 7:33 am

My Friday won't be fun.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/07 at 7:58 am

Ugh...I'll be getting up at 4 am...in order to be at work at 5:45 am...on black Friday. :(

Written By: KKay on 11/21/07 at 7:59 am

Ugh...I'll be getting up at 4 am...in order to be at work at 5:45 am...on black Friday. :(

Black Friday explained:  the day after Thanksgiving is a big shopping day, lots of sales.  Since the shops make money and get "back in the black", it's called Black Friday

Written By: karen on 11/21/07 at 8:01 am

It's like Christmas without all the presents as far as I can tell.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/07 at 8:01 am

Black Friday explained:  the day after Thanksgiving is a big shopping day, lots of sales.  Since the shops make money and get "back in the black", it's called Black Friday

I'll be drinking lots of coffee that day!! :D

Written By: KKay on 11/21/07 at 8:02 am

I'll be drinking lots of coffee that day!! :D

I'm sure!  I rarely shop that day- too hectic.
The guys are all going hunting so Bode and I can lay around all day Friday!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/21/07 at 8:06 am

it's also a bit of an urban legend too.  Due to severe discounting and a perception that the stores will be mobbed, the busiest days all tend to be in December.

Thanksgiving is basically a day to eat a big meal and lay around all day watching TV because the turkey makes you sleepy.  It's on Thursday to give everyone an excuse to take Friday off, unless of course you work in the retail sector. Stores opening on Thursday, hoping to lure people out shopping after their big lunch, are lower than dirt.  I refuse to shop in any.

The day before Thanksgiving is the busiest travel day of the year.  Whenever I have a job that requires me to drive on the Mass Pike, I take the day before Thanksgiving off.  It's usually bumper to bumper from around 2PM until 8PM all the way from Boston to the New York line.  It's insane.  Today I'll be taking side streets home to insure I don't even cross a regular state road that runs parallel to it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/21/07 at 8:11 am

and of course, bitching about traffic on the Pike is ok in this thread, due to their old logo

I'd love an old Pike sign with the arrow still in it... even if it isn't considered PC

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/07 at 9:30 am

and of course, bitching about traffic on the Pike is ok in this thread, due to their old logo

I'd love an old Pike sign with the arrow still in it... even if it isn't considered PC

I liked that one, too. 

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/07 at 10:12 am

You have my deepest sympathies. I worked Black Friday for Target back in 2005. It SUCKED. I also worked a lot of the major holiday weekends. As a result, I refuse to go shopping on Black Friday (I might browse if I'm around stores) or really any other weekends during this time of year, unless it's for groceries. My Christmas shopping is done, and I plan on using Friday to sleep off my turkey coma.

We've started a tradition around here. I cook a massive meal for us and two of our friends. We rent some movies, play video games, and just generally have a good time and give thanks for being here. It's great fun. Then we go with them to watch their dog run in the dog trials in Merrillville on Saturday. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 11:27 am

Another Thanksgiving tradition is after eating so much that you feel like you are going to puke, you watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in NYC & then football. In my family, we didn't watch football (at least us kids didn't) so we watched March of the Wooden Soldiers on TV.

Usually the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday-which others have mentioned about the "shop 'til you drop" attitude) is when many people start putting up the Christmas decorations-and in the U.S. it is officially the start of the Christmas season. Bah humbug!

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/21/07 at 11:45 am

Thankgiving is the day when you travel four hours to see relatives you normally try to avoid.  Stuff yourself with turkey.  Watch the Macy's parade.  Make excuses as to why you can/shouldn't do dishes.  Then there is Black Friday as mentioned.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/21/07 at 12:29 pm

Usually the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday-which others have mentioned about the "shop 'til you drop" attitude) is when many people start putting up the Christmas decorations-and in the U.S. it is officially the start of the Christmas season. Bah humbug!

Christmas decorations... damn, I knew there was something I had to do this weekend...

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/07 at 12:49 pm

Christmas decorations... damn, I knew there was something I had to do this weekend...

I'll be doing the same thing. But I've got to figure out a way to hang lights in the windows without using nails or thumbtacks in the wood. Wouldn't want to lower the property value. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/07 at 1:01 pm

So the meal is similar to the Christmas meal we have in the UK, and how it sound you all go shopping the day after, which is something done here on Boxing Day, if a shop can be found open.

For some of it means Christmas is getting nearer. Does that mean you go through it all again at Christmas?

Please enjoy your day.

