inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Store offers Ham for Chanukah

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/07 at 1:20 am

I wish I were kidding... from the CBS 2 New in NYC

http://wcbstv.com/local/grocery.store.ham.2.604304.html

Subject: Re: Store offers Ham for Chanukah

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/07 at 5:20 am

Well, not all Jewish people observe the kosher rules.

About a year ago I went to dinner with four Jewish people.  Since I am not expert on kosher rules, I ordered the same food as my Jewish buddy, so as to not offend anyone.  Two of the guests were foreigners and did not speak English real well, so my buddy ordered for them too.

When they brought out the appetizers (shrimp cocktail, roasted shrimp, and fried calimari) the two foreigners (Orthodox Jewish at that!) got up and walked out on us because the food was not kosher.

I later learned that if you want to eat kosher, an Italian restaurants is probably not going to be a good idea.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/07 at 6:22 am

Even so, this is a bad idea.  The fact that this is in New York City is worse, what kind of a vacuum are these guys living in?  The next quote from the owners will probably  be "some of best friends are..."

Written By: Howard on 12/07/07 at 7:23 am

Happy Hammukah,everyone! ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/07/07 at 9:29 am

;D + karma

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/07 at 1:17 pm

My dad sent me a link to this story. I was going to post it but it seems someone has beaten me to the punch.  ;)  I can't say that my family is kosher. I remember hearing stories about either my grandfather or great-grandfather (or both) who was supposed to be orthodox, every Sunday going to a Chinese restaurant and order sweet & sour pork.  :o :o  A few years ago, we took my grandmother out for lunch. She lives in a Jewish retirement community and yes, she ordered a ham sandwich. I made a comment to her about that. She said that many of the people in the community often get treife (non-kosher) because they get tired of eating kosher ALL THE TIME!!

This funniest thing happened a few years ago (and I know I told this story before). I was out in Tulsa visiting my sister and it was during Passover. The community where my grandmother lives, was having a sader dinner and most of my family who lives there-plus me & my dad who was also visiting, joined. For those of you are not familiar with the sader-it starts off with this ritual, half way through, you eat dinner, and then finish the ceremony. When it came time for dinner, my sister said, "So, what is dinner? Pork?" Oh man, I almost died. I thought she knew more about our Jewish heritage than that. Dad set her straight.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 12/07/07 at 4:00 pm

About a year ago I went to dinner with four Jewish people.  Since I am not expert on kosher rules, I ordered the same food as my Jewish buddy, so as to not offend anyone.  Two of the guests were foreigners and did not speak English real well, so my buddy ordered for them too.

When they brought out the appetizers (shrimp cocktail, roasted shrimp, and fried calimari) the two foreigners (Orthodox Jewish at that!) got up and walked out on us because the food was not kosher.

I later learned that if you want to eat kosher, an Italian restaurants is probably not going to be a good idea.   ;D
That's true.My brother in law is Jewish but eats pork and shrimp.His dad doesn't eat red meat.His sister is a vegetarian.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/07 at 12:08 am

Dang the one karma a day rule!!!

Even so, this is a bad idea.  The fact that this is in New York City is worse, what kind of a vacuum are these guys living in?  The next quote from the owners will probably  be "some of best friends are..."

I agree, I know not every Jewish person is kosher but I would think a store would want to air on the side of caution...after all its probably more offensive to offer ham than to not. I would think...

Written By: MLB on 12/08/07 at 1:00 am

Even someone not of the faith understands what a faux pas that was!

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/08/07 at 1:15 am

XD It would be funny if the store were kidding and everybody's just treating it as a big deal.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/07 at 7:09 am

Could it be Jewish Ham?

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/07 at 10:35 am

Could it be Jewish Ham?

what like Seinfeld  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/08/07 at 11:28 am

Could it be Jewish Ham?

Mm... You mean like Jam?

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/07 at 1:16 pm

Mm... You mean like Jam?

;D

Written By: Marian on 12/08/07 at 4:06 pm

I've read they even have pork in isreal.

Check for new replies or respond here...