inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Latest Concert Last Night

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 3:26 am

Last night I attended (with my son) a concert at the Royal Festival Hall in London which features the works of two German composers, Matthias Pinscher’s Five Orchestral Pieces, composed in 1997, and Beethoven’s 9th Symphony in D minor, op 125 “Choral”.

Pinscher’s breakthrough work was only the second time it has been played in the UK, where the first time it was for the BBC, last night was the official UK Premier. This modern piece consisted of music we called “Crash Bang Wallop”, a screech on a double bass, followed by a bang on a cymbal, etc, it had no melody. No wonder it has not been played for ten years. I was beginning to wonder if both of the featured composers for the concert must have been deaf. During the interval I overheard one member of the audience say “At least the acoustics of the auditorium made it sound better”.

Beethoven’s 9th, a masterpiece in it’s own right, and pleasing to hear after the kafuffle beforehand. Played in a true professional manner. I will not go into the major details of the work itself, but hearing it live, the acoustics in the auditorium made the sound of each instrument stand out more. I even heard sections like the bassoon in the final movement much clearer and had not noticed on several recordings at home. The soloists and choir sung perfectly, only two of the soloists read from a music score.  It was interesting to note that the percussion section was made up of three players, a large drum, cymbals and a triangle, the three musicians sat through the whole work, only to place in the March and Coda of the final movement. The march was famously used by Stanley Kubrick for the record shop scene in A Clockwork Orange (played by Wendy Carlos).

We left home later and had to rush there through central London by car, held up in traffic, grabbing a sandwich and water to eat and drink fifteen minutes before the concert started, we where in are seats with three minutes spare, and then wonder with the music of the first half, we could had not rushed, had a quick meal and missed the first half.

A good evening was had and what made it more pleasurable was that when we got back to the car, we found that it had not been clamped.

Pictures to follow.

Subject: Re: My Latest Concert Last Night

Written By: Gis on 12/02/07 at 4:49 am

Very nice Philip, I haven't done a good classical concert for too long now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 5:35 am

With it being "The Choral" Symphony by Beethoven the words (in English and German) to Schiller's Ode to Joy were printed in the programme. I had to say why the words can we join in like Kare-oke?

Written By: Howard on 12/02/07 at 6:44 am

Who was there?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 6:47 am

Who was there?
Oh yes, it was the London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir, conducted by Christoph Eschenbach.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 10:21 am

As promised, a picture taken after the Beethoven had finished, awith applause all round and the female soloists are about to receive bouquets of flowers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/07 at 2:17 pm

You should be a music critic, Philip. Glad you had a good time.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 2:22 pm

You should be a music critic, Philip. Glad you had a good time.

Cat
I do not think I will make a good music critic for I left out the name of the orchestra and conductor out of the original write up.

Even the music was unbearable in the first half, I still enjoyed the concert.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 2:27 pm

Another line I said to my son last night was that the orchestra played better in the second half.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 2:42 am

Beethoven's 9th is on again at the Barbican at Christmas Time and the tickets for that are more expensive. I think I will hold back on "The Choral" till The Proms next year.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/03/07 at 2:49 am

Oh yes, it was the London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir, conducted by Christoph Eschenbach.
it sounds like this part  Beethoven’s 9th Symphony in D minor, op 125 “Choral was wonderful. glad you enjoyed it. i have a Christmas CD by the London Philharmonic. they're very good. I don;t recognize classical music or composers very well, but I appreciate the music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 2:53 am

BTW, last night, the online radio station Beethoven.com played all of Beethoven's Symphonies in order, took almost over 5 hours to play and I did hear all, except the 8th when we had dinner.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/03/07 at 2:54 am

BTW, last night, the online radio station Beethoven.com played all of Beethoven's Symphonies in order, took almost over 5 hours to play and I did hear all, except the 8th when we had dinner.
that must have been nice, classical music calms me, & soothes the savage beast within me

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 2:55 am

that must have been nice, classical music calms me, & soothes the savage beast within me
Today, I will be cold turkey, what else can I listen to?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/03/07 at 2:57 am

you heard all but the 8th. If it were me I'd go for some Tchaikovsky, or some British rock

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 2:59 am

you heard all but the 8th. If it were me I'd go for some Tchaikovsky, or some British rock
At the moment it is Radio2 (Terry Wogan) with easy records played to listen to.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/03/07 at 3:01 am

At the moment it is Radio2 (Terry Wogan) with easy records played to listen to.
music to live by

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 3:03 am

music to live by
Hearing Guitar Man by Bread just now has soothed me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/03/07 at 3:03 am

Hearing Guitar Man by Bread just now has soothed me.
that one is for the 70's Nostalgic songs 
love it

Written By: Howard on 12/03/07 at 6:50 am

Wow,Big crowd that day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 6:52 am

Wow,Big crowd that day.
There was a few empty seats, but the auditorium must had been 95% full.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/07 at 11:33 am

If you want to stick with the Beethoven theme, you can always go with Fur Elise or my personal favorite Moonlight Sonata.  If there were 1 piece that I could play on the piano-I mean REALLY play, it would be Moonlight Sonata.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 11:37 am

If you want to stick with the Beethoven theme, you can always go with Fur Elise or my personal favorite Moonlight Sonata.  If there were 1 piece that I could play on the piano-I mean REALLY play, it would be Moonlight Sonata.

Cat
Yes there are the Piano Sonatas and String Quartets, of which I only have a small section on the computer.

Once I did try to learn the Moonlight Sonata on the piano, but my fingers could not stretch the required span to play properly.

Check for new replies or respond here...