Written By: ninny on 11/21/07 at 1:08 pm

Black friday sucks if you work at a fast food restaurant as well,when i worked at Arbys you soon learned to take the day off,because it was busier than H...

Written By: KKay on 11/21/07 at 1:23 pm

So the meal is similar to the Christmas meal we have in the UK, and how it sound you all go shopping the day after, which is something done here on Boxing Day, if a shop can be found open.

For some of it means Christmas is getting nearer. Does that mean you go through it all again at Christmas?

Please enjoy your day.

basically, yes. a whole new meal, new parties, etc.

they are just very close together...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 1:28 pm

Please enjoy your day.

You won't catch me anywhere near a store the weekend after Thanksgiving. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 11/21/07 at 1:41 pm

Please enjoy your day.

Pretty much.  Because my dad prefers turkey to ham, we have turkey on both (I would rather have ham, personally).  The difference is that on Black Friday the stores open at 4 a.m., 5 a.m., etc. so people can buy tons of stuff at special sale prices.  The day after Christmas, everyone is rushing the stores to return items and use the gift cards they got for Christmas.  The day after Christmas is also a good day to buy Christmas decorations because they are on sale.  We don't have very many decorations (very small apt), but we'll put them out when we get home on Sunday.  It is this time of year most of all that makes me grateful I no longer work in retail (not that we had the same volume that the malls do, etc., but enough).

Thank you, Philip.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/07 at 1:42 pm

Thankgiving is the day when you travel four hours to see relatives you normally try to avoid.  Stuff yourself with turkey.  Watch the Macy's parade.  Make excuses as to why you can/shouldn't do dishes.  Then there is Black Friday as mentioned.

In a nutshell.

You see relatives you dislike, have an argument with your conservative/liberal brother in law/cousin get angry because your football team loses and then go home stuffed. ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 11/21/07 at 1:45 pm

You won't catch me anywhere near a store the weekend after Thanksgiving. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid.

Cat

Me either.  I don't want to have to get up at 2 a.m., to be at a store at 3 a.m. when it opens at 5 a.m. to TRY to get one of something they only have 10 of to begin with.  I would rather sleep in and relax.  I do most of my shopping on-line anyway.

Written By: KKay on 11/21/07 at 1:46 pm

christmas decorations?
wow...that's good for you but a bit early for me.
maybe the weekend before that holiday..even then we only have on estring of lights.

i feel a thread coming on.

Written By: nally on 11/21/07 at 1:49 pm

christmas decorations?

Me too. I think it's too early to put 'em up in November myself. Why? Because I like to enjoy the fall season, and not rush the Chrismtas stuff.

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/21/07 at 1:49 pm

In a nutshell.

You see relatives you dislike, have an argument with your conservative/liberal brother in law/cousin get angry because your football team loses and then go home stuffed. ;D

And this is something truly UNIVERSAL!
But americans are so family oriented they do it twice :o Or maybe you guys just really,really love to eat...

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/07 at 1:51 pm

And this is something truly UNIVERSAL!
But americans are so family oriented they do it twice :o Or maybe you guys just really,really love to eat...

Gluttons for punishment.

My mother used to insist we have Thanksgiving dinner even when we lived in England, I never understood it, we'd see my Dad's family once a year.. and that was it. I used to voice the opinion "If you want to see them at Thanksgiving, why don't you want to see them any other time?" 'shuttup, go play with your friends.'

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/21/07 at 1:54 pm

Gluttons for punishment.

My mother used to insist we have Thanksgiving dinner even when we lived in England, I never understood it, we'd see my Dad's family once a year.. and that was it. I used to voice the opinion "If you want to see them at Thanksgiving, why don't you want to see them any other time?" 'shuttup, go play with your friends.'

;D
Your mom rocks,Rock ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/07 at 1:55 pm

Please enjoy your day.

Pretty much, except at Christmas you buy things for people that they can return to the stores the day after Christmas because it is something the do not want or need.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/07 at 1:57 pm

;D
Your mom rocks,Rock ;)

It was usually around Thanksgiving and chritmas she'd throw spoons and cheese at me as well when I was pestering.

Written By: Paul on 11/21/07 at 2:09 pm

If a shop can be found open?

I'd be more surprised if you found one shut on Boxing Day in this day and age!

Nothing like ye dark days of yore, where everything (and I do mean everything), would shut down over the entire Christmas period for about half a week! Shops, petrol garages, banks (before ATMs)...the lot!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/21/07 at 2:17 pm

It's like Christmas without all the presents as far as I can tell.

