inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where Does it Snow in your State/Territory/Province?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/27/07 at 11:29 am

Since I live in California, most of our snow hits the Sierras and sometimes it dusts some of the deserts.

Subject: Re: Where Does it Snow in your State/Territory/Province?

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/07 at 11:31 am

It snows all over Ontario during the winter, though some years we don't get as much as snow as many people expect Canada to get

When we do get snow, it is like deep freeze cold

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/27/07 at 11:41 am

It snows all over Ontario during the winter, though some years we don't get as much as snow as many people expect Canada to get

When we do get snow, it is like deep freeze cold

Yeah, I can understand those snows have got to be rather bad. I was thinking the other night how on earth my Grandma would trek out into the snow to use the outhouse (they didn't have a bathroom in their home) in the middle of a snow storm in North Dakota.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/27/07 at 11:43 am

Usually in Indiana, snow can fall anywhere.... It snows in Indianapolis, anywhere... Although it usually snows more heavily in northern Indiana.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/27/07 at 12:09 pm

It snows everywhere in Massachusetts, though the Cape doesn't get nearly as much as the rest of the state. 

Last year it barely snowed at all, so I expect we'll get buried with snow this year.

Pretty much the whole year is game for snow here.  It's rare, but we've gotten snow as late as June, and as early as the middle of October.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/07 at 12:21 pm

Snow in Central London is a rare thing. It does snow, but due to the pipes, tubes and whatever is underground the snow does not stay laid for long.

Written By: Tia on 11/27/07 at 12:32 pm

where i live, it snows on the ground. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/07 at 12:37 pm

Everywhere. We have had two dustings already but on the mountains there is quite a bit-but I'm not too sure if that is natural or man-made-could be both.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 11/27/07 at 1:14 pm

Pretty much all over our state. We had a little bit last week, and we're supposed to get a few inches this weekend. Whee.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/07 at 1:21 pm

I live in Pennsylvania....so it snows all over the state. It's a lot worse in the mountainous areas though. We have had flurries so far this year...but nothing severe, yet. We used to get SO much snow when I was younger....but it has eased up so much. The bad thing is that we get a lot of ice storms..and those are murder to drive in. :-\\

Written By: karen on 11/27/07 at 1:27 pm

I'm told it gets quite deep here sometimes.  So far we've had a tiny amount that melted the same day.

Written By: ninny on 11/27/07 at 1:38 pm

I live in NY state snows pretty much everywhere here.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/27/07 at 2:21 pm

I'm in Hawaii, and we don't see any snow here on Oahu (for obvious reasons)...

...but the Big Island has two 12,000+ ft. mountains, and they do get snow high on the summit during the cooler months... 

Written By: Henk on 11/27/07 at 3:34 pm

We don't get snow too often, and it's usually not a lot either (think inches, certainly not foot). When it snows, this rarely covers the entire country (although we're only a small country). It's usually the more inland provinces that get their share.

Every now and then though, we get a fair amount. Doesn't last very long...couple of days, and it's gone completely.

Last time we were severely struck by snow was in 1979/1980 - we even had a blizzard, and parts of the country were isolated for several days. Mind you, this mainly affected the northern provinces (Groningen, Drenthe, Friesland and North Holland).

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/07 at 3:36 pm

We don't get snow too often, and it's usually not a lot either (think inches, certainly not foot). When it snows, this rarely covers the entire country (although we're only a small country). It's usually the more inland provinces that get their share.

Every now and then though, we get a fair amount. Doesn't last very long...couple of days, and it's gone completely.

Last time we were severely struck by snow was in 1979/1980 - we even had a blizzard, and parts of the country were isolated for several days. Mind you, this mainly affected the northern provinces (Groningen, Drenthe, Friesland and North Holland).
You have no mountains to capture the snow clouds in The Netherlands.

Written By: Henk on 11/27/07 at 3:46 pm

You have no mountains to capture the snow clouds in The Netherlands.

Sometimes I wish we had mountains...and real winters. :\'( (Not that I like the cold very much, but snow & ice give me a good excuse to stay in  ;))

Sorry...that should be 1978/1979 winter. :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/07 at 3:48 pm

Sometimes I wish we had mountains...and real winters. :\'( (Not that I like the cold very much, but snow & ice give me a good excuse to stay in  ;))

Sorry...that should be 1978/1979 winter. :-[
Thinking back snow and ice is associated with The Netherlands, for it was a game on ice, hitting a ball like object into a hole in the ice, was the origin of the game of golf, then the Scots pinched it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/07 at 3:50 pm

Thinking back snow and ice is associated with The Netherlands, for it was a game on ice, hitting a ball like object into a hole in the ice, was the origin of the game of golf, then the Scots pinched it.
Something like this.

http://www.hobbsgolfcollection.com/photos/page2/golf_on_ice.jpg

Written By: Henk on 11/27/07 at 4:00 pm

Something like this.

http://www.hobbsgolfcollection.com/photos/page2/golf_on_ice.jpg

I've never seen anyone play a game like that on ice. :-\\ Maybe it's because we don't get ice too often either...Or maybe we've just completely forgotten all about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/07 at 4:06 pm

I've never seen anyone play a game like that on ice. :-\\ Maybe it's because we don't get ice too often either...Or maybe we've just completely forgotten all about it.
This picture represents 14th to 17th Centuries. Back then The Thames in London used to freeze over.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/07 at 4:23 pm

New York gets a lot of snow and during blizzards we could get up to a foot or more of the white stuff. :o

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/27/07 at 4:25 pm

Snows on the flat about once a year. On the hills, 3-4 times a year. On the mountains, almost constant for 2 months at least.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/27/07 at 4:27 pm

Snows on the flat about once a year. On the hills, 3-4 times a year. On the mountains, almost constant for 2 months at least.
Granted this year it was more like: Never snowed on the flat. On the hills, 2 times this year. On the mountains, almost constant for 1 month or less.

Global Warming?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/07 at 6:16 am

If it snows in London, I will make sure that I post a picture of the Abbey Road Crossing in the snow.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/07 at 6:30 am

When It snows in New York,It's almost like New York is stranded for a day.

Check for new replies or respond here...