inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Local jumps from really big bridge- how common is this?

Written By: KKay on 11/27/07 at 7:29 am

What's going on?  2 in two weeks?  Wow... any take on this?

Death plunge from V-N raises questions
by Staten Island Advance
Monday November 26, 2007, 11:21 PM

A man abandoned his car on the upper deck of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge yesterday afternoon and stepped into the fog -- and eternity.

As of last night, police were still piecing together the how's and why's of the apparent suicide.

The body of the unidentified man, believed to be in his mid-30s, was recovered from the waters of the Upper New York Bay by a Coast Guard patrol boat at about 3:30 p.m., police said.

Police impounded the car and closed one lane in each direction on the bridge's upper deck while they investigated.

The lanes were reopened in time for rush hour , but not before traffic had backed up for miles in both directions.

It's the second bridge suicide in two weeks.

Subject: Re: Local jumps from really big bridge- how common is this?

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/27/07 at 7:42 am

It's fairly common, I think.  It happens around here a couple times a year it seems...

Written By: KKay on 11/27/07 at 8:02 am

I guess.  I recently began a thread about the film that documents the jumpers from the Golden Gate...but two in a short time  in my neck of the woods is sad to me.  I have not heard of this here since the 80s.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/07 at 8:53 am

Sometimes one sill spark a rash of copycats.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/27/07 at 1:56 pm

Here in KC there's several bridges that span the Missouri River, and every so often someone will jump off of one.

Written By: La Roche on 11/27/07 at 2:17 pm

Same here, every couple of months somebody takes a splash in to the Mississippi.

It's a bit crap really though, because some of them survive and then take up valuable hospital beds.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 2:22 pm

There's a proposal in Santa Barbara to put a camera on a bridge here because its the one people chose to jump from. . .

I'm not sure who they expect to monitor the bridge its a little far out so that once someone is there to jump I doubt the Sheriff Deputies can get their in time... I suppose its so we know someone jumped so that citizens don't have to stumble across the body while hiking.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/07 at 3:39 pm

What does jumping off a bridge have to solve anything?  ??? ::)

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 3:49 pm

It doesn't really- I heard somewhere this week that they knew a guy who jumped off a bridge- he was fortunate enough to survive... he said that in the moment when he jumped he realized that all the problems he was trying to escape were only temporary... I wonder how many people who didn't survive had the same realization?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/07 at 11:12 pm

I don't know..but the mood I am in tonight...I wish I had a bridge closer to me. ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 11/27/07 at 11:17 pm

I don't know..but the mood I am in tonight...I wish I had a bridge closer to me. ::)

Must be in the air... who do you want to throw off a bridge?  ;)

There are very few bridges in the area of sufficient height to jump off of and expect to die. The Varina-Enon bridge is pretty high up, and death would be certain - I think there's maybe 5 feet of water under it at low tide.

Ant

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/07 at 11:18 pm

Must be in the air... who do you want to throw off a bridge?   ;)

There are very few bridges in the area of sufficient height to jump off of and expect to die. The Varina-Enon bridge is pretty high up, and death would be certain - I think there's maybe 5 feet of water under it at low tide.

Ant

myself. Not literally...but you know how that goes sometimes. ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 11/27/07 at 11:26 pm

Oh.. Yeah, I know what you mean though. I occasionally run those thoughts through my head, but always get caught up at the "why are you thinking this?" part. I realize there is someone directly responsible for me feeling bad, and that if there is any justice in the world they would jump first... perhaps with some help on my end. I worry at the moment they hypothetically jump that I'd feel better and not follow through myself. And that's murder. And murder is wrrooooong.  :P

Semi-joking aside, I know you're still going through some really tough and trying times. Karma to you. And please stay away from bridges.  :)

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 11:29 pm

Ant's right it's much better to throw someone else off the bridge!  Do that- I'll provide the alibi  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/07 at 11:40 pm

Oh.. Yeah, I know what you mean though. I occasionally run those thoughts through my head, but always get caught up at the "why are you thinking this?" part. I realize there is someone directly responsible for me feeling bad, and that if there is any justice in the world they would jump first... perhaps with some help on my end. I worry at the moment they hypothetically jump that I'd feel better and not follow through myself. And that's murder. And murder is wrrooooong.  :P

Semi-joking aside, I know you're still going through some really tough and trying times. Karma to you. And please stay away from bridges.  :)

Ant

Ant's right it's much better to throw someone else off the bridge!  Do that- I'll provide the alibi  ;)

thank you...hugs to you both. :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/28/07 at 2:16 am

If someone did a cannonball while jumping off one of those bridges then would their head pop off when they hit the water?  ???

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/07 at 6:50 am

A few years ago in Boston a guy murdered his wife and unborn son, you may have heard about it.  Charles Stuart murdered his wife Carol and blamed it on an African American causing a big stir and some ugly incidents.  Anyway, his brother ended up telling the truth, and Charles was found floating under the Mystic River Bridge.  The "official" story is that he jumped.  The "unofficial" story is that he was helped.  Locals now call the area under the bride "Stuarts Landing"

Written By: Howard on 11/28/07 at 7:21 am

to throw someone off? ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/07 at 7:41 am

to throw someone off? ???

Nope.

Written By: KKay on 11/28/07 at 7:44 am

If someone did a cannonball while jumping off one of those bridges then would their head pop off when they hit the water?  ???

I  bet it would.

Written By: La Roche on 11/28/07 at 1:43 pm

I  bet it would.

I hope it would.

Written By: karen on 11/28/07 at 3:18 pm

So if someone jumped of a bridge in Paris would you call them in Seine?  :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 5:16 pm

A few years ago in Boston a guy murdered his wife and unborn son, you may have heard about it.  Charles Stuart murdered his wife Carol and blamed it on an African American causing a big stir and some ugly incidents.  Anyway, his brother ended up telling the truth, and Charles was found floating under the Mystic River Bridge.  The "official" story is that he jumped.  The "unofficial" story is that he was helped.  Locals now call the area under the bride "Stuarts Landing"

I remember when it happened wasn't there a rescue 911 film crew shooting around the corner?

I also remember Marky Mark referencing these events in his song WildSide.

Written By: La Roche on 11/28/07 at 5:28 pm

So if someone jumped of a bridge in Paris would you call them in Seine?  :D

Get your coat.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/30/07 at 1:26 am

It doesn't really- I heard somewhere this week that they knew a guy who jumped off a bridge- he was fortunate enough to survive... he said that in the moment when he jumped he realized that all the problems he was trying to escape were only temporary... I wonder how many people who didn't survive had the same realization?

If the only problem in your life is "How can I survive impact with a large body of water when falling at terminal velocity?", rest assured -- one way or another, your problems are indeed temporary.

Check for new replies or respond here...