Yes, that's also how I look at it...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/07 at 2:22 pm

Nothing like ye dark days of yore, where everything (and I do mean everything), would shut down over the entire Christmas period for about half a week! Shops, petrol garages, banks (before ATMs)...the lot!
..and the BBC just showed the repeated films on tv.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/07 at 2:23 pm

Yes, that's also how I look at it...
Decorations optional?

Written By: Paul on 11/21/07 at 2:24 pm

..and the BBC just showed the repeated films on tv.

Some things never change then!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/21/07 at 2:39 pm

Decorations optional?

Christmas is the only time when I really decorate the house...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 2:40 pm

Pretty much.  Because my dad prefers turkey to ham, we have turkey on both (I would rather have ham, personally).  The difference is that on Black Friday the stores open at 4 a.m., 5 a.m., etc. so people can buy tons of stuff at special sale prices.  The day after Christmas, everyone is rushing the stores to return items and use the gift cards they got for Christmas.  The day after Christmas is also a good day to buy Christmas decorations because they are on sale.  We don't have very many decorations (very small apt), but we'll put them out when we get home on Sunday.  It is this time of year most of all that makes me grateful I no longer work in retail (not that we had the same volume that the malls do, etc., but enough).

Thank you, Philip.

I like to have turkey on both days but my step-kids like to have a pork roast on Christmas. We had Christmas here 2 years ago with the kids. I wanted turkey and it was my step-son who said that he would like turkey so that is what we had. 2 of my step-daughters (the other wasn't there) bitched throughout the meal that we were having turkey instead of a pork roast. I wanted to deck both of them.  >:(  I don't know if we are going to do Christmas here again this year and I can see it happening again.  ::)

christmas decorations?
maybe the weekend before that holiday..even then we only have on estring of lights.

We don't put up decorations until about a week or so before Christmas-if we decide to put any up at all.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/21/07 at 3:11 pm

I like to have turkey on both days but my step-kids like to have a pork roast on Christmas. We had Christmas here 2 years ago with the kids. I wanted turkey and it was my step-son who said that he would like turkey so that is what we had. 2 of my step-daughters (the other wasn't there) bitched throughout the meal that we were having turkey instead of a pork roast. I wanted to deck both of them.  >:(  I don't know if we are going to do Christmas here again this year and I can see it happening again.  ::)

Cat

As much as I love turkey, I tend to get sick of it pretty fast...so for that reason I prefer to have Roast Beef/Yorkshire Pudding on Christmas... :)

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/07 at 3:20 pm

I put our decorations up the day after Thanksgiving. It's tradition in our family and I like the way the lights look. It also feels like the holiday season rushes by so fast (too busy cooking/wrapping presents/entertaining) that I don't get to enjoy the decorations at all. So they go up Friday and stay up until January 6th.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/21/07 at 4:23 pm

christmas decorations?

I've been buying outdoor light sets on the day after Christmas for ages... now that the porch is finished, it's time to show off both the lights and the porch!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/21/07 at 7:01 pm

I found a Turkey Trivia fact that Americans consume over 675 million pounds of turkey on Thanksgiving Day.  :o

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/21/07 at 8:28 pm

I'll be spending Thanksgiving with my family and friends, and cook lots of good food! As far as Black Friday.....I think I'll do what I've been doing for years....sleep in!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 1:08 am

In the warmer parts of the USA, can barbeque's be had in gardens?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/07 at 1:10 am

absolutely and many people will be cooking their turkeys or other food on outdoor cookers, something I have done a few times before, but i prefer roast turkey in a conventional oven. much more traditional and less attention is needed.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/07 at 7:24 am

and I have to work as well.  :(

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/22/07 at 8:17 am

yup, people throughout the south will be setting their houses on fire, because they try to use a flimsy oil cooker to deep fry their turkey.  Usually from overfilling it and having it in a garage or somewhere else that can catch fire.  The really stupid people, try to deep fry a frozen turkey... those become cannons!

I did it one year, just to see how it worked.  It was different, but nothing I needed to repeat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 8:19 am

Are Brussell Sprouts served with the main meal of the day?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/22/07 at 9:36 am

I guess they could be... basically, aside from turkey, any vegetable can be a side dish.  Mash potatoes are a must, because usually there is gravy from the turkey to use on it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 9:39 am

I guess they could be... basically, aside from turkey, any vegetable can be a side dish.  Mash potatoes are a must, because usually there is gravy from the turkey to use on it.
When we have turkey at Christmas it is Brussell Sprouts served with other vegetables. The potatoes are usually roasted but the idea of mashed potatoes sounds more delicious.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/07 at 10:59 am

When we have turkey at Christmas it is Brussell Sprouts served with other vegetables. The potatoes are usually roasted but the idea of mashed potatoes sounds more delicious.
Yams are a seasonal favorite.Diane's aunt makes them every year & they're wonderful, sliced and baked in the oven with brown sugar and butter drizzled on them. but at our house, we always have mashed potatoes & gravy. Brussell sprouts must be a English thing  ???

also depending on who it is, ethinic cuicines may be served like today, there may be some Chinese fried rice

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/07 at 12:12 pm

I like Brussels sprouts.  :-[  And it could be.

But, corn and/or green beans are usually more traditional.  And yams/sweet potatoes.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:24 pm

I like Brussels sprouts.  :-[  And it could be.

But, corn and/or green beans are usually more traditional.  And yams/sweet potatoes.

Cat
Are Brussell Sprouts out os season till December?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/07 at 12:29 pm

Are Brussell Sprouts out os season till December?

Here in the north, the growing season is basically over (unless it is grown in a green house). Most of our produce is imported (from other states that is-and maybe some from other countries  :-\\ )

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:32 pm

..and this meal celebrates the first meal of the Pilgrim Fathers on which is now US land.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/07 at 12:41 pm

..and this meal celebrates the first meal of the Pilgrim Fathers on which is now US land.

No, it celebrates the first YEAR they were here. That year was hard for them-many died. If it wasn't for the Native Americans, they wouldn't have survived. Thanksgiving was celebrated to give thanks for the first harvest. It was basically a 3 day celebration and the Native Americans ate the pilgrims out of house and home.  :D ;D ;D  But they reciprocated by providing venison, fish, and of course turkey.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:43 pm

No, it celebrates the first YEAR they were here. That year was hard for them-many died. If it wasn't for the Native Americans, they wouldn't have survived. Thanksgiving was celebrated to give thanks for the first harvest. It was basically a 3 day celebration and the Native Americans ate the pilgrims out of house and home.  :D ;D ;D  But they reciprocated by providing venison, fish, and of course turkey.

Cat
Thanks, that explains it for me.

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 12:50 pm

I found a Turkey Trivia fact that Americans consume over 675 million pounds of turkey on Thanksgiving Day.  :o

That would be...about 2.25 pounds (roughly 1,000 grams) each? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/07 at 1:10 pm

Yup.  We have it for dinner, then pick at the remains for the rest of the day. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 1:12 pm

Has anyone said anything about Turkey Sandwiches yet?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/22/07 at 1:13 pm

Then there are the leftovers for the rest of the week, cleverly disguised as meals.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 1:13 pm

Then there are the leftovers for the rest of the week, cleverly disguised as meals.
Put it in the curry!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/07 at 1:15 pm

Put it in the curry!

Yes, and sandwiches, chili, soup, burritos, hash.....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/22/07 at 1:26 pm

Yes, and sandwiches, chili, soup, burritos, hash.....

Don't forget turkey pot pie.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/07 at 2:12 pm

Whenever we do make a turkey, there is always a fight afterwards. Carlos LOVE turkey pot pie (actually any meat pie) and I don't care for any meat pie.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/07 at 6:12 pm

whoa, that's a lot. well, I didn't say to trust me or my facts  ;D  maybe it's a little bit less

...I make something that is a bit unusual but undeniably tasty. I take a good portion of the skin from the turkey and cut it into 2 inch pieces and put it in the oven on a cookie rack so the oil can drip off and make it into a cracklin, but much more flavorful. the fat has been rendered and what's left is a crispy piece of skin. you don't want to eat too much because it's still fattening, but they're hecka good.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/07 at 7:25 am

or turkey jerky.

Written By: KKay on 11/23/07 at 7:43 am

I always had a Thanksgiving with a norwegian twist...add herring and pearl onions to the mix...and a few shots of Aquavit (danish vodka).
YUM!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/24/07 at 3:32 am

I always had a Thanksgiving with a norwegian twist...add herring and pearl onions to the mix...and a few shots of Aquavit (danish vodka).
YUM!
I'd like to try it with a norwegian twist.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/07 at 5:36 am

I'd like to try it with a norwegian twist.

Or maybe with a twisted Norwegian  